Germany trying to ban development of violent video games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Stolen from Kotaku:

Germany's latest demagogue tantrum against "killerspiele" - violent video games - could be shrugged off as hot air, except for the fact it would ban even their development. So Germany-based Crytek would have to move.

The interior ministers of Germany's 16 states have unanimously asked the German legislature to ban outright the distribution, sale, and development of violent video games. Such games have been a big part of the national conversation since a 17-year-old went on a gun rampage March 11, killing 15. Naturally, the shooter owned a shooter - Crytek's Far Cry 2 - and playing it for two hours before the killings was enough to link games to the tragedy.

The demand is definitely politically timed - the interior heads want it ASAP, before German elections Sept. 27. Again, this is (snicker) a Far Cry from legislation introduced to parliament, but it was enough to fire up German readers who sent it to us, who already point to the country's extremely strict youth protection laws, and are generally disgusted by lawmakers' tendency to blame technologies they don't understand.

I know this doesn't really affect most of us (save for the potential delay and/or cancellation of Crysis 2) but it's still really crazy that such an extreme bill has so much support. I guess this is one more gaming-related reason why I'm glad I don't live in Germany (the others being their unofficial bans of certain games and the stipulation that shooting games not feature human enemies). That said, I could see this happening in America. Granted it wouldn't succeed, but it wouldn't necessarily surprise me to see something like this get proposed in a state legislature.

hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

Germany trying to ruin the world again.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

hedden93
I want to say something like that, but just for the lulz, it's usually the people in charge and their hidden agendas, some and maybe most people are probably against things like this, or at least they should be....
Naruto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Naruto
Member since 2002 • 8673 Posts
This all comes down to the fact that it is easier to blame something most voters are unfamiliar of for society's problems than to make actual changes to society.
GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GulliverJr
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts

I want to play the optimistic role and say that our long running legacy of democracy in this country means that something like this will not happen in America. I am not saying that legislative roadblocks to gaming will not erupt in the years ahead, but I do not think that it will be in this extreme. We are likely one or two more election cycles away from a president who has played games sometime in his or her life, even if it was as a young adult. There are already members of Congress who were gamers in their youth.

OK, and I know this theory is based on people having common sense, but hopefully someone will realize that there have been these gun-oriented killing sprees before games ever came onto the market. Not that any of our politicians would ever pick up on that before they launched some idiotic judicial attempt to keep us all fom having our fun.

- Vr/G.

tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
This all comes down to the fact that it is easier to blame something most voters are unfamiliar of for society's problems than to make actual changes to society. Naruto
Couldn't have said it better myself.
tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
I wonder what they would do if games where banned, and there were still killing sprees? What would they blame next?
Iceman8012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Iceman8012
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts
Good thing he didn't have sex before he went on the rampage. They might have tried to ban that too.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I'm not surprised, Gemany is very strict when it comes to cencorship. Years back I heard that the only way you could get games like S.W.A.T. 3, Soldiers of Furtune and such were in the backroom of some Videogame retail stores because it was illegal to have them displayed in the store. If that is true or not I'm unsure of. In any case, German developers will have to outsource the country in that case inorder to have the freedom to create what they want when it comes to Videogames.
solidsnake2050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 solidsnake2050
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts
Oh Germany, why do you do this to us? First you give us brew-er- Oktober Fest, yet now you wish to take away violent video games. What happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions and not blaming objects? German gamers, take your stand against any and every politician who wishes to do this. Remind them that government is meant to help the people, not win elections.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

Wow, germany removed the usual machine slots on Pokemon Platinum, i`m not surprised that their leaders are coming up with that.

Now what next? They will try to ban people who play violent games? If you get caught playing one, you will be put in jail or sent to a asylum as a risk to develop violence tendencies and murdering intent? O_o

I blame the idiots that went on killing sprees and put the blame on the games, not the games...

hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

[QUOTE="hedden93"]

HessenKnight

Uncalled for. I'm German, and I'm against this. It's our idiot Chacellor, blame her.

dudeim German too. Its just a joke.

RJ120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RJ120
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="HessenKnight"]

[QUOTE="hedden93"]

hedden93

Uncalled for. I'm German, and I'm against this. It's our idiot Chacellor, blame her.

dudeim German too. Its just a joke.

Germany already messed up the world with Hitler no surprise they are doing it again...

RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#18 RandolphScott
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts
I wonder what they would do if games where banned, and there were still killing sprees? What would they blame next?tsduv21
Elvis? Comic books? Or maybe blame incompetent politicians that do absolutely nothing worthwhile that stay in power by appealing to equally incompetent voters? Nah, they'll go with Elvis.