Gore in Video Games

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

patsfan217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 patsfan217
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts

It's not that it's a new trend, but lately I've been paying more attention to games like GOW3. Some of the waysKratosmutilates people I find a bit disgusting. I know there are some people that like to watch those sequences, but they can be pretty intense. I know that in games like GeOW2 you have the option to turn off the gore, but I often leave it on, not because I like to watch it, but because it can remind me how awful war in real life really is. Sometimes I can forget the brutality of warwhen I'm playing games that glorify it. Just my two cents.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Humans are brutal beings. Most of us enjoy some blood and guts some of the time. It's something that has to be in varied doses though. That's why I usually play a violent game as well as a platformer at the same time.
boydcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 boydcake
Member since 2010 • 85 Posts

I've never turned the gore off in a game but some moves in GOW3 are disturbing. Killing a dog-like beast by pulling it's mouth apart...awful. Killing a Medusa by breaking her back that way? Awful. Maybe it's more of a girl thing though, as most of my guy gamer friends absolutely love the gore.

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
I don't mind gore, as long as it is not over the top. Once it reaches the level of what I would consider over the top, I enjoy the game less.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i remember when i was trying to convince my mom to let me get metal gear solid 2: sons of liberty, i borrowed my friend's copy to show her what it was like and i had the blood turned off and so she didn't think it was that bad :lol:

i like gore in games though. i wish they put more of it in modern warfare 2. instead of just having blood, i wish they would have the limbs come off like they did in WaW (they had that in that game, right?)

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts
GOW3 Can you say "try hard?" It's a nice game but they seem to be out of ideas there.
Gammet25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Gammet25
Member since 2009 • 1064 Posts

Some people in our race likes the pleasureness of gore or the detail of it. It just goes to show the detail of the human race.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
I enjoy gore in video games, and I end up being a less violent person outside games.
JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#9 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts

As long as its not too over the top, i enjoy it.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I agree. Suffice to say: for as much as I loved Fallout 3, I will ignore the new Fallout New Vegas if they haven't toned the gore down.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44394 Posts
I really enjoy gore in videogames, the more over the top it is the better. For me it's just something that adds to the "wow-factor".
Bedizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bedizen
Member since 2009 • 2576 Posts

It's a game it's not real

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

::Shrugs:: Hostel and Saw are much worse than this.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 muthsera666
::Shrugs:: Hostel and Saw are much worse than this.LoserMike
Exactly. Games use the gore to enhance the games, but the whole point of Hostel and the later Saw movies is the gore itself.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

GOW3 Can you say "try hard?" It's a nice game but they seem to be out of ideas there.anthonycg

Care to elaborate? Because the critical consensus seems to disagree sharply with your assertion.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 anthonycg

[QUOTE="anthonycg"]GOW3 Can you say "try hard?" It's a nice game but they seem to be out of ideas there.Grammaton-Cleric

Care to elaborate? Because the critical consensus seems to disagree sharply with your assertion.

That doesn't make it right now does it? But it's just an opinion. I think GOW3 was way over the top that's all. Pulling off heads was cool for a while, but it gets old after the 10th one....
Rckstrchik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Rckstrchik
Member since 2010 • 1271 Posts

I've never turned the gore off in a game but some moves in GOW3 are disturbing. Killing a dog-like beast by pulling it's mouth apart...awful. Killing a Medusa by breaking her back that way? Awful. Maybe it's more of a girl thing though, as most of my guy gamer friends absolutely love the gore.

boydcake

It Must Be A Girl Thing Because I'm A Girl And Find The Gore In Games Disgusting Too And So Do Many Of My Girl Friends.

Especially When I Had To Kill A Poor Dog In COD. I Also Hate When They Have Neck Snapping And Close Up Headshots.

But I've Never Turned The Gore Off In A Game Though, I Just Turn My Head Or Something.

Rckstrchik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rckstrchik
Member since 2010 • 1271 Posts

Bedizen

But For Some Psychos, It Can BECOME Real.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 anthonycg

[QUOTE="Bedizen"]

Rckstrchik

But For Some Psychos, It Can BECOME Real.

Well that's the fault of the parents and not the game devs.
waffle6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 waffle6
Member since 2004 • 44 Posts

I love gore. Makes everything more satisfying.

Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="anthonycg"]GOW3 Can you say "try hard?" It's a nice game but they seem to be out of ideas there.anthonycg

That doesn't make it right now does it? But it's just an opinion. I think GOW3 was way over the top that's all. Pulling off heads was cool for a while, but it gets old after the 10th one....

That is what Cratos does....so why would they alter a character just because one or 2 people think that they have seen enough of the head popping? Seriously though please realize that there has to be some consistency in style and gameplay.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Everybody has a sort of darkside where we find some sort of delight in Violence and pain. It varies from person to person however, you have those that find it fun to gun down zombies with a machinegun in a game, Watch a boxing match or simply someone slipping on Ice.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

[QUOTE="anthonycg"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Sacif

That is what Cratos does....so why would they alter a character just because one or 2 people think that they have seen enough of the head popping? Seriously though please realize that there has to be some consistency in style and gameplay.

I agree with anthonycg on the "gets old" part. I don't like QT events as a general rule. In this case, the cine-kills or CS events or whatever you call them really rob the moment of any kind of impact, especially after you've seen it x amount of times.

Bloodrayne 2, whatever else you might say about it, nailed the gore part. Whatever your blade hits gets severed and that could be a head, a scalp, a couple of fingers, whatever. I mean, there were finite sever points, but there were so many and the hit detection was so solid that it really felt like every fatality was hand-engineered by the player. That might be morbid sounding, but it's much better than clicking buttons in time with what basically amounts to a movie. There's a visceral quality to it that GoW cinekills lack. They're often times more spectacle than anything, and if I'm not trying to get magic or health orbs, I generally like to avoid starting them.

On the general topic of gore, no game has come close to real war footage...the aftermath of explosives, flammables or high caliber shells. I don't necessarily want to see games try, either. I think in some cases gore can establish character, e.g, God of War, and so serve a real purpose in establishing a quality experience, but unless you give it a context, it just becomes a cheap marketing trick, e.g, State of Emergency.

And yeah, Hostel is worse than anything in gaming. So is that Spartacus series. Like a couple weeks ago when Ilthyia smashed that chicks face on the stairs. DAMN! Kratos smashing that guy with a door in GoW2 was nowhere near as bad.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Hey, I dont think there is anything glorious about violence although again I have no problem with it being in video games. I agree though GOW3 is really gorey. I mean beyond a lot of games. I hope people don't really enjoy the gore and mutilation of it as much as the feeling of being a Greek Warlord and the adventure and adrenaline rush. I certainly don't agree with censoring games because of violence though.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Also some of you guys need to cool off your really jumping on him. He never suggested changing Kratos's character or the game. Nor did he criticize it. He was simply pointing out a fact and his opinion about the game...geez.

Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sacif

He was simply pointing out a fact and his opinion about the game...geez.

TacticalDesire

As were we, and yet our responses come off as angry? No need to babysit threads, we have mods for that.

thisguy51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thisguy51
Member since 2006 • 5319 Posts
Yeah some of the gore in some games nowadays is kind of disturbing. I don't know why there has to be so much.
thisguy51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thisguy51
Member since 2006 • 5319 Posts

boydcake
Could not agree more and I'm a guy. It's ridiculous.
kodyoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kodyoo
Member since 2010 • 258 Posts

If you don't play the video games on full gore, how do you expect to be fully desensitized by the government when it needs you to torture people?

Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sacif

If you don't play the video games on full gore, how do you expect to be fully desensitized by the government when it needs you to torture people?

kodyoo

Thankfully water boarding is gore free, its just water...everyone likes water :P

Seriously though I have been playing games since almost the beginning and have seen the progression of how our wonderfully hobbies/careers/obsessions to this point. I don't think normal people become desensitized by gore, I am not scientist nor have I done any indepth research. To give a personal example about 6 months ago I was in a very bad car accident. A drunk driver t-boned me doing about 40mph. I had slight bruising nothing too serious thankfully. However he had a big gash on his forehead that was bleeding a lot...I didn't know the head could bleed out like he was and I found out I am very sensitive when it comes to real-life situations where gore is involved.

However I am going to say that I feel that there are those out there that lack the mental stability to be able to differentiate the difference between GTA blood and real life blood. There will always be an extreme on either side of the spectrum of what most consider normal habitual behaviour.

I would also be quite shocked to see someone get their arm cut off and no gore being displayed in real life...I would have a lot of proof that zombies are in fact living quietly among us.

Gammet25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 Gammet25
Member since 2009 • 1064 Posts

::Shrugs:: Hostel and Saw are much worse than this.

LoserMike

Oh tell me about it.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 muthsera666
On the general topic of gore, no game has come close to real war footage...the aftermath of explosives, flammables or high caliber shells. I don't necessarily want to see games try, either.Ish_basic
I've heard that Brothers in Arms gets really close to that atmosphere. As well as some of the other WWII shooters.
BlackhawkBix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34 BlackhawkBix
Member since 2009 • 258 Posts

I like gore to a point. I do agree it can be over the top at times. I was personally grossed out by Dante's Inferno, but wasn't bothered by God of War 3. Maybe I'm just prejudiced towards certain games. :D

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#35 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

There are some games where gore is neccasary to be satisfying. (Resident Evil, Left 4 Dead.) But I rreally am not concerned with gore, I'm more concerned with fun gameplay.

Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts

I agree. Suffice to say: for as much as I loved Fallout 3, I will ignore the new Fallout New Vegas if they haven't toned the gore down.Black_Knight_00

the gore in fallout is comical,just like kill bill for example.Its not supposed to be serious.You should grow a tougher stomach:P

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

i find it alright. but it does get to intense.

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
I don't mind a game with or without gore, and I think some use it purposely to make sure their game gets an 18+ rating or something like that. I mean, what kind of kid should be playing Dead Space anyway? Also with the gore there is a sense of realism, and some people have been shown to commit less violent acts because of how disgusting gore can be.
jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#39 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts
I was pretty grossed out by the demo of GOW3,and gore in movies and games has never really bothered me. The part in particular was when he was very close up and brutally with his hands ripping off a guys head.
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

I think it works surprisingly well for Resident Evil. I don't know about you guys, but I have a motivation to stay alive in order to avoid watching a gruesome death scene.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I've never really liked games that include gore for the sake of gore... and God of War III (especially) strikes me as the kind of game that just puts it in there for effect. Even when it is over-the-top (i.e. Killer7) but has an artistic purpose, I tend to still enjoy it. But gore for the sake of gore just doesn't make any sense to me.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I agree. Suffice to say: for as much as I loved Fallout 3, I will ignore the new Fallout New Vegas if they haven't toned the gore down.Hate_Squad

the gore in fallout is comical,just like kill bill for example.Its not supposed to be serious.You should grow a tougher stomach:P

Maybe I need to, but if you find slow motion exploding heads comical, I have no words :O
M_1_A_M_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 M_1_A_M_I
Member since 2010 • 938 Posts
I love the gore :)
kodyoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kodyoo
Member since 2010 • 258 Posts
[QUOTE="Hate_Squad"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I agree. Suffice to say: for as much as I loved Fallout 3, I will ignore the new Fallout New Vegas if they haven't toned the gore down.Black_Knight_00

Maybe I need to, but if you find slow motion exploding heads comical, I have no words :O

He is making a comment on how laughable the graphics are when they are overdone to such a degree. But i think you knew what he meant and are just being picky on his choice of words.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Hate_Squad"]

kodyoo

He is making a comment on how laughable the graphics are when they are overdone to such a degree. But i think you knew what he meant and are just being picky on his choice of words.

Yeah, i'm just messing around.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Black_Knight_00
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I've never really liked games that include gore for the sake of gore... and God of War III (especially) strikes me as the kind of game that just puts it in there for effect. Even when it is over-the-top (i.e. Killer7) but has an artistic purpose, I tend to still enjoy it. But gore for the sake of gore just doesn't make any sense to me.

foxhound_fox

A classic case of distinction without difference.

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

I like gore in video games as long as it feels like it should be there. The gore in games like God of War and Gears of War just seems like it should be there. Probably because they are very dark games. I would not like it if I had gore in something like Uncharted, it would fell out of place.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#49 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I have no problem with gore in video games. I guess maybe I've become desensitized, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is. It's just part of the fantasy of escaping into a different world. Plus, it adds style to some games. I can't imagine No More Heroes without blood. :?
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Gore in games doesn't really affect me, as it lacks the most fundamental aspect of what makes it so disturbing in RL: the human connnection. Without that, it's simply comical and completely superficial. GOW III's brutality is, in all honestly, hilarious to witness. Videogame violence has not been portrayed realistically enough for me to become to any extent disturbed by it (Modern Warfare 2's "No Russian" mission is one exception, but even then it's still quite lighthearted). It's very similar to pornagraphy; there's sex but no love. Therefor, it's rendered meaningless. A sentimental analogy, but it gets the point across....