Greatest RPG ever??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rickemosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 rickemosh
Member since 2008 • 31 Posts

what do YOU think would make the greatest rpg ever?

i want you all to go really deep with this i want you to think about it as though you were pitching this to a big boss dude.

people who play RPG's and love them like i do proberly go through them thinking "i wish i could do that" well tell me and others who will view this topic about them cos i wanna know what you all think is a great RPG like Fable, Final Fantasy etc or a completly new idea

dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

Eastern: Skies of Arcadia - Skies of Arcadia has heart. That is really the key element that seperates it from the thousand other JRPGs being churned out every year. It was made by an extremely passionate, detail-oriented group of people and every second of that game reflects the love that went into making the game. The characters are endearing. The setting is original. The story is simple but engaging. The writing and translation is fantastic. The one complaint I could see about this game is that while the art style and game mechanics are obviously straight out of Japan, the story clearly follows a western methodoligy.

Western: Star Control II - Star Control II is not only the best RPG ever made, it's the best game ever made. The story is awesome. The alien races are distinct, fleshed out, and original. The gravity well space combat engine hasn't really been surpassed in the 15 years since its release and serves as a fantastic combat engine. It also employs the most underrated mechanic in gaming: The Time Limit. The time limit in the game is reasonable and keeps you role playing rather than min maxing.

Oh and both games have amazing soundtracks, which is key to their success.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#3 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

Horror, Fantasy and a ruined world. Think Morrowind mixed with Fallout 3 and a bit of Call of Cthulhu in there. I'd call it Earthdawn after a little known Fasa pen and paper RPG.

The setting is strictly fantasy with trolls, dwarves, elves, humans, orcs as playable characters along with T'skrang (a lizard race), Obsidiman (think giant living humanoid stone people) and Windlings (foot tall winged race) set on a continent right after an event called the Scourge happened.

The Scourge is an event where the magic levels get so high that they enable people to create some amazing things like air ships and even air castles but the high level in magic also creates a tear in dimensions that bring through creatures called Horrors. These Horrors range from mindless, insatiable killing machines to methodical creatures that lurk in darkness and slowly cause strife in towns for decades just to devour the negative feelings.

The scourge causes everyone to go underground into buildings called Kaers, set with magical wards. Some kaers are attacked by creatures powerful enough to defeat these wards, others survive. When coming from these kaers they realise the world is a wasteland filled with corrupted landscapes, creatures and the few horrors that can survive now that the magic limit is declining.

With what was written for Earthdawn, there are a ton of things that could be done. And I'd love to play a truly brooding and dark RPG set in a fantasy setting where the most evil creatures are the ones that simply want to destroy life and happiness.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#4 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
Well my idea is an action based rpg with deep customization in the swords/bows/magic era. There is no evil bad guy or anything. You just exist in a world where humans arent dominating the food chain. You go to dungeons and ruins and outside environments and you fight all kinds of monsters. Monsters leave corpses that you get to loot mmo style and there would be all kinds of stuff to find. Weapons(multiple types), Armors(multiple types/locations), and Powder.

The powder is what would make my game standout. It comes in a variety of types that can be used to customize your stats, weapons, armors and who knows what else. You would find random types, and random quantities of powder. Once you fill a bag you can then use it to improve your character or gear. To fill a bag might require 100 units.

You characters stats and gear would have Disgaea type level caps(ie into the millions)

All the area's in the game would be stairstepped in difficulty. Or maybe there would be different sections to each area geared towards different power levels. You could goto any area you wanted but if you dont have the stats and gear to survive you would be easily crushed. Like the stat requirements for area could be like 10/25/50/100/250/500/1000 etc etc into the millions.

The cool part is you can use your powders to customize your guy however you want. You want to be a powerful mage use those types of powders, powerful archer use those types, want to be a mix do that. The same goes for your gear. If you find one type of sword more aestheticaly pleasing than another than customize it. Like a certain type of armor then build it up and collect the other pieces or mix and match.

Its lite on story but heavy on gameplay. It would probably be repetitive as all hell but hopefully the action based combat could help overcome that and I think being able to reach new area's would keep people playing. Of course the harder areas to reach would have the coolest items atleast according to the developers/me to further help push people to reach them.
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#5 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
I wish monster hunter had been less arcadey and more action based. I loved the humans vs dinosaurs theme. I loved the thought of using monster parts to make your equipment. But it didnt live up to my expectations at all lol.

I like the idea of humanity getting wiped out and being a hero from a small community who goes out into a harsh new world and not only starts to kick its butt but also helps to rebuild his community and make it prosper again. It would be cool if the things you did let you build up your town, add new shops, new people. Kind of like My Sims or Dark Cloud. That would be so dope.

Of course one of my other most favorite elements in an RPG has been good/evil decisions from KoToR and Fable. I can't really rate how well they used it but it might be cool if you made an rpg where you went through the game and could really terrorize the world/people. *shrugs*