How would rate the Dreamcast in terms of best consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shuffle-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shuffle-Fan
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
For me, it's very close to being the numberone best console of all time. The PS2 library while not in the same category as high rating games, has just too much and the BC makes it have all the playstation games to so WINNR IS THEY. But the DC has such great games and it is now appearing in best console lists like it deserves. It flopped and failed, but unlike most systems, left ton of great games.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Is it a good console? Absolutely with a great library of games, and some of the best multiplatform versions of games between PS1, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast.

However the best console? No, not even. NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, Sega Genesis; all beat it out, IMO, and probably in the majority of other people's eyes, as well.

BTW, how many accounts does this guy need running at once?

Goldflower1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Goldflower1234
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts
Dreamcast would have been much better with cartridges.
Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Dreamcast is the God of Arcade ports !

LJSEXAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJSEXAY
Member since 2007 • 1866 Posts
The best....
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
It's a nice console. It's nowhere near the best console.
Avatar image for RumblSmoothSkin
RumblSmoothSkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RumblSmoothSkin
Member since 2011 • 41 Posts

The Dreamcast is in my top 5 consoles easily. It was by far the biggest jump forward throughout the generations of consoles. I remember vividly jumping from PS1 & N64 to the Dreamcast. It brought online play to the living room and away from the computer, many games ran at 60 frames per second way before Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony. And they sold it for $199.99, with a great selection of games right out of the gate. They did everything right, and sold many consoles before Sony just cashed in on the DVD hype.

I believe that if Sega had the funds, and drive to continue on, the Dreamcast would have had many more killer titles, competed well with Xbox Live, and sold more than the Xbox and Gamecube.

The Dreamcast did not fail. The gamers failed the Dreamcast.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Amazing console. Not near the top. Not even the best SEGA console. Saturn > Genesis > Master System > Dreamcast > Game Gear > SEGA CD > 32X
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts

The Dreamcast is in my top 5 consoles easily. It was by far the biggest jump forward throughout the generations of consoles. I remember vividly jumping from PS1 & N64 to the Dreamcast. It brought online play to the living room and away from the computer, many games ran at 60 frames per second way before Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony. And they sold it for $199.99, with a great selection of games right out of the gate. They did everything right, and sold many consoles before Sony just cashed in on the DVD hype.

I believe that if Sega had the funds, and drive to continue on, the Dreamcast would have had many more killer titles, competed well with Xbox Live, and sold more than the Xbox and Gamecube.

The Dreamcast did not fail. The gamers failed the Dreamcast.

RumblSmoothSkin
You said it! Especially the last sentence.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

it's my 2nd favorite after the saturn. but it's close

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

It's all about perspective. Wen it was released and in its short lifespan, it was the greatest console to have ever existed. From the moment it released, it had the best launch lineup ever for a console, and it kept pumping incredible games after incredible games each month. Not to mention how ahead of its time it was with its focus on online and the huge bump in graphics.

Now a days, most of its games have ben either ported elswere or improved upon in sequels. That doesn't mean that the originals cease to exist on the Dreamcast, so that doesn't take away from its greatness, but it does hit a huge dent in it.

It's still a great console, but the Saturn is a much better console to own because it has many more unique games and exclusives, these days.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

It's still a great console, but the Saturn is a much better console to own because it has many more unique games and exclusives, these days.Lucianu

Disagree.

I have stacks of games on both (like 70-80 per console), Dreamcast gets significantly more play.

6/10 scoring Dreamcast games are usually better than 8/10 scoring Saturn games

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#13 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Is it a good console? Absolutely with a great library of games, and some of the best multiplatform versions of games between PS1, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast.

However the best console? No, not even. NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, Sega Genesis; all beat it out, IMO, and probably in the majority of other people's eyes, as well.

Emerald_Warrior

I prefer the Dreamcast over the NES... but otherwise, the other consoles are better.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jag85

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]It's still a great console, but the Saturn is a much better console to own because it has many more unique games and exclusives, these days.Domino_slayer

Disagree.

I have stacks of games on both (like 70-80 per console), Dreamcast gets significantly more play.

I think he's probably referring to the Saturn's Japanese library, which had a lot of unique games that never saw the light of day in the West. The Saturn was the most successful Sega console in Japan, so naturally, it had their best Japanese library. On the other hand, the Saturn's Western library was a lot more limited.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silent_bomber

I think he's probably referring to the Saturn's Japanese library, which had a lot of unique games that never saw the light of day in the West.Jag85

I've never agreed with this, as far as I'm concerned at least 80% of the best Saturn games were released in the west.

Japan's Saturn exclusives largely consist of 2D fighting game updates and scrolling shmups.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lucianu

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]It's still a great console, but the Saturn is a much better console to own because it has many more unique games and exclusives, these days.Domino_slayer

Disagree.

Jesus, i have a much smaller collection of games for both. It's ben about a half a year since i touched the DC, but i'm always going back to the Saturn. I'll take Panzer Dragoon 1 'n Zwei over Rez any day, for example. But then again, i'm really thinking of replaying Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage on the DC, i absolutely love that game, and there's nothing on the Saturn or any other console for that matter, that scratches that Berserk fan itch in me. 

I would go back and forth between picking my favorite between the DC and the Saturn all day long, but the thing that seals the deal for me is the fact that the Dreamcast didn't have any quality JRPGs except for .. three that i can think off, one of which (Skies of Arcadia) kind of sucked hard for me because of the random encounters. I strongly dislike that game.. And the handful of Saturn JRPGs dwarf the JRPGs the Dreamcast.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silent_bomber

but the thing that seals the deal for me is the fact that the Dreamcast didn't have any quality JRPGs except for .. three that i can think off, one of which (Skies of Arcadia) kind of sucked hard for me because of the random encounters. I strongly dislike that game.. And the handful of Saturn JRPGs dwarf the JRPGs the Dreamcast.Lucianu

If you're mainly interested in RPGs then its not surprising you'd prefer the Saturn I guess

Though I don't agree with you about Skies of Arcadia sucking hard at all

I'll take Panzer Dragoon 1 'n Zwei over Rez any day, for example.Lucianu

Rez is one of my favourite games ever made, Zwei I find fun but can take or leave, the 1st i found passable.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
It's a good console but not even close to the best for me.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Dreamcast would have been much better with cartridges.Goldflower1234
Cartridges with that much data in 1999 would have been a LOT more expensive than the system itself. However, if it would have had DVD playback, it would have stood a better chance against the PlayStation 2. As far as the topic, I'd rate the Dreamcast in my top 10 favorite systems.
unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts

It's not as good as the Vectrex.

And in the grand scheme of things if you're not first you're last.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

The Dreamcast is not even that good a console imo. I might rank Xbox, Saturn, or N64 as being better.

Dreamcast has SA2.. but so does Gamecube. (which is another bad console.. oh the irony)

Goldflower1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Goldflower1234
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts
[QUOTE="Goldflower1234"]Dreamcast would have been much better with cartridges.Stinger78
Cartridges with that much data in 1999 would have been a LOT more expensive than the system itself. However, if it would have had DVD playback, it would have stood a better chance against the PlayStation 2. As far as the topic, I'd rate the Dreamcast in my top 10 favorite systems.

SD Cards
youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

Caseytappy
this
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]I think he's probably referring to the Saturn's Japanese library, which had a lot of unique games that never saw the light of day in the West.Domino_slayer

I've never agreed with this, as far as I'm concerned at least 80% of the best Saturn games were released in the west.

Japan's Saturn exclusives largely consist of 2D fighting game updates and scrolling shmups.

And what about all those Japan-exclusive RPG's? 

tehMoerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tehMoerz
Member since 2012 • 54 Posts
Number 1
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 silent_bomber

And what about all those Japan-exclusive RPG's?Jag85

There really isn't that many, the biggest ones we missed were Grandia, and the Shining Force sequels, maybe Dragon Force 2 & Langrisser games

There were also some PS1 ports

Wachenroeder looks like it could be cool.

Princess Crown is ok(ish)

I don't think those, added to the rest makes up more than 20% of the best games to be honest, and in regards to the original point (which was Saturn Vs Dreamcast exclusives) many of those RPGs can be found elsewhere, just like Dreamcast's games (except in Saturn's case its easier to buy them elsewhere too)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]And what about all those Japan-exclusive RPG's?Domino_slayer

There really isn't that many, the biggest ones we missed were Grandia, and the Shining Force sequels, maybe Dragon Force 2 & Langrisser games

There were also some PS1 ports

Wachenroeder looks like it could be cool.

Princess Crown is ok(ish)

I don't think those, added to the rest makes up more than 20% of the best games to be honest, and in regards to the original point (which was Saturn Vs Dreamcast exclusives) many of those RPGs can be found elsewhere, just like Dreamcast's games (except in Saturn's case its easier to buy them elsewhere too)

Also the Lunar series, Sakura Wars series, rare Megami Tensei games, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3, Guardian Heroes, and plenty more. The Saturn had a large Japanese RPG library that managed to hold its own even against the PS1. The Japanese Saturn also had a pretty large library of adventure games and visual novels. So yeah, it wasn't just fighters and shmups, but the Japanese Saturn had a lot more to offer than just those.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silent_bomber

Also the Lunar series, Sakura Wars series, rare Megami Tensei games, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3, Guardian Heroes, and plenty more. The Saturn had a large Japanese RPG library that managed to hold its own even against the PS1. The Japanese Saturn also had a pretty large library of adventure games and visual novels. So yeah, it wasn't just fighters and shmups, but the Japanese Saturn had a lot more to offer than just those.Jag85

Eh? Panzer Dragoon Saga & Guardian Heroes aren't Japanese exclusives

Did you forget what we were talking about? :|

And no, the Saturn RPG library may have been good, but it was a complete joke in comparison to the PS1, not even remotely arguable.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lucianu

[QUOTE="Jag85"]Also the Lunar series, Sakura Wars series, rare Megami Tensei games, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3, Guardian Heroes, and plenty more. The Saturn had a large Japanese RPG library that managed to hold its own even against the PS1. The Japanese Saturn also had a pretty large library of adventure games and visual novels. So yeah, it wasn't just fighters and shmups, but the Japanese Saturn had a lot more to offer than just those.Domino_slayer

And no, the Saturn RPG library may have been good, but it was a complete joke in comparison to the PS1, not even remotely arguable.

Cliche as it may sound, Panzer Dragoon Saga is unlike anything els on the PS1. There's no grinding involved at all, the battle system is unique and fun with an incredible depth, it's linear but just at the right pace (it sure as hell not as linear as FF XIII for example), it's fun to control the dragon, it's very cinematic and fully voice acted, and it's at a sweet spot of 15 - 20 hours.

I honestly think this game is built by modern standards. It blew me away. It's like the developers took a trip into the future, and tried to build a JRPG, by modern standards, on a 5th generation system. It blows away any JRPGs, today or then, in its uniqueness.

But, yeah.. i gotta hand it to the PS1. There are just way to many quality JRPGs on that system. Panzer Dragoon Saga may be unique and fun, but it cannot compete with an army of PS1 JRPGs dripping with quality, like Xenogears, Suikoden II, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story and Persona 2.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]Also the Lunar series, Sakura Wars series, rare Megami Tensei games, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3, Guardian Heroes, and plenty more. The Saturn had a large Japanese RPG library that managed to hold its own even against the PS1. The Japanese Saturn also had a pretty large library of adventure games and visual novels. So yeah, it wasn't just fighters and shmups, but the Japanese Saturn had a lot more to offer than just those.Domino_slayer

A "complete joke" would be the N64 RPG library. The Saturn RPG library managed to hold its own that gen, or at least about as much as the Mega Drive RPG's managed against the superior SNES RPG library.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 silent_bomber

Cliche as it may sound, Panzer Dragoon Saga is unlike anything els on the PS1. There's no grinding involved at all, the battle system is unique and fun with an incredible depth, it's linear but just at the right pace (it sure as hell not as linear as FF XIII for example), it's fun to control the dragon, it's very cinematic and fully voice acted, and it's at a sweet spot of 15 - 20 hours.Lucianu

I agree that Panzer Dragoon Saga is amongst the best RPGs of that generation, but not that it is the best.

A "complete joke" would be the N64 RPG library. The Saturn RPG library managed to hold its own that genJag85

If I made a list of the 20 best RPGs on that gen, Saturn would have 2 or 3 and the PS1 would have the remaining 17 or 18

That's pretty far from holding its own In my opinion

You're comparing a system which has one of the biggest, and strongest RPG line-ups of any retro console, with one that is merely good

at least about as much as the Mega Drive RPG's managed against the superior SNES RPG library.Jag85

That's really not saying much. :)

NinjaLegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NinjaLegacy
Member since 2012 • 189 Posts
Dreamcast could have hung with the big 3 if it would have had 2 thumbsticks and DVD playback.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bultje112

Dreamcast could have hung with the big 3 if it would have had 2 thumbsticks and DVD playback. NinjaLegacy

ugh no not this bull**** again

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Dreamcast could have hung with the big 3 if it would have had 2 thumbsticks and DVD playback. NinjaLegacy
That wouldn't have worked out. Had they gone with a DVD drive when the system first released (1998 in Japan) the price would have been a lot higher. The Dreamcast failed primarily because nobody trusted SEGA anymore -- neither developers, publishers, nor gamers. Any other issues people point out are ancillary (piracy, disc format, PS2 hype, advertising, controller, et cetera) at best. They contributed, but the Dreamcast could have overcome all of them if they had consumer trust. And even if it had none of those issues, it would have failed just as it did without said trust. Think about how people viewed SEGA during the Dreamcast's pre-release and immediate post-release (1997-2000). SEGA had released two expensive add-ons to the Genesis in the 32X and SEGA CD, then promptly abandoned both. They had recently released the Nomad, and also promptly abandoned it. The Saturn was insanely hard to program for and had a very truncated lifespan in the West. Plus SEGA was still publishing games for the Genesis, PC, arcades, and even Master System (mostly in South America at that point in time). SEGA spread their resources too thin and could not convince gamers or publishers that they would support the Dreamcast in the long haul. Electronic Arts and Square were the two most important third parties of that era and neither supported the Dreamcast.
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silent_bomber

Dreamcast failed primarily because nobody trusted SEGA anymore -- neither developers, publishers, nor gamers. Any other issues people point out are ancillary (piracy, disc format, PS2 hype, advertising, controller, et cetera) at best.famicommander

I agree that weak brand name was one of the major issues, but I think the PS2 hype machine/lies definitely affected things.

If you look at old forum posts from ~2000 many people honestly believe that the PS2 is going to be doing >50 million polygons in game in comparison to Dreamcast doing 3 million, and there's a very widespread feeling that when the big consoles arrive the Dreamcast is going to be very, very underpowered.

Avatar image for RumblSmoothSkin
RumblSmoothSkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RumblSmoothSkin
Member since 2011 • 41 Posts

[QUOTE="famicommander"]Dreamcast failed primarily because nobody trusted SEGA anymore -- neither developers, publishers, nor gamers. Any other issues people point out are ancillary (piracy, disc format, PS2 hype, advertising, controller, et cetera) at best.Domino_slayer

I agree that weak brand name was one of the major issues, but I think the PS2 hype machine/lies definitely affected things.

If you look at old forum posts from ~2000 many people honestly believe that the PS2 is going to be doing >50 million polygons in game in comparison to Dreamcast doing 3 million, and there's a very widespread feeling that when the big consoles arrive the Dreamcast is going to be very, very underpowered.

I have old Game Informers, EGM magazines, and funcoland catalogs just before the PS2's release. Upon looking back and reading, I agree that the PS2 was hyped far too much. From the articles the PS2 was 10x as powerful as the Dreamcast, had way more games coming out of the gate, and played these new things called DVD's and your Playstation back catalog. They hinted that Sony was pushing online and on and on. Aside from backwards compatible and DVD's the rest was just hype.

The Xbox and Gamecube were not hyped near as much when looking back, yet they were more powerful than said PS2. ;)

LAN7ERN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LAN7ERN
Member since 2013 • 352 Posts
It's the fifth best console.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bultje112

the true reason dreamcast failed in the end was because sega was far too much into debt. they couldn't sustain it despite the best launch ever of any system and modest sales upon that. would it have continued it would've outsold gamecube for instance going by year to year sales. also despite what people may say, piracy hurt the dreamcast more than anything. software sales plumeted after the dreamcast got hacked in august of 2000

Shuffle-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shuffle-Fan

[QUOTE="NinjaLegacy"]Dreamcast could have hung with the big 3 if it would have had 2 thumbsticks and DVD playback. bultje112

Gamcube proves you wrong.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="NinjaLegacy"]Dreamcast could have hung with the big 3 if it would have had 2 thumbsticks and DVD playback. Shuffle-Fan

GameCube didn't have DVD playback, unless you have a lot of extra dough lying around to pay for a Panasonic Q model.

Shuffle-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shuffle-Fan

[QUOTE="Shuffle-Fan"][QUOTE="bultje112"]

Emerald_Warrior

GameCube didn't have DVD playback, unless you have a lot of extra dough lying around to pay for a Panasonic Q model.

That is what I meant.
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Had potential, but wasn't around long enough to side with the "greats". The library isn't varied enough to catch the attention of every type of gamer out there. Unless you're a hardcore Sega fan with the money to spend on those Japanese imports most gamers don't really care for, the Western library is pretty slim for someone like me.

It's a good console, but I feel the majority of the love it's getting now is just people looking back with rose-tinted glasses. It happens with a lot of "good" consoles that just didn't reach "great" back in the day. Consoles like the N64, which many people consider sub-par at best, still had many ground-breaking games that served to guide a fledgling turning point in gaming history. The Dreamcast, however, was just fun. Many of its features were being experimented with before its time.

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts

Caseytappy
But, if you're really into arcade games, why wouldn't you get a frankenstiened MVS?
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="NinjaLegacy"]Dreamcast could have hung with the big 3 if it would have had 2 thumbsticks and DVD playback. Shuffle-Fan

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bultje112

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Shuffle-Fan"] Gamcube proves you wrong.Shuffle-Fan

That is what I meant.

that's not what you meant and if you did you are really an idiot.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jag85

Had potential, but wasn't around long enough to side with the "greats". The library isn't varied enough to catch the attention of every type of gamer out there. Unless you're a hardcore Sega fan with the money to spend on those Japanese imports most gamers don't really care for, the Western library is pretty slim for someone like me.

It's a good console, but I feel the majority of the love it's getting now is just people looking back with rose-tinted glasses. It happens with a lot of "good" consoles that just didn't reach "great" back in the day. Consoles like the N64, which many people consider sub-par at best, still had many ground-breaking games that served to guide a fledgling turning point in gaming history. The Dreamcast, however, was just fun. Many of its features were being experimented with before its time.

WiiCubeM1

Looking back at it today, with modern-tinted glasses, of course you wouldn't really see what the big deal was (i.e. Seinfeld is Unfunny). Unless you were around back then, as a Dreamcast owner, you wouldn't really understand what the fuss was about. What made it stand out back then was how much it pushed console gaming forward (i.e. true arcade-quality 3D graphics, worldwide online gaming on consoles, analog shoulder buttons, etc.) and the almost unparalleled number of quality games (many of them innovative in their own ways) it had in such a short time span. It was a great system that had everything going for it, and yet failed simply because of Sega's many bad business decisions over the years. The reason why there's so much nostalgia for the Dreamcast is because of "what could have been" had Sega made the right choices. The Dreamcast's lifespan was cut too short, so we never really got to see its full potential.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
I actually think it's the weakest of Sega consoles
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Shuffle-Fan"] Gamcube proves you wrong.Shuffle-Fan

That is what I meant.

That's hardly representative of the PS2's DVD playback, though. The Panasonic Q model of the GameCube is quite rare to come across and expensive, NOT accessible to the masses. While on the other hand, the PS2 had DVD playback on every single model and is VERY cheap and accessible for the masses.