Gamespot's top rated game!??!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tenczas9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 tenczas9
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts

Ok get this!!!!! In it's history of rating games, Gamespot has only given out four ratings of "10"! Ok...so whats the big deal? Heres what those games are!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2) - Is this a joke!?!? WTF Tony Hawk!?!?! -

2. Chrono Cross (PS)

3. Soul Caliber (DC)

4. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

Now, out of my gaming history i can only agree that one of these games deserves a 10, which would be zelda. The fact that Tony Hawk got a 10 blows my mind.....Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was better than Gears of War? Better than Super Mario 64? Better than Resident evil 4? Better than Halo or Halo 2? Better than Metal Gear Solid or Devil May Cry? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!? Oh yea, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 also got a 9.9! WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF!!!!

I used to think of Gamespot reviews as worthy, but now that I see this information I am completely surprised.

--- If you want to access this information, just look up the top rated games of all time on the Gamespot home page ---

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#2 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Um... chillax dude?

Anyone who's ever looked at the games list knows this, and knows that the rating system prior to 2000 I believe was a bit different in nature. But going on a quasi tirade won't change anything.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts
While this is hardly new material I will take this opportunity to opine that after THPS got a 10 there was so much blowback that I think it affected the overall review scoring of Gamespot, as since then GS scores average below that of a lot of their peers (which in my perspective is a good thing).
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts
I think Gamespot reviews have been below the average of their peers ever since the site's inception. If anything, they were the most harsh when the site first started. Back then games got panned for being derivative. The editors are far more forgiving of formulaic games today. (asis the gaming public)
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

While this is hardly new material I will take this opportunity to opine that after THPS got a 10 there was so much blowback that I think it affected the overall review scoring of Gamespot, as since then GS scores average below that of a lot of their peers (which in my perspective is a good thing).aspro73

I think the event that spawned the single biggest change in the reviewing structure was the low review of Shenmue for the Dreamcast. It caused a bit of furor on Gamespot similar to the 8.8 given to Twilight Princess. Though it didn't bring the forums down (at least, I don't think it did), eventually the whole review was re-evaluated and it scored higher the second or third time around. There used to be a longer explanation at the end of the review for why it changed, but it's been shortened at this point. If I understand correctly, Kasavin made ita goal to revamp the standards behind the review process, and saw that process through.

Another controversy was Savage: The Battle of Newerthfor the PC. It was given a "fair" range score at one point, but there were accusations from the developers that the reviewer in question had only logged a few hours online for the game. The developers were supposedly able to see the exact time spent on the game during the life of the account, and then cried foul. Greg Kasavin then took it upon himself to completely re-review the game, and publically announced the reasons behind the re-review.

Personally, I always felt Kasavin gave that level of class to Gamespot in that way. If a real concern that compromised the integrity of the site came up, he was willingdeal with it appropriately.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Are you saying that Gears of War should be up there? :shock:
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

[QUOTE="aspro73"]While this is hardly new material I will take this opportunity to opine that after THPS got a 10 there was so much blowback that I think it affected the overall review scoring of Gamespot, as since then GS scores average below that of a lot of their peers (which in my perspective is a good thing).m0zart

I think the event that spawned the single biggest change in the reviewing structure was the low review of Shenmue for the Dreamcast. It caused a bit of furor on Gamespot similar to the 8.8 given to Twilight Princess. Though it didn't bring the forums down (at least, I don't think it did), eventually the whole review was re-evaluated and it scored higher the second or third time around. There used to be a longer explanation at the end of the review for why it changed, but it's been shortened at this point. If I understand correctly, Kasavin made ita goal to revamp the standards behind the review process, and saw that process through.

Another controversy was Savage: The Battle of Newerthfor the PC. It was given a "fair" range score at one point, but there were accusations from the developers that the reviewer in question had only logged a few hours online for the game. The developers were supposedly able to see the exact time spent on the game during the life of the account, and then cried foul. Greg Kasavin then took it upon himself to completely re-review the game, and publically announced the reasons behind the re-review.

Personally, I always felt Kasavin gave that level of class to Gamespot in that way. If a real concern that compromised the integrity of the site came up, he was willingdeal with it appropriately.

Thanks for that summary, I found it very interesting, particularly about BoN for PC. I was playing a game recently for which I read many reviews, all of which gave it mediocre for very specific reasons, reasons which happen to go away after the first 4 hours of play. That made me wonder how long reviewers (in the current environment) can dedicate to a single game. Thanks again. I agree about Kasavin.

tenczas9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tenczas9

Um... chillax dude?

Anyone who's ever looked at the games list knows this, and knows that the rating system prior to 2000 I believe was a bit different in nature. But going on a quasi tirade won't change anything.

AHAHA thats cute you have a large vocabulary.

SemiMaster
tenczas9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tenczas9
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

Um... chillax dude?

Anyone who's ever looked at the games list knows this, and knows that the rating system prior to 2000 I believe was a bit different in nature. But going on a quasi tirade won't change anything.tenczas9

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
Are you saying that Gears of War should be up there? :shock:RK-Mara
Not a chance. I mean GeoW is a great game, but its not a 10.0. And THPS, yeah, it prolly shouldnt have gotten a perfect 10, but this was in the days when THPS games were all the rage, and 3 was a really great game overall and kept you coming back for more, even more so than 1 or 2.
Deactivation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Deactivation
Member since 2007 • 1026 Posts
[QUOTE="tenczas9"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

Um... chillax dude?

Anyone who's ever looked at the games list knows this, and knows that the rating system prior to 2000 I believe was a bit different in nature. But going on a quasi tirade won't change anything.tenczas9

That's cute, you don't know two words that aren't exactly difficult to understand (presumably "quasi" and "tirade").

And Tony Hawk 3 deserves a 10.
JDUB_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 JDUB_x
Member since 2003 • 2828 Posts

More Importantly, Gamespot has only given out one 1.0

Big Rigs Over the Road Racing

Which is highly considered the best game ever here on Gamespot.

T-Bone63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 T-Bone63
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I think that you have to look at their rankings as a guideline. I have no interest in skateboarding......So it wouldn't matter to me if Tony Hawk scored an 11. I think when you read their reviews they cover the good and the bad. I wish we could rank games bygenre, and then overall rank and then by price
Avatar image for lilburtonboy748
lilburtonboy748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lilburtonboy748
Member since 2007 • 2536 Posts
It most definitely isn't my most memorable game, and not even in my top 10, but seriously, have u ever sat down with one of the THPS games. Number 2 and 3 were excellent. They also had more replay value than almost any game. Those two games are excellent, but it blows my mind as well that the game is ahead of Diablo 2, starcraft, half life, oblivion, and many other games that were.....well....better.
Pegasus_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Pegasus_Shade
Member since 2005 • 897 Posts
Well a review is an opinion of the reviewer lol - if they thought it was ten, doesnt mean you have to agree - Though I woulda given Chrono a ten............ Have you bothered playing that goodun?
hyperbomb180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 hyperbomb180
Member since 2006 • 146 Posts
well compared to thps2, 3 was flawless and a HUGE upgrade so i guess it gets a ten, but i know what u mean how come games that are better than THPS3 dont get better ratings, have u seen the rating for MGS3!!!!? outrageous
Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts
Ok, this is starting to annoy me, who keeps deleting my posts?
Pegasus_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Pegasus_Shade
Member since 2005 • 897 Posts
well compared to thps2, 3 was flawless and a HUGE upgrade so i guess it gets a ten, but i know what u mean how come games that are better than THPS3 dont get better ratings, have u seen the rating for MGS3!!!!? outrageoushyperbomb180
Different reviewer maybe AND the fact that they are compared to different games - THPS2 was compared to games of that time, THPS3 was compared to games that came out around the same time..... THPS3 showed little REAL development (upgraded for sure but not much chaned which would be v hard to do anyway). Its like Dynasty Warriors - second one they have around the low eights ut simply because it uses the same gameplay elements, that area went from an 8 to a 5-6 in various games...... Should have a new reviewing bar with originality if they are gonna do something like that
sandroDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 sandroDX
Member since 2007 • 3661 Posts
Chrono Cross very well deserved the 10 it got, heck it deserved more than a 10:P
weltall1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 weltall1028
Member since 2007 • 4775 Posts
Chrono Cross does not deserve a 10, there were so many better PS1 RPGs. Xenogears, FFVIII, Lunar, FF Tactics, and Grandia were all much better games.
VilgeDuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 VilgeDuin
Member since 2004 • 424 Posts

I think Gamespot reviews have been below the average of their peers ever since the site's inception. If anything, they were the most harsh when the site first started. Back then games got panned for being derivative. The editors are far more forgiving of formulaic games today. (asis the gaming public)dchan01

Ain't that the truth. Some people should look at early Gamespot reviews for console games. They are exceptionally brutal and well below the average for what many consider classics nowadays.

I know people complain about this "problem", as I did ages ago, but the review process was far different then. Regardless, you can't look at a game from 2000 getting a 9 and compare to to a game in 2007 getting a 9. Different timeframe, different standards, different reviewers (and even if the same, attitudes, personalities and preferences change).

To it's credit, and giving the devil his due, Kasavin really brought Gamespot to a good standard. Back in the day, the site was incredibly harsh and then it seemed to do a 180 around the time of 1999-2002 where everything (including absolute dreadful garbage like State of Emergency) was declared awesome for no other reason than to do so. But over the past few years the site has finally found it's standards and usually are spot on.

Except for where Gerstmann is involved. His utter bias (good or bad) on everything he reviews or talks about is disconcerting. It's no surprise than anything reviewed by him is what generally gets contested and argued over.

Shame is though, Kasavin's gone and you can see what his absense has done to the site over the past few months. Seems like Gamespot's on a downward trend right now. Heck, I'm not even sure who's in charge anymore.