bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bluedeathking
Member since 2009 • 493 Posts

Just curious since I'm much older now then I was back in high school. Around high school I could beat a game within the first day or weekend. Pretty much the same with college. Now though to beat those same games I used to play may take me weeks or even months maybe a year depending on how I'm invested in the game or what's going on around me. I'm becoming more interested in games that are short and simple now compare to games that are long, ton of grinding, and overly complex.

gaeandilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gaeandilth
Member since 2010 • 797 Posts

Exact opposite for me. Can not go back to HS because games were not really made to "clear" yet. 80s was atari and nintendo. And a few games like the FF series and zelda were about clearing but they took a decent amount of time. Really would have to compare it to the release of the playstation. And there were some games on the original PS that soaked up TONS of my time.

Then in the 2000s MMOs my god the playtime. Could not even guess how much time I put into EQ, FFXI, WoW. And I still played some massive playtime single player games. Was about 2008 when playtime started its decline. And the age of suck began.

These days there is not much released I do not clear in one sitting. And online games usually hit that progression wall in a few days to a week. Few days ago I started a new character on diablo 3 in the new season and hit paragon 1000 in a single sitting. Have not had much to play all year. Do not even bother with games like Ghosts of noplaytime because I know I would spend 60 bucks for an afternoon of entertainment. Rather go fishing.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

Depends. With jrpg could take me 2-3 weeks in a 50 hour campaign and around 3-4 hour per session.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#4 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

For me, I generally play games for 1-2 hours and then I need a break. With friends, I can go longer.

If it's a shorter game, I have the time and am interested enough, it can take me a few days. If it's longer, 1 week or more.

Sometimes I find myself taking a few days off from a game that's fairly long. Then, eventually coming back to it and finishing it up fairly quickly. Not rushing through, just putting a good amount of time into it.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12804 Posts

As many hours I spend on them, usually I'm all about daily FPS challenges (Apex, Valorant) so it leaves me around 1-2 hours to play single player games, last game I've finished was Just Cause 4 which took me around 28 hours liberating all of the map - not including activities which are a lot and I'm not a completionist.

Got tons of good titles to beat which are waiting on my list.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Really depends, but if it's a long RPG, oftentimes it can take me upwards of a month or more. As an adult I don't have the time to plow through games like that like I used to.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

By World of Warcraft’s standards, 16 years...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

It's rare that I beat a game within a year. Usually get about halfway through, then take a break and move on to something else, then forget I even started the first game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

Tend to beat first playthroughs quicker than the estimated average.

This is less to do with skill and notably because I rarely care about secrets on a first playthrough, I'm in it for the surprise and interesting gameplay. Dialogue, story, and lore are rarely a reason I invest in games as well, given the chance I will avoid those things. Chase for when games get tense and interesting; as a result usually ends quicker than expected.

If I liked a game enough to finish it at all? chances are I'll play again and then look for secrets, that is unless it was crazy short, which can happen.

Otherwise if a game is lame I'll give up after a few hours anyway, so if that's not enough time to beat the game I've already moved onto something else. Story Open World Adventures such as Far Cry and Red Dead Redemption are great examples of games I get bored with relatively quickly. Seeing as they offer little in the gameplay department, zero depth, very simple. Know the hook is for fans that just want vistas and cutscenes. That's just not for me personally.

*On that note I don't play many huge RPG games as I find them too time consuming. Most I've played have enjoyed though, most.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Depends on the genre. On average I'd say one month.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

sometimes a month.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

Pretty slow at games, typically 12 hours at the least for most that have an average playtime of 6-8.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

it depends on work, most games take me a few weeks now, but during lock down in a day or 2. I really hate that I have no time now for gaming. I cannot play a game if I've only got an hour because by the time I really get into I've got to stop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I take my time, as I don't fast travel and love exploration.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I take my time with it especially if it's a new title. If it's a game I'm replaying I'll skip the cutscenes and will finish it alot faster.

K-Rock-XP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 K-Rock-XP
Member since 2005 • 201 Posts

@bluedeathking said:

Just curious since I'm much older now then I was back in high school. Around high school I could beat a game within the first day or weekend. Pretty much the same with college. Now though to beat those same games I used to play may take me weeks or even months maybe a year depending on how I'm invested in the game or what's going on around me. I'm becoming more interested in games that are short and simple now compare to games that are long, ton of grinding, and overly complex.

I have the same issue. I don’t bother with games over 30 hrs unless it got perfect 10’s and I stick to the main story and adjust difficulty so I can enjoy the story. I really liked Spider-Man and started getting pissed off while playing it. Took down the difficulty and enjoyed the rest of the play through. For me that seems to be key. Sometimes these devs get too into wash rinse repeat scenes. When I was younger I didn’t know any better. Now I see and it bothers me. Adjusting difficult up and down helps keep me engage.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#19 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

Months as I am in no rush to beat a game.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#20 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

I'm patient gamer, I try to finish most of quests before last mission, from 50-100 hours.

HankMulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HankMulder
Member since 2020 • 203 Posts

Let me just say I've got TLOU2 on release and still playing it.
I'm fairly certain I'm at the end but I'm not done almost 2 months since it came out.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I'm kind of in the same boat. Nowadays I lack the patience for really long games (which are usually RPGs) and prefer shorter ones (8-16 hours long). Those I usually power through and finish in 1-2 weeks. Only bother with long games that I'm really hooked on, like P4G at the moment. It might take a couple of months to finish those.