Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ameer27
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

I've had this topic on my mind for quite a while. I'm 24 years old and have been playing video games since I was a kid. It's something I love doing, and it in no way interferes with other areas of my life. If anything, it only makes me feel better when I'm in a bad mood. Hell, sometimes it's the only thing that makes me feel better. Of course I do it in moderation, like anywhere from half an hour to 3 hours a day, sometimes more if I have time and nothing else to do. Well I kinda made an exception for RDR, but come on admit it you also made this exception, lol.

However, I feel like many people judge. At this pace, I don't think I'm ever going to stop gaming, and people tend to think it's "inappropriate", especially where I live. It's something I have passion for, and one of my favorite pastimes, if not my absolute favorite. I had this discussion with a gamer friend a while ago, and he said he isn't going to stop either and doesn't see anything wrong with it.

I also see nothing wrong with it in case I end up still being a gamer at 50, 60, or even 70 years old and beyond (provided I live that long, lol). Any thoughts? Also, if there are any older gamers reading this, I'd appreciate it if they shared their thoughts and experience. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

So, first off where do you live in the world? I simply ask to get some context to this whole thing.

I am not that much older then you, reaching mid 30's here, and I can not really say that I feel tat people judge me for the hobby I would even argue that gaming here in Northern Europe might be more normal then watching tv.

Which is exactly how I see it too. Our parent s were told that TV was a novelty, it would get old, and they would move on, yet they did not, the generation before that? Same thing with the radio.

Gaming is simply our generations entertainment, I think that people tend to end on clinging to the newest form of entertainment their entire lives. So there is not something odd about it.

That said though, My parents generation also gamed, and I have never seen anyone who looked was surprised that my dad gamed a decent deal, but I do think those cases was a bit rarer.

Se just game man :) I think it is fairly normal, people who claim you should "grow up" could have the same told to them when watching tv after all.

mrmarrero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 mrmarrero
Member since 2007 • 343 Posts

I think it's all about perspective. I'm 42, and while between a full time job and family I don't have a lot of time to game I still manage to sit down once a week or so. On the other hand, my father is 67. He's recently retired and loves to play Baulders Gate in the evenings...

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#4 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

My parents judge me for still playing games (also 24) but I don't really feel that anyone else does. Its becoming super common that people who grew up playing games are still playing them. I probably feel less emberassed about the amount of time I spend playing games now than I did five years ago

probably helps that I work at a software company full of nerdy types

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I´m 51 and religiously get my fix for at least an hour everyday, I don´t give a damn what people think of I playing games.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Video games are very mainstream these days and the most common age group is people in their 20's. I'm 41. I wouldn't be embarrassed to tell anyone I like video games. I would think it would be the 50+ age group that would look at you funny because they can't relate as games weren't ever a thing for most of them. When you are 100 no one will think twice about it.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

I am 32, have a well-paid fulltime job and married, I don't care what other people think besides my wife. And she plays more games than me at times and we enjoy visiting the arcades together. It's never been an issue in my life besides when I ended a relationship because I wasn't "allow" to play video games. I don't think that the games were really the issue, just that I had a hobby that didn't involve her.

The older I get, the less I care what others think about what I do in my spare time

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

I'm 32, still game...ugh, every time I say "32" I don't believe it. I don't feel a day over 13 on the inside, but outside I feel about 50. Blue collar working takes it's toll.

I'll [hopefully] be having LAN parties in the retirement home when I'm 80. Halflife 3 should have come out by then, maybe we'll be playing that. Or CoD 65: Future Time Travel WWII But Really WWIII Soldier. Ooooh or maybe Diablo 9!!!

Anyway yeah I don't know, I think gaming is pretty mainstream now; people will only think it weird if you game too much or your life is in shambles (like mine!). The trick is do just do all your adult, grown-up stuff before gaming. Sometimes I get that part messed up, and I don't like it; after a very productive day, it feel much better to reward yourself than to just do nothing all day but game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

@kaealy said:

I am 32, have a well-paid fulltime job and married, I don't care what other people think besides my wife. And she plays more games than me at times and we enjoy visiting the arcades together. It's never been an issue in my life besides when I ended a relationship because I wasn't "allow" to play video games. I don't think that the games were really the issue, just that I had a hobby that didn't involve her.

The older I get, the less I care what others think about what I do in my spare time

I feel the same way, I don't really give two shits any more. But you have a wife to keep you honest, so that's good. Gotta get me one of those :D

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mark1974

My wife does get irritated by me playing games too much. But she gets irritated by all of my hobbies that I spend too much time on. I might work sixteen hours a day all week straight and then get hell for a few hours of video games on the weekend. Seems unfair. I do it anyway.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mark1974

@mrbojangles25 said:
@kaealy said:

I feel the same way, I don't really give two shits any more. But you have a wife to keep you honest, so that's good. Gotta get me one of those :D

You may be married for many years in the future. Enjoy your freedom now. There is good and bad to both being married or single. Enjoy the freedom you have now while you still have it. Don't get me wrong, I prefer being married but I do miss several aspects of being single.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#12 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

To hell with what other people think.

My step-father is 72 years old and he plays video games on his laptop all the time - he's finished more games than I have.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Gaming is much more accepted today than it was when I was younger, when it had more of a stigma of being a "children's activity" but there are some who still view it that way. The thing is, in my mind one of the most important characteristics of being an adult is figuring out who you are and being true to that person instead of worrying about what others think. Going out of one's way to try impress others or actively working to portray a persona that is anything other than who you really are is (to me) the act of someone who is not necessarily a mature adult, not playing video games.

So long as there is balance in your life and video games aren't all-consuming, then play whatever the hell you want and tell anyone who doesn't like it where they can shove their opinion.

My two cents as a 39 year working professional married father of two.

-Byshop

FF7stillNumba1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FF7stillNumba1
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

going to retire a gamer. Apparently your average gamer is 30+ years olds.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

I'm 42 and still game although I find a lot of games nowadays hard to really get into. Especially when I go online and am playing with kids or thugster wannabes. Just curious what all of you older people play? I've played games my whole life and just something i've always done although figured I would have been done by now to be honest. I started getting bored in my early 30's with games. Also when games started being more mainstream. The original Wow was really the last game I really got into. Also had fun with LA Noire and Uncharted last gen.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#16 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

38, and I love my hobby.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

@mark1974 said:

My wife does get irritated by me playing games too much. But she gets irritated by all of my hobbies that I spend too much time on. I might work sixteen hours a day all week straight and then get hell for a few hours of video games on the weekend. Seems unfair. I do it anyway.

Yeah don't give in to the pressure from your wife you need to have your alone time to do what you want to to do just don't do it so much you neglect your other responsibilities and your wife but sounds like you have things worked out.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#19  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I'm 23 and I'm still just as entertained by video games as I was when I was younger. I never really worry about what others might think. Plus, everyone that matters is on my side of things. My dad's a gamer (not as he used to be though, due to his job), my mom doesn't mind them, and my fiancee always asks to play some of my games.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

Im 35,have a kid, got my own construction company and been into video games since Commodore 64 era mid 80's. I love gaming and allways had since the first time i picked up a Joystick playing Pacman i think it was, and then got into games like Kumite fighting, International karate, rampage, Shinobi etc..

I think the gaming industry as a whole is incredibly interesting and really awesome to be a part of it on the consumer side of things to watch and experience how technology and software is constantly evolving and breaking new barriers over decades of gaming.

I will most likely never stop gaming, my ex hated it and that was one of the reasons we broke up actually, best to find a girfriend who is more likeminded.

If gaming is a really cool hobby YOU like, you should never give it up for nobody, not for your friends, not for your family and not for your girlfriend, they should respect that this is a hobby that you really love doing from time to time as long as It's not getting in conflict with other parts of your life.

GAME ON! :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#21 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

People will dump on games while watching the E Channel, reading gossip rags online or in print, and obsess over models in magazine ads. Game if you want, but like anything else, if it inhibits your personal growth, moderate it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

I'm 42 and still game although I find a lot of games nowadays hard to really get into. Especially when I go online and am playing with kids or thugster wannabes. Just curious what all of you older people play? I've played games my whole life and just something i've always done although figured I would have been done by now to be honest. I started getting bored in my early 30's with games. Also when games started being more mainstream. The original Wow was really the last game I really got into. Also had fun with LA Noire and Uncharted last gen.

I play most games, except those that are mostly multiplayer focused for the reasons you mentioned. FPS games in general I'm a bit less inclined to try to get into (even those with a decent SP campaign) just because I've played so freakin' many of them and I think the market is over-saturated with them. I like something that tries to do something different, so the narrative heavy "walking simulators" I that are decent I really enjoy (Firewatch, Ethan Carter, etc). I picked up the Master of Orion Early Access and am having fun with that. Street Fighter V I'm getting a lot of hours in. The Division is my go-to right now for shooter fun, and the way they did the Dark Zones is a fun implementation of multiplayer. I love the Souls series and am eagerly looking forward to 3. All of the Telltale adventure games are great. The latest Tomb Raider is pretty fun, and I dug Until Dawn and The Last of Us quite a bit (that last one being one of the best overall games of recent memory).

I like all kinds of games, but I really dig something with a compelling narrative.

-Byshop

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

I'm 29 and I really couldn't imagine not gaming. If others don't have to justify watching tv series, or having any hobby really, then I don't have to justify playing videogames. If anyone says it's not an adult's pastime, he/she is really just being a bit silly. That said, I personally feel my surroundings are very accepting of videogames. And that'll only increase as more and more people who grew up with videogames pass that hobby on to the next generation.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

34 and I don't think I'll ever stop gaming. My cousin who is 43 is the same. I would never buy a glowing case or have a steering wheel, tho, that's for kids :P.

Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ameer27
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

Nice! So many great responses so far. Game on guys! :)

Where I live, people tend to believe gaming is for kids and can get judgmental. Luckily though, all of my friends seem to either like video games or not mind them at all and think they're a legitimate hobby. My mother respects my hobby and sometimes asks about certain games, like, "Why is this man running around like that killing stuff? Does he have any goal?" Lol. My uncle on the other hand once told me, "You still play video games at your age!?" when he saw my PS3, to which I replied, "Yeah, it's a hobby and I like it." As for my girlfriend, well I don't have one, lol. Not because of gaming though. I do go out and meet people and stuff, but I'm ridiculously shy. Anyways that's off-topic now...

ThisisFlipmode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ThisisFlipmode
Member since 2016 • 10 Posts

I can completely relate to this thread!!

As my parents didn't really allow me to go out (on the town??!!) when I was younger it was the only real way I could enjoy myself, as I also had a sister that wasn't very active I guess is the word. So pretty much, gamed, play football, park etc alone most of the time.

Now, at 25... Even though I have my own flat and a girlfriend. She can't understand why I like chilling and playing games. Like @Ameer27 ...I get told over and over things like "Your so childish"... "You still play video games at your age?!" despite the fact I would say I'm actually quite successful in my field of work. The actual only real regret I have is not trying to get into the industry myself, hence a small YouTube channel I upload too every known and again, and a few people watch. (IS THAT SAD?!?) :)

Anyway... We all love gaming. We all fucking love playing them.

We're probably all the more creative for doing so. Remember that.

Avatar image for terminalyinsane
TerminalyInsane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TerminalyInsane
Member since 2016 • 99 Posts

I'm 47 and still gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@Ameer27: Yeah it still baffles me that when you go to job interviews that they ask you what you do in your spare time you still cannot mention games. Try mentioning games in an interview and you will be branded as immature on the spot.

If more people played games they might not be as uptight and stressed out with their pathetic lives as much. Oh good for you you are a responsible middle aged adult with responsibilities. Too bad you are so uptight you'll probably die in your 50s.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@Ameer27: I am in my mid 40's and have been gaming since I was a kid. I married someone who is a gamer herself which has made it easy to stay with the gaming hobby. We encourage our little one to play video games also, and it is one of the ways families can spend quality time together. I intend to play video games for many years to come. Since I have a family to support, a job, and other responsibilities I tend to play arcade type video games more often than other kinds (roleplaying games for example). There is nothing to be ashamed about with your video game hobby, but common sense should be used at work when the discussions must be on-topic. If you live in a free society you should be able to use gaming as a nice ice-breaker to make acquaintance and friendship with a woman.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts
@FF7stillNumba1 said:

Apparently your average gamer is 30+ years olds.

I am one of the average gamers then, I game a reasonable amount and my partner sometimes gives me grief for the amount I play but she understands that it is what I enjoy doing and I don't let it dominate my life completely (it's not the only thing I spend money on) so all is good. Plus I could be spending on worse things so meh.

When I tell people I game, they usually have some experience with gaming themselves, even if it is just mobile phone gaming/ gaming with their kids so I think its becoming more acceptable.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

@Ameer27: My Grandma is like that. She always asks, "are you still playing those video games?" It always annoys me that she says that, but that's old people for you. I remind her that the average age of gamers now is 30 or so, so it's not like only young people game now-a-days.

That's the good part of being an adult though. You can do what you want and just ignore the haters.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

I'm definitely one of the older gamers in here probably and it's about finding a balance. I don't watch much if any TV so between my job which is a full time job and coming home to my kids, I have a couple of hours to myself and usually game during that time. You just have to find a right balance and not worry about what anyone has to say about your hobby.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I'm 36 and use to get judged as I use to have seizures when I was 24 to 27 and that didn't stop me. Every one was saying I should stop playing on computer games as it was getting worse and I was also getting older. Even hospital was saying it was epilepsy and was on tabs. 3 years of having seizures and it turned out it was my kidney. Since they found out it was my kidney I not had seizures since 2008 and still play computer games. Don't let people judge you what you do no matter what there judging you for.

All though my eyes hurt now so I am off to watch a flashing film instead. :P

MikeLirette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 MikeLirette
Member since 2005 • 4697 Posts

@Ameer27: Hey Dude, I'm 25, I game lots, I even plan to do some twitch streaming after I get some money for equipment (If twitch is still relevant in a few years). No problem with gaming when you are older. If people don't like it, too bad, you do you.

By the way I know lots of older gamers. Look at Scott Johnson who created Frogpants and The Instance Podcast for WoW.. he still games constantly and he is over 40. Keep going dude.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Ameer27 said:

I've had this topic on my mind for quite a while. I'm 24 years old and have been playing video games since I was a kid. It's something I love doing, and it in no way interferes with other areas of my life. If anything, it only makes me feel better when I'm in a bad mood. Hell, sometimes it's the only thing that makes me feel better. Of course I do it in moderation, like anywhere from half an hour to 3 hours a day, sometimes more if I have time and nothing else to do. Well I kinda made an exception for RDR, but come on admit it you also made this exception, lol.

However, I feel like many people judge. At this pace, I don't think I'm ever going to stop gaming, and people tend to think it's "inappropriate", especially where I live. It's something I have passion for, and one of my favorite pastimes, if not my absolute favorite. I had this discussion with a gamer friend a while ago, and he said he isn't going to stop either and doesn't see anything wrong with it.

I also see nothing wrong with it in case I end up still being a gamer at 50, 60, or even 70 years old and beyond (provided I live that long, lol). Any thoughts? Also, if there are any older gamers reading this, I'd appreciate it if they shared their thoughts and experience. :)

I see nothing wrong with gaming as an adult. However, I will say that the older I've gotten, the less tolerant I am of games doing stupid shit that serves no purpose other than to waste my time. Mainly, forced repetition.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

I'm about to hit 30 and I just bought Splatoon for my Wii U. Let the people judge, be you.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've never felt that anyone judged me because I play the occasional video game. Maybe that's because I don't tend to associate with judgmental people. There are gazillions of people in the world and absolutely no reason to befriend those who need to feel superior to others because of their choice of hobbies etc.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

It's because they didn't grow up on gaming (adults) so they think "adults" shouldn't game.

The fact is that adults are becoming people who grew up gaming at this stage and gaming will become more and more accepted when the adult, young adult, teen, and kid population are full of gamers as they will be soon enough.

Like what you like, honestly what strangers think is irrelevant.

That said, no one has ever said anything to me about it so it's just a false stigma.

Whenever someone does say something like "oh you like anime", I get my face very close to theirs and go "yeah, so what mate?"

Confidence is key, something is awkward when you make yourself feel awkward for doing it, and only then.

nerdds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nerdds
Member since 2016 • 39 Posts

LOL, I'm over 30 yet I still play video games.. It's a way to pass the time. And it's always fun.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

The Wii has brought a lot of joy to retirement homes, no joke.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#42 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6099 Posts

I am 41 years old and have been gaming since I was about 5 or 6.Let the people judge you, just don't let it bother you.You know how many people played games 25 years ago compared to today?

Can you imagine in another 25 years from now how popular game playing is going to be?

The way I see it,people who judge/make fun at gamer's are just jealous a-holes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

38 here and still game. When you start adding kids, career, etc. time for gaming diminishes. i.e. your 1-3 hours a day and sometimes more is not an option at all for me. That said, I do set aside a little time every day to play. I get the feeling that people do judge when it comes up in conversation. That's pretty rare though. I honestly don't care though if people think it's childish or whatever.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#44 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

The one thing you will find on video game forums is a lot of people seem to think they are the old person of the group... The average age of a gamer is 31. Being an adult and playing video games is not weird. I'm 34 and probably half my friends game. Of those who don't, it seems like a lot of them wish they still did. Games, in my opinion, have more to offer me than any other means of entertainment and I plan to continue playing as long as I can.

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jamzzee
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts

wtf did people do before tv and video games lol stare at the walls?

shajay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 shajay
Member since 2016 • 38 Posts

try not to get addicted........

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#47 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11675 Posts

In my mid 20's and my love for gaming is stronger now than during my youth. Won't really explain much more about myself, as that's not something people with common sense on the internet should do. And would recommend others here keep that in mind.

Being expressive is one thing, but don't be giving your personal details, or occupation unless you want identity theft. Best to be vague, don't forget that.