Gaming is getting depressing :(

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts

Lately I've been gettingpretty depressed when gaming, I just don't have the same enthusiasm I used to have.

I find I'm buying more and more games, constantly searching for the next Silent Hill 2, Symphony of the Night, Morrowind, Street Fighter 2 etc. only to be constantly dissapointed (for good reason as they were masterpieces). It seems like this gen therehave been no true classics that I will be playing 10years down the road like I do with previous gen games.I sold my 360 after being let down time and time again, the Wii I have now just for metroid/zelda.

Call me crazy, but the closer games get to realism, the less and less enjoyable they are becoming. I don't understand why I enjoyed Goldeneye for the N64, but don't enjoy Modern Warfare 2. This is why I'm getting depressed, things are technically getting better, but I think I'm losingmy childhood enthusiasm.

Strangely, the Wii doesn't have much that floats my boat, so I'm always going back to previous gens to enjoy stuff. The only reason I keep buying next gen consoles is to continue the series that I've grown up with, Zelda, Castlevania, Elder Scrolls, etc. I've been happy with them, but it's hard not to want some variety.

Heavy Rain and Alan Wake look like games I'd enjoy, too bad they're both exclusives. Can't say if Alan Wake will turn out much better than Silent Hill: Homecoming though in terms of lasting appeal, wasn't enough to keep my 360 for lol. All my favourite franchises are dying.

I remember the days when I'd think about Warcraft, Starcraft etc. even when I wasn't playing games, just doesn't happen anymore haha

Ah well, if next gen goes like this I'll probably just stick to the oldies and my gaming will come to a trickle :( Save some money at least :\

I know this may seem like blog material, but I don't blog. Just seeing if anyone else is going through what I am, maybe its just an age thing, I always figured I'd be playing games forever.

savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
I disagree. I'm sure a couple of games this gen will be considered classics. We just have to wait.
txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 txr302
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

I have my doubts too. After buying my PS3 I was totally bored, it was collecting dust and just wasn't interested. You need to find the right games, and it works as I've found a few games I wouldn't look at, and turns out to be great games. One game I cannot wait is 3D Dot Game Heroes. Now that is gonna be one nostalgia ride :)

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
I blame online gaming for this, always have done. Company's seems to care more about creating some half-asses multi-player, instead of a great single player story, don't get me wrong online gaming is fun but I personally buy games for the single player, and when that single player turns out to be 6 hours of boredom because they focused on Multi-player, well I feel ripped off, that is why I find I play my old consoles a lot and also my Hand-held consoles. as they all have some outstanding single-player games, which this gen really lacks.
Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jordo321

I blame online gaming for this, always have done. Company's seems to care more about creating some half-asses multi-player, instead of a great single player story, don't get me wrong online gaming is fun but I personally buy games for the single player, and when that single player turns out to be 6 hours of boredom because they focused on Multi-player, well I feel ripped off, that is why I find I play my old consoles a lot and also my Hand-held consoles. as they all have some outstanding single-player games, which this gen really lacks.spike6958

I totally agree with this. The PS3 and 360 are the main culprits of this, so many games have single player campaigns lasting 5 hours. This may not be bad for people that enjoy multiplayer, not everyone owns a PC to enjoy quality multiplayer, but those who buy a game for single player are getting boned.

EDIT: just to add, yes, I know there are games that are soley singleplayer, and that's great. Unfortunately there's not many classics like I've been dying for, I remember the hype over Prototype etc., I almost completely forgot about that game until now lol

I love multiplayer and all, but only the most competitive/balanced games get my attention, like Starcraft, Street Fighter, and games that don't even have single player due to the fact that tons of care have been put into them.

I've been playing my DS more than I did my 360 when I had it, because the games are more alike to snes etc. and have some older ports of classics. It's very annoying nowadays to have to pay 69.99 for a 360 game which probably won't even last more than a month or two.

stuttermouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stuttermouth
Member since 2005 • 316 Posts

This is very true. I will always view the older games such as N64 as even better than games nowadays.

I still have fun though but i can't justify paying so much for a game to last only a couple of weeks.

Also i have a question. With the Wii, Would i be able to download ANY nintendo game ever made and play them on the Wii?

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#7 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I find that I'm immensely enjoying this gaming generation. We won't really know what games are classics until several years from now.

Mr_Spotswood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mr_Spotswood
Member since 2005 • 2525 Posts

I agree as well. I used to just play old PS2 games on my PS3 instead of actual PS3 games. I just found them to be longer, more creative and more fun in general. There are a few exceptions, though, mainly Oblivion, which I still play more than any other game I own, really. It's extremely long and I wish more RPG's that came out were as free-roaming as this. Even Dragon Age is pretty damn linear..

SelectiveCynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SelectiveCynic
Member since 2010 • 65 Posts
I wouldn't say it's any different, I say gaming has been engaging as it ever was. It's probably because you're wearing out on gaming or a case of excessive nostalgia.
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Call me crazy, but the closer games get to realism, the less and less enjoyable they are becoming. .

Jordo321

You're not crazy - because it's true.

Super Mario Bros 3 used to be what people considered fun. Today, most games are murder simulators, in realistic worlds filled with unlikeable characters in an atmosphere of despair. Not a lot of fun there. Maybe that's one of the reasons the Wii is so popular.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44627 Posts
Hmm, well that's unfotunate for you. Me, I'm enjoying gaming now more then ever.
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#13 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

I agree.. The next game on my list is 'Fear'.. But once that and my other three unfinished titles are complete; I'm buying some more original XBOX titles thatescaped my radar; then I'm getting stuck into them for a while..

Max Payne; Dead To Rights; Thief all escaped my attention.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Lately I've been gettingpretty depressed when gaming, I just don't have the same enthusiasm I used to have.

I find I'm buying more and more games, constantly searching for the next Silent Hill 2, Symphony of the Night, Morrowind, Street Fighter 2 etc. only to be constantly dissapointed (for good reason as they were masterpieces). It seems like this gen therehave been no true classics that I will be playing 10years down the road like I do with previous gen games.I sold my 360 after being let down time and time again, the Wii I have now just for metroid/zelda.

Call me crazy, but the closer games get to realism, the less and less enjoyable they are becoming. I don't understand why I enjoyed Goldeneye for the N64, but don't enjoy Modern Warfare 2. This is why I'm getting depressed, things are technically getting better, but I think I'm losingmy childhood enthusiasm.

Strangely, the Wii doesn't have much that floats my boat, so I'm always going back to previous gens to enjoy stuff. The only reason I keep buying next gen consoles is to continue the series that I've grown up with, Zelda, Castlevania, Elder Scrolls, etc. I've been happy with them, but it's hard not to want some variety.

Heavy Rain and Alan Wake look like games I'd enjoy, too bad they're both exclusives. Can't say if Alan Wake will turn out much better than Silent Hill: Homecoming though in terms of lasting appeal, wasn't enough to keep my 360 for lol. All my favourite franchises are dying.

I remember the days when I'd think about Warcraft, Starcraft etc. even when I wasn't playing games, just doesn't happen anymore haha

Ah well, if next gen goes like this I'll probably just stick to the oldies and my gaming will come to a trickle :( Save some money at least :\

I know this may seem like blog material, but I don't blog. Just seeing if anyone else is going through what I am, maybe its just an age thing, I always figured I'd be playing games forever.

Jordo321

I hear ya, but it isn't necessarily the games on all occasions. Age will do that to you. As you get older you recognize what makes a good game. While this doesn't mean that all games out at the moment are bad, but your perception of them gears towards thinking about how the play mechanics work, the graphics, audio, as opposed to completely getting engulfed in the games world, like when you were younger. That is where nostalgia factors in.

However, I do agree that, in part, the games of today don't carry the same level of creativity. Reality and the technicality of the graphics is stressed way too much these days, imo. I wonder when someone will create the next "mushroom kingdom."

CHEATSman115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 CHEATSman115
Member since 2009 • 348 Posts
I disagree. I'm sure a couple of games this gen will be considered classics. We just have to wait. savetehhaloz
what games do YOU think will become classics? hmmmmmmmmmm?
CHEATSman115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 CHEATSman115
Member since 2009 • 348 Posts

I find that I'm immensely enjoying this gaming generation. We won't really know what games are classics until several years from now.

MathMattS
several years from now i am going to look up here on GS and let you tell me what games have become classics.
ResEv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ResEv
Member since 2002 • 205 Posts

I can definitely feel where you're coming from. There was a point a few years ago when there wasn't a single game that I was interested in, and I found myself going back and replaying a lot of the games I owned over just because there was nothing new for me. And at that point I felt as if gaming would be over for me. Maybe right now there aren't any games on the market for you, but if you're a hardcore gamer then I'm sure they'll be some stuff for you to get into in the future... especially with the natal and move right the corner. Just give it a little time.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
To the TC it appears you are just getting older and growing out of the gaming thing. Some people stay attached to gaming well into adulthood and others grow out of that phase. Im sorry to hear you no longer like the new releases. I have the opposite experience. My enjoyment has grown as games become more realistic, story lines become more cinematic, and RPGs become more grand and polished. This has been my favorite gen.

You probably don't like the new mainstream titles. Try some of the less marketed games. You probably might find some DS games that will have you remembering some of your old school favs.
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
[QUOTE="MathMattS"]

CHEATSman115
several years from now i am going to look up here on GS and let you tell me what games have become classics.

They'll list some games, and you'll just say they aren't classics by your standards and they are wrong, so what's the point of even trying? I enjoy gaming now more than ever before. The older games I can get on PSN, (PSone classics) and The Virtual Console are good for quick nostalgia trips, but gaming has improved from there. As great as games like Super Mario World were, Super Mario Galaxy is much better. That will be one of my classics, just so you know.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

[QUOTE="savetehhaloz"]I disagree. I'm sure a couple of games this gen will be considered classics. We just have to wait. CHEATSman115

Gears of war, bioshock, heavy rain, mass effect 1&2, oblivion, metal gear solid 3, portal, halo 3, fallout 3, dead space, littlebigplanet, demon souls, dragon age origins, kill zone 2, uncharted 2, no more heros, super mario galaxy, super smash bros., okami, braid, the world ends with you, scribblenauts, god of war 3.

Im sure i missed a couple future classics. Im also sure that not every game i mentioned are bonafide classics but thats a very strong lineup.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="CHEATSman115"][QUOTE="savetehhaloz"]I disagree. I'm sure a couple of games this gen will be considered classics. We just have to wait. Diablo-B

Gears of war, bioshock, heavy rain, mass effect 1&2, oblivion, metal gear solid 3, portal, halo 3, fallout 3, dead space, littlebigplanet, demon souls, dragon age origins, kill zone 2, uncharted 2, no more heros, super mario galaxy, super smash bros., okami, braid, the world ends with you, scribblenauts, god of war 3.

Im sure i missed a couple future classics. Im also sure that not every game i mentioned are bonafide classics but thats a very strong lineup.

Most of those games have bugs dealing with the play mechanics. With the exception of Halo, Mario Galaxy, and Smash Bros, all those other games will be improved upon in terms of smoothing out the controls. Once that happens they will feel dated.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Gaming is still fine for me. *shrugs*

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one of a few games im genuinely excited for. That game will be a masterpiece just like its predecessor.

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jordo321

[QUOTE="savetehhaloz"]I disagree. I'm sure a couple of games this gen will be considered classics. We just have to wait. CHEATSman115
what games do YOU think will become classics? hmmmmmmmmmmGears of war, bioshock, heavy rain, mass effect 1&2, oblivion, metal gear solid 3, portal, halo 3, fallout 3, dead space, littlebigplanet, demon souls, dragon age origins, kill zone 2, uncharted 2, no more heros, super mario galaxy, super smash bros., okami, braid, the world ends with you, scribblenauts, god of war 3.

I don't know how many of those would be classics (not trying to bash you or anything, just saying). Some good games there, but nothing that jumped out and will remain in our hearts forever.

Tons of people including myself didn't like Bioshock despite its good reviews, the intro was an amazing experience, but just got less and less interesting the longer you played (obviously this is all opinion, so I'll speak only for myself and not for anyone else to avoid opinion wars).

Okami is probably a classic, but that was a PS2 game, so last gen.

I just started DA: O today on the PC and am actually impressed for once this gen. Gives me the feeling of an epic LOTR movie type vibe, can't put my finger on it yet, but I like it 20 times more than Mass Effect.

Mass Effect's environments sort of ruined what it had going for it. Didn't match KOTOR's greatness for its time. I havent bothered with the second, or the second Bioshock either because I was super dissapointed after all the hype these games received. I didn't even hype myself up for them, but after getting 9/10 etc I found I'd wasted my money for trusting those opinions.

I doubt Halo 3 will be a classic, as Halo 1/2 aren't going to get played by most again. It's one of those games you replace the older one just for the multiplayer and move on once the next comes out since the single player was never anything special.

Just to cut this down..

Portal, maybe Fallout 3/Oblivion will probably be classics, but I doubt Braid, Dead Space, No More Heroes (I own both games and LOVE them, don't think there's enough of a fanbase for it to be considered a classic though 5 years down the road).

I can't speak for MGS4, LBP, DS, Uncharted or Killzone though as I haven't played them through.

Just my 2cents. There have been good games, but a classic for me is something that I will playthrough more than once, and will be one of those games where years down the road I'll have nostalgic memories and pull it off the shelf to play once more

edit: quote reply messed up

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SteveTabernacle

I don't know how many of those would be classics (not trying to bash you or anything, just saying). Some good games there, but nothing that jumped out and will remain in our hearts foreverJordo321

More accurate to say nothing that will remain in your heart. Our hearts are not one. Gamers do not speak with one voice, nor do they have one collective hive mind on basic quality of a game, or what is a classic and what is not. We are millions of individuals.

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jordo321

[QUOTE="Jordo321"]I don't know how many of those would be classics (not trying to bash you or anything, just saying). Some good games there, but nothing that jumped out and will remain in our hearts foreverSteveTabernacle

More accurate to say nothing that will remain in your heart. Our hearts are not one. Gamers do not speak with one voice, nor do they have one collective hive mind on basic quality of a game, or what is a classic and what is not. We are millions of individuals.

Thats why if you read below I said it was all based on my opinion, and only mine

edit: just trying to point this out before people start riding the hate train without reading posts through lol

SIXAXISUCCESS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SIXAXISUCCESS
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Games have gotten chaotic in online play. games filled with glitches really can be annoying. as the years pass by my vision is not what it used to be so fast action online play can make me want to pull my hair out.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]

[QUOTE="CHEATSman115"] what games do YOU think will become classics? hmmmmmmmmmm?Heirren

Most of those games have bugs dealing with the play mechanics. With the exception of Halo, Mario Galaxy, and Smash Bros, all those other games will be improved upon in terms of smoothing out the controls. Once that happens they will feel dated.

That hasn't stopped FF7, Xenogears, Golden Eye 007, and Mario Kart from becoming classics.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Eh, I still love it. The problem is though you are going after main stream titles. Looking back at it, as I kid I never read reviews, while I made some bad purchases, you never had the influence of what people thought. You just got to enjoy the game for what it was. I find the not mainstream titles a lot more enjoyable than what people. I'm loving End of Eternity and Record of Argrest War, both non main stream RPG's. Find games you like they are still out there you are just looking in the wrong places.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

I'm pretty sure that I will never forget Super Mario Galaxy and Mother 3. What spectacular imagination!

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#33 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Well... I'm loving games.. always will :D

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Can name a a lot of games been great this gen..Mass effect 1 an 2, bioshock one an 2, red dead, gears 1 an 2,star wars unleash an ghostbusters even though short, they had fun game-play, fallout 3, dragon age , just cause 2 , marvel ultimate alliance 2 was fun but short, there are many more im missing..How ever im not a cod fan at one time yes not now..Nor am no longer a halo fan..I think these to franchises need to die a fast death..An the publishers need ot make new ips..Show there talents on other ips..

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="Jordo321"]

Call me crazy, but the closer games get to realism, the less and less enjoyable they are becoming. .

Born_Lucky

Super Mario Bros 3 used to be what people considered fun. Today, most games are murder simulators, in realistic worlds filled with unlikeable characters in an atmosphere of despair. Not a lot of fun there. Maybe that's one of the reasons the Wii is so popular.

Anyone who claims that games suffer from a surfeit of realism either lives in an alternate universe (perhaps in their universe 'The Matrix' won best documentary) or believes any game where obese men don't ride baby dinosaurs through a colorful land populated by walking mushrooms is realistic.
Sammi_Costello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sammi_Costello
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts
Lately I've been gettingpretty depressed when gaming, I just don't have the same enthusiasm I used to have.I find I'm buying more and more games, constantly searching for the next Silent Hill 2, Symphony of the Night, Morrowind, Street Fighter 2 etc. only to be constantly dissapointed (for good reason as they were masterpieces).Jordo321
Well, you can't really expect every game to be as intense as Silent Hill 2, or as fun as SF2, or as deep as Morrowind, or as... Night...ish as Symphony of the Night (never played that myself). Most of the time, as far as games go, I'm more than happy to settle for "good", and be utterly thrilled when "amazing" comes along.

It seems like this gen therehave been no true classics that I will be playing 10years down the road like I do with previous gen games.I sold my 360 after being let down time and time again, the Wii I have now just for metroid/zelda.

I disagree. There have been classics, they're just not single player classics. They're classics in the sense that their online multiplayer modes are well supported and balanced, and I agree, you won't be playing those games 10 years from now, but that doesn't mean they aren't classics; it means that the servers are going to be switched off. Look at Halo 2. Hell, you want an example of a modern classic? Arkham Asylum.

Call me crazy, but the closer games get to realism, the less and less enjoyable they are becoming. I don't understand why I enjoyed Goldeneye for the N64, but don't enjoy Modern Warfare 2.

+ freakin' 1. Back when graphics looked like Legos, games had to stand up on their gameplay mechanics, not how pretty they were, or how much online content they had. Nowadays, games generally rely on pretty graphics and a strong online mode to cover up the fact that they're just run-of-the-mill games with nothing to really make them stand out. The reason you don't enjoy Modern Warfare 2, by the way, is because it's a horrible game, despite what reviews say. It's a short single player game with very little depth, coupled with a frustrating online experience that isn't properly balanced, and when you look at it like that, it's no wonder you didn't enjoy it. Modern Warfare 1 was a much MUCH better game, all told.

This is why I'm getting depressed, things are technically getting better, but I think I'm losingmy childhood enthusiasm.

It's a fair point. I don't play games because I want a realistic war experience. If I wanted that, I'd join the army, and go to war. I play games because I want to escape to another world. I want to explore new places, have different experiences, see new and exciting things all without leaving my living room. The Metroid Prime games will always hold a special place in my heart, because LOOK AT THEM. There was an entire planet there. Something that felt like it would continue on without you actually being there. Now we have games like Halo 3, with cookie cutter levels and standard (and nothing more) gameplay.

Strangely, the Wii doesn't have much that floats my boat, so I'm always going back to previous gens to enjoy stuff.

The Wii is more for the casual, fratboy crowd. I was unimpressed with it as well. It's not an age thing, as you stated; at least, I don't think it is. It's about the oversaturation of FPS games, and realistic shooters out there. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Battfield: Bad Company 2 as much as the next guy, but there was always the niggling thought in the back of my head going, "Ok, they've done it once. They can't really do it again." And I personally don't think they should. Realism is a nice change of pace, but it stops being a nice change of pace, and starts being boring when 4 out of every 5 games are trying to do the same thing. Atmosphere and immersion will always play a bigger role than realism in games, though, so I feel it's important for me to point out that I won't hate a game just because "it's realistic". Like I said, I enjoyed Battlefield: BC 2. I also enjoyed Homecoming and Dead Space, because they introduced me to a new world. A place that wasn't entirely realistic and a place that had its own surprises; it's own personality and it's own FEEL. I, much like you, Jordo, wish that games would go back to wowing me. I want games to take me to a new planet, or an alternate dimension; I want them to take me into the far-flung future, or back into an alternate past. I want games to take me into worlds inspired by books, poems, paintings, movies, myths and all manner of other things*. And I don't just want FPS games, either. I want stealth games, where I don't have to kill a single target. I want platform games. I want third person free-running games (because FP free running doesn't work all that well, sorry Mirror's Edge). Well... That turned into more of a rant than I expected, but I got on a roll there. Oh, and, Hi everyone! *Yes, I know games like this exist, but there could be so much more out there than there already is.
Sammi_Costello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sammi_Costello
[QUOTE="Born_Lucky"]

[QUOTE="Jordo321"]

CarnageHeart

Anyone who claims that games suffer from a surfeit of realism either lives in an alternate universe (perhaps in their universe 'The Matrix' won best documentary) or believes any game where obese men don't ride baby dinosaurs through a colorful land populated by walking mushrooms is realistic.

Just because there's a list of games out there that aren't realistic doesn't mean that there isn't also a list of games out there that ARE realistic. There are a lot of realistic games out there, whether you want to admit it or not. As a side note, a massive ad hominem doesn't make your argument any more compelling or right.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Jordo321"]

Heirren

I hear ya, but it isn't necessarily the games on all occasions. Age will do that to you. As you get older you recognize what makes a good game. While this doesn't mean that all games out at the moment are bad, but your perception of them gears towards thinking about how the play mechanics work, the graphics, audio, as opposed to completely getting engulfed in the games world, like when you were younger. That is where nostalgia factors in.

However, I do agree that, in part, the games of today don't carry the same level of creativity. Reality and the technicality of the graphics is stressed way too much these days, imo. I wonder when someone will create the next "mushroom kingdom."

What's you are describing is being burned out, not the effects of age. I've been gaming for 32 years and enjoy games more than ever (sadly, I have less time to play them than i did when I was a kid). The claim that there is less creativity than before just isn't true. The fact the audience for the dominant console this gen is supported by two groups who eschew innovation (core gamers who only care about a tiny handful of franchises and casual gamers who want nothing more than minigame collections) is problematic, but the level of diversity is higher than ever because of the efforts of most of the rest of the industry and the fact that 'the rest of the industry' includes a lot more people on console than it used to. Many formerly PC focused developers are now focusing on consoles and indie games have hit consoles in a big way. For the first time on consoles, even user created content is becoming important. LBP owes much of its extremely long legs to the fact that its community is so enthusiastic about and good at making levels and given the flexibility of LBP2, things are going to get really crazy.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="Sammi_Costello"] Just because there's a list of games out there that aren't realistic doesn't mean that there isn't also a list of games out there that ARE realistic. There are a lot of realistic games out there, whether you want to admit it or not. As a side note, a massive ad hominem doesn't make your argument any more compelling or right.

Really? Name them.
Sammi_Costello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sammi_Costello
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="Sammi_Costello"] Just because there's a list of games out there that aren't realistic doesn't mean that there isn't also a list of games out there that ARE realistic. There are a lot of realistic games out there, whether you want to admit it or not. As a side note, a massive ad hominem doesn't make your argument any more compelling or right.

Really? Name them.

Well, there's: Modern Warfare Modern Warfare 2 Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Bad Company 2 And that's just games that I've played recently. You can throw a fair amount of the WW2 games into that mix as well. And if we move away from the FPS genre, we see a few other realistic games, like the Skate series and Splinter Cell Conviction (to a point). GTA 4 has a fair amount of realism as well, and by extension, all of its expansion packs. That's a fairly big list, for something I thought about for 5 minutes.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="Sammi_Costello"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="Sammi_Costello"] Just because there's a list of games out there that aren't realistic doesn't mean that there isn't also a list of games out there that ARE realistic. There are a lot of realistic games out there, whether you want to admit it or not. As a side note, a massive ad hominem doesn't make your argument any more compelling or right.

Really? Name them.

Well, there's: Modern Warfare Modern Warfare 2 Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Bad Company 2 And that's just games that I've played recently. You can throw a fair amount of the WW2 games into that mix as well. And if we move away from the FPS genre, we see a few other realistic games, like the Skate series and Splinter Cell Conviction (to a point). GTA 4 has a fair amount of realism as well, and by extension, all of its expansion packs. That's a fairly big list, for something I thought about for 5 minutes.

Modern Warfare 2's ridiculous plotline (which would embarass the writers of Invasion USA), infinitely respawning enemies and magically healing soldiers are pretty far from realisitic. Similar (though not exactly the same criticisms) can be leveled at MW1 and BC2. All of the stuff I mentioned isn't necessarily horrible from a game design perspective (well, I dislike infinite respawns, but many don't have a problem with it) but its all far from realism. There's nothing realistic about GTA4 aside from maybe the vehicle physics. The over the top characters, the light hand of the law and the fact one can heal shotgun blasts to the chest with fast food puts its pretty far reality. And Splinter Cell Conviction is just as action packed and just as realistic as a Jason Bourne movie (incidentally, the designers have cited the Bourne movies as a big influence on Conviction). Skate I'll give you, but given how long sports sims have existed, I don't see how it supports your argument that there has been a big move towards realism in games. As for Operation Flashpoint, well, it is realistic (AI issues notwithstanding) but does it support your argument? How many games like it are out there? To sum up, as I alluded to by citing the Matrix, some people have a ridiculously low bar for realism. If they were viewing movies, they'd think everything that wasn't a Disney Cartoon was realistic, whether that movie was X-men 2 or Black Hawk Down.
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SteveTabernacle
Super Mario Bros 3 used to be what people considered fun. Today, most games are murder simulators, in realistic worlds filled with unlikeable characters in an atmosphere of despair. Not a lot of fun there. Maybe that's one of the reasons the Wii is so popular.Born_Lucky
Hyperbole and bollocks. Two great tastes that taste great together. The majority of games released on each system in every given year are not even rated M, least of all do they qualify as "murder simulators".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Sammi_Costello"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"] Really? Name them.CarnageHeart

Modern Warfare 2's ridiculous plotline (which would embarass the writers of Invasion USA), infinitely respawning enemies and magically healing soldiers are pretty far from realisitic. Similar (though not exactly the same criticisms) can be leveled at MW1 and BC2. All of the stuff I mentioned isn't necessarily horrible from a game design perspective (well, I dislike infinite respawns, but many don't have a problem with it) but its all far from realism. There's nothing realistic about GTA4 aside from maybe the vehicle physics. The over the top characters, the light hand of the law and the fact one can heal shotgun blasts to the chest with fast food puts its pretty far reality. And Splinter Cell Conviction is just as action packed and just as realistic as a Jason Bourne movie (incidentally, the designers have cited the Bourne movies as a big influence on Conviction). Skate I'll give you, but given how long sports sims have existed, I don't see how it supports your argument that there has been a big move towards realism in games. As for Operation Flashpoint, well, it is realistic (AI issues notwithstanding) but does it support your argument? How many games like it are out there? To sum up, as I alluded to by citing the Matrix, some people have a ridiculously low bar for realism. If they were viewing movies, they'd think everything that wasn't a Disney Cartoon was realistic, whether that movie was X-men 2 or Black Hawk Down.

I think part of it is down to design aspects. I could easily confuse ALL of the games initially mentioned. Now that consoles can produce almost photo real graphics, it seems that is the only direction they go. I know there are exceptions, but for the most part there isn't much individuality. A good comparison would be to look at Pixar films. While they all have a Pixar look, the worlds and characters they create are somewhat distinct.

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SteveTabernacle
Now that consoles can produce almost photo real graphics, it seems that is the only direction they go.Heirren
I've purchased a fair amount of games this gen, and none of them are anywhere close to photo realistic graphics, nor do they even seem to be making a very good try at it. What you're saying simply isn't true. Much like the imaginary flood of M rated murder simulators taking over the market, this problem seems to exist entirely in the minds of a few forum posters.
Sammi_Costello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sammi_Costello
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="Sammi_Costello"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"] Really? Name them.

Ah right, I see, so I have to give a list of games based on what you believe to be realistic? There's just one problem with that, you haven't stated your defination of realistic. But, from what I can see, anything with a health system, anything with a lot of enemies or anything with a plot that you define as "ridiculous" is not realistic, as you define it. Wonderful. Sorry, but you don't get to define "realistic" in this instance. Nor, for that matter, do you get to define "ridiculous". The games I listed where designed with realism at the forefront of their design and development processes; it's obvious. Gamist mechanics that have been placed in the game in order to make it accessable or playable, or tweak the difficulty, or whatever, do not nessesarily mean that it isn't realistic. Over the top characters do not mean a game isn't realistic, nor does the gamist mechanic of "healing". A game being "action packed" does not mean it isn't realistic, or would you rather have a game where you spend 30 minutes doing stuff, and then 5 and a half hours going through a de-briefing and relocation, before being assigned your next mission, only to go through the whole debriefing process again in another half an hour. Yes, of course certain elements are added to games. They have to be, in order to make those games playable at all. I mean, how long do you think it takes a granade to go off in real life? 5 seconds. In video games, the standard is 2 seconds. Does that mean that any game with granades that go off in under 5 seconds isn't realistic? Hardware is also going to be an issue, though not so much in the days of current-gen technology, and this particular problem is only going to get smaller as time goes on, probably. The fact remains, that while there are a number of games out there that do come up with creative new worlds that eschew realism (if not throw it out the window altogether), there are still a fair number of games with realism at their heart, and while a few are fine, the amount of games out there that are adopting this mantra is making the whole concept of a "realistic game" a complete and utter bore, because I've seen it all before.
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SteveTabernacle
the amount of games out there that are adopting this mantra is making the whole concept of a "realistic game" a complete and utter bore, because I've seen it all before.Sammi_Costello
Again, hyperbole. Such games make up the minority of titles released every year, on each system. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Just because they get the most attention, doesn't mean that is all their is out there.
Sammi_Costello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sammi_Costello
[QUOTE="Sammi_Costello"]the amount of games out there that are adopting this mantra is making the whole concept of a "realistic game" a complete and utter bore, because I've seen it all before.SteveTabernacle
Again, hyperbole. Such games make up the minority of titles released every year, on each system. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Just because they get the most attention, doesn't mean that is all their is out there.

There's only so much you can do with "realistic shooter". After a certain small amount each year, they begin to feel stale to me. So no, it isn't really hyperbole, at least, not in my opinion.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I think part of it is down to design aspects. I could easily confuse ALL of the games initially mentioned. Now that consoles can produce almost photo real graphics, it seems that is the only direction they go. I know there are exceptions, but for the most part there isn't much individuality. A good comparison would be to look at Pixar films. While they all have a Pixar look, the worlds and characters they create are somewhat distinct.

Heirren

Even when examining games within the parameters of specific genres, your argument falters. MW2 looks nothing like Killzone 2, which in turn looks dissimilar when compared to something like Halo 3, Mirror's Edge or Red Steel 2. Extricate yourself from the confines of genre and the differential in style becomes even more apparent, ranging from games like Braid and Mad World to Shadow Complex and Bionic Commando: Rearmed. From a purely aesthetic rationale, games today offer far more variety and visual nuance than ever before precisely because the tools afforded to developers facilitates this. The realism you and others cite is merely one style among many currently utilized in the gaming medium.

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SteveTabernacle
[QUOTE="SteveTabernacle"][QUOTE="Sammi_Costello"]the amount of games out there that are adopting this mantra is making the whole concept of a "realistic game" a complete and utter bore, because I've seen it all before.Sammi_Costello

There's only so much you can do with "realistic shooter". After a certain small amount each year, they begin to feel stale to me. So no, it isn't really hyperbole, at least, not in my opinion.

Shooters also make up a minority of games released each year, so you're actually discussing a minority of a minority here. Not exactly the overwhelming onslaught of identical photo realistic M rated games I'm being led to believe are flooding the market.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="Sammi_Costello"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="Sammi_Costello"] Well, there's: Modern Warfare Modern Warfare 2 Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Bad Company 2 And that's just games that I've played recently. You can throw a fair amount of the WW2 games into that mix as well. And if we move away from the FPS genre, we see a few other realistic games, like the Skate series and Splinter Cell Conviction (to a point). GTA 4 has a fair amount of realism as well, and by extension, all of its expansion packs. That's a fairly big list, for something I thought about for 5 minutes.

Ah right, I see, so I have to give a list of games based on what you believe to be realistic? There's just one problem with that, you haven't stated your defination of realistic. But, from what I can see, anything with a health system, anything with a lot of enemies or anything with a plot that you define as "ridiculous" is not realistic, as you define it. Wonderful. Sorry, but you don't get to define "realistic" in this instance. Nor, for that matter, do you get to define "ridiculous". The games I listed where designed with realism at the forefront of their design and development processes; it's obvious. Gamist mechanics that have been placed in the game in order to make it accessable or playable, or tweak the difficulty, or whatever, do not nessesarily mean that it isn't realistic. Over the top characters do not mean a game isn't realistic, nor does the gamist mechanic of "healing". A game being "action packed" does not mean it isn't realistic, or would you rather have a game where you spend 30 minutes doing stuff, and then 5 and a half hours going through a de-briefing and relocation, before being assigned your next mission, only to go through the whole debriefing process again in another half an hour. Yes, of course certain elements are added to games. They have to be, in order to make those games playable at all. I mean, how long do you think it takes a granade to go off in real life? 5 seconds. In video games, the standard is 2 seconds. Does that mean that any game with granades that go off in under 5 seconds isn't realistic? Hardware is also going to be an issue, though not so much in the days of current-gen technology, and this particular problem is only going to get smaller as time goes on, probably. The fact remains, that while there are a number of games out there that do come up with creative new worlds that eschew realism (if not throw it out the window altogether), there are still a fair number of games with realism at their heart, and while a few are fine, the amount of games out there that are adopting this mantra is making the whole concept of a "realistic game" a complete and utter bore, because I've seen it all before.

You just established your definition of reality is anything that isn't Disneyesque. Thanks for the support.