Has there been any period were Jrpgs Peaked/Had a Golden Age?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Australianpope
Member since 2012 • 211 Posts
I find this question very interesting, see, Jrpgs are often though to have peaked and started their Golden Age, as in consistent success for a period of time, during the post-release of Final Fantasy 7. This is not true, there were many trying to cash in on the craze but none came toward any real success, sold poorly, barely made a mark, or had made average impact. This pretty much means FF7,8,9 were the main games that were holding up sales for the genre, and although people will deny this, Jrpgs did not reach any peaking or goldenage status at all in this period. This leaves the 6 gen, which saw another large number of Jrpgs come out, and while there were games like Final Fantasy X, X-2, Xi, XII, Persona series, Disgea, Everquest, Shining Tears, Shdow Hearts, Dark Cloud Etc. There was still no peak in the genre. While there were slightly more successful rpgs compared to the gen before, there were also more that were less, and many of the Jrpgs never saw a real spotlight to gain an audience, such as Baiten Kaitos etc. So my question is, has this genre ever actually peaked? Will it ever? at least outside of Japan? Because WW everywhere else, all peaks cause storms (FFXIII caused a storm for instance sadly enough) but they all end up dying down just as quickly. Racing games have had GA, WRPGS have had many, Action Adventure Games, Shooting Games, Shmups, FPS, etc. Yet Jrpgs seem to lose spark after a game or game(s) seem to open the doors just for them to close again.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I wouldn't say so. Sure, there are tons of cIassics like Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger form the SNES era and yeah alot of people would probably consider that the peak. (Of course, then there was the PS1 era, which also held many cIassics.) However, there are alot of games that are, at the very least, on par with the all time greats, like Radiant Historia and Xenoblade Chronicles, plus others. So, no, I wouldn't say there has been a 'golden age.'

SlykReviewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 SlykReviewin
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts
In terms of sales and success I don't really think it matters much in a broader perspective (even if ff7 sold millions of copies with others a bit lower than that, JRPG's are among the most well-concieved genres to gamers) , but if you're asking someone's preference of which era of RPG's they'll probably think it was a golden age back then with all the great RPG's and such compared to today. I think the golden age was in the mid to late 90's since there were just some amazing RPG's.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I think so. I'd place it from 1993 to 2001. Best quality JRPGs, best selling JRPGs (at least most), twas a good time.

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Australianpope

I think so. I'd place it from 1993 to 2001. Best quality JRPGs, best selling JRPGs (at least most), twas a good time.

Shenmue_Jehuty
This is why I asked the question. 1993 to 2001 had very few impactual rpgs, most people do not realize that. Especially in sales areas and popularity.
AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AlbedoSnake
Member since 2003 • 10386 Posts

Well, Final Fantasy VII's explosive popularity suddenly made the RPG a viable genre saleswise, so you could argue the 32-bit era was a Golden Age in the sense that there were suddenly an abundance of options to choose from in the genre. The 16-bit era was certainly a heck of a time for RPGs too though, considering the prolific output of Squaresoft during that period, as well as the oodles of other quality games like Lufia, Breath of Fire, Phantasy Star, Earthbound, Lunar, etc. I would say the current console generation is definitely the most stagnant period that JRPGs have ever seen. The fact that Dragon Quest X is a freaking MMO certainly doesn't help matters any.

AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AlbedoSnake
[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Australianpope
This is why I asked the question. 1993 to 2001 had very few impactual rpgs, most people do not realize that. Especially in sales areas and popularity.

Lunar: The Silver Star was the highest selling game on the Sega CD.
Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Australianpope
[QUOTE="Australianpope"][QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

AlbedoSnake

Which changes nothing about what I said at all. Were you trying to point out something?
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

During the PS1 era

AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AlbedoSnake
[QUOTE="Australianpope"][QUOTE="AlbedoSnake"][QUOTE="Australianpope"] This is why I asked the question. 1993 to 2001 had very few impactual rpgs, most people do not realize that. Especially in sales areas and popularity.

Which changes nothing about what I said at all. Were you trying to point out something?

I was only offering it up as an example as one of the RPGs that was impactful, and I don't appreciate your needlessly snotty response.
Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Australianpope

Well, Final Fantasy VII's explosive popularity suddenly made the RPG a viable genre saleswise, so you could argue the 32-bit era was a Golden Age in the sense that there were suddenly an abundance of options to choose from in the genre. The 16-bit era was certainly a heck of a time for RPGs too though, considering the prolific output of Squaresoft during that period, as well as the oodles of other quality games like Lufia, Breath of Fire, Phantasy Star, Earthbound, Lunar, etc. I would say the current console generation is definitely the most stagnant period that JRPGs have ever seen. The fact that Dragon Quest X is a freaking MMO certainly doesn't help matters any.

AlbedoSnake
No, it did not make it viable sales wise, there were more options, and people wanted to cash in on it more so than before, does not mean any made much or any money, were popular, or/and sold well. Numbers don't mean anything when you talk about peaked or golden ages. There may have been 45 Jrpgs released within 5 years after FF7, that does not means that because there were 45, all of a sudden it was a golden age for the genre, outside of Final Fantasy not many games gained anything near it. Before that JRPGS were practically non existant, most people did not really own Rpgs despite what many people wil say to you. Jrpgs did not even become valid to many people until 5th gen.
Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Australianpope
[QUOTE="AlbedoSnake"][QUOTE="Australianpope"][QUOTE="AlbedoSnake"] Lunar: The Silver Star was the highest selling game on the Sega CD.

I was only offering it up as an example as one of the RPGs that was impactful, and I don't appreciate your needlessly snotty response.

There was nothing snotty about the response. All I said is that it didn't mean anything by itself. until now, I had no idea why you posted that. To be honest, I STILL have no idea what point you were making when you posted that. Why did you post and example, where you trying to disprove something I said?
AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AlbedoSnake

No, it did not make it viable sales wise, there were more options, and people wanted to cash in on it more so than before, does not mean any made much or any money, were popular, or/and sold well. Numbers don't mean anything when you talk about peaked or golden ages. There may have been 45 Jrpgs released within 5 years after FF7, that does not means that because there were 45, all of a sudden it was a golden age for the genre, outside of Final Fantasy not many games gained anything near it. Before that JRPGS were practically non existant, most people did not really own Rpgs despite what many people wil say to you. Jrpgs did not even become valid to many people until 5th gen.Australianpope

Okay, so basically, you made this thread not for the sake of conversation but for the sake of teaching everybody on this board that your position on the matter is absolute?

The hell with what everybody else was playing. JRPG is my favorite genre, and I had a blast playing most of them throughout the 16-bit and 32-bit days, so as far as I'm concerned, it was a Golden Age of quality JRPGs, regardless of sales. There are tons of FPS out there, but next to none of them turn out to be profitable besides Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo. Are FPS disqualified from being in a "Golden Age" because not enough of them are pushing millions of units? Sales are a ridiculous way to qualify a Golden Age. Comic books sold by the millions in the early 90s thanks to the speculation bubble, and a lot of the comics being sold in that era, especially the ones sold by Image Comics, were all style and no substance. Nobody would call that a golden age of comic books.

[QUOTE="AlbedoSnake"]I was only offering it up as an example as one of the RPGs that was impactful, and I don't appreciate your needlessly snotty response.Australianpope
There was nothing snotty about the response. All I said is that it didn't mean anything by itself. until now, I had no idea why you posted that. To be honest, I STILL have no idea what point you were making when you posted that. Why did you post and example, where you trying to disprove something I said?

The point is that the highest ****ing selling game on the Sega CD was a JRPG. Sega CD was not a wildly successful console in the first place, but the game that kept it alive the longest was an RPG. Lunar was an impactful RPG. Final Fantasy IV was also impactful for establishing many of the tropes that JRPGs to follow would employ, and Chrono Trigger was impactful because we still talk about the game as one of the greatest ever made to this day. It does not matter if Chrono Trigger did not sell 5 million copies. There are more ways to be "impactful" than inspiring the masses to go out and buy a particular genre in droves. Your whole argument is inherently flawed and I don't intend to continue the conversation any further.

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Australianpope

[QUOTE="Australianpope"]

Okay, so basically, you made this thread not for the sake of conversation but for the sake of teaching everybody on this board that your position on the matter is absolute?

The hell with what everybody else was playing. JRPG is my favorite genre, and I had a blast playing most of them throughout the 16-bit and 32-bit days, so as far as I'm concerned, it was a Golden Age of quality JRPGs, regardless of sales. There are tons of FPS out there, but next to none of them turn out to be profitable besides Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo. Are FPS disqualified from being in a "Golden Age" because not enough of them are pushing millions of units? Sales are a ridiculous way to qualify a Golden Age. Comic books sold by the millions in the early 90s thanks to the speculation bubble, and a lot of the comics being sold in that era, especially the ones sold by Image Comics, were all style and no substance. Nobody would call that a golden age of comic books.

[QUOTE="Australianpope"][QUOTE="AlbedoSnake"]I was only offering it up as an example as one of the RPGs that was impactful, and I don't appreciate your needlessly snotty response.AlbedoSnake

The point is that the highest ****ing selling game on the Sega CD was a JRPG. Sega CD was not a wildly successful console in the first place, but the game that kept it alive the longest was an RPG. Lunar was an impactful RPG. Final Fantasy IV was also impactful for establishing many of the tropes that JRPGs to follow would employ, and Chrono Trigger was impactful because we still talk about the game as one of the greatest ever made to this day. It does not matter if Chrono Trigger did not sell 5 million copies. There are more ways to be "impactful" than inspiring the masses to go out and buy a particular genre in droves. Your whole argument is inherently flawed and I don't intend to continue the conversation any further.

Flawed post 1: Just because a lot of FPS games don't sell 4+ million does not mean they are not profitable. Most FPS turned profit and that's why the genre brought in so much money this gen? I said it includes sales, popularity and profit, which no Jrpg did, and we are talking golden age not your personal preference, yes you can have one, but that doesn't mean that the actual genre had a peak or golden age. Also again, FPS games that sold less than $+ million turned profits, heck, many of the crappy cash-ins that get 2.0 rating made profit off each copy. Flawed post 2: Silver Star was not the highest selling game on the Sega CD9 it was either Sonic CD or Sewer Shark (The PACK IN). When Silver Star Sold 223,000 units on the PSX, WD said it was their highest selling title TO DATE at the time, making it IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to say that SS was the best selling game on the Sega CD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar:_Silver_Star_Story_Complete#Reception Final Fantasy IV is one game, and your CC argument is flawed because you used your personal reasons, in the world, CC did not sell well, it was not exactly popular at its time to the extend of FF, and when it did later that would still be one of few. What about Secret of the Stars? Secret of Mana? Ishido? Those were there, doesn't means that there was a golden age were everyone was playing rpgs, and/or rpgs were making profits. I don't see how you don't get that. Your whole argument is flawed, this question is not about personal preferences. The best way to find out if there was a golden age would be to see if there are times were many Jrpgs were indeed selling at least well, and/or making profit, you know, Golden Age. Where many of its games would fit into the mainstream, which from what I have seen and anybody else, has not happened yet. But it would be best for you to leave because calling my argument flawed by using a flawed argument is pretty bad.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

First off, I'm defining Golden Age as having multiple titles across many platforms that were impactful in terms of either sales, innovations/changes/improvements in the genre or gaming as a whole, critical acclaim, or just fan adoration. With that in mind...

I'd have to say the 16 bit era. It had Chrono Trigger (regarded by many as the best in the genre or even of all time), Lunar, Shining Force (not necessarily big name games, but they had serious critical acclaim and are adored by fans), Earthbound (same as SF), Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, Secret of Mana, Ultima, Might and Magic... I have yet to see a list of favorite/top RPGs without several games from this era (unless the person has never played these games). Not only that, but when you think about the powerhouse series of the genre, they're all there aside from Pokemon (which was on a console from this era but I left it out due to it's release date), Baldur's Gate, Tales (which had a Japanese release on the SNES), and Diablo.

All of that aside, it seems to me that this is also the era where RPGs have the highest amount of top rated games in relation to other genres when you compare it to other eras. The 32/64 bit era had a lot of great RPGs, but the amount of other great titles in other genres eclipses them, as it does in every generation after that (especially recently).

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Australianpope

So what were these impactual RPGs if you don't mind me asking?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
95-2005 imo
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Yep, PS1-PS2 era

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

During the PS1 era

DealRogers
This is what I came in to post
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#20 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

If I may pick a broad spectrum, I'd say fourth, fifth and sixth generation. The first console rpgs popped up on eight-bit systems and they were good but the genre really came into it's own fourth gen (esp. on SNES) and continued through the fifth (esp. on PS1) and was still strong going into the sixth gen. If I have to be more speciffic, I will say fifth gen (again, esp. PS1). Personally, I tend to like the gameplay from that era the best as well. Right now, their popularity seems to be declining (mostly due to a decline in quality in some of the most popular serieses) but there are still good ones being made. Looking at the gaming landscape now, it is strange to think console RPGs w/ turn based combat were one of the most popular genres....

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Australianpope

[QUOTE="Australianpope"][QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

So what were these impactual RPGs if you don't mind me asking?

Impactual=Profit-Sales-Popularity/Mainstram all in a package, which outside of a few games, has never really happened in a certain period of time. If we are talking about output I could say the PSX era, although that does not really qualify for "Golden Age" in the history books sadly.
Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Valknut4
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

Snes,Sega and Ps1 had the best Jrpgs, the list is epicly long.

Anyone who thinks the Ps2 had the quality that era had is le crazy. Jrpgs used to be amazing games, even ones with voice acting were badass like Tales of Eternia, great characters albet Marady being annoying as hell. Problem is 90% of characters in Jrpgs since the Ps2 days are like Marady dumb, with hidden power, Small cute usless animal that also has hidden power. In fact let me tell you the plot of 99% of current an last gen Jrpgs story lines.

Main character is the underdog

Main character must have ties to a villain he must have revenge on

Main character is a giant wuss bag

Some point the in the game he will beaten, but by all odds his will power/blood line/Item/ect will grant him extrodinary power to overcome the situation.

The last one used to make people tear up, it had consequence to do, well I dispise the characters in FF5, Galufs death is pure awesome he just says **** it flex's his beard and saves the world, but dies in the process. Leaving you with a personal want for revenge, and a character who also wants revenge.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#23 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I'd say the PS1 era. Though personally I do prefer the PS2 era.
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Mid to late 90s.

Started with Final Fantasy III, then came the huge attention for Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Phantasy Star, etc. It peaked with FF VII, and ended with a bang with Pokemon Blue and Red.

wackoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wackoss
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts
when people use the term golden age it doesn't necessarily mean sales. It's more like a boom period, when it was creative, diverse, often times the start of something and the works inspire future generations. It's hard to call one game generation to be a golden age because it seems kind of short sighted, but then again the jrpg scene seems to be in turmoil, like it doesn't know where it's heading or maybe the audience is gone? If you want to name a specific generation then it'd be the 16 bit. Stories and characters were more developed, the games played better, there were a lot of great games from different developers. Playstation 2 was the peak.
SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

Yep, PS1-PS2 era

riou7

This!

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

Impactual=Profit-Sales-Popularity/Mainstram all in a package, which outside of a few games, has never really happened in a certain period of time. If we are talking about output I could say the PSX era, although that does not really qualify for "Golden Age" in the history books sadly.Australianpope

lol, I didn't even want to post in this thread after reading through some of the tripe you've contributed since starting it, and it doesn't really help matters that you appear to be an exceedingly pleasant (lol) person to converse with. However, after reading this, I have one question for you: Where are you getting your definition of "golden age" from? Your ass?

It is widely accepted, as an example, that hip hop was in its golden age in the period between the late 80's and the mid 90's. This had NOTHING to do with sales, since if that was our measuring stick then the music market was absolutely SATURATED with high selling rap albums much more recently than that period of time. It had everything to do, conversely, with a peak in creativity and craft as hip hop goes.

It can be safely said, then, that this all comes down to opinion.

Thanks for playing, though.;)

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Australianpope

[QUOTE="Australianpope"]Impactual=Profit-Sales-Popularity/Mainstram all in a package, which outside of a few games, has never really happened in a certain period of time. If we are talking about output I could say the PSX era, although that does not really qualify for "Golden Age" in the history books sadly.Assassin_87

lol, I didn't even want to post in this thread after reading through some of the tripe you've contributed since starting it, and it doesn't really help matters that you appear to be an exceedingly pleasant (lol) person to converse with. However, after reading this, I have one question for you: Where are you getting your definition of "golden age" from? Your ass?

It is widely accepted, as an example, that hip hop was in its golden age in the period between the late 80's and the mid 90's. This had NOTHING to do with sales, since if that was our measuring stick then the music market was absolutely SATURATED with high selling rap albums much more recently than that period of time. It had everything to do, conversely, with a peak in creativity and craft as hip hop goes.

If all you saw was the word sales you can't read and ignored everything else in the post. Thanks for playing ;p
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
[QUOTE="DealRogers"]

During the PS1 era

rawsavon
This is what I came in to post

That and PS2.
Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Assassin_87

[QUOTE="Assassin_87"]

[QUOTE="Australianpope"]Impactual=Profit-Sales-Popularity/Mainstram all in a package, which outside of a few games, has never really happened in a certain period of time. If we are talking about output I could say the PSX era, although that does not really qualify for "Golden Age" in the history books sadly.Australianpope

If all you saw was the word sales you can't read and ignored everything else in the post. Thanks for playing ;p

lol I read everything. You're still just touting some fabricated equation as the strict qualifier for a golden age, which it clearly is not since you made it up. I'm taking issue with you arguing your opinion as if it's fact.

AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AlbedoSnake

[QUOTE="Australianpope"]If all you saw was the word sales you can't read and ignored everything else in the post. Thanks for playing ;pAssassin_87
lol I read everything. You're still just touting some fabricated equation as the strict qualifier for a golden age, which it clearly is not since you made it up. I'm taking issue with you arguing your opinion as if it's fact.

To be fair, I was probably more opinionated and narrow-minded back when I started posting too, though that was back before MGS3 had come out and I would have been around 13 years old. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
16bit era was the pinnacle. After that things became overly cinematic. Spoken dialog takes away from the player injecting themselves into the character, IMO.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#33 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
16bit era was the pinnacle. After that things became overly cinematic. Spoken dialog takes away from the player injecting themselves into the character, IMO.Heirren
I tend to have mixed feelings about this. In lots, if not most cases, I do agree. Though in some cases, like DQVIII, the voice acting really helps bring the characters to life, in the *** version there's no voice acting whatsoever and the game just feels sort of "less alive" than the localized version-
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#34 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]16bit era was the pinnacle. After that things became overly cinematic. Spoken dialog takes away from the player injecting themselves into the character, IMO.Dudersaper
I tend to have mixed feelings about this. In lots, if not most cases, I do agree. Though in some cases, like DQVIII, the voice acting really helps bring the characters to life, in the *** version there's no voice acting whatsoever and the game just feels sort of "less alive" than the localized version-

I like voice acting for cut scenese only pretty much. I get sick of it when they voice every line. The thing is, as the voice acting gets better--and it has been in general, I'd say--they tend to do more of it. I wish they'd knock the mount of it back down to PS1 levels but keep the acting at the level it is not (or higher, of course).

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Australianpope

[QUOTE="Australianpope"][QUOTE="Assassin_87"]

Assassin_87

I made it up? "Was called the ARCADE GOLDEN AGE due to the fact that Arcade games were bringing in large amounts of revenue, and many developers that jumped on would be almost guaranteed at least decent success, and the ARCADE genre related games stayed Mainstream throughout the late 70's and 80's." Yeah, i see 3 things here and not one of them is "just sales", i mean learn to read and come back, i can't take care of all the special kids. Jrpgs have not gotten any of the 3 required for a goldenage. Try again.
Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Australianpope

[QUOTE="Assassin_87"][QUOTE="Australianpope"]If all you saw was the word sales you can't read and ignored everything else in the post. Thanks for playing ;pAlbedoSnake

To be fair, I was probably more opinionated and narrow-minded back when I started posting too, though that was back before MGS3 had come out and I would have been around 13 years old. ;)

You are over 13 and you still can't read? I dumbed it down for you two above. Can't figure it out still? Then, I would suggest you go back to school and learn how to read, Oh, and do research before opening that mouth. It's right there, try looking at the letters and sounding them out. and Learn what an opinion is.
Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Assassin_87

I made it up? "Was called the ARCADE GOLDEN AGE due to the fact that Arcade games were bringing in large amounts of revenue, and many developers that jumped on would be almost guaranteed at least decent success, and the ARCADE genre related games stayed Mainstream throughout the late 70's and 80's." Yeah, i see 3 things here and not one of them is "just sales", i mean learn to read and come back, i can't take care of all the special kids. Jrpgs have not gotten any of the 3 required for a goldenage. Try again.Australianpope

Ok, first of all I'd like to thank you for clearly being mature enough not to resort to repeatedly harping on a small misstep on my part, in that I chose sales as a specific item to bring up in my initial post (Check the bolded, fine choice of words friend!). It's obviously not the case that because I didn't bring up all of the other parts of your proposed equation, that I didn't actually read the rest of your post. And for your acknowledgement of that, again, I thank you. Very respectable of you, indeed!

Now, again I'll say that the only thing I ever took issue with is how vehemently you're arguing your position, to the point that you're attempting to discredit the posts of others as if they are factually incorrect when your idea of a golden age is not some accepted criteria. If you can point me to an article where it has been said that what you're peddling here is the one and only true idea of a "golden age" in gaming then I will concede that I've been wrong this whole time. Short of that, however, I'll say that in my opinion the early nineties through the mid-2000's quite nicely represent a golden age for JRPGs, and that there is no objective sense in which you can prove me wrong.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
[QUOTE="AlbedoSnake"]

[QUOTE="Assassin_87"] lol I read everything. You're still just touting some fabricated equation as the strict qualifier for a golden age, which it clearly is not since you made it up. I'm taking issue with you arguing your opinion as if it's fact.Australianpope

You are over 13 and you still can't read? I dumbed it down for you two above. Can't figure it out still? Then, I would suggest you go back to school and learn how to read, Oh, and do research before opening that mouth. It's right there, try looking at the letters and sounding them out. and Learn what an opinion is.

Is it really necessary to talk down to people like that?
Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Australianpope

[QUOTE="Australianpope"]I made it up? "Was called the ARCADE GOLDEN AGE due to the fact that Arcade games were bringing in large amounts of revenue, and many developers that jumped on would be almost guaranteed at least decent success, and the ARCADE genre related games stayed Mainstream throughout the late 70's and 80's." Yeah, i see 3 things here and not one of them is "just sales", i mean learn to read and come back, i can't take care of all the special kids. Jrpgs have not gotten any of the 3 required for a goldenage. Try again.Assassin_87

Ok, first of all I'd like to thank you for clearly being mature enough not to resort to repeatedly harping on a small misstep on my part, in that I chose sales as a specific item to bring up in my initial post (Check the bolded, fine choice of words friend!). It's obviously not the case that because I didn't bring up all of the other parts of your proposed equation, that I didn't actually read the rest of your post. And for your acknowledgement of that, again, I thank you. Very respectable of you, indeed!

Now, again I'll say that the only thing I ever took issue with is how vehemently you're arguing your position, to the point that you're attempting to discredit the posts of others as if they are factually incorrect when your idea of a golden age is not some accepted criteria. If you can point me to an article where it has been said that what you're peddling here is the one and only true idea of a "golden age" in gaming then I will concede that I've been wrong this whole time. Short of that, however, I'll say that in my opinion the early nineties through the mid-2000's quite nicely represent a golden age for JRPGs, and that there is no objective sense in which you can prove me wrong.

Because?