have you played games specifically to get better at them

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

i play a ****load of games

but i rarely ever play JUST to get better at them

with the exception of lumines live (back be4 i could get all the achievements with one hand tied behind my back) and contra (and after i got the "beat the game withoutcontinuing" achievement, i never played it again) on xbla

and currently ikaruga

now i played farcry instincts predator, splinter cell chaos theory, and COD4 so much that i eventually became "leet", but i never played to get better.

have you? (not saying its bad either way, just asking)

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
only one I've ever played to actually practice was guitar hero and rock band.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
I mainly do it on the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games.
patsrule316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 patsrule316
Member since 2004 • 376 Posts

Definitely Rock Band.

Other than that, getting better is a sideproduct of playing the game, not the reason.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 sirkibble2
Member since 2005 • 981 Posts
The only game I've done that with is Soul Calibur IV. Any other game I bought was simply because I wanted to have fun. Sometimes, after playing for long periods of time and playing with better people, I will start to play specifically to get better. Other than Soul Calibur IV though, I've never bought a game specifically to get better.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Some games become so difficult, that that's what it feels like sometimes. >_>

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
You mean to play the a game an excessive amount just to get better at it? Not usually. By the time I do that, I could have it finished...
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts
Yup. Smash Bros. is one of those games. Some people still challenge me for a match or two.
Polybren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Polybren
Member since 2004 • 1678 Posts

Geometry Wars. When the Xbox 360 first came out, I'd play for at least an hour a day trying to get better and climb the leaderboards.

jJaAmMeEsS2184

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 jJaAmMeEsS2184
Member since 2009 • 894 Posts

I used to play Tetris (NES) alot to improve my score...and some online sports games(mostly NBA2K, and Madden)I would play to get better and dominate people...but most other games, if I played enough to be a master at it, I already beat it, or got bored with it, or most likely both....there are very few games that I could play thru a second time to be a master at it without getting bored with it.....fighting games (offline) I can play to get better for a while anyway...online sports, I can play the whole season till the next year game comes out..

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Yes I have. Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Call of Duty 5; I play them all to get better.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
I play few games (shooters) and I'm actually very good at them. Its all about competitive multiplayer... You can play a bunch of games but if you suck it doesn't matter...
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

I bought Super Mario World to get better at platformers.

I knew it would at least help, but I was surprised how much better I got after playing the trickier zones. It was really night/day on my playing ability.

PJ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PJ24
Member since 2005 • 3816 Posts
You know I never really play games just to get better at them. I just tend to play through the main game/modes and just get progresively better from there. Though I think I did play Super Puzzle Fighter just to get better and best my sister at it. That was a LOOOOOONNNNG time ago though :)
firedonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 firedonut
Member since 2007 • 390 Posts

A friend of mine still hates me for wiping out all of his top scores in Star Fox 64 with my own.

I also make an effort to play Ikaruga at least once a week. Chaining is tough.

tdg2377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 tdg2377
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i do this with a whole lot of different games. most recently, Fight Night Round 4. lol. but then also Resistance 2, and a couple others.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

I only play games to get better at them with fighters.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

devil may cry 4 because jump/attack cancelling weapon/style switching mid combo is actually so difficult but once you get it down it looks amazing.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Ninja gaiden black. The game whooped my ass at first but once I got into the groove I really started to appreciate the combat.

colben69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 colben69
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I most definitely what you would call a recreational gamer, bought soul caliber iv and started playing on line after about 3nights of getting my arse kicked, I started to play the game solo to improve my game .... didnt help still crap and sill getting arse kicked everytime I log on :P. Except for that most games I buy because they look fun or interestin to play by the time you would say I am good at the game is usually the closing cut scene. My problem is a short attention span, I buy so many games get about half way through and then buy another one and get hooked on that without finishing the last

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
Nah; I get better at all the games I play naturally. I really can't be bothered to practice my skills in video games; it tends to make things stressful for me. This especially applies to games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero. The only occasions during which I practice songs in those games is if I can't pass them, which hardly ever happens to me. Other than that, all my skill in those games just came from natural ability and experience. And, seeing as how average a pretty good performance on Expert-difficulty songs in general (4-5 stars), I would say I do pretty well for someone who doesn't practice to get better.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I've tried to practice for a couple of F-Zero games. Those games are hard on the higher difficulties. I've managed to get a few more trophies but those games require a lot of attention.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I used to do that in Guitar Hero, but I came to the conclusion that it was just a colossal waste of time. Now I just aim for enjoyment. :P

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
The only game that I really wanted to improve on and learn to play better was Pokemon Puzzle League/Tetris Attack. I loved this game so much and wanted to learn how to chains that I bought Pokemon Puzzle Challenge for the Gameboy Color just so I can practice it.
smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 smithster118
Member since 2008 • 3910 Posts

Street Fighter 4. I'm so bad. :(

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#26 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
I do with most games. I play once to get a feel and then play untill I feel I have mastered them. There are exceptions (such as WRPG's) and I definitley am more intense about it with fighters and shooters,but yes perfection is an overeaching goal for me.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

Just about every fighting game I was into.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Getting better and getting "leet" is kind of different lol. I think almost everyone plays games to get "better", in the full sense of the word. With any sort of game, unless it's a braindead-jump-in-have-fun kind of game, you get general practice as with anything in life. If I just started COH, I wouldn't destroy anybody if I didn't know what I was doing. After a few games, you have already gotten better than when you first started.

Plus, it's no fun to suck at a game, everytime you play not getting better :P

Now, the only time I have "trained" is in Halo: CE. Back then, you had to bring it all to the LANs. This was when I had a lot of freetime, so I actually sat down in front of my TV, plug in an extra controller, and mess around with damage, weapon combos, map locations... I think it paid off. But I hardly have time to game competitively nowadays :(

MW2Scope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MW2Scope
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts

For games that I like and that have good multi, yeah I try to get better. It's fun being good at games.