good snes games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lilkarlh666
Member since 2009 • 168 Posts

Hey guys, ive jus purchased a complete boxed super mario world snes that ive been after for years. I have bought the most common games like donkey kong country 1-3, super metroid, mario world, allstars and yoshis island, mario kart and zelda, but i was wondering what other good games there were that are worth collecting.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Let's see...

Final Fantasy '2' and '3'

Earthbound

Chrono Trigger

Ogre Battle

Super Mario RPG

Super Castlevania 4

Kirby Super Star

Super Punch Out

The list goes on.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

Let's see...

Final Fantasy '2' and '3'

Earthbound

Chrono Trigger

Ogre Battle

Super Mario RPG

Super Castlevania 4

Kirby Super Star

Super Punch Out

The list goes on.

Pixel-Perfect

a solid list right here ^

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

The greatest system ever made, IMO.

• Actraiser
  • The Death & Return of Superman
  • Donkey Kong Country 1-3
  • The Illusion of Gaia
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems
  • Maximum Carnage (Spider-Man)
  • Mortal Kombat 2 & 3
  • Raiden Trade
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Separation Anxiety (Spider-Man)
  • Sim City
  • Super Castlevania
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Metroid
  • Super R-Type
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2
  • X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pegalamp
Member since 2011 • 600 Posts

• Actraiser
  • The Illusion of Gaia
  • Mortal Kombat 2 & 3
  • Raiden Trade
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Sim City
  • Super Castlevania
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Metroid
  • Super R-Type
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2

Emerald_Warrior

Super Street Fighter II Hyper Omega Turbo XII Hack Limited Edition Annniversery Pack. How could you list all that without adding this?

Oh and Megaman X1-3, Megamn 7. Robotrek, 7th

As well as games like Legandary Axe.... Wait that's the Turbo-16

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#6 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

TMNT 4 Turtles in Time

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

• Actraiser
  • The Illusion of Gaia
  • Mortal Kombat 2 & 3
  • Raiden Trade
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Sim City
  • Super Castlevania
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Metroid
  • Super R-Type
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2

Pegalamp

Super Street Fighter II Hyper Omega Turbo XII Hack Limited Edition Annniversery Pack. How could you list all that without adding this?

Oh and Megaman X1-3, Megamn 7. Robotrek, 7th

As well as games like Legandary Axe.... Wait that's the Turbo-16

Can't believe I forgot Mega Man X, I was just playing it the other day.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I was going to say "Ultimate Air Combat" but in searching it out before posting, I found out it was an NES game - DOH! Still, one of the best air combat games of the gen.

"TecmoBowl", perhaps?

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

Contra III: The Alien Wars
R-Type III
Gradius III
Stargate
Super Return of the Jedi
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Turtles in Time
Space Megaforce
Axelay
Biometal
Blazeon

Raiden Trad was alright but the Genesis version was better.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Emerald_Warrior

pills4louis

If you like your games sounding like their coming from inside a tin can.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Good SNES games?

Here's my top picks in no particular order:

• Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Super Metroid
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Mega Man X
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
  • Pilotwings
  • Sim City
  • Aerobiz
  • Saturday Night Slam Masters
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Super Punch-Out!!

EDIT: add "Aerobiz"

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pills4louis

[QUOTE="pills4louis"]

Emerald_Warrior

The Genesis version was actually very close to the arcade game. They made the SNES version too easy, and even removed one of the things Raiden is known best for: the 2nd loop of the game. Also, I'm sorry, but as limited as the Genesis sound board was, some developers made damn good use of it. The Sonic series (especially S3&K), Technosoft's Thunder Force series, Zero Wing, and Ecco: The Tides of Time all come to mind. It's also funny when people talk trash about the Genesis sound board when most early SNES games sound like someone's blowing a kazoo into a tin can. This is evident in Raiden Trad, but especially notable in the horrible SNES port of Thunder Force III, titled Thunder Spirits.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
E.V.O: The Search for Eden.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="pills4louis"]

pills4louis

The Genesis version was actually very close to the arcade game. They made the SNES version too easy, and even removed one of the things Raiden is known best for: the 2nd loop of the game. Also, I'm sorry, but as limited as the Genesis sound board was, some developers made damn good use of it. The Sonic series (especially S3&K), Technosoft's Thunder Force series, Zero Wing, and Ecco: The Tides of Time all come to mind. It's also funny when people talk trash about the Genesis sound board when most early SNES games sound like someone's blowing a kazoo into a tin can. This is evident in Raiden Trad, but especially notable in the horrible SNES port of Thunder Force III, titled Thunder Spirits.

I didn't say a thing about the Genesis itself, so moot point there. I'm only talking about Raiden. The SNES version looks and sounds better, that's all I meant.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pills4louis

I didn't say a thing about the Genesis itself, so moot point there. I'm only talking about Raiden. The SNES version looks and sounds better, that's all I meant.

Emerald_Warrior

But you still said it sounds better, when the SNES sound board had its own shortcomings as well. (with the exception of the later 24-meg and 32-meg cartridges) Regardless, Raiden Trad for Genesis is still considered the better version of the game, especially by people who like their shmup ports to be close to the arcade version, and prefer a real challenge. Raiden IV lets you respawn right where you die because the game was designed around the concept with how hard it was. Trad was designed around the idea of respawning at checkpoints. The SNES port not only had instant-respawn to make it much too easy for Raiden veterans, but even went so far as to make the enemies easier-- less health and less bullets. These aspects, as well as the complete lack of a 2nd loop (a must-have staple for the Raiden series) dumbed the game down to the point of not even being "Raiden" anymore. Ask anyone who actually likes the Raiden series, or has knowledge of shmups in general, and they'll tell you the same thing.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emerald_Warrior

pills4louis

But you still said it sounds better, when the SNES sound board had its own shortcomings as well. (with the exception of the later 24-meg and 32-meg cartridges) Regardless, Raiden Trad for Genesis is still considered the better version of the game, especially by people who like their shmup ports to be close to the arcade version, and prefer a real challenge. Raiden IV lets you respawn right where you die because the game was designed around the concept with how hard it was. Trad was designed around the idea of respawning at checkpoints. The SNES port not only had instant-respawn to make it much too easy for Raiden veterans, but even went so far as to make the enemies easier-- less health and less bullets. These aspects, as well as the complete lack of a 2nd loop (a must-have staple for the Raiden series) dumbed the game down to the point of not even being "Raiden" anymore. Ask anyone who actually likes the Raiden series, or has knowledge of shmups in general, and they'll tell you the same thing.

Yeah, I could care less what those so-called experts say. I like Raiden, and I prefer the SNES version, because it looks and sounds better. If you'd rather have the Genesis version because it's harder, fine. I'd rather have it look and sound better.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pills4louis

Yeah, I could care less what those so-called experts say. I like Raiden, and I prefer the SNES version, because it looks and sounds better. If you'd rather have the Genesis version because it's harder, fine. I'd rather have it look and sound better.

Emerald_Warrior

I own both. I honestly think they both sound equally decent (for lack of a nicer way to put it) when considering both system's hardware limitations. I also don't see how it looked better on SNES, especially when it didn't even run as smoothly. Regardless, self-respecting shmup fans usually play a game of this type for the challenge. You still didn't address the SNES version's lazy exclusion of the 2nd loop, btw. If it's Raiden, it has a 2nd loop.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Emerald_Warrior

pills4louis

I own both. I honestly think they both sound equally decent (for lack of a nicer way to put it) when considering both system's hardware limitations. I also don't see how it looked better on SNES, especially when it didn't even run as smoothly. Regardless, self-respecting shmup fans usually play a game of this type for the challenge. You still didn't address the SNES version's lazy exclusion of the 2nd loop, btw. If it's Raiden, it has a 2nd loop.

Ha. Whatever. You obviously are looking at them with preference for the Genesis version. You'd have to be blind and deaf to not see or hear the differences. The sprites are obviously larger on the SNES version, and the music alone puts the sound on the Genesis version to shame. I can't argue the difficulty, but the sound and graphics are without a doubt better on the SNES version. Go YouTube it right now and then come back and tell me the Genesis version looks and sounds better, I dare you.

Regardless, do you really think the differences on each version of Raiden are enough to convince this guy whether or not to buy a SNES? Is it that important?

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pills4louis

Ha. Whatever. You obviously are looking at them with preference for the Genesis version. You'd have to be blind and deaf to not see or hear the differences. The sprites are obviously larger on the SNES version, and the music alone puts the sound on the Genesis version to shame. I can't argue the difficulty, but the sound and graphics are without a doubt better on the SNES version. Go YouTube it right now and then come back and tell me the Genesis version looks and sounds better, I dare you.

Regardless, do you really think the differences on each version of Raiden are enough to convince this guy whether or not to buy a SNES? Is it that important?

Emerald_Warrior

Heard them both, but checked Youtube for a refresher. Just as I remember, they both make decent use of their respective sound boards, which isn't saying a lot since they were both early titles for the systems. Listening to this music again, it reminds me of just how subjective the subject of music really is. It's not terribly important in the grand scale of this thread, just saying the Genesis version-- in terms of gameplay-- is the definitive version of the game, as far as ports go. The SNES version only has "larger sprites" because the display is stretched horizontally to cover the entire screen. The soundtrack is honestly not anywhere near as important as the changes to the game itself. Anyway, enjoy your game ending on stage 1-8 instead of 2-8. Regardless, Raiden Trad isn't even the best in the series, and certainly not the best top-down shmup on either system by any means.

rholding2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 rholding2000
Member since 2004 • 208 Posts

without reading what everyon else has put although i guess my list will definately be duplicated i recommend you play these.

1. chrono trigger - christ this is a great game but VERY RARE to get the cart . . or it was when i had a snes and looked for it

2 mario kart - NEVER got better than this (oh no ....it did on the gba)

3.Zelda 3 - best zelda game ever imo

4.if you can find it yoshi attack i think its called

5. mortal combat/killer instinct/primal rage

6.FinalFantasy 6

7. Double dragon 5

8. castlevania

9. mario rpg

10. another world and or pitfall

to all those above or the one guy that started the flaming, who cares, ALL of the cross platform games were better on the snes apart from mortal combat . . just like they are all the best on the xbox now

EDIT:wait a sec i forgot

Star fox and the best racing game i think i ever played.... stunt race fx

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pills4louis

to all those above or the one guy that started the flaming, who cares, ALL of the cross platform games were better on the snes apart from mortal combat

rholding2000

Actually, that's an opinion. For example, Aladdin and Shadowrun. The Genesis and SNES versions of each are completely different games outright. Even to this day, fans debate which version was "better". However, one of the utmost best examples of a Genesis version being objectively superior to its SNES counterpart is the Genesis classic Thunder Force III, and its infamous SNES port known as Thunder Spirits. It's quite possibly the worst port of a shmup until the GBA version of R-Type III: The Third Lightning reared its ugly head. You don't even need to be a "shmup major" to pick Thunder Spirits apart. Anyone who isn't blind or deaf could tell you the game was an abortion in terms of visual and audio presentation, and an insult to the renowned Thunder Force series. Also notable are the differences between the SNES and Genesis versions of Zombies Ate My Neighbors, with the consensus in favor of the Genesis version due to red blood versus the heavily-censored SNES version's purple. (similarly to why people prefer Mortal Kombat on the Genesis over the SNES)

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
super mario kart earth worm jim pilot wings punch out super street fighter 2 mega man x and there are so many more. honestly snes has such a large library there is so much to choose from.
Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

Shockingly, none of these have been mentioned by anyone in the thread so far...

Cybernator

Demon's Crest

Super Ghouls N Ghosts

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals

Breath of Fire 1 & 2

Hagane

Skyblazer

Mickey Mania

Ninja Warriors

Wild Guns

Also, you might want to get an adapter so you can play Super Famicom games and get your hand on... (don't worry, none are Japn. language required titles, although knowledge may lead to a minor increase in the enjoyment of some of these titles)

Do Re Me Fantasy

Cotton 100%

Spriggan Powered

Front Mission: Gunhazard(Ignore the English writing in the vid, it's from a fan patch for a rom)

Sutte Hakkun

Umihara Kawase

Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W - Endless Duel

The Go Go Ackman series (No, your not nuts, the character models look like DBZ, DQ, Chrono characters because Akira Toriyama did them.)

Magical Pop'N

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

if you like rpg's or free roaming open world games or like history a bit then definetely tru uncharted waters 2 new horizons, one of the best and most revolutionary games I've ever played

zerosuitfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 zerosuitfan91
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

megaman x1-x3 and earthworm jim 1 and 2