Good ps1 games That aren't RPG's?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheLongTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheLongTiger
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Well never had a ps1 growing up and now i do! Anyways i just need some good ps1 games that aren't rpgs , I don't have anything against rpgs , but i just want some good non-RPG games. Ones i own are: Legacy of kain soul reaver, street fighter alpha 3, bloody roar (awesome!), RE Directors cut, R4 ridge racer type 4, GTA 2, Crash Bandicoot Warped, bust a move 99, hulk pantheon saga (EWW), PAC-MAN World, Pong the next level, Duke nukem time to kill, and Grand Turismo!
dmaze36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dmaze36
Metal Gear Solid if you haven't played it yet.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts
  • Crash Bandicoot 2 - 3
  • Spyro the Dragon 2 - 3
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Thunderforce V
  • Einhander
  • Klonoa
  • Tomba 1 & 2
  • Crash Team Racing (for SP, splitscreen is pretty damn choppy)
  • Omega Boost 
  • Symphony of the Night
  • Wipeout XL
  • PaRappa The Rapper

I highly recommend each one of them.

TheLongTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheLongTiger
Parappa, Tomba Series, klonoa, and CTR all look fun, Definitley gonna look for them
Melkari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Melkari
Member since 2004 • 595 Posts
  • Silent Hill
  • Silent Bomber
  • R-Type Delta
  • Colony Wars
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee & Exoddus
  • Monster Rancher 2 (although it's sort of an RPG, but not really)
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

Wow - 5-time post there TheLongTiger - off-topic if you get the "OOPS" page, your post likely went through, but you'll have to navigate back to the topic and refresh the page to see it.

Anyway, some favorites of mine (as I don't really have RPG's as my favorite genre)
Bloody Roar,
Bloody Roar 2,
Castlevania Chronicles,
Castlevania: SotN,
Fighting Force,
Metal Slug X,
Moto Racer,
Need for Speed,
Nuclear Strike,
Road Rash,
Road Rash 3D,
Soviet Strike,
Spider-Man,
Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
Strider 2,
Tekken 2,
Tekken 3,
Ten Pin Alley,
Twisted Metal,
Twisted Metal 2,
Vigilante 8,
Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense,
Wipeout 2097/XL,
Wipeout 3 (Wip3out)

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Action/Adventure:

• Apocalypse - VERY fun 3D run-n-run game that switches from top-down view to third-person view depending on the situation. Destructive environments, lots of weapons and enemies, great soundtrack, and starring Bruce Willis, no less. I never hear it mentioned, though.

• Armored Core - Mech Game, very customizable options.

• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Best Castlevania game, IMO. And one of the best games ever created. Metroidvania at it's finest. Great 2D effects in this one, too, with a superb soundtrack.

• Fighting Force - Very fun (albeit short) 3D beat-em up very much in the spirit of Final Fight or Streets of Rage. With 2-player co-op!

• Future Cop: L.A.P.D. - A combination of a mech game and a top-down shooter. Highly-destructive environments make this one a blast to play through with some very cool multiplayer modes.

• Mega Man Legends - A very unique 3D adventure game that is unlike any other Mega Man game you have ever played before. Controls take some getting used to, but you get the hang of it real quick. Very exploration-based, and it has a quirky sense about it, like a JRPG, even though it isn't a JRPG.

• Metal Slug X - Very fun Metal Slug 2D run-n-game with a great sense of humor. Metal Slug games always deliver if you're into run-n-guns.

• Resident Evil 1-3 - The original Resident Evil trilogy. These games are much more based in survival-horror than they are action. So be ready for a B-Movie ride that every gamer should experience.

• Spider-Man 1 & 2 - Different from PS2/XBox/GameCube versions. More comic-book based, and the foundation the first Movie game was based from.

• Tenchu: Stealth Assassins - Stealth-based gameplay where you play as a ninja assassin in Feudal Japan. The game is just so much fun as you sneak around rooftops and treetops, unleashing shadowy ninja death upon your enemies.

Fighting:

• Bloody Roar 1 & 2 - Unique 3D fighting game where you're characters can sort of "level-up" into beast forms. Lots of fun, actually. Especially when you run into an enemy, change into beast form, and slam their arses into the wall behind them with the flash of energy, so satisfying.

• Marvel Super Heroes - Marvel Comics characters, using a Capcom fighitng engine, beating the hell out each other...what more do you need to know?

• Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - The precursor to Marvel vs. Capcom and done to the Capcom fighting game shine that you'd expect.

• Mortal Kombat Trilogy - The best parts of the original Mortal Kombat Trilogy are combined here to make one massive game and roster of characters to choose from. Best original style Mortal Kombat game, IMO.

• Street Fighter Alpha 1-3 - More Street Fighter, here. I know, I sound redundant. But Capcom really did shine on the PS1.

• X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Marvel's Merry Mutants come face-to-face with Capcom's best fighters in a fun crossover fighting game.

Platformers:

• Crash Bandicoot 1-3 - Great platformer series that mixes 3D levels with 2D levels.

• Gex - 2D platformer that is a lot of fun to play. Only problem is that it was one of those 90s game where the character had to have an attitude, so after extended gameplay his one-liners start getting real old. Before they start getting old, they are actually pretty entertaining, though, as he has a lot of great pop-culture references in them.

• Pac-Man World - This series is seriously one of hte most underrated platformer series out there. Nothing like the old Pac-Man games. This is more of a Spyro-esque platfomer with an emphasis on exploration and item collecting. But be prepared for some real platforming challenge as the game progresses. Great contols and a very satisfying jumping scheme in the ill-named "butt-bounce" move.

• Spyro the Dragon 1-3 - Just plain fun to run around the worlds in Spyro exploring and discovering the secrets after secrets that they hold.

Shoot-Em Ups:

• Einhander - Unique, stylish, difficult, yet addicting shoot-em up by Squaresoft of all companies.

• G-Darius - Robotic fish look to take over Galaxy (or something, now sure why they're robotic fish). It's up to you to stop them. The boss battles are what REALLY stand-out in this one. Take down each boss a piece at a time. And a pretty cool power-up system, to boot.

• In The Hunt - A submarine shoot-em up that is VERY reminiscent of Metal Slug in it's art-style, and just as fun.

• Raiden Project - Truth be told, I haven't actually playd this one, yet. But I'm a HUGE fan of the Raiden series, always have been, and I have faith that this one is a good one since all the other games in the series I have played and have been fantastic.

• Thunder Force V - Best shoot-em up on the system, as far as I'm concerned. This series was perfected with this game.

Racing:

• Need For Speed 1-3 - Great street-racing game series that still exists today for a reason. See how it all started here, cop-chases included.

• Ridge Racer - Very limited content, so don't pay too much for this one. But the little bit that is here is very fun, arcade-style, jump in and play racing gameplay with great music to go along with it. One of the more impressive looking early PS1 games, as well.

• Road Rash & Road Rash 3D - Very cool motorcycle-racing games that sprinkle in a bit of combat as well. Early PS1 graphics, though.

Other:

• Intelligent Qube - VERY addicting 3D puzzle game. Unfortunately, also very hard to track down at a decent price. I played the hell out the demo I had on a PS Magazine Demo Disc.

• Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-3 - Just plain good ole' video game fun here. I'm not even a skater kid or anything. Controls are awesome, so it's blast to ride around and pull off tricks on practically anything.

• Twisted Metal 1-4 - Very fun, especially in local-mulitplayer, car-combat game with lots of levels, different cars to play as, and tons of different weapons to use. Just pure chaos, which is exactly what you want in these sort of games.

• Vigilante 8 1 & 2 - Does what the Twisted Metal games do, even better than the Twisted Metal games do, IMO.

• WWF Smackdown 1 & 2 - Two best wrestling games on the system, bar-none.
SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

MGS & MGS: VR Missions

Colony Wars 1-3

Ace Combat 2 & 3

Einhander

Ape Escape

Crash Bandicoot 1 & 2

Crash Team Racing

Klonoa

Oddworld 1 & 2

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit & High Stakes

Tekken 2 & 3

Soul Blade

Silent Hill

Resident Evil 2 & 3

Dino Crisis 1 & 2

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Tomba, everyone should play Tomba.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#17 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Twisted Metal 1 and 2, Tomba! (though it has some RPG elements,) Tekken, Castlevanis SoTN, and the mortal Kombats are a good start.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Kinda off-topic, but it looks like a a few others are getting the 'oops' page when trying to post, or the server is re-posting it a few minutes later repeatedly.
TheLongTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheLongTiger
definitely gonna get Abe's Odyssey it looks like some fun!
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Syphon Filter series

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Ghost in the Shell Trap Gunner
pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#24 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts
Silent Hill Medievil Twisted Metal Syphon Filter Alien Trilogy WWF Smackdown! Dino Crisis Dino Crisis 2 RE1 RE2 RE3 Nightmare Creatures
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#26 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Oh, I forgot the Spyro and Crash games. They were pretty good platformers.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#27 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Alone in the Dark 2

Alundra

Broken Sword

Crash Bandicoot 1-3

Dragon Valor

Gran Turismo 2

Jumping Flash!

Metal Gear Solid

Mizzurna Falls

Policenauts

Resident Evil 1-3

Silent Hill

Tomb Raider 1-3

Wipeout 2097

WWF Smackdown 1 & 2

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Alundra (some consider it an RPG, it's action/adventure similar to Zelda series depending how you feel about that) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Crash Team Racing (and 1-2 but those are obvious if you like Warped) Colony Wars series Dino Crisis 1-2 Einhander In the Hunt Jumping Flash 1-2 Klonoa Mega Man 8/X4, Legends 1-2 (X5 and X6 are fun as well but those are the better ones imo) Metal Gear Solid Metal Slug X R-Type Delta Resident Evil 2-3 Spider-Man 1-2 Spyro 1-3 Strider 2 Thunder Force V Tobal no.1 Tomba Twisted Metal 1-2 Vigilante 8 1-2
skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Every time i see a PS1 topic i get mad at my self. Wish i never leant it out as never seen it since. Had grate games too. MGS1 £69,99 collectors edition in that big silver box. Resident Evil 1, Alien, FF7 and FF8, and loads of others. Since then ive said and not leant anything to any one else. :(

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#30 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts
  • Hogs of War
  • Crash Team Racing
  • Spyro series
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Resident Evil series
  • Klonoa
  • Tekken 3
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

• Hogs of War

benleslie5

That one is basically Worms but with pigs isn't it? I noticed it was PSN a while back.

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#33 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

Metal Gear Solid

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

Crash

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Vanark. It's basically Star Fox for the PSone, and it never seems to get any mention on forums for some reason.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Crash Team Racing was the bomb back in the day.

msulcs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By msulcs
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

Well these are my favorites from my childhood (one that come to mind instantly):

• Resident Evil 3
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Gran Turismo 2
  • Disney's Hercules Action Game
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    • Fighting Force
    • Tekken 3
    • Chase The Express
    • Vigilante 8
    • Rogue Trip Vacation 2012
    • Twisted Metal (2-4)
    • Dino Crisis
    • Dino Crisis 2
    • Grand theft Auto 2
    • Driver
    • V-Rally
    • Destruction Derby 2
    • Heart of Darkness
    • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    • Soul Blade
wyshouldi02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wyshouldi02
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Has anyone here played Hogs of War? That game was hilarious! Also all the Destruction Derby games were pure quality; tits out for the lads type stuff.

campbell22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 648

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By campbell22
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

Hogs of war was great game, but i prefer Worms. One of the best games what i played(and still play) Syp. filter and Driver.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Silent Hill, Resident Evil 1 & 2 and Metal Gear Solid 1 come to mind