Has Epic Gaming Died?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CrazyOldDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 CrazyOldDave
Member since 2009 • 245 Posts
For absolutely months now i have been thinking just one thing...."I am NOT wasting my time playing **** games anymore", now please don't get me wrong HALO 3 and Call of Duty and Guitar Hero and etc. are all very fun games to play but why are there no decent games like Oblivion or Shadow of the Colossus or GTA: Vice City or Ratchet and Clank being given to the core gamers. These were all games i really did enjoy and i spent hundreds of hours playing them without regret, im 17 now and gaming offers me almost nothing with **** titles being released on a fortnightly basis by EA and various crummy Wii developers and every company is releasing new and "Necessary" hardware which i cant afford. I haven't bought a console game since November 2008 and the last game i bought was Gears of War 2 but since then i haven't had the heart to buy any of the **** being spewed out by Sony or Nintendo and Microsoft is drying up for me personally. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this topic? or at least some advice on what i should play?
Petergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Petergeist
Member since 2006 • 746 Posts

Try Batman: Arkham Asylum.

devofreqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 devofreqo
Member since 2005 • 172 Posts

For absolutely months now i have been thinking just one thing...."I am NOT wasting my time playing **** games anymore", now please don't get me wrong HALO 3 and Call of Duty and Guitar Hero and etc. are all very fun games to play but why are there no decent games like Oblivion or Shadow of the Colossus or GTA: Vice City or Ratchet and Clank being given to the core gamers. These were all games i really did enjoy and i spent hundreds of hours playing them without regret, im 17 now and gaming offers me almost nothing with **** titles being released on a fortnightly basis by EA and various crummy Wii developers and every company is releasing new and "Necessary" hardware which i cant afford. I haven't bought a console game since November 2008 and the last game i bought was Gears of War 2 but since then i haven't had the heart to buy any of the **** being spewed out by Sony or Nintendo and Microsoft is drying up for me personally. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this topic? or at least some advice on what i should play?CrazyOldDave

games are still epic, just not for you. I think your done bro

kkee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 kkee
Member since 2003 • 1729 Posts

This weeks big release, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves shows epic gaming isn't dead.

N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 N-REAL
Member since 2003 • 2509 Posts

I remember the days of the Atari 2600,NES, Genesis and SNES.......those were really EPIC GAMING DAYS ! I feel the essence of the good old times is lost partially to online gaming and the whole achievements/trophy things......

In the good old days....people played for the joy of playing, not for earning stats. That's just my opinion. :)

devofreqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 devofreqo

In the good old days....people played for the joy of playing, not for earning stats. That's just my opinion. :)

N-REAL

WTF then unplug your ethernet cable, games are just evolving.

YEA AND NEW MUSIC SUCKS, BUT JUST LISTEN TO OLD (EPIC) MUSIC

N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N-REAL
Member since 2003 • 2509 Posts

[QUOTE="N-REAL"]

devofreqo

Just as you said...games are evolving.....I do play a lot online......and music is also evolving.....

devofreqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 devofreqo

[QUOTE="devofreqo"]

[QUOTE="N-REAL"]

N-REAL

Just as you said...games are evolving.....I do play a lot online......and music is also evolving.....

Yea i used a volcano vaporizer, 2 grams of cron in a 4 ft bag, and i just finished inhaling the last little bit ALL FOR ME

devofreqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 devofreqo

i think it was laced my hand are shaking this was hard too type spellcheck

CrazyOldDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CrazyOldDave

[QUOTE="CrazyOldDave"]For absolutely months now i have been thinking just one thing...."I am NOT wasting my time playing **** games anymore", now please don't get me wrong HALO 3 and Call of Duty and Guitar Hero and etc. are all very fun games to play but why are there no decent games like Oblivion or Shadow of the Colossus or GTA: Vice City or Ratchet and Clank being given to the core gamers. These were all games i really did enjoy and i spent hundreds of hours playing them without regret, im 17 now and gaming offers me almost nothing with **** titles being released on a fortnightly basis by EA and various crummy Wii developers and every company is releasing new and "Necessary" hardware which i cant afford. I haven't bought a console game since November 2008 and the last game i bought was Gears of War 2 but since then i haven't had the heart to buy any of the **** being spewed out by Sony or Nintendo and Microsoft is drying up for me personally. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this topic? or at least some advice on what i should play?devofreqo

games are still epic, just not for you. I think your done bro

Maybe your right i mean i havent had too much fun since after 2007 in gaming and the real fun was on the PS2 and Gamecube for me. But i may also give Batman Arkham Asylum a try especially since i am an extremely big fan of the films.
Kenbo325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Kenbo325
Member since 2009 • 1177 Posts
Not yet, I don't think.
webhead921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 webhead921
Member since 2009 • 684 Posts

Try Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Petergeist

Seriously, you should play it. I think you'll like it!

oUndeaDx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 oUndeaDx
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I promise you that Modern Warfare 2 is going to be the most amazing game around and if its not then you will see a bunch of little white boxes flyin out of house windows!

oUndeaDx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 oUndeaDx

I promise you that Modern Warfare 2 is going to be the most amazing game around and if its not then you will see a bunch of little white boxes flyin out of house windows!

oUndeaDx

can someone please help me by telling me why my sig is still not showing up?

oUndeaDx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 oUndeaDx

like here is my sig right here by like whenever i put it in my forum options it says that its there but once i exit out it goes away

CrazyOldDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CrazyOldDave

oUndeaDx
No offence but i love all the COD games purely for their SINGLE PLAYER STORY... Yes you may think im mental and your probably also thinking "Whats this kid on its all about the online" well i dont belong to the era of hyped up spazdick lunatics shouting down their XBL mics or PS3 headsets, i belong to the era of offline gaming. Although i love some games online, COD online is not for me as i lack the free time and it doesnt interest me enough to want to do it plus i just dont like getting shot at and dying with absolutely no strategy... see i used to play Rainbow Six Vegas online all the time it offered great gameplay, decent graphics, strategy and tactics and hilarious map flaws and manipulations but COD doesnt offer me that. And just to remind you i did say no offence... i will buy Modern Warfare 2 at some point and yes i will complete it and enjoy myself and i will touch the online for 5 minutes but if the online mode doesnt catch my interest just throw me a bone.
DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
It depends on your mindset. You could think "pfffttt, games these day suck!" but remember, everything we played in our childhood was automatically awesome. So it's pretty unfair to judge our mindsets from then, to actually thinking and judging now. It's best to just be open minded, play what you enjoy and have fun. There are still loads of awesome games here.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Gaming is no where near dead for me, hell this is my fave gen so far (this is from someone whos been playing games since Donkey Kong during the Snes days)

CrazyOldDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CrazyOldDave

Gaming is no where near dead for me, hell this is my fave gen so far (this is from someone whos been playing games since Donkey Kong during the Snes days)

Ballroompirate
Jeez... thats impressive and i am enjoying this gen but im sort of having an identity crisis with my games... i will buy Batman Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 2, the new ratchet and clank, killzone 2 and motorstorm pacific drift and see where it takes me but if that fails then i dont know what to do with my life.
PJ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PJ24
Member since 2005 • 3816 Posts
I think this is most epic I've seen games become! The increased production values and graphics make game like Killzone and Metal Gear for me with things that just could be done on other consoles. :)
xmvince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 xmvince
Member since 2007 • 56 Posts

Oblivion was terrible IMHO.. Too long/boring/big and too many bugs.

Try Red Faction Guerrilla.

Story is good and gameplay rocks.

CrazyOldDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CrazyOldDave

xmvince
Oblivion was the greatest game i had ever played in my entire life thank you very much and also red faction guerrilla is some silly FPS, Oblivion is a peice of art you could not comprehend.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

CrazyOldDave

Jeez... thats impressive and i am enjoying this gen but im sort of having an identity crisis with my games... i will buy Batman Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 2, the new ratchet and clank, killzone 2 and motorstorm pacific drift and see where it takes me but if that fails then i dont know what to do with my life.

I would ether start renting or using Gamerfly before you start buying games you know you might question.

Theres a few games that I would never buy but when I did it was well worth the purchase (example Battalionwars 2 and Little King's Story, never thought I would buy em but when I did I enjoyed the hell out of em).

CrazyOldDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CrazyOldDave

[QUOTE="CrazyOldDave"][QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

Ballroompirate

I would ether start renting or using Gamerfly before you start buying games you know you might question.

Theres a few games that I would never buy but when I did it was well worth the purchase (example Battalionwars 2 and Little King's Story, never thought I would buy em but when I did I enjoyed the hell out of em).

Fair enough but i love the Batman films and im a hardcore fan of Ratchet and Clank and ive tried renting before and its actually cheaper for me just to buy them and sell them if i dont like them. Oh and battalion wars is a really good game but ive never heard of little kings story but i assume its a DS game.
bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

Oblivion?

Lol. This is so stupid. No epic games and you have a spiro avatar and play ratchet and clank... seriously, getting a clue might be the best start for you dude.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#28 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
there no decent games like Ratchet and Clank being given to the core gamers. CrazyOldDave
I stopped reading here. :| There are already two awesome PS3 Ratchet & Clank games with a third one out this month that looks amazing. I appreciate your taste may have changed but to claim there aren't any.... If anything this gen has been amazing for me with games like Little Big Planet, Uncharted, Infamous, Dead Space, Demons Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Flower etc. Each to their own i guess.
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#29 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

CrazyOldDave

obviously you're upset, because you're playing rubbish like 'scooby doo', 'simpsons road rage', 'and the matrix: path of neo'.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#30 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
things change sadly.:( but there will probably be a new gaming company to shine on all of us.
LordXelNaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LordXelNaga
Member since 2005 • 1161 Posts
[QUOTE="xmvince"]

CrazyOldDave
Oblivion was the greatest game i had ever played in my entire life thank you very much and also red faction guerrilla is some silly FPS, Oblivion is a peice of art you could not comprehend.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Now I know this guy is trollin
CrazyOldDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CrazyOldDave

[QUOTE="CrazyOldDave"][QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

just_nonplussed

obviously you're upset, because you're playing rubbish like 'scooby doo', 'simpsons road rage', 'and the matrix: path of neo'.

Actually i dont play games like that anymore... i played them when i was much younger i am 17 now and i have a very good taste in games e.g. Bioshock, Shadow of the Colossus, Oblivion, Rainbow Six Vegas, Gun, Ratchet and Clank, Wipeout, GTA, Final Fantasy and many more. So dont judge a gamer by whats on his rated list.
PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

[QUOTE="xmvince"]

CrazyOldDave

At least know what you're talking about before trying to use the "Holier than thou" attitude.

Since when are FPSs silly? Have you played Half-Life 2?

Oblivion the greatest game you've ever played. Are you a PC gamer by any chance? Oblivion is the worst out of all of the Elder Scrolls.

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

ah, TC, IDK if you have been paying attention... let me help.

Bioshock

Mass Effect

play those two games, and tell me epic gaming is dead.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44185 Posts

Really? Actually I find gaming to be more epic now then it's ever been. I'm very impressed with many of the games they come out with these days.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

I guess you are not searching good enough for what you want to play and feels epic like you call it :P

Get fallout 3 if you love oblivion, the same company made it, it's better than oblivion.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

You're only 17? That's pretty young, there are us older gamers who have bene gaming since before the Nes was out. I've been gaming since 1984 and never regarded gaming as epic, but it's had it's moments, which are sadly falling by the way side with the constant rehashed FPS, sports and movie licences that get released all the time, the usual clone stuff to keep those who are scared of change and difference happy, who want to play the same thing time after time and call themselves 'hardcore'.

There are still gems that come out, like Oblivion and Fallout 3, both slow going, well made games that despite their glitches are excellent to play and last a good while with plenty to keep you coming back and aren't designed for the instant action, run and gun gamers who just want to breeze through the game and say they're the best when they really need to play games that aren't so shallow.
Dragon Age is looking to be impressive and there are older games like Viva Pinata, Kameo and even the unusual Onechanbara games to go for, though the Onechanbara gamesare very unusual and not exactly great, but oddly fun. You've just got to be willing to take risks, open the mind and try more things than you may have first considered.

Single player gaming is always where the true heart of gaming is, online gaming may be fine for those who prefer that, for those who love swearing and screaming without actually playing the game with any real skill, while those who do give their best to enjoy themselves while trying to ignore the gamers who can't do anything without trying to sound like they're 'mature' for being able to swear as much as they do.

Avatar image for Xenogears_Rocks
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 Xenogears_Rocks
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

Sounds like your losing your passion for gaming I have kinda lost it before but you just have to find a great game that reminds you why you loved games to begin with. And as far as being epic just wait for Final Fantasy XIII and God of War 3

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
I agree because of the whole online gaming phenomenon. I hate that there are no good split screen games anymore and all everyone talks about is halo 3 or call of duty. Like TC said, they're fun games but I don't think they deserve all that attention unlike games like Fallout 3 or Oblivion, which we need more of.
Vundi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vundi
Member since 2003 • 12755 Posts

Hey, if you're not feeling it anymore then that's just the way it is. There are plenty of great game to play and plenty more coming out in the future. I don't think epic gaming has died at all but we can't twist your arm to make you want to keep playing.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

[QUOTE="N-REAL"]

devofreqo

don't know guys. I play lots of new singleplayer games and music in games is not going downhill.

ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ViewtifulScott
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts
Jeez... thats impressive and i am enjoying this gen but im sort of having an identity crisis with my games... i will buy Batman Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 2, the new ratchet and clank, killzone 2 and motorstorm pacific drift and see where it takes me but if that fails then i dont know what to do with my life.CrazyOldDave
I know what you'll do.... get a new hobby, that's what. Gaming =/= your life. If it does, then that's the whole root of the problem, and then some. Also, for crying out loud could people please stop talking like being 17 makes you an old and seasoned gamer, or remarking how they've been around since the days of DKC on the SNES. That wasn't THAT long ago. A lot of us have been gaming far longer than that, and when you say things like that, it makes us feel old.
CrazyOldDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CrazyOldDave

Thanks for all your views and opinions guys but im just starting to think maybe i am just simply growing out of gaming or maybe the specific gameplay mechanics i used to love arent being developed at the moment. For now i will just stare in from the sidelines and play what i fancy but to be fair maybe i am growing out of it.