How often do you listen to game critics (mainly G.S.)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

I've noticed that some critics' reviews (particulary on GameSpot) have been quite odd lately...Infamous 2 getting a 7.5 despite massive praise and backlash from fans, Duke Nukem Forever gets a surprisingly pathetic 3.0/10 and I was even surprised by Mortal Kombat's rating, thinking it deserved higher (at least a 9).

Do you usually listen to the reviews on this site or other game sites, or do you choose not to listen to reviews at all and make your own judgement upon playing?

I'm thinking about getting Infamous 2 but the only thing holding me back is the 7.5....I know it's a stupid mindset to have but that's the same score that Star Wars: The Force Unleashed got and I was constantly frustrated with that game throughout.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Rarely ever, unless it's something I'm on the fence about like LImbo or a game I've not researched as well.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i read reviews but i dont think "this game got a 7 and this game got an 8. ill get the 8." i usually have at least some curiosity in a game if im reading reviews. beyond that, i just want to see how people are feeling about the game from a critical standpoint (for numerous reasons, reviews tend to be truer opinions than previews). it may impact my purchase or it may not. for some reason, a few people seem to think that anybody who takes reviews into account for their purchases approach them with the mindset "tell me what to think, internet gods!"
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I use reviews to determine an immediate purchase. I don't really care if the reviewer says the game has a good story or something like that, but I usually listen for things like how long the game will last. If I watch gameplay videos and I think it looks like it'll entertain me, I'll get it. If I hear it only lasts 4 hours in a review though I'll wait for a price drop.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

I've noticed that some critics' reviews (particulary on GameSpot) have been quite odd lately...Infamous 2 getting a 7.5 despite massive praise and backlash from fans, Duke Nukem Forever gets a surprisingly pathetic 3.0/10 and I was even surprised by Mortal Kombat's rating, thinking it deserved higher (at least a 9).

Do you usually listen to the reviews on this site or other game sites, or do you choose not to listen to reviews at all and make your own judgement upon playing?

I'm thinking about getting Infamous 2 but the only thing holding me back is the 7.5....I know it's a stupid mindset to have but that's the same score that Star Wars: The Force Unleashed got and I was constantly frustrated with that game throughout.

Tigerman950

I always read the Gamespot reviews and check the user reviews before I buy a game, but I ultimately decide based on whether or not the game looks interesting to me. The Gamespot ratings are not always on the mark, like the 9.0 rating and Editor's Choice for the awful L.A. Noire. I also suspect that there is some surreptitious manipulation of the user ratings by people with a vested interest in promoting certain games, so you have to take all of it with a grain of salt.

Ultimately, buy games that interest you, enjoy them if you like them and write them off if you don't.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
I read the reviews but ignore the scores.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Never. Reviews are just opinions with a number tacked on.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
Never, unless I'm really on the fence about a game.
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

I only look at critic reviews of games I already have/like so I can get angry about them being wrong and stuff. Entertaining.

Other than that, I never look at reviews.

If I listened, I wouldn't have played one of my favorite games this gen.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
It depends upon the established track record of the reviewer. I place a lot of weight to Kevin's reviews, as he's been spot-on for a long time. I disregarded a game review once, and it turned out it was at my own peril.:P The game was indeed as bad as the review said it was.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I look at Gamespot, IGN, gameinformers critic and user reviews and that will generally give you a good idea of the product.

Usually when a critic messes up the user reviews will explain what they were wrong about.

fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts

i use reviews like i use rotten tomatoes.. if the game is fresh (9.0 or higher) i play it (mainly because of the terribly low bar we have for video games now a days) this has worked to my advantage alot

the last game i didnt listen to this was FONV and that was a horrible game

now sometimes a game gets a rating it does not deserve and the reviewer was just doing a terrible job that day (lost odyssey and infamous 2(i didnt really enjoy infamous 2 but christ its better then FONV and enslaved)) but for the most part especially now if a game gets under a 9 its usually either a bad/increadibly generic game which by no means is worth a 60 dollar price tag or the reviewer did a terrible job... i think the whole review system needs a hard reboot to what it use to be(i mean christ starfox 64 got a 8 and so did deus ex)

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#13 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Pretty often. Though I only take their word into consideration rather than take it as fact. Heck, the only reason I read reviews much these days is just to see what certain critics whose writing I enjoy thought.

ZEYAAM898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 ZEYAAM898
Member since 2009 • 1921 Posts
I read user reviews before buying games. And i also check gamespot "Bad things about game" list.
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Yeah. I also look at other reviews or their reception and scores. It depends entirely on my interest, however.
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
I generally listen to them a lot. Someone must play the crap so we don't have to. Sure, there are underrated games around and to be honest, thanks to critics, I've played more overrated games than I have played underrated ones. But honestly, i don't see anything wrong with listening to the general critic consensus. Gaming takes a lot of time and money. A new one costs upwards of $60 and you'd need time to play them. You don't want to have the waste time and money on something awful, or something great that simply doesn't last for more than a few hours, especially when a lot of gamers have a lot going on in their lives. I don't even know how I'm supposed to fit in playing all of today's higher-rated games in between juggling things I have going on in life, let alone experimenting with lower-scored games and simply hoping that Gamespot is wrong. I usually aim for games that both critics and most gamers praise.
Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

Very, very rare.

If I do it is usually customer reviews on places like Amazon. But even then I read through high and low scores looking for common themes.

For example, I recently looked into replacing 3Wire DSl modem with a D-Link. According to multiple customer reviews it was 50-50 connecting to AT&T and ran hot. Because of this I passed.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
I prefer player reviews as a guide, they always seem to resemble my opinion more than a critic.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#19 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
I've found GS reviews to hold a fair amount of objectivity, for the most part. I've only really disagreed with their GTA4, MGS4, and Mirror's Edge reviews. As I can't afford to buy every game that piques my interest, yes, I do rely on this site to give me a general idea what to expect. Unless the game looks so amazing I just have to play it (I know the new Deus Ex is going to be great), I listen to GS.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Never. Seriously, never. Take some time and look through their review archive. The scores are unbelievable dating as far back as the 90's to present day. How could you trust GS? Or any critic reviewer for that matter? I trust user opinions more.
disneyanime91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 disneyanime91
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts

Never :D I disagree with almost all of the reviews that Gamespot gives my games, and I'm an impulse gamer, so whatever I see on the shelves that looks interesting, I buy. Plus I'm a sucker for movie games, sequels, soap-opera storiesand anime-ish designs.

That being said, on the matters of entertaining myself, I stick by this: "The only opinion that matters is my own."

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I don't even have the Gamespot site bookmarked any more, just the forum index. That's how often I listen to what their critics have to say. I've played too many highly rated games and thought they were crap, and too many low rated games and thought they were great, to have any further use for their opinions.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

That would be never.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#24 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

i see GS as a consumer advice service. i don't think they are critics as such..