• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Man, in one post you've exposed the limitations of the gaming medium. I read that paragraph above and tried to think of games that are interesting yet non-violent, I said to myself, sure I could find one gaming that has "action" but doesn't involve shooting or hack n'slash, but I couldnt find a single one. Zelda came to mind, but that has you weilding a sword, which leaves only Racing games, Sports games and games like Flower. So yeah, I agree with what you're saying. There simply aren't many action games that you can play games that your kids around.S0lidSnake
Beyond Good & Evil and Syberia are two examples of limited violence. In all honestly, though, how many movies or books don't feature violence. The Lion King has Mufasa being trampled. Scar takes over the pack ruling by brute force and fear. And this is a movie shown to young children. Tarzan kills a man, a Church man tries to kill a hunchback and a gypsy, a vizier tries to kill a thief, and all of these are just Disney movies. The classic books are all rife with violence. A crazed man on the hunt for a white whale, a boy following Injun Jim. Violence is a part of the human condition, and as such, it is nearly impossible to remove it from any form of entertainment medium. The question then is the amount and graphicness of the depiction, not the question of a depiction altogether.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Your are going this far on this minor thread? Man the topic of this gory games..not the analysis and the human condition of violence. Getting back on topic..... Dont forget about the really bad "The torture game 2" flash game on the internet.

WTTHENINJA

This place is a discussion forum, where one topic can evolve into many others. That's the beauty of discussion.

You may want to consider that little fact before lecturing me on what to post.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]Man, in one post you've exposed the limitations of the gaming medium. I read that paragraph above and tried to think of games that are interesting yet non-violent, I said to myself, sure I could find one gaming that has "action" but doesn't involve shooting or hack n'slash, but I couldnt find a single one. Zelda came to mind, but that has you weilding a sword, which leaves only Racing games, Sports games and games like Flower. So yeah, I agree with what you're saying. There simply aren't many action games that you can play games that your kids around.muthsera666
Beyond Good & Evil and Syberia are two examples of limited violence. In all honestly, though, how many movies or books don't feature violence. The Lion King has Mufasa being trampled. Scar takes over the pack ruling by brute force and fear. And this is a movie shown to young children. Tarzan kills a man, a Church man tries to kill a hunchback and a gypsy, a vizier tries to kill a thief, and all of these are just Disney movies. The classic books are all rife with violence. A crazed man on the hunt for a white whale, a boy following Injun Jim. Violence is a part of the human condition, and as such, it is nearly impossible to remove it from any form of entertainment medium. The question then is the amount and graphicness of the depiction, not the question of a depiction altogether.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Going back to your Lion King and Tarzan examples for a minute, everytime someone died in those cartoons, it was integral to the plot. The rest of it was pretty straight forward "Hukana Matata" stuff. THe only time you saw a violent sequence in those games was when the plot needed it. Same with the Harry Potter movies, the action and the violence is justified by the story, and isn't the main feature in the movie. Games like Uncharted have you shooting and killing people from start to finish. I agree with you that it's impossible to remove violence from games or movies or even books, but games rely on violence way too much. Lion King had three violent scenes in the entire movie...... Uncharted, Fallout, Zelda are built around combat, and the plot is there to keep u moving from one action set piece to another.

I remember playing the Lion King video game when i was young, and i loved it! It had so much variety, so many different gameplay sections that developers simply dont bother with nowadays. They design a gameplay system (be it shooting, sword combat or a hack n'slash combat system) and make the whole game around it.

WTTHENINJA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 WTTHENINJA
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Well you have to think there have been some less violent games that got GOTY. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, which if I am not mistaken had a rating of E. Also didn't Sims win GOTY once as well? I mean all the most recent GOTY's are fun, still sometimes I find it is nice to play some games that don't base the whole premiss on violence or gore etc. I mean I know some games do it for art and stuff like that.

Teekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Teekal
Member since 2003 • 371 Posts

*Teekal suffers 4x backstab damage from Wall of Text*

Whoa. Erm, don't mind me... I'm just posting a link for the OP that I stumbled over while perusing the forums:

Topic: "Taking it too far?"

civilwarboy90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 civilwarboy90
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I'd say gears, dead space, or Manhunt (the finishers were pretty brutal)
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Though it doesn't have much in the way of amount, Dragon Age sure loves the persistent gore.