Has anyone here actually played Super Mario Bros. 1?

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Treesmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Treesmash
Member since 2010 • 541 Posts

It's kind of like how everyone says the best movie is Citizen Kane but it's so old now that people our age can't really be affected by it the same way.

The oldest Mario game I've played was 64 and even looking at that now it looks ancient, lol! What about you guys? Have you ever played SMB1 and if not what's your first mario game?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19602 Posts

Some of us grew up with those games. :P

Although I'm not old enough to have grown up with the originals - the first one I owned was Super Mario Land on the Gameboy, and then later Super Mario All-Stars (which came bundled with my SNES, and contained Super Mario Bros 1, both versions of 2, and 3).

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Not only have I played it, I still have it on my Nintendo.
Treesmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Treesmash

Well you two have played it. Looks like the rest of us haven't. Do you guys still consider it the best game of all time?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Yeah. I used to play it all the time at my grandparent's house when they still had an NES plugged in back in the day, and I downloaded it from the virtual console and play it on my Wii sometimes.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

I played it too. Was too small though to truly appreciate it.

Treesmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Treesmash

Yeah. I used to play it all the time at my grandparent's house when they still had an NES plugged in back in the day, and I downloaded it from the virtual console and play it on my Wii sometimes.

DJ-Lafleur
I've seen it on VC too but yeah, it just doesn't look like it would hold my interest for very long just cause I'm used to better graphics now? I mean it would be tough to watch silent movies now too, right?
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
I played it on the NES a long time ago at an old friend's house. We were playing two-player and he was being a prick by pausing the game on-and-off on his controller.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d32c9daf505
deactivated-57d32c9daf505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57d32c9daf505
Member since 2009 • 214 Posts

Being 27, I'm old enough to have played it back in the day...

Of course graphically it hasn't aged well, but its platforming mechanics is made just right, you

should have fun with it even if you started playing with 3D modern games.

Oh, and the best is of course Super Mario Bros. 3, which is basically the same game, but

improved in about every aspect: enemies, power-ups, graphics, variety...

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#10 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Some of us grew up with those games. :P

Although I'm not old enough to have grown up with the originals - the first one I owned was Super Mario Land on the Gameboy, and then later Super Mario All-Stars (which came bundled with my SNES, and contained Super Mario Bros 1, both versions of 2, and 3).

Planeforger
Some of us grew up with older games, and remember how awesome the graphics were when SMB came out. Besides, I thought playing that classic (and games like Tetris as well) were pre-requisites for posting here. :)
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I used to play it with some friends and other kids all the time. It was good fun too since you'd start learning things about the game from various other people and then come back and try them and impress everyone else watching. For example, getting a 5000 point flag jump or doing the world 1-2 warp.

But yeah, not only have I played it, I've beaten it and I own it.

If you're looking to play it too (which you should seeing as how it's the arch-typical video game) but for some reason you can't stand the graphics, then check out the SNES "Super Mario All Stars" cart. It comes with all the NES games with revamped 16 bit graphics, and sometimes Super Mario World depending on the version you get.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

You could also get a version that came with Duck Hunt. Anyone else shoot at the dog when he laughed at you?

Yeah Mario 1 is a classic, "we're sorry but your princess is in another castle!"

elchiquilin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 elchiquilin
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts
i played it! as a part of a snes compilation cart called sm all stars plus world
Treesmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Treesmash

I guess I just can't see myself playing it now anymore. It seems like some of you definitely grew up with it and can recommend it but what about someone who only started video gaming with the N64, could we really enjoy it?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d32c9daf505
deactivated-57d32c9daf505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57d32c9daf505
Member since 2009 • 214 Posts

Maybe you'll be better off playing NEW Super Mario Bros. on the Wii if you're bothered by graphics... the basic formula is still the same,

but it's much much better, IMHO (plus it's multiplayer, which is WAY more fun!)

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#16 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Yeah, I grew up with it and still have an original copy for my NES. I've also played Mario Bros. and the original Donkey Kong, games featuring Mario that preceded SMB1.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Of course. It should have been either my first or second game I got for the NES :) And I play it until this day ;)
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I have indeed played SMB1, it's one of the first games I ever played in fact. There are so many elements of modern action/adventure games, 2d or 3d, started with this game, which includes powerups, stomping on heads, hidden areas, warps, boss fights, etc.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44624 Posts
Oh yeah I played it when it first came which was at the arcade, before the NES version. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
Wow this post really makes me feel old. But yes I owned the original. But here is some shocking news........... I have never beaten it. The game hates me. Maybe I will put ME2 down today and finally beat SMB.
rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

yes i've played it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

SMB is THE GAME that got my passion burning for video games.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I used to play it with some friends and other kids all the time. It was good fun too since you'd start learning things about the game from various other people and then come back and try them and impress everyone else watching. For example, getting a 5000 point flag jump or doing the world 1-2 warp.

But yeah, not only have I played it, I've beaten it and I own it.

If you're looking to play it too (which you should seeing as how it's the arch-typical video game) but for some reason you can't stand the graphics, then check out the SNES "Super Mario All Stars" cart. It comes with all the NES games with revamped 16 bit graphics, and sometimes Super Mario World depending on the version you get.

gameguy6700

Damn I really wish I had All-stars. Music in that game is awesome!

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

It's kind of like how everyone says the best movie is Citizen Kane but it's so old now that people our age can't really be affected by it the same way.

The oldest Mario game I've played was 64 and even looking at that now it looks ancient, lol! What about you guys? Have you ever played SMB1 and if not what's your first mario game?

Treesmash
joke topic? You do know that not all of us here is 15-20 years old right?
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

I played SMB before the NES still have a copy of Mario Bros for the Atart 2600. LINK

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gameguy6700

I guess I just can't see myself playing it now anymore. It seems like some of you definitely grew up with it and can recommend it but what about someone who only started video gaming with the N64, could we really enjoy it?

Treesmash
Why can't you see yourself playing it? The graphics may be 8 bit but with 2D games graphics don't really matter as much (and even if you are so obsessed with graphics the All Star cart does give you graphics on par with the other SNES games which means it still looks pretty good). The gameplay is also still as good as the day the game came out. It doesn't have the powerups that got introduced later in the series but you honestly won't care while playing the game. SMB is, imo, required play for anyone who wants to seriously call themselves a gamer. There's just so much gamer culture that stems from that one game that you're left out of a lot by never having experienced it. On top of that, it pretty much set the standard for every 2D platformer that got released afterward and helped to jump start the industry after the original crash of the 1980s, so it's a pretty significant game too.
jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#28 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts
I played the NES all the time when I was younger. Growing up in the early 90's it was my only system for a while. Then I got a Genesis and I still played the NES all the time.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

You could also get a version that came with Duck Hunt. Anyone else shoot at the dog when he laughed at you?

Yeah Mario 1 is a classic, "we're sorry but your princess is in another castle!"

TheHighWind
Lol that's the one I had, the one with Duck Hunt and the light gun. Actually, SMB1 is the first video game I can ever remember playing. I remember when I was a kid, the very first jump in world 1-2 always gave me a hell of a time lol. I definitely got more play time out of SMB3 though. Trying to play through it without using any whistles would take hours and hours of my time. Don't think I ever made a full whistle-less playthrough.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Greyfeld

[QUOTE="Treesmash"]

gameguy6700

Why can't you see yourself playing it? The graphics may be 8 bit but with 2D games graphics don't really matter as much (and even if you are so obsessed with graphics the All Star cart does give you graphics on par with the other SNES games which means it still looks pretty good). The gameplay is also still as good as the day the game came out. It doesn't have the powerups that got introduced later in the series but you honestly won't care while playing the game. SMB is, imo, required play for anyone who wants to seriously call themselves a gamer. There's just so much gamer culture that stems from that one game that you're left out of a lot by never having experienced it. On top of that, it pretty much set the standard for every 2D platformer that got released afterward and helped to jump start the industry after the original crash of the 1980s, so it's a pretty significant game too.

I don't agree, sorry. SMB1 is archaic and isn't relevant to modern day gaming any more than a typewriter is relevant to modern day PCs. Not to say it wasn't a good game for its time, or that people can't enjoy it still, but there's no need to be elitist against those who are younger and/or got involved in gaming at a later time than some of us more experienced gamers.

I would hope, being only 24 years of age, some older gamers wouldn't discriminate against me for not having played the original Pong.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="Treesmash"]

Greyfeld

I don't agree, sorry. SMB1 is archaic and isn't relevant to modern day gaming any more than a typewriter is relevant to modern day PCs. Not to say it wasn't a good game for its time, or that people can't enjoy it still, but there's no need to be elitist against those who are younger and/or got involved in gaming at a later time than some of us more experienced gamers.

I would hope, being only 24 years of age, some older gamers wouldn't discriminate against me for not having played the original Pong.

You haven't played Pong? *turns up nose* I would say the game is still relevant. There are a lot of elements in the original Super Mario Brothers that have their fingerprints all over modern gaming. It popularized jumping as a mechanic, exploration as a key element of gameplay, invented the modern platformer and kickstarted obsessive collection of shiny objects as a major focal point (look no further than the Banjo-Kazooie series to see that particular bit's staying power). It certainly is relevant from a historical perspective, from a game design perspective and because it's still entertaining, from a gameplay perspective. I'm having trouble understaind in what way it is not relevant.
F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
I didn't like it than and I don't like it now.
djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="Treesmash"]

Greyfeld

Wrong! SMB is actually probably the oldest game that is NOT archaic. Games are still made today using the exact principles and gameplay devices as SMB used 25 years ago. The graphics don't look great on HDTVs, but it still looks fine on older sets. More importantly, however, the gameplay is still as tight as any platformer ever created. They just re-released it for the Wii (enhanced and with simultaneous multiplayer, but still SMB) after re-releasing it on the DS a couple of years earlier (again, with enhancements but overall the same principle). Outstanding games from this generation like LittleBigPlanet borrowed heavily from this concept and proved this type of game is not archaic. The game is still more FUN than 99% of all games created since despite the immense evolution in technology and innovation the video game industry has seen. And, it's not a "niche" genre as you can find 7-year old boys and 55-year old women having a good time with SMB.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Greyfeld

[QUOTE="Greyfeld"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"] Why can't you see yourself playing it? The graphics may be 8 bit but with 2D games graphics don't really matter as much (and even if you are so obsessed with graphics the All Star cart does give you graphics on par with the other SNES games which means it still looks pretty good). The gameplay is also still as good as the day the game came out. It doesn't have the powerups that got introduced later in the series but you honestly won't care while playing the game. SMB is, imo, required play for anyone who wants to seriously call themselves a gamer. There's just so much gamer culture that stems from that one game that you're left out of a lot by never having experienced it. On top of that, it pretty much set the standard for every 2D platformer that got released afterward and helped to jump start the industry after the original crash of the 1980s, so it's a pretty significant game too.Oilers99

You haven't played Pong? *turns up nose* I would say the game is still relevant. There are a lot of elements in the original Super Mario Brothers that have their fingerprints all over modern gaming. It popularized jumping as a mechanic, exploration as a key element of gameplay, invented the modern platformer and kickstarted obsessive collection of shiny objects as a major focal point (look no further than the Banjo-Kazooie series to see that particular bit's staying power). It certainly is relevant from a historical perspective, from a game design perspective and because it's still entertaining, from a gameplay perspective. I'm having trouble understaind in what way it is not relevant.

It's not relevant anymore, because people no longer turn to SMB1 when looking for inspiration. Other games have taken it to the next level several times over again. If all record of SMB1 was wiped from the earth, platformers with fantastic gameplay would still exist, because there are hundreds of other good games to reference.

Keep in mind, there's a difference between SMB1 being relevant, and Mario in general being relevant.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#35 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Of course I played SMB1.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="Greyfeld"]

Greyfeld

It's not relevant anymore, because people no longer turn to SMB1 when looking for inspiration. Other games have taken it to the next level several times over again. If all record of SMB1 was wiped from the earth, platformers with fantastic gameplay would still exist, because there are hundreds of other good games to reference.

Keep in mind, there's a difference between SMB1 being relevant, and Mario in general being relevant.

Yeah, because it's not like games still have you collect 100 item X's, jump on enemies to kill them, or have hidden secrets.

And yeah, you're right, no game still turns to SMB when looking for inspiration...

Well, okay, that's just the same franchise. I mean, it's not like other developers still reference the game...

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Greyfeld

[QUOTE="Greyfeld"]

[QUOTE="Oilers99"] You haven't played Pong? *turns up nose* I would say the game is still relevant. There are a lot of elements in the original Super Mario Brothers that have their fingerprints all over modern gaming. It popularized jumping as a mechanic, exploration as a key element of gameplay, invented the modern platformer and kickstarted obsessive collection of shiny objects as a major focal point (look no further than the Banjo-Kazooie series to see that particular bit's staying power). It certainly is relevant from a historical perspective, from a game design perspective and because it's still entertaining, from a gameplay perspective. I'm having trouble understaind in what way it is not relevant.gameguy6700

Yeah, because it's not like games still have you collect 100 item X's, jump on enemies to kill them, or have hidden secrets.

And yeah, you're right, no game still turns to SMB when looking for inspiration...

Well, okay, that's just the same franchise. I mean, it's not like other developers still reference the game...

Easter eggs and user-created content don't count. In 20 years, referencing "The cake is a lie" isn't going to mean Portal is relevant.

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

Yup, I had the NES with Duck Hunt alongside SMB as well.

I played SMB 1, 2, and 3 (Though I was never entirely keen on 2. Very weird game). The simple mechanics of the game keep you coming back for more...which is something they nailed very well.

Seiryuu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Seiryuu-
Member since 2010 • 1202 Posts
I have played the one on the NES and still have a working cartridge of it.
Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
Who hasn't played SMB? lol Then again I'm 20. I feel bad for the kids just coming into this world with Call of Duty etc. as the norm to them. The NES was just ending its life when I was growing up, but kids still had them. I'm happy I got to rock the genesis though, ARG, such a wicked time to grow up.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Greyfeld

[QUOTE="Greyfeld"]

[QUOTE="Oilers99"] You haven't played Pong? *turns up nose* I would say the game is still relevant. There are a lot of elements in the original Super Mario Brothers that have their fingerprints all over modern gaming. It popularized jumping as a mechanic, exploration as a key element of gameplay, invented the modern platformer and kickstarted obsessive collection of shiny objects as a major focal point (look no further than the Banjo-Kazooie series to see that particular bit's staying power). It certainly is relevant from a historical perspective, from a game design perspective and because it's still entertaining, from a gameplay perspective. I'm having trouble understaind in what way it is not relevant.dvader654

New Super Mario Bros. blows your theory out of the water. NSMB is one of the best selling games of all time, it came out over 20 years after SMB but because SMB is still relevant and will always be relevant more people jumped at the idea to play a new version of classic than new types of Mario like Galaxy.

I wasn't aware that one exception makes me wrong.

Nintendo made a rehash of a game within their own franchise. That does not make a 25 year old game relevant in regards to the direction of gamers and growth within the industry.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I grew up with Super Mario Bros. 1 and Duck Hunt. I remember beating Super Mario Bros. 1 with my mom when I was like 4 or 5. I'd play the first couple levels since they were easier and she'd take the end. Fun times.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20983 Posts
Actually, I would contend that an overwhelming majority of us have played the original SMB. Not the best game in the series (that honor goes to World), but still extremely solid to this day.
ANNIHILISM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ANNIHILISM
Member since 2010 • 266 Posts

Treesmash
of course you could enjoy. it's a timeless platformer. and yes, i played it at my aunts house on her nintendo when i was like 4-6 so like 1995-1997. and its funny cause that same NES is sitting in my closet right now with games, including Golden Zelda. XD
djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="Greyfeld"]

Greyfeld

New Super Mario Bros. blows your theory out of the water. NSMB is one of the best selling games of all time, it came out over 20 years after SMB but because SMB is still relevant and will always be relevant more people jumped at the idea to play a new version of classic than new types of Mario like Galaxy.

Nintendo made a rehash of a game within their own franchise. That does not make a 25 year old game relevant in regards to the direction of gamers and growth within the industry.

Freaking LittleBigPlanet! The true return of the 2D platformer to prominence. Built on concepts that were popularized by SMB. 2 million user-made levels declare the formula still has legs.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

I played it when I was a kid. Never liked not being able to save my game, games nowadays are way better.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20983 Posts

[QUOTE="Greyfeld"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"] New Super Mario Bros. blows your theory out of the water. NSMB is one of the best selling games of all time, it came out over 20 years after SMB but because SMB is still relevant and will always be relevant more people jumped at the idea to play a new version of classic than new types of Mario like Galaxy. djsundowner

Freaking LittleBigPlanet! The true return of the 2D platformer to prominence. Built on concepts that were popularized by SMB. 2 million user-made levels declare the formula still has legs.

Mega Man 9 Mega Man 10 Castlevania Rebirth Castlevania: Harmony of Despair Contra Rebirth Hard Corps: Uprising Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Trine Donkey Kong Country Returns Kirby Epic Yarn Super Meat Boy Bionic Commando: Rearmed Bonk: Brink of Extinction
Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts
Yeah, I used to play it a lot.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points