Golden Sun on the GBA. Is it really as good as they say?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Dj-Dampleaf
Member since 2012 • 730 Posts
I have a chance to buy Golden Sun, and hear much praise about it from fans, and mixed praise from gaming sites. How does it stack up to other GBA rpgs? Like Battle Network, Final Fantasy 1,2 IV, V, and 6, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Lunar Legend, etc etc? Name some thing it adds to the gameplay and why you like it, I know there ar Golden Sun fans here I seen pictures and sigs of them all over the place. I just need a Weeeeeeeeee bit more information to know if it will be a worthy purchase.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
The Golden Sun games are quite good, if you like all those other JRPGs don't mind puzzles then you'll likely enjoy them.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#3 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I love the gameplay since it's a basically a standard turn-base RPG (battle system pretty similar to DQVIII) but with the Djinn things added in, which are like summons. And you gain skills to use in and out of battle to solve puzzles and such, good boss battles too.
AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 AlbedoSnake
Member since 2003 • 10386 Posts

I played the original to completion and really didn't like it very much at all. I never had any interest in playing the sequels. I say that as a person whose favorite genre by far is the JRPG. I know oodles of other people enjoy the series, but in my case, I just don't "see" it.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#5 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
The battle system is a lot of fun, and skills can be used outside of battle as well for puzzles, which means the puzzles are interesting too. Good boss fights, decent characters, and great music as well. However, I don't think it challenges the great SNES JRPGs like a lot of people say. I found the story to be awful with no memorable moments. I finished the first one and thought it was pretty good. Couldn't bring myself to finish the second, however.
jefferyjosephh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jefferyjosephh
Member since 2005 • 71 Posts

The two Golden Sun games on the GBA happen to by my favorite games on the system. In fact, they are near the top of my favorite RPG's ever. Now......I know that some people will argue that they are too word text heavy, or that they come across a little on the easy side, but they happen to be the RPGs that I play every single year. I've played many other RPGs that I thought once through was enough. With Golden Sun games, when I finish, they are usually back in my GBA SP or DS Lite 6 months down the road.

I love the art style, the music, the overworld is so fun to explore with each town being unique. The characters are easy to like, and the story is good enough to keep you going further. The magic and the Djinn monster collecting is what I find to be very fun as well.....it breaks up the JRPG formula for me. I also like the puzzles in the game, even if some are tedious. I've played RPG's since the earliest days of gaming. I'm in my mid-40s and the Golden Sun series is one of my favorites. If you can buy them, don't even hesitate! And.....being in my mid-30s when I first played them, it isn't about nostalgia goggles for me.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#7 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

They're really good games and pretty straight down the middle console RPGs. I liked the second much better but it's worth playing through the first because you can transfer your save over to the second game. THe graphics and music are some of the best on the GBA.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Dj-Dampleaf
Member since 2012 • 730 Posts

They're really good games and pretty straight down the middle console RPGs. I liked the second much better but it's worth playing through the first because you can transfer your save over to the second game. ]THe graphics and music are some of the best on the GBA.

logicalfrank
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Anyway, I did by them I just have to play them now. Well I brought the second one. It took forever to find the first one but it won't get past the boot screen. So I am not sure if i should play the second first since I am not familiar with the series and it could effect my judgement.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Its the greatest non-Pokemon/Battle Network series on the GBA.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Some of the best graphics and sound on GBA, as one of the others pointed out. Or rather, really good art style, IMO.

The game is... damn good. Easily one of the best on GBA. Highly recommended.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts

I didn't like it, pretty much at all, but I know I'm in the minority and I freely admit that.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

It is very good, just not in the ranks of FF6, Chrono Trigger, etc.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#13 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Golden Sun 1 = 8/10

Golden Sun 2 = 11/10

Great games in their own merit. The only thing I despise about the game is that you need a long azz password to transfer all your data from #1 to #2 in order to get all Djinn in #2. (unless you have 2 gba's with a link that is) But I always messed up on the password somehow and had to end up re entering it for it to register. I hate hate hate it with a passion. But other than that, the games are amazing if you like JRG's.

BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
I enjoyed playing Golden Sun back when it came out and I would love to get my hands on it again.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Both games are great. 1 is a good introduction to the game and it's a solid adventure. 2 capitalizes on just about every aspect and is quite a bit more ambitious and engrossing than the first one. The 2nd game is massive and both games are visually striking and entertaining.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I enjoyed GS1 but never finished it. Part of that was because I knew there was / would be a part 2 and the idea of having to play through another game just to finish it really put me off from a time investment perspective. Maybe one day..

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

They are definitely worth playing, and must-haves if you're an RPG fan. I thoroughly enjoyed all 3, although it seems to me that most people don't agree with me on the DS game, the original 2 are still fantastic games regardless.

wackoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 wackoss
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts

I didn't like it, pretty much at all, but I know I'm in the minority and I freely admit that.

homegirl2180
Add me to the minority then. I thought Golden Sun was mediocre at best- story was lame, horrible conversations made worse because it couldn't fit a lot of text on screen, character designs are very boring, battles and puzzles aren't enjoyable. And maybe the graphics were a technical feat but I thought they were very bland. This couldn't have included the same Camelot group that did the Genesis Shining Force series.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Just got this game for $7. Good deal?
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Just got this game for $7. Good deal?YoshiYogurt

Well considering its an almost 10 years old GBA game, 7 dollars seems a bit steep.

But who da hell cares? The game is incredible and well worth it even for 15-20. Good deal there the way I see it.