Generally, why are there less cheat codes in video games these days?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cheatermaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cheatermaster
Member since 2004 • 2164 Posts

Can't help but notice that almost every video games have almost no cheat codes. Not even some cheat device like Gameshark or Game Genie or Action Replay and so forth. Why is it that these days, video games seem to have less cheating compared to some or most of the older games? Okay, some people keep saying that cheating in video games "ruins the experience" and makes games way too easy. But I always use them just for fun (not to mention I've played the same games multiple times I just needed to do something for fun), and one rule I never do when cheating in video games is that I would never cheat on multiplayer. I hate the idea of ruining other players fun after all.

So why is it that video games have less cheating these days? At this point in our lives, it's like cheating in video games is officially dead. Maybe it's because game developers like Nintendo, Square Enix, Capcom and so on hate cheating. Or maybe cheating in video games is considered to be "wrong" because they ruin the experience and make games way too easy. I wouldn't be surprise if they permanetly get rid of cheating in video games for good in the next year or two.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Don't know why. It's disappointing.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

Multiplayer and dlc replaced them. Cheat devices rely on loopholes in the consoles' security, which is much tighter than in the last gen.

If you want to cheat, some games just need a save/hex editor, or DIY hardware mods, which are risky.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
a lot of unlockables are getting monotized through microtransactions and dlc.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

a lot of unlockables are getting monotized through microtransactions and dlc.LoG-Sacrament

This. Cheat codes are now known as 'pre order bonuses'.

Merced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Merced
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I think the reason is a much more basic issue. Cheat codes are often similar to easter eggs. They are often put there by the game's designer in order to have some fun with. In the old days games where developed by small teams who where often their own bosses or at least had a large say in what is and what is not done so they could add things like easter eggs and cheat codes whenever they liked. Today the game industry is just that - an industry. Games are now products that need to meet dead lines all the time with huge teams and monetary investments so the actual designers have little influence or simply don't have the time to think about cheat codes. Often they don't even have the time to fix the bugs still in a game prior to release. Of course sometimes they do. But I think most of the time they simply can't or don't have the time to. Oh well yes and aren't allowed to because the publishers want to make money by selling the extra gold you would have gotten by cheating.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

Multiplayer and dlc replaced them. Cheat devices rely on loopholes in the consoles' security, which is much tighter than in the last gen.

If you want to cheat, some games just need a save/hex editor, or DIY hardware mods, which are risky.

6_Dead_360s
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I think the reason is a much more basic issue...

...They are often put there by the game's designer in order to have some fun with...

...Games are now products that need to meet dead lines all the time with huge teams and monetary investments so the actual designers have little influence or simply don't have the time to think about cheat codes. Merced

I agree wholeheartedly.

I also believe this is the product of games becoming more and more realistic. You lose the fantasy elements, like cheat codes.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Resistance 3 does.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

Can't help but notice that almost every video games have almost no cheat codes. Not even some cheat device like Gameshark or Game Genie or Action Replay and so forth. Why is it that these days, video games seem to have less cheating compared to some or most of the older games? Okay, some people keep saying that cheating in video games "ruins the experience" and makes games way too easy. But I always use them just for fun (not to mention I've played the same games multiple times I just needed to do something for fun), and one rule I never do when cheating in video games is that I would never cheat on multiplayer. I hate the idea of ruining other players fun after all.

So why is it that video games have less cheating these days? At this point in our lives, it's like cheating in video games is officially dead. Maybe it's because game developers like Nintendo, Square Enix, Capcom and so on hate cheating. Or maybe cheating in video games is considered to be "wrong" because they ruin the experience and make games way too easy. I wouldn't be surprise if they permanetly get rid of cheating in video games for good in the next year or two.

cheatermaster

Aw come on man. You know why. Hard games made an economy for gamesharks. Look at what we got now. Only pc games with the dev console ~ will give you cheats.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#11 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

DLC seems to have replaced it. It's sad, too :(

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

BuryMe
Some have even gotten as far as to release cheat codes as DLC.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#13 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

lancea34

Seriously? That's insane :evil:

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lancea34

[QUOTE="lancea34"][QUOTE="BuryMe"]

BuryMe

Capcom released cheat codes as DLC for Dead Rising 2: Off the Record. I will probably never buy another Capcom game ever again.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
There are still Cheatcodes in games, they just call them RPG Elements now, atleast thats what I call it. Example: Mass Effect
Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Big Head mode isnt, and was never, funny.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Big Head mode isnt, and was never, funny.

Bardock47
Tread Carefully
TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#18 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

Games of today try to deliver a cinematic experience and as a result, they become more like movies rather than games. That's my problem with a lot of games today. Instead of embracing the video game culture derived through decades of arcade mayhem, unlockables, word-of-mouth secrets, games have now shifted toward more movie-esque experiences. 

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

Because gamers are maning the F*&* up!

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts
a lot of games still have cheat codes in them they're called DLC
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#21 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
They want money for the cheat codes. It's that simple. Same with alternate costumes that people managed to get finishing the game on harder difficulties.
luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts

Who needs cheat codes? Most of today's video games are wayy too easy. And they've become very competitive. I can see how competitive games would try their very best to exclude cheat codes as much as possible. Even in single player

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="lancea34"] Some have even gotten as far as to release cheat codes as DLC.lancea34

Capcom released cheat codes as DLC for Dead Rising 2: Off the Record. I will probably never buy another Capcom game ever again.

And they want to take their DLC practices to even newer "heights", I truly shudder at the thought of that.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Loved the cheats in Mercenaries, nothing like going on a psycho rampage with a MOAB launching pistol.
Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
I am glad that there are no more cheat codes in games anymore. I do not find using cheat codes to be fun.
lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lancea34
I am glad that there are no more cheat codes in games anymore. I do not find using cheat codes to be fun. Ravenous_Joker
Cheat codes were fun to use to fool around with the games once you finished it. The least they could keep is the classic Big Head cheat. While it wasn't really a cheat it was fun to use.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

cheatermaster
Because today we use something called trainers. If your talking about consoles, its probably because the games have become so easy that developer doesn't see the need for them.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#28 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravenous_Joker"]I am glad that there are no more cheat codes in games anymore. I do not find using cheat codes to be fun. lancea34
Cheat codes were fun to use to fool around with the games once you finished it. The least they could keep is the classic Big Head cheat. While it wasn't really a cheat it was fun to use.

Ya, the big cheat code in Turok 1 for 64 was awesome. I had that sh!t memorized lol.