How important is the story in a game for you?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

For me it's probably the most important thing. The characters have to be good and the story itself just as good. Where would you rank how important the story of the game is overall?

Redxlll3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Redxlll3
Member since 2006 • 31 Posts

For me it depends on the kind of game but story definitely matters, character development and having a reason to keep playing is most important to really get engaged.
Also having a great story really adds to replay value.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Story is key for me, without a story the game is absolute useless to me.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#4 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Its its a story heavy game like something Telltale makes or a Bioware RPG, then its fairly important. however for most games, if the gameplay is good enough, I dont care if the story is straight nonsene or not.

Xanatos357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 Xanatos357
Member since 2015 • 787 Posts

Until I played Shadow of Mordor, I thought story was make or break for a game. I still think story is an important part and I enjoy them, but if the gameplay is fantastic, then story can take a backseat.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I would prefer if a game has a strong story. Otherwise, I can't get invested. It's the main reason why many supposedly great games - like Diablo 3 recently - fell flat for me. Great gameplay, sure, really forgettable story. It just doesn't work well for me if there's no effort thrown into the story, with very few exceptions.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
  1. Story
  2. Characters
  3. Gameplay
  4. Graphics
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

It depends on the type of game.

TheSeptopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheSeptopus
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts

Depends on the game. I just played Her Story last week and I think it was amazing and the game rides solely on its story's merit alone.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@The_Last_Ride:

Depends on the game, games like call of duty or fifa then not at all. Rpgs and action adventure and it's the most important thing. will not play games with zombie or demon stories.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Redxlll3 said:

For me it depends on the kind of game but story definitely matters, character development and having a reason to keep playing is most important to really get engaged.

Also having a great story really adds to replay value.

Depends on the game type for me as well, but a well written story can make even a mediocre game into something amazing. The best example is probably a game like Spec Ops, where the game itself is a decent (but not extrordinary) TPS but the story made it one of the most talked about games that year.

On the other hand, there are a ton of games that I enjoy that have no story at all. Sandbox games like Minecraft, schumps or schump-like titles like Ikaruga, Resogun, Geometry Wars, etc all work fine without any kind of real narrative. Fighting games often have story and background for their characters, but not a lot of people play a fighting game expecting a "good" story. At best they are usually just laugably funny.

-Byshop

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Some of these responses amaze me.

Gameplay and atmosphere are far more important to me.

The only notable exception that comes to mind is Deus Ex (the original).

Redxlll3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Redxlll3
Member since 2006 • 31 Posts

@Byshop: yeah sandbox games like minecraft don't need a story at all but if a game is made with a narrative and it's written well, I agree it can made a mediocre game amazing, and even make us overlook some issues would otherwise be obvious

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#14 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

I care about story in a video game as much as I care about graphics in a novel.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Story is not important to me in a videogame.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

A bad story can put me off a game if its supposed to be a story driven game but some games only need basic or non-existent stories and am quite happy playing those too. I will buy a game though if the story is recommended as a major selling feature.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Story is the absolute least important thing a game can possibly have. A good story will never push me to play through a game.

1) Gameplay

2) Visuals (gives satisfying feedback to your inputs)

3) music

4) Story (if anything ruins games more than helps them)

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

It really depends on the game. Beat Em Ups for example really have no story besides:

Gang takes over city. Gang leader kid naps main characters love interest or best friend or family member. Gang leader is defeated and main character saves city while saving his friend/family/love interest.

The latest beat em up I have played was Shank and it was a damn fun game with barely any story. Super Meatboy was also an incredibly fun game with hardly any story. Megaman is another game where story wasn't very strong until Megaman X and Megaman 7. So honestly, it really depends on the genre of game that you like. I'm a simple guy who likes old Run N Guns, Beat Em Ups, Shoot Em Ups and Hack N Slashes. For these type of games, gameplay and music are actually more important than the story itself. It is actually acceptable for the story to be weak in these types of games. Devil May Cry is or was one of the biggest Hack N Slash titles and you have to admit that the storyline in those games are really not that great. Fantastic gameplay and soundtracks though.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#19 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

I never expect a good story unless it's relevant to the game. That's how I see it. Some people place a game solely on story, and when they do, they forget gaming is about gameplay first and foremost.

BWHD9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BWHD9
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

I want games to let me make my own "story" through my own actions rather than force-feeding me someone else's. So many games today place the player as nothing but a bit actor acting out someone else's script. I prefer fully interactive games that are open ended.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

very important.. i usually cant get into a game unless there is a good story to follow

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

not very. some of my favourite games dont even have a story and i have enjoyed many a game with an average story.

too many games are also guilty of being completely story driven, at the expense of everything else. not good. how the story is told can make or break a game.

but a game with the right mix of good gameplay, player freedom and good gameplay also goes down well.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

For me it's probably the most important thing. The characters have to be good and the story itself just as good. Where would you rank how important the story of the game is overall?

Yeah story and characters are very important to me too. It's probably the difference between a good game and a great game for me (ie. all my favourite games have great stories/characters).

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Story is something that can help or hurt a game but it can not carry a game. If the only good point of a game is the story or if the game is just an interactive story then it is a poor game.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#26 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6098 Posts

Story matters:Not At All.Not in the slightest.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

how important each aspect of a game is to me it's purely arbitrary. Because if it's a fighting game then I care very little about the story, if it's an RPG then I would say that story is the most important but I liked Dark Souls anyway. But then I played FF12 and hated it with a passion because of the story even though I thought the gameplay was very good. I love DMC's story and gameplay even though the story of the series is ass. Metal Gear's and Yakuza's storylines are a fuking badly written mess yet I like them more than Bioshock's or Planescape's.

So at the end is not even the quality of the gameplay or the story what makes me like a game... In fact, now that I think about it I don't even know why I like the stuff I like. haha But one thing is for sure though, I just don't like Platinum Games.

AfroSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AfroSamurai
Member since 2015 • 42 Posts

Story means nothing to me as long as the game is good.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Depends on the game and gameplay.

If it's something like Unreal tournament then It doesn't require much of a story, same with Racing.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Yeah story and characters are very important to me too. It's probably the difference between a good game and a great game for me (ie. all my favourite games have great stories/characters).

i would say the same

Avatar image for deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8
deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#31  Edited By deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

@The_Last_Ride For me, the Story is a fundamental part of the game. When I review video games, I normally comment about how good or bad the plot is in a game.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

It's not. Even in an RPG, or something like Shenmue, I wouldn't play them if I didn't enjoy the gameplay.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 The_Last_Ride

@mariokarthero said:

@The_Last_Ride For me, the Story is a fundamental part of the game. When I review video games, I normally comment about how good or bad the plot is in a game.

that should always be part of the review

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

its my number one priority .

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

Since I think video games have the capacity to be art, and I like a good story, it is very important to me. Story is pretty much the most important aspect in any form of entertainment for me (anime, movies, games). Especially a good moral dilemma to back up the story to get me thinking. The story can't just be mindless lore or solely rely on plot twists.

However, I also believe a video game should take advantage of its unique medium, and allow the player some important interaction, whether it's to make choices that affect the story, or just interact with the world, enhancing the atmosphere. Some games that do this very well are Bioshock 1, NIER, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, and The Swapper. They all blend their stories with gameplay incredibly seamlessly, and are intellectually engaging.

GeorgeBouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GeorgeBouie
Member since 2014 • 47 Posts

It depends mainly on which type of game I am playing. Only I required is that all the steps must have some unique features so that I will have more fun.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: Not much important because first I have some concentration problem, second English is not my native language and sometimes I don't understand. Third because I'm use to public games that does not say much as a story: No intelligence given is the norm. I'd say that normally, if they gave intelligence with story, I'd be much more interested so more important for me.

Longclaw360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Longclaw360
Member since 2015 • 115 Posts

It depends on the genre. In an RPG, the story is very important. In a platformer, I don't give a damn about the story, just give me great level design.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

It's not. Even in an RPG, or something like Shenmue, I wouldn't play them if I didn't enjoy the gameplay.

I agree with this, for the most part. Though if a game has tons of unskippable dialogue/cutscenes it does need to be atleast interesting. Otherwise I'll switch to a game with a better(or no/less/skippable) story.

Only games where story is my #1 priority are games like Heavy Rain, Telltale games, etc that don't really have much gameplay. (I also don't play those a lot, just now playing Wolf Among Us and haven't touched Beyond Two Souls, Walking Dead Season 2, etc)

Gagomkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#40  Edited By Gagomkd
Member since 2009 • 287 Posts

Extremely important, good stories (add here plot, characters, lore) will keep me playing the game even if graphics suck, the combat or some other feature is totally broken and etc. This rule doesn't apply grand strategy games like EUIV (duh).

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The_Last_Ride

@gmak2442 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Not much important because first I have some concentration problem, second English is not my native language and sometimes I don't understand. Third because I'm use to public games that does not say much as a story: No intelligence given is the norm. I'd say that normally, if they gave intelligence with story, I'd be much more interested so more important for me.

maybe you're playing the wrong games?

Zencero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zencero
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

Story the most important for me graphic next then finally gameplay. Now i would add character development but it pretty much comes with the story. The reason i think story is the most important is that the reason retro games were so popular was because of their amazing stories and let's admit it for most part the game play and graphic sucked for like 95% of those games.

Follow me on Twitch I play League of legends and other games

http://www.twitch.tv/mvpisking/profile

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I care about gameplay, controls, and level design the most. I don't pay attention to the story that much. I appreciate good graphics, but don't understand graphics whoring. People act like it's the most important thing. If you buy games just for graphics, you're doing it wrong.

I can make an exception for the PS3 version of Shadow of Mordor though. That should have been next gen only. The graphics are terrible, even for last gen standards, and the controls are less than desirable.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#44 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Very! If it has some cliche story that has zero thought put into it I would stop playing

Japanese games....

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Depends. If the game's story stands in the way of gameplay and starts bugging me, then yes it matters, if not then gameplay is more important then level design and art and then story.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 The_Last_Ride

@k--m--k said:

Very! If it has some cliche story that has zero thought put into it I would stop playing

Japanese games....

Not all of them are like that though

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@k--m--k said:

Japanese games....

Cliche games are not a problem for me since I played the entire game of Spec Ops a truly write by number with how the plot is made and the dialog said.

I known other that call a story cliche because of one or two elements is common in other stories while ignoring the thought put into the story.

henry4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 henry4
Member since 2013 • 54 Posts

Please don't hate on me, but I don't think an *explicit* story is that important, or even wanted for me. I prefer what is called "environmental storytelling." Just my two examples:

* Myst: the game sequence and visuals make it clear what's happened: you are lost in a world you don't understand and have to explore to make sens of the puzzles. The primary enjoyment comes from figuring out how to proceed. I only read all of the books/journals to find clues to the puzzles, I don't much care what Atrus's father did, or what was their home world called, etc.

* Skyrim: all I need to know is I'm in a medieval fantasy setting, and am about to enter a dungeon/cave to kill some monsters and get some treasure. If the graphics are moody enough to convince me of this, I don't need to know why the king sent me, or why his brother moved to wherever to anger him, or why his lineage...

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

None what so ever. I've played every Dark Souls game and I couldn't tell you one thing about the story. I grew up in a time where there was very little story in games. A lot of modern games seem to have immature stories aimed at 14 year olds.

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

Story is very important to me and it makes or breaks a game for the most part, I mostly stick to story driven games or ARPGS