GameStop 17+ Rated M policy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ryanb562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ryanb562
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Ok let me start off by saying I'm 16 years old and I have my driver's license. I'm trying to preorder MW3 this weekend and then stay for the midnight release. I'm fine with getting one of my parents to come with me to pre-order it this weekend because of the M rating but does this also means they need to be with me when I go to pick it up? I'm gonna pay for it in full when i pre-order. And if they do have to be with me to pick it up, could I just have one of my 17 year old friends be with me instead?

I'm not familiar with how any of this works, i've never stayed for a midnight before so I'd just appreciate if I could get some info from anyone. Thanks.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Wouldn't a 16 year old out at midnight be past cerfew? :P

Anyways, you probably need one of your parents there when you pick it up. One of your 17 year old friends thing isn't going to work.

TChaivong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 TChaivong
Member since 2004 • 3693 Posts

You need someone that's 18+. There's a chance they won't evenID you;)

ryanb562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ryanb562

Wouldn't a 16 year old out at midnight be past cerfew? :P

Anyways, you probably need one of your parents there when you pick it up. One of your 17 year old friends thing isn't going to work.

TheHighWind

Ha yeah I dont have school the next day so a bunch of my friends were going to. But it doesn't make any difference if my parents are with me when i pre-order and pay for the whole thing and then i just pick it up?

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

If your friend is 17, you could just have him pick it up for you anyways.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

TChaivong

Wait...It's rated 17+ but you need to be 18+ to buy it? I'm confused....

ryanb562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ryanb562

If your friend is 17, you could just have him pick it up for you anyways.

cprmauldin

You can pick up other peoples pre-orders? He's picking up his pre-order too.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

You will need someone with you to pick it up, they will ask you to check in so they can get everyone out of there quickly, there they will ask for your receipt and your ID to make sure you have paid it off, that you are old enough to buy it, and that you are the person who pre-ordered it. and no you can not have someone else pick up your pre-order because they do not know if they asked you to or if you just found someone's receipt on the ground.

ryanb562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ryanb562

You will need someone with you to pick it up, they will ask you to check in so they can get everyone out of there quickly, there they will ask for your receipt and your ID to make sure you have paid it off, that you are old enough to buy it, and that you are the person who pre-ordered it. and no you can not have someone else pick up your pre-order because they do not know if they asked you to or if you just found someone's receipt on the ground.

JayQproductions
Can my 17 year old friend count as the adult that is with me?
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JayQproductions

[QUOTE="JayQproductions"]

ryanb562

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can, most employees won't care as long as there is someone of age with you. You can always call up to gamestop and ask them just to be sure.

ryanb562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ryanb562

[QUOTE="ryanb562"][QUOTE="JayQproductions"]

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can, most employees won't care as long as there is someone of age with you. You can always call up to gamestop and ask them just to be sure.

Ok thanks a lot for your help. I'll plan on using my friend as of now. Are they even that strict about checking IDs at midnight launches? It's past curfew anyway.
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JayQproductions

[QUOTE="ryanb562"] Can my 17 year old friend count as the adult that is with me?ryanb562

Ok thanks a lot for your help. I'll plan on using my friend as of now. Are they even that strict about checking IDs at midnight launches? It's past curfew anyway.

MW2, Black Ops, and Gears 3 midnight launch they asked me for my ID the same time they asked for the receipt but some employees don't really care and it kinda depends on how many people are there and when you show up, they could always have a ton of people and just want to move through it as quickly as possible but i would just rather be safe than sorry.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

JayQproductions

Or couldn't you just have your friend get it for you if it doesn't work ?
ryanb562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ryanb562

MW2, Black Ops, and Gears 3 midnight launch they asked me for my ID the same time they asked for the receipt but some employees don't really care and it kinda depends on how many people are there and when you show up, they could always have a ton of people and just want to move through it as quickly as possible but i would just rather be safe than sorry.

Ok well thanks so much for helping me. I think im just gonna say I forgot my ID in the car if they ask and then try to use my friend to get it.
Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

[QUOTE="TChaivong"]

Jebus213

Wait...It's rated 17+ but you need to be 18+ to buy it? I'm confused....

Different countries have different ratings, and that would be one of them. I'm not sure which one, I only know the ESRB.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#16 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
I'm so glad in 13 days, my restriction of M games will be over!! I will finally be 17!! :P
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dkdk999
I'm so glad in 13 days, my restriction of M games will be over!! I will finally be 17!! :Pbbkkristian
I really want to go into a store and buy an actual M game myself for the first time. That will be epic.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
your 17 year old friend can pick it up for you no worries ahh i remember those good ol highschool days
wargolem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wargolem
Member since 2003 • 929 Posts

DO NOT depend on your friend being able to pick it up. I used to work for GameStop and I don't know how many times we've turned people away because they wanted the guy standing next to him to pick up the game for him. It depends on the store, but we used to go by policy relentlessly: parent or guardian only.

Subject-16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Subject-16
Member since 2011 • 105 Posts

When you pre-order the title with your parent, see if the sales person is able to put a note in the system (this is a fairly common thing in most stores) that says something like 'Parent has confirmed permission for purchase upon pre-order' or something like that.

That or sling a bum $5 to come in a say he's your uncle.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

That or sling a bum $5 to come in a say he's your uncle.

Subject-16

Give the bum $5 and get a 40oz.

ryanb562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ryanb562

Well my friend already has a pre-order he is also going to pick up. So if he pre-orders mine too hes gonna have two pre-orders under his name. Can you do that?

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1842 Posts

Little ot but I still remember when i picked up MGS2 when i was thirteen at circuit city. LOL. now adays its a little different. no one really cared back then.

bert_macklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bert_macklin
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Haha, I feel like this is relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MPjJLJRYv8
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#25 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

In fact, does Gamestop's rated M policy mean you have to be 17 to pick up a game? Or is it 18 (here in the US)? Do they count an M rating as "not being for under 17s" or "not being for minors"?

Avatar image for ConkerAndBerri2
ConkerAndBerri2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 ConkerAndBerri2
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

It depends on who works there. I'm cool with the manager at the gamestop I go to. But when I was 16 I just had my friend who was 17 at the time buy it for me. Just give him the money and tell him your phone number and they'll look it up for you and then he can buy it. Makes me happy I'm 17. :P

FancyRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FancyRaptor
Member since 2011 • 110 Posts

I just asked this question to a Gamestop employee yesterday. He responded by saying that as long as you are 17 or older and have viable proof of your age ( Drivers License ) then they can sell you the game. So no, you don't have to be 18 or older.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dkdk999

In fact, does Gamestop's rated M policy mean you have to be 17 to pick up a game? Or is it 18 (here in the US)? Do they count an M rating as "not being for under 17s" or "not being for minors"?

MathMattS
If your 17 you can buy M games.
cort12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 cort12
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
I swear that the times I have gone to my local gamestop to pick up a preorder they ask "Are you 18 with ID?" even though it says 17+. That's part of the reason why I hardly go to gamestop. Amazon has better deals and they ship it to you on release day for a dollar and no tax (for my state at least).
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Ok let me start off by saying I'm 16 years old and I have my driver's license. I'm trying to preorder MW3 this weekend and then stay for the midnight release. I'm fine with getting one of my parents to come with me to pre-order it this weekend because of the M rating but does this also means they need to be with me when I go to pick it up? I'm gonna pay for it in full when i pre-order. And if they do have to be with me to pick it up, could I just have one of my 17 year old friends be with me instead?

I'm not familiar with how any of this works, i've never stayed for a midnight before so I'd just appreciate if I could get some info from anyone. Thanks.

ryanb562

Best bet is to get your parents to talk to the manager.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#31 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I work at gamestop- to pick up an M rated game, you need to be 17. Or you need to have a parent or "gaurdian" with you. But there is no definition as to what a "Guardian" is specifically, so it really could be anybody. As long as the person buying the game is over 17, thats all that matters. Just dont screw yourself by saying "This is my friend buying it for me". Then youve just made it so I cant sell you it.