Having trouble enjoying the mass effect trilogy.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nolanw485
Member since 2016 • 59 Posts

I am on about my 3rd try on trying to enjoy the mass effect trilogy. For some reason I just have trouble enjoying it. I have tried playing all of them besides andromeda, and I have enjoyed mass effect 3 the most out of the other 2.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

If you don't enjoy a game then stop playing it. Move on to something else and have fun.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@nolanw485: Play games you'll have fun playing, not games that you can't enjoy.

We all take risks like trying new and different gaming experiences, and it doesn't always pay off. I myself don't enjoy Bioware RPGs at all, though have only tried the one.

Personally I'd recommend you trade them in and try something else, you've given Mass Effect a fair chance and they're just not for you. I don't know why you're forcing yourself really. Do you feel pressured to play them or something?

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nolanw485

@SOedipus@RSM-HQ: Honestly I haven't found a game I have enjoyed and spent more than like 10 hours on in years. It's not like I'm old and I am busy. I am only 14.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nolanw485

@RSM-HQ: Not pressured I am just having trouble finding a game that I can invest many hours into.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ

@nolanw485: Wasn't trying to bring age or your sparetime into this, my apology if you felt I was demanding a personal answer.

Honestly I haven't found a game I have enjoyed and spent more than like 10 hours on in years.

Then may I recommend you replay some of those older games you liked. It might refresh yourself why you got into gaming, and what you enjoy about them.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nolanw485

@RSM-HQ: Your fine no need to apologize. I have a decent steam library with about 90 games, but I find myself never really playing them. Another problem I have is I don't really have any friends on PC. I switched to PC about a year ago, and left all my friends on the PS4 and Xbox one.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nolanw485

@RSM-HQ: I just wish I could find that game that I could invest for hundreds of hours but I have trouble. I'm not a fan of MMO games and I have tried rpgs like fallout 4 and Skyrim and have not enjoyed them

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Mass Effect 1 has not aged well, imo; I still find it to have an incredible story. The series as a whole, when taken in it's entirety (lore, species, history, story, etc) has a sci-fi setting that rivals most shows, novels, and films.

But as for the gameplay of the first game, I don't think it has aged well. I replayed it about a month ago after beating Andromeda (the first three games) and had a blast, but I really could not wait to get ME1 out of the way.

ME2 was a little better, but I thought they changed things up maybe a little too much in that game; they went a little too action, a little too "badass Shepard" and not enough "RPG Shepard", you know? Still fun, though.

ME3 was where they got it right. Just a great experience overall, really awesome, great RPG, great action. Only thing missing was Jack as a companion :D

I did all the endings, I really don't understand why people were so upset. I mean if you really really read in to the whole thing, then yeah, I get it....but then you've sort of forgotten you're playing a video game at that point and you're expecting a work of art and, well, that's your problem. The endings were entertaining enough.

*flameshield on*

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I'm guessing you never managed to finish any of them, right? These are pretty lengthy games with a lot of time being spent outside of combat interacting with other characters and walking around doing other tasks. The first game may be difficult to appreciate, but the 2nd and 3rd are amazing games by most people's standards. Well, aside from all the hate 3 gets from its ending I suppose. Anyway, tough to say how long you should give these games before moving on. I would think by 5 hours or so you should have a good grasp of what to expect in these games. If you haven't spent more than 10 hours on a game in years, then maybe try playing shorter games. Perhaps something linear that throws you right into the game and progressing is straightforward.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ

@nolanw485: Never played an MMO, or Bethesda game for longer than twenty hours myself. Some of the games are ok. But games I put more time into are Dragon's Dogma (I love the combat system), Monster Hunter 4G (I love everything about the game), and some of the Dark Soul games.

Again, I think you need to rekindle in what you like about games. A big game 'massive open world' does not always mean it's fun. You're clearly seeking for something those games do not provide.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nolanw485

@RSM-HQ: I just wish to get more hours out of the money I spend on games. Like I don't want to spend $45 on a game I beat that took 10 hours. Maybe my love for video games is just dying.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#13 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

You could try Dota 2 on Steam.

It's free to play.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

Mass Effect 1 2 and 3 are probably some of the best video games ever created.

Nuff said.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nolanw485

@darktruth007: That's why I have been trying to enjoy it but having trouble.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RSM-HQ

@nolanw485: It goes back to my repeated mention, find what you like and replay-value comes along with it.

You could find a game with more content than any other franchise (World of Warcraft) but if you don't like the content on display? It's not really a long investment is it_

Know I mentioned some of the games I like but here is an idea for how much I sunk into them. In Monster Hunter 4G I have three custom Hunters, and my most played has a playtime of 513 hours. I know that's a ton of hours but keep in mind I've been playing it since 2014 and still play it now. It's very fun, and has everything I want from an Action RPG in its content.

So I will gladly state it again and again, find that spark that makes you enjoy gaming, and best to do so from the games you recall being very fun.

Those older games may reflect on the games you buy in future instead of a Bioware RPG which are heavy on speech selection and subpar 3rd person shooting mechanics.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nolanw485

@RSM-HQ: Thanks for the reply! Sorry if I get a little annoying.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nolanw485

@RSM-HQ: I might try out vanquish. I am not sure on the replay value but I know there is a new difficulty that unlocks called like god hard or something. I might also look at games that have new game plus or encourage multiple playthroughs.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RSM-HQ

@nolanw485: No-no if anything thought I was annoying you with my repeated message. But I do recommend taking that advice, find those games you really enjoy and use them almost like a template for what you buy in future. I think that'll help you continue to enjoy games.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RSM-HQ

@nolanw485: I really enjoy Vanquish, solid tight mechanics, but like most Platinum games it ends after 5 hours.

If you tackle the challenges and harder difficulties you can get more replay-value though.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@nolanw485 said:

I am on about my 3rd try on trying to enjoy the mass effect trilogy. For some reason I just have trouble enjoying it. I have tried playing all of them besides andromeda, and I have enjoyed mass effect 3 the most out of the other 2.

ME 3 is a mainstream third person shooter, you have discovered you do not like RPG's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#22 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I know the feeling of not enjoying a game but keep trying. Took me 7 tries with The Witcher...I hated the game so much I would uninstall and even delete the save because I was 100% sure I would never touch that horrible game again but after a few months I started feeling like I should give it another try because I really wanted to like it. For some reason on the 7th try something clicked and I played all 3 games in a row and I absolutely loved the experience...still have no idea what changed...

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nolanw485

@RSM-HQ: yeah I think I'm a just more of a fan of games I can play in short bursts and like fps games that I can play with friends.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RSM-HQ

@nolanw485:

yeah I think I'm a just more of a fan of games I can play in short bursts and like fps games that I can play with friends.

Have you considered Overwatch or the new Quake: Champions?

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nolanw485

@RSM-HQ: I might try quake champions. I still think overwatch is a little pricey for my liking. I might buy battlefront hearing that it is pretty good now since it has gotten dlc