GGD, do you watch cutscenes when you're gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ImBananas
Member since 2009 • 1793 Posts

When I'm on a computer watching something, I'll watch it and not care about cutscenes, but when I'M playing, I wanna PLAY, not listen to some old geezer talk for three years and by the time he's done, my character's grown a full beard and his hair is all the way to the ground. If I'm going to PLAY a game, I want to PLAY it unless the cutscenes are just that good.

(edited title, when I posted this, I don't remember all that being in there)

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

You must really hate MGS then...

Anyway, I dont' mind it, but what I hate are when developers try to get rid of cutscenes and put them into the actual gameplay. Fable II was the worst for this.

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts

Anyway, I dont' mind it, but what I hate are when developers try to get rid of cutscenes and put them into the actual gameplay. Fable II was the worst for this.

Legendaryscmt
what do you mean? i never played fable 2. is that the same as half life? because the way half life handled "cutscenes" was perfect.
ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ImBananas
Member since 2009 • 1793 Posts

Legendaryscmt
I love them, and notice "...unless the cutscenes are just that good," whenever I skip a peace walker cutscene I regret it unless I've already seen it, I haven't played any other metal gear solid games where I watched all the cutscenes because I just wanna finish, but some day I might watch all of them.
SirDigby84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SirDigby84
Member since 2011 • 293 Posts
Always watch them at least on the first play through. Even playing a shooter these days you kinda need to watch all cut scenes or your just mindlessly killing things for no reason in a long corridor. When i want minless gameplay i have online where i can just jump in a game and have fun. And any rpg without cut scenes/essential dialog sections would be pointless.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
Yeah I always watch them, at least on the first play through. I like to know what's going on.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I always watch the cutscenes on the first playthrough. Of course some are good and some are really quite terrible, but I at least like to feel I've experienced whatever story the game has to offer. Otherwise you're just mindlessly shooting stuff, and too many games are mindless enough even with the cutscenes.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i give the developer the benefit of the doubt and watch them assuming that they are integral to the game. that said, i could blabber on and on about how they should be minimal in the first place but i wont.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 JediXMan
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

I watch them the first few times. I'll skip them the next few times.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Always watch them, can't stand the people who skip them. I don't understand why games and movies can't combine, at least in certain scenarios.

That's not to say we should get rid of movies without gameplay, and games without cutscenes, those would be movies and games in their purest form, but as we progress, I fail to see why we can't have many games that meld the two elements seamlessly together. As long as the cutscenes are good, and the story strong, I really have no problem with it.

Solid_Sterb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solid_Sterb
Member since 2010 • 1703 Posts

I always watch the cutscenes the first time through. On later playthroughs it all depends on whether or not I feel like watching them or not.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
I always watch cutscenes, no matter if it's the first or hundreth time I am playing a game. I also dislike being interrupted when I am watching a cutscene or listening to dialogue :P. I love cutscenes, I feel that cutscenes are the rewards for doing tasks in a game, especially games such as Gears of War. Even when I play the Metal Gear Solid games for the hundreth time, I still have to watch EVERY cutscene, even the codec ones! :P
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I watch all of them on first time playing and then I choose whether or not if it is a major cut-scene or not.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
I always watch the first time, after that usually skip them.
LEDCircus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LEDCircus
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I always watch the cutscenes on the first playthrough. Of course some are good and some are really quite terrible, but I at least like to feel I've experienced whatever story the game has to offer. Otherwise you're just mindlessly shooting stuff, and too many games are mindless enough even with the cutscenes.

Jackc8
Agreed, with the exception of that mission you have to redo 50 times. There's always one and eventually you're gonna get tired of the same cutscene.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I watch all cutscenes, they add to the story which is a big deal for me in games.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I watch all cutscenes, they add to the story which is a big deal for me in games.LustForSoul
Same here. I want to know the story. I want to know the reason I'm supposed to do things. Killing the enemy isn't enough; I want to know why they're my enemies and why they need to die.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
i just wish they'd stop getting the option to skip them. if i've already played through the game, i don't want to see them. i just wanna play.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#19 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69466 Posts
I watch the first time through but I absolutely hate with a deep unbridle passion when brain dead developers make cutscenes unskippable. I want to be able to skip cutscences all the time regardless if it is my first or hundreth play through.
lasseeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lasseeb
Member since 2010 • 1186 Posts

The Uncharted 2 cutscenes were golden :D

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
i always watch cutscenes when playing i even watch them when playing thru other times
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Yes, unless I've already played the game assuming it's not story oriented.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Yea, I watch them all the first time through a game.
SonicX_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SonicX_89
Member since 2008 • 573 Posts

I try to watch all the cutscenes in a game. I hate it when I can't pause them, or If I can't skip them during a second or third playthrough.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

If I'm interested in the story, then yes. Otherwise I tune out or walk off (if I can't skip them).

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Always watch the cutscenes especially if it's an RPG game

AleksandarTale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AleksandarTale
Member since 2007 • 2906 Posts

I always watch cutscenes, they're the part that connects the story. Playing an RPG without cutscenes is missing out on some of the best parts.

KiLKaras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 KiLKaras
Member since 2011 • 73 Posts

I never skip cutscenes on 1st playthrough, story is important to me, on the 2nd playthrough i skip some of the longer cutscenes

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
No, never. The thing that pisses me off is that you can't skip them in many games. There's even unskippable cutscenes in RACING games today. I will literally do everything else *except* watch the cutscene. I will go take the trash out and come back hoping it's over. This industry is seriously going down the toilet.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
First time through the answer would be yes. Not so much for any times after that.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I always do, unless it's a repetetive mini-cutscene like the old woman in The Witcher that bothers you in Shani's house. Me and my friend played RDR a year or so ago and he skipped all the cut scenes, very irritating, I enjoy Rockstar cut scenes more than their gameplay.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Most of the time yes.
Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Razor-Lazor
Member since 2009 • 12763 Posts
I always watch cutscenes.
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I'm really big into the story of the game, even if crappy so I have to watch them all, even on consecutive playthroughs. Out of the numerous times I've played games like MGS and whatnot I always watch them, regardless.

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
of course, unless I've seen it already
disneyanime91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 disneyanime91
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts

Yep, I always enjoyed watching cutscenes. They're great for just sitting back and enjoying. Also appreciate if there is a theater option in any game- there are times when I just want to watch cutscenes and not play the game at all :DI always have a drink and popcorn ready at hand whenever I play games for this reason.

Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

Cutscenes are always been the highlights of games for me. I remember completing the full Warcraft3 campaign just to see what awaited me at the end... and i still love the orc cutscene to this day.

MGS4 was a blast, i spent hours watching the cutscenes and i loved every moment of it, never getting bored. I do expect them to be High quality else i might get bored, but it doesn't take much for me to love them. Helps me get immersed into the game and really pushes me forward so i can watch another :P

ChunkyTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ChunkyTurtles
Member since 2011 • 32 Posts
I watch everything the first time a play through a game, every time after that though, I skip it, unless it was a **** cut scene.
pencru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 pencru
Member since 2009 • 1779 Posts

It depends on whether the cutscene starts off interesting. Normally I hate the opening cutscene because it's also usually the most boring, but I do it in hopes of understanding the whole story better.

Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts

on first playthroughs, yes. Every other time, no.

I really feel sorry for people who don't pay attention to stories of games, even if they are crappy story lines. How the **** can you play those games and not watch cutscenes to understand the story. My friend does this, and ends up not knowing crap all about the game he just played. Mass effect 1+2 are prime examples. He played them both, but has no idea about anything in the game, other than "a robot ship is trying to wipe out the galaxy".

I'm sorry to say, but its a bane to games. Lets just make a 4hr single player experince, thats more shallow than your old uncle, sitting in a kiddy pool. We will then focus our time on a crappy MP component.....

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

Always watch the cutscenes especially if it's an RPG game

riou7

Took the words out my mouth.

Zeller--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44 Zeller--
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

Yeah I do. As long as it it's short (i.e1 min)

The_saint1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 The_saint1976
Member since 2003 • 258 Posts

Absolutely, cutscenes are a must for me, I need to know why I'm playing the game. I'm so bad, that I'll even wait at the title screen just to see if one eventually pops up. It will usually just be a demo of the game, but I won't even skip that so I can get a basic understanding of what the game is about to offer.