Hardest game you've ever played?

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

Which would you say is the hardest you've ever played?

Has to be Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories (i STILL can't beat it)

seriously this has to be the most unfair, ruthless A.I., game ever

the game encourages you to go out and buy a Gameshark just to beat the game! and on top of that, you have to duel the same duelist 500 times to get one rare card!, and if you lose one duel in the campaign, and i mean one frickin duel, you get an immediate game over and have to start over but thank god for saving :)

anywho what do you think? :P

sorry I sound like AVGN it's just that this game has tramautized my life

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

Probably Alient Resurrection for PSX. ****, that game was haaaard.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#3 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
Easily something in the 8-bit generation, possibly battletoads or something of that nature.
BLBxLakers24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 126

#4 BLBxLakers24
Member since 2008 • 1716 Posts

Madden 06 easily, on pro dificulty I couldnt even win a game :(

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#5 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES. I finally beat it after 16-18 years. Never playin' it again, I swear. xD
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Not sure if its the hardest, buy Rayman was really hard, Ive never actually beaten the game(though honestly I didn't put as much effort as I should)

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

I always thought The Lost World: Jurassic Park on PS1 was too hard, I could never get past the level where the big sleeping dinosaur is chasing you through the jungle without cheats by the start :P

Anberlin_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Anberlin_2004
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts
Haunted Castle (Castlevania) Arcade and Ghosts N' Goblins
speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Not sure if its the hardest, buy Rayman was really hard, Ive never actually beaten the game(though honestly I didn't put as much effort as I should)

Darkman2007

Lol i tought the same :p

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Even after two decades of gaming, I've yet to find anything harder than Ghost N' Goblins on the NES.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
If you play Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds against the CPU on the highest difficulty you are going to get your butt kicked. Super Mario Bros 3 has allways been really hard for me and the Super Star Wars games aren't easy either.
A_Mobile_Doll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 A_Mobile_Doll
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

FIFA 08

The CPU was godly in that game.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts
Easily something in the 8-bit generation, possibly battletoads or something of that nature.Samslayer
Battletoads is by far the hardest game I've ever played...BY FAR.
sieg6529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#14 sieg6529
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts

In recent memory it was Demon's Souls, but all-time I would say Ghosts & Goblins on NES. Could never beat the first level.

Oddly enough, I never found Battle Toads that hard. Those snake levels could be a killer, but I could make it to the Gargantua with little other problems. With my roomie in college, we plowed through it in just a few hours.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES. I finally beat it after 16-18 years. Never playin' it again, I swear. xDaryoshi
That was a hard game for me too as a kid. There was that level towards the end with flying pilots with jetpacks and lasers...that was crazy hard.
Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emurozii
Member since 2010 • 269 Posts
Ghosts and Goblins on NES
TravJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TravJon
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

Darkman2007

I never beat it either. I gave up because it was too hard. But I beat Rayman 2

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
[QUOTE="aryoshi"]Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES. I finally beat it after 16-18 years. Never playin' it again, I swear. xDsayyy-gaa
That was a hard game for me too as a kid. There was that level towards the end with flying pilots with jetpacks and lasers...that was crazy hard.

But it was awesome!
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#19 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
[QUOTE="aryoshi"]Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES. I finally beat it after 16-18 years. Never playin' it again, I swear. xDsayyy-gaa

Yup, in the Technodrome after area 5. Ugh, kicked my ass for awhile. But I was usually stuck in the third area as a kid and througout the years, then I slowly worked up to area 4, then finally 5, which was no problem.. But that Technodrome interior.. God almighty.
Aneurysm_uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

#20 Aneurysm_uk
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts
Super R-Type on the Snes had a ridiculously punishing challenge, one hit-kills and no checkpoints, and the lack of speed and consistently good weaponry was like taking on the Persians in 300 with a toothpick. Super Ghouls and Ghosts was seriously hard as I remember, and there were plenty on the NES that I don't recall specifically. The Mega Man games could be ridiculously cheap in the way the enemies would respawn if you backtracked a single step as well.
Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES. I finally beat it after 16-18 years. Never playin' it again, I swear. xDaryoshi
You mean the one with the overworld and you could select between the turtles? Yeah, that game is a douche. My brother and I beat it once after playing it for like 14 hours straight. We were determined to show that game up. lol Another would be the original Contra on co-op. Crazy amounts of stuff happening on the screen at once.
mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#22 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
Dick Tracy on NES, you couldn't get through that game without using Game Genie, then when you did there was no point
tonycsusb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tonycsusb
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts
[QUOTE="aryoshi"]Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES. I finally beat it after 16-18 years. Never playin' it again, I swear. xDBreakTheseLinks
You mean the one with the overworld and you could select between the turtles? Yeah, that game is a douche. My brother and I beat it once after playing it for like 14 hours straight. We were determined to show that game up. lol Another would be the original Contra on co-op. Crazy amounts of stuff happening on the screen at once.

beat the gameboy version lol gotta love black and white!
Shadowstar1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Shadowstar1224
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
Metroid.
Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

Contra 4.

On bleedin' hard mode.

With no continues.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

tequilero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#27 tequilero
Member since 2005 • 9333 Posts

Hyper Street Fighter II,in that game only the first fight is easy,after that all the characters are impossible to beat on the first or second try.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#28 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

Hard in a "legit" way: Metroid.

Hard in a "cheap-ass" way: Megaman Battle Network 4. Capcom must've been smoking too much when they made this.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

castlevania 3

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Ninja Gaiden III on NES. There other two were hard, but they had unlimited continues. NGIII was sadistic because it only had 5. After that, you had to restart from the beginning. Tecmo was sadistic back in the day.

mandy88d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mandy88d
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Star Ocean 3 (PS2) Oh God, that tower/boss/bonus gauge...had to restart D:
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#32 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Star Ocean 3 (PS2) Oh God, that tower/boss/bonus gauge...had to restart D:mandy88d
Although a real challenge, it's not impossible. It just takes a lot of time and some chance. Decent game: Battletoads Cheap game: Ikari Warriors.
Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

Judging by how much it made me swear, Rally Cross for the PS1.

That game had so many glitches- that made it very frustrating. But I couldn't stop playing it.

Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

Which would you say is the hardest you've ever played?

Has to be Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories (i STILL can't beat it)

seriously this has to be the most unfair, ruthless A.I., game ever

the game encourages you to go out and buy a Gameshark just to beat the game! and on top of that, you have to duel the same duelist 500 times to get one rare card!, and if you lose one duel in the campaign, and i mean one frickin duel, you get an immediate game over and have to start over but thank god for saving :)

anywho what do you think? :P

sorry I sound like AVGN it's just that this game has tramautized my life

rwallacefan
i AGREE. THAT RUINED MY CHILDHOOD.
NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Easily Nintendo 8 bit games...except for Mario and Metroid

If something other than the 8 bit games then i would have to say.....no...8-bit games were just so hard that trying to think of anything else that comes close is impossible

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
I played several hardest games- R-Type Ghosts 'n Goblins series Strider The Adventures of Bayou Billy Ninja Gaiden series
Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Emurozii
Member since 2010 • 269 Posts
I wouldn't say Strider is that hard?
Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

True final boss on Mushi PS2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meegHdD0dAk&p

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#39 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

goldeneye twice

n64

and wii

Lynx777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lynx777
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts
I Wanna Be The Guy is the hardest game I've ever played.
djmattmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 djmattmg
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts

NES games, without a doubt. I bought a copy of Silver Surfer just to cry galactic tears.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#42 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Kid Icarus used to piss me off. Battle of Olympus and Zelda II were a pain too. 8 Eyes was hard cause of the controls.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Gradius III (original AC version).

Incredibly challenging and you had to clear it without any continues. The game was even recalled due to its difficulty level.

midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 midisurfmind
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

Super R-Type on the Snes had a ridiculously punishing challenge, one hit-kills and no checkpoints, and the lack of speed and consistently good weaponry was like taking on the Persians in 300 with a toothpick. Super Ghouls and Ghosts was seriously hard as I remember, and there were plenty on the NES that I don't recall specifically.Aneurysm_uk

These two are the exact two games I thought of first. There was one bit in Super R-Type somewhere in the 2nd level (I think) that I found impossible to get past (and it probably took me a decent while to get that far) and Ghouls and Ghosts is just insanely difficult.

Other candidates could be Bart vs The Space Mutants (awful controls and too vague in terms of which items you need to buy from shops etc) and the original Legend of Zelda (some solutions to puzzles seem impossible without a guide). And bullet hell shootemups etc.

SonicJam860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SonicJam860
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
My Hardest Games: 10. Altered Beast/ Genesis Collection 9. Pac-Man: Adventures in time/PC (you start off easy on the first 10 levels, then you progress through the next 35 LEVELS on your LAST LIFE!!!) 8. Shadow Dancer/ Genesis (It looks Like Shinobi SMS but there's a wolf companion in this game along with FREAKING ONE-HIT-DEATHS) 7. Kobo Deluxe/Ubuntu Software Center (or you can just download it from online... supposedly) 6. Mega Man Zero/ GBA (infinitely respawning enemies and hardcore bosses!!!) 5. Vectorman 1 & 2/ Genesis or Gems Collection 4. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon/GBA or DS (It's a VERY addicting series but, They keep changing the levels which ALREADY Take longer than ENTIRE GAMES!!! DO NOT CRITICIZE THIS CHOICE unless YOU played it YOURSELF!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE GETTING INTO!!!) 3. Comix Zone/Genesis Collection 2. Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link/ GBA (yes, you can play it on your gba... HOW DO PEOPLE ENJOY THIS MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL???) 1.Contra 4/ DS (U Need to focus on 2 Screens @ once and a second player needs ANOTHER game cart in order to join, and NO SAVE FEATURE For a DS Game) I also heard of another game called "I Wanna Be The Guy" and tried to download it, but I can't get it to work with "UBUNTU!!!!" (sigh) If I ever find a program that can get the game to work, I'll do a remake of this list. (Honorable Mention: 8-Bit Sonic 2/Gems Collection)
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories ain't that hard. I've already finished that game without codes. But I'll give you that, when you are at the labirynth it gets tough.

The hardest games I've ever played was Demon's Souls.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#47 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Megaman X series, Castlevania series, and Dark soul.. which I'm currently playing right now

limonman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 limonman32
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

DyranLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DyranLK
Member since 2011 • 104 Posts

Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories ain't that hard. I've already finished that game without codes. But I'll give you that, when you are at the labirynth it gets tough.tjricardo089

Indeed, it gets a little tricky there, iirc. It's been a helluva long time since I've played it, but sometimes, the A.I. would just obliterate you if you didn't have the right strategies to back you up when things got a little out of hand, lol. Other than that, though, it really wasn't all too difficult; although, Henshin did get pretty annoying at times...

*cough* Anyways, I guess I'd go with Battletoads or something, lol; have never played Ghosts n' Goblins or Silver Surfer, so I can't totally say anything about those, but man, Battletoads....The thing got pretty ridiculous at times..

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Conan NES

Conan on the NES. It's so incredibly difficult that it's seriously broken. I've NEVER made it past the first level, and when I was a kid I owned the game for many years. It would just be completely cheap with horrible controls, randomly spawning enemies, and if you're hit mid-air you just plummet straight down like a rock. What's incredibly annoying is when you jump over a pit, then an enemy randomly spawns in your path as you're jumping, sending you down the pit below to your death. If you can manage to make past all this, you are greeted with a boss that is just impossible to defeat at the end of stage 1. That's it, that's all you'll ever see of this turd in a cartridge, the first level.