Gamespots Survey

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I just took a Gamespot's survey and it left me to reflect on something.

but first let me give you the facts of my gaming life and you can decide if I am relevant or not to the observation I am about to make.

1. been gaming for about 24 years, mostly between 10-20 hours a week for those 24 years

2. I buy a new PC about every 3-4 years, spend around $1500 for it.

3. I buy about only 4 games a year to be honest but I am buying games.

4. I have more disposable income per month then most people have total per month

in the survey, they several times asked if any of 'these games' are my favorite, consider buying etc.

out of the huge list I very literally only heard of a small handful and the ones I had heard of I had zero interest in buying.

I dont read reviews from reviewers unless in a debate, I dont go to game journalism websites to gather information or decisions.

I do however, get all my games mostly entirely from Steam and decide on what to play completely based on youtube videos

Its not that I am unwilling to spend the extra money for more game experience, its that I dont have to. so am I a missed opportunity? if the non-indie industry provided me with something I wanted to buy I would have no problem buying it, with microtransactions, DLCs and all.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Youre a total wuss, dude!

Everyone else here has like all the top consoles, and like 20 000$$$ super PCs, and you're like, dudes, I still got Win NT on my 486, can I run Far Cry on it?

And you buy four games a year? A year? WTF? Every real gamer buys at least four games every week. I know I do.

Dude, you gotta pump up your game or you're gonna be laughing stuff here. Get like all the latest consoles and gadgets, and then brag about it on your Youtube channel. That's how we roll.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TryIt

@henrythefifth said:

Youre a total wuss, dude!

Everyone else here has like all the top consoles, and like 20 000$$$ super PCs, and you're like, dudes, I still got Win NT on my 486, can I run Far Cry on it?

And you buy four games a year? A year? WTF? Every real gamer buys at least four games every week. I know I do.

Dude, you gotta pump up your game or you're gonna be laughing stuff here. Get like all the latest consoles and gadgets, and then brag about it on your Youtube channel. That's how we roll.

so the question is 'am I a missed opportunity?'

not am I a wuss or am I a real gamer. I knew that was coming which is why I explicitly said I will just give the info and let others decide.

my question is more economic then a question of my value as a person which I dont care about.

I changed my OP to make it a bit more clear on how I might be a missed opportunity.

its not that I dont want to spend the money or cant (I have more disposable income then most people by a large margin) its just that there is not that which to buy in those markets

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

@tryit said:

I have more disposable income per month then most people have total per month

yeah i imagine the amount of mental health issues you suffer from means you qualify for a lot of social security benefits over there

@tryit said:

more the missing link i'd say

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

@tryit said:

4. I have more disposable income per month then most people have total per month

Is this really relevant? Makes you sound like a douchebag to me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:

yeah i imagine the amount of mental health issues you suffer from means you qualify for a lot of social security benefits over there

@tryit said:

LOL you totally roasted Tryit XD

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TryIt

@davillain- said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:

@tryit said:

LOL you totally roasted Tryit XD

does it matter?

I have more than $3000 a month of discretionary income

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TryIt

@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:

yes of course its completely relevant!!!!!!!!!!!!

the POINT is I am an economic missed opportunity, as in the gaming companies are not selling to me but they could and I have a lot of money to spend.

really? you dont see this point?

I would drop a GRAND on a game if I felt it was the best game ever made...come on man..think

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 goodzorr

@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:

the POINT is I am an economic missed opportunity, as in the gaming companies are not selling to me but they could and I have a lot of money to spend.

I would drop a GRAND on a game if I felt it was the best game ever made...come on man..think

I do see the point. You're complaining that you earn lots of money and that the video games man doesn't come round to knock on your mansion door and say "Excuse me, Mr Tryit, why aren't you spending your thousands of dollars of disposable income on our games? I mean it's absolutely your prerogative to spend your money on what you wish, but you seem to think we need to make you spend your money with us, so why aren't you?"

You're not an 'economic missed opportunity', you're somebody who doesn't wish to spend all their money on video games, it really is that straightforward.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:

I do see the point. You're complaining that you earn lots of money and that the video games man doesn't come round to knock on your mansion door and say "Excuse me, Mr Tryit, why aren't you spending your thousands of dollars of disposable income on our games? I mean it's absolutely your prerogative to spend your money on what you wish, but you seem to think we need to make you spend your money with us, so why aren't you?"

You're not an 'economic missed opportunity', you're somebody who doesn't wish to spend all their money on video games, it really is that straightforward.

you're absolutely correct but just tell him what he wants to hear - that he's special.

only we mean it in the special, missing a few chromosomes sense

Avatar image for android-apps-onpc
Android-apps-onpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Android-apps-onpc
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

sound great

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TryIt

@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:

no that is partly right but not exactly.

lets start again

I am

1. a person who has been playing video games for 34 years

2. I play around 10-20 hours PER WEEK for 34 years

3. I buy gaming equipment.

4. I am not a golfer, fisherman, hunter or other that never plays video games, I actually play video games, I am part of the demographics of people who buy video games

5. I have a lot of money to spend, if I see a game (unlike the fisherman who never plays games) that I really really really like I would in fact be willing to spend several huderns of dollars for it. I WANT to spend thousands of dollars on video games, I DONT WANT to spend thousands of dollars on fishing gear. see?

see the difference?

If I was a person with lots of money who has no intrest in video games, never plays them then yeah you would have a point. but the hint is in my OP statement. everything you need to understand what I am saying is in the OP. put some effort into it please

I will take the replies to my question with all the details as

no

and move on

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 goodzorr

@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:

lets start again

I am

4. I am not a golfer, fisherman, hunter or other that never plays video games, I actually play video games, I am part of the demographics of people who buy video games

5. I have a lot of money to spend, if I see a game (unlike the fisherman who never plays games) that I really really really like I would in fact be willing to spend several huderns of dollars for it. I WANT to spend thousands of dollars on video games, I DONT WANT to spend thousands of dollars on fishing gear. see?

see the difference?

If I was a person with lots of money who has no intrest in video games, never plays them then yeah you would have a point. but the hint is in my OP statement. everything you need to understand what I am saying is in the OP. put some effort into it please

no

and move on

Oh my gosh you're a bit deluded aren't you. This time, where you've been incredibly condescending, you've increased your video game playing period by ten years, although reading your ramblings since the last time I posted you're probably not too far from the truth.

I really don't get what point you're trying (and failing) to drive home here. You want to spend 'huderns of dollars' on video games, but you're complaining because you're not? Why don't you head over to Amazon and spend some money then?? What are you playing for 10-20 hours per week for thirty four years if you're not spending money?

If that seems like a stupid idea, why don't you send all of your disposable income to people on here, or to a charity and give yourself a big pat on the back. There might even be someone on here who need some new fishing gear ;)

TL;DR you have money to spend on video games and you don't spend it on them. But you want to. But you don't. But you want to. But you don't. You don't like fishing.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TryIt

@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:

lets start again

I am

see the difference?

no

and move on

Oh my gosh you're a bit deluded aren't you. This time, where you've been incredibly condescending, you've increased your video game playing period by ten years, although reading your ramblings since the last time I posted you're probably not too far from the truth.

I really don't get what point you're trying (and failing) to drive home here. You want to spend 'huderns of dollars' on video games, but you're complaining because you're not? Why don't you head over to Amazon and spend some money then?? What are you playing for 10-20 hours per week for thirty four years if you're not spending money?

If that seems like a stupid idea, why don't you send all of your disposable income to people on here, or to a charity and give yourself a big pat on the back. There might even be someone on here who need some new fishing gear ;)

TL;DR you have money to spend on video games and you don't spend it on them. But you want to. But you don't. But you want to. But you don't. You don't like fishing.

I am moving on and taking the answer as No.

Clearly what I am asking is too complicated for this audience. They keep missing the point

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 goodzorr

@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:

lets start again

I am

see the difference?

no

and move on

Clearly what I am asking is too complicated for this audience. They keep missing the point

Silence is golden.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TryIt

@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:

lets start again

I am

see the difference?

no

and move on

Silence is golden.

I just find it odd that despite me playing 10-20 hours a week on video game for the past 34 years or so I have never heard of the vast majority of games on that survey

everyone delicate ego was too fixated on the income statement and clearly caused the confusion, I should have left that out

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By goodzorr

@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:

Silence is golden.

I just find it odd that despite me playing 10-20 hours a week on video game for the past 34 years or so I have never heard of the vast majority of games on that survey

everyone delicate ego was too fixated on the income statement and clearly caused the confusion, I should have left that out

Then your post should be something along the lines of:

I did a survey and I'd never heard of half the games. Have I been hiding in a shell? To be honest, I haven't heard of half the new games coming out.

But yes, you mentioning money was definitely the fixation point, and rightly so. Especially as it comes across as a big brag.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TryIt

@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:
@tryit said:
@goodzorr said:

Silence is golden.

Then your post should be something along the lines of:

I did a survey and I'd never heard of half the games. Have I been hiding in a shell? To be honest, I haven't heard of half the new games coming out.

But yes, you mentioning money was definitely the fixation point, and rightly so. Especially as it comes across as a big brag.

who said anything about 'new games'?

yes its obvious that people let their ego get themselves easily distracted.

'rightfully so' I can not agree with you on however.

anyway..I still find it curiously odd after having taking the survey. I guess nobody else does. ok well I understand your position now