GameSpot and Giant Bomb just dropped a megaton.

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#1 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

I saw this on my Twitter from Greg Kasavin. Those who have been around GameSpot for a long time will understand the significance of this news. After watching GB's stream, we can expect some news at 4PM today. Not sure if that's Eastern, Pacific, or what. This is crazy news.

EDIT: According to this tweet, we're going to learn what really went down in GerstmannGate!

EDIT 2: Here's a Gamasutra article that covers what's going on.

Links should be fixed now.

EDIT 3: Giant Bomb will be addressing everything at 4PM PDT. GameSpot will be streaming it live.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Link is broken ::( Both of them.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Does this mean the old reviewers are coming back on board?

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fend_oblivion

Link is broken ::( Both of them.

Jbul

Remove the extra https portion and try again.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 King9999

fend_oblivion

They're coming back, but not to GameSpot. Giant Bomb will still exist. Nothing will change there other than the fact that the ownership changed hands.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fend_oblivion

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

King9999

They're coming back, but not to GameSpot. Giant Bomb will still exist. Nothing will change there other than the fact that the ownership changed hands.

Just checked the GiantBomb website. Looks like their moving their office to the GS one. The site is also going to be modified but it will take some time for the changes to take place.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#7 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Exciting! Best news I've heard a long time.

BoG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BoG_
Member since 2003 • 2155 Posts

This is very cool! The two best gaming sites on the web. They'll remain separate, so we'll still get those unique flavors. Plus, this is great for GiantBomb because they'll have more funding for all their mayhem. As a GB user, I'm very excited.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 cikame
Member since 2004 • 1010 Posts

You filthy ****ers

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44307 Posts
Sweet. This is very good news indeed.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

fend_oblivion

No, GB is just moving into the same building as GS.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Oddly enough the thing I'm excited about all this is that Jeff can finally tell the story of Gerstmann-Gate. I'm less excited about the actual purchase...generally when smaller companies like Giant Bomb (as a part of Whiskey Media) get purchased, they lose a lot of their identity. Gamespot has changed a lot in the past few years, but I'm not sure they've changed enough, and the claims that Giant Bomb will be allowed to remain the same sound pretty hollow to me. But I guess we'll see. Worst part is that there will no longer be any crossovers between Giant Bomb and Tested, but Tested have their own Mythbustery news that's exciting on its own, so I won't get too vocal just yet. Gimme some Kari on my Tested videos please.
Avatar image for der_spudmeister
der_spudmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 der_spudmeister
Member since 2005 • 607 Posts
Unfortunately, Giant Bomb is splitting from both Screened and Tested. I really liked those sites too and I liked that my account worked across their sites as well ('s why I became a premium sub :P ) Not gonna lie, I'm pretty bummed about this.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 King9999

Oddly enough the thing I'm excited about all this is that Jeff can finally tell the story of Gerstmann-Gate. I'm less excited about the actual purchase...generally when smaller companies like Giant Bomb (as a part of Whiskey Media) get purchased, they lose a lot of their identity. Gamespot has changed a lot in the past few years, but I'm not sure they've changed enough, and the claims that Giant Bomb will be allowed to remain the same sound pretty hollow to me. But I guess we'll see. Worst part is that there will no longer be any crossovers between Giant Bomb and Tested, but Tested have their own Mythbustery news that's exciting on its own, so I won't get too vocal just yet. Gimme some Kari on my Tested videos please.DJ_Lae

Look at this this way: if Giant Bomb was going to change in a way that they lose their identity, do you think Jeff and co. would stick around?

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Look at this this way: if Giant Bomb was going to change in a way that they lose their identity, do you think Jeff and co. would stick around?

King9999

I would if you paid me a ****load of cash.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
"...the regime at CBS..." i don't know why but that made me laugh so hard.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DJ_Lae

King9999
If it means job vs no job, yeah. That's the other side to this - I have a feeling Giant Bomb would not exist much longer if it weren't purchased like this. It's never really been a moneymaker.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Exciting! Best news I've heard a long time.

c_rake

What would be even more amazing is if Gerstmann returned to a GS editor spot sometime in the future. That would be full circle.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
As I have said on other boards, I really felt for Jeff because of the shenanigans that went down when he left. That said, I consider the journalistic quality of Gamespot to be precisely swill, while I consider Giant Bomb to be about half a notch above swill. So in the long run this doesn't really mean anything. Neither Giant Bomb nor Gamespot has anything to offer me from a journalism/editorial/news reporting perspective.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DJ_Lae

As I have said on other boards, I really felt for Jeff because of the shenanigans that went down when he left. That said, I consider the journalistic quality of Gamespot to be precisely swill, while I consider Giant Bomb to be about half a notch above swill. So in the long run this doesn't really mean anything. Neither Giant Bomb nor Gamespot has anything to offer me from a journalism/editorial/news reporting perspective.savebattery

Can't argue with that, although as far as journalism goes, there basically is none in the videogame industry.

Most sites just verbally fellate game publishers in as roundabout a way as possible.

tealmantis793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tealmantis793
Member since 2005 • 53 Posts

Giant Bomb user ZombiePie right here (yes I know...crazy coming back to this account) it sounds like when GameFAQs got bought. That is we have two site but one owner. Still waiting to see what happens to my position, and I'm as out of the loop as everyone else.

Anyways I guess I should say I'm happy to be back.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 savebattery

[QUOTE="savebattery"]As I have said on other boards, I really felt for Jeff because of the shenanigans that went down when he left. That said, I consider the journalistic quality of Gamespot to be precisely swill, while I consider Giant Bomb to be about half a notch above swill. So in the long run this doesn't really mean anything. Neither Giant Bomb nor Gamespot has anything to offer me from a journalism/editorial/news reporting perspective.DJ_Lae

Can't argue with that, although as far as journalism goes, there basically is none in the videogame industry.

Most sites just verbally fellate game publishers in as roundabout a way as possible.

That's one part of it, for sure. Another part of modern game journalism that sucks is that I believe games that don't get a big push from their publisher (or come from a smaller publisher without the resources to buy reviews) end up getting severely under-rated or outright ignored. Titles like Binary Domain, Ivy the Kiwi, Shinobi 3DS, MadWorld, Deadly Creatures, Monster Lab, Crush, and so many more got the shaft so we could read yet another feature about the upcoming Call of Duty map pack or the same Assassin's Creed game for the third straight year. It's especially noticeable in long-running niche series that mainstream journalists clearly don't understand. I always laugh when Dynasty Warriors gets a 5/10 for not innovating when Madden and Call of Duty get a 9 for the same thing. Or when games like Yakuza get compared to Grand Theft Auto. It's really a joke, and I truly don't understand how ANYONE could read a professional review in this day and age when so much information is out there from so many other sources.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I don't understand...?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="savebattery"]As I have said on other boards, I really felt for Jeff because of the shenanigans that went down when he left. That said, I consider the journalistic quality of Gamespot to be precisely swill, while I consider Giant Bomb to be about half a notch above swill. So in the long run this doesn't really mean anything. Neither Giant Bomb nor Gamespot has anything to offer me from a journalism/editorial/news reporting perspective.DJ_Lae

Videogame journalism is usually shallow, but that's par for the course in entertainment reporting (nods towards film, music and tv).

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 savebattery

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]

[QUOTE="savebattery"]As I have said on other boards, I really felt for Jeff because of the shenanigans that went down when he left. That said, I consider the journalistic quality of Gamespot to be precisely swill, while I consider Giant Bomb to be about half a notch above swill. So in the long run this doesn't really mean anything. Neither Giant Bomb nor Gamespot has anything to offer me from a journalism/editorial/news reporting perspective.CarnageHeart

Videogame journalism is usually shallow, but that's par for the course in entertainment reporting (nods towards film, music and tv).

Game journalism is equally (if not more) shallow, but it also has a few other things working against it. First off is the obviously inappropriate relationship between publishers and journalism outlets. It's ridiculous and a conflict of interests for someone to be reviewing a product from a company whose advertising revenue supports and sustains their employer. Second is the whole buddy-buddy thing that seems to go on between "journalists" and members of the industry. Tons of journalists end up working directly for publishers in the PR department and various other ways. GregK was an example, and a more disgusting example is Chobot appearing as an in-game character in ME3. But it happens way more often than that. Third is just the general cowardice. Nobody seems to be willing to call anyone from the industry out until AFTER mainstream journalism outlets like the New York Times or Forbes do first. Not a single gaming publication said ANYTHING about SF x Tekken's on-disc DLC fiasco until Forbes did. I mean, how did PS3 Skyrim get good reviews at launch when it was barely even playable? Why don't any SF x Tekken reviews mention that the netcode is pure ass and your sound effects probably won't even work online?
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]

savebattery

Game journalism is equally (if not more) shallow, but it also has a few other things working against it. First off is the obviously inappropriate relationship between publishers and journalism outlets. It's ridiculous and a conflict of interests for someone to be reviewing a product from a company whose advertising revenue supports and sustains their employer. Second is the whole buddy-buddy thing that seems to go on between "journalists" and members of the industry. Tons of journalists end up working directly for publishers in the PR department and various other ways. GregK was an example, and a more disgusting example is Chobot appearing as an in-game character in ME3. But it happens way more often than that. Third is just the general cowardice. Nobody seems to be willing to call anyone from the industry out until AFTER mainstream journalism outlets like the New York Times or Forbes do first. Not a single gaming publication said ANYTHING about SF x Tekken's on-disc DLC fiasco until Forbes did. I mean, how did PS3 Skyrim get good reviews at launch when it was barely even playable? Why don't any SF x Tekken reviews mention that the netcode is pure ass and your sound effects probably won't even work online?

You need to read this review then...

madrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 madrunner
Member since 2004 • 242 Posts
Hi, hey, hello. Giant Bomb is awesome! GameSpot, ain't so bad. I think. So yeah, this happened.
Jimmi323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jimmi323
Member since 2006 • 870 Posts
First time I've been back since I migrated over to Giant Bomb... I can't wait to see where this goes! I hope the GS forums have improved somewhat since then. In terms of quantity they can't be beat. Quality, on the other hand is debatable to say the least.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 King9999

I don't understand...?

Metamania

All you need to know is that the old GS editors are going to be in the same building as the current GS crew.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

First time I've been back since I migrated over to Giant Bomb... I can't wait to see where this goes! I hope the GS forums have improved somewhat since then. In terms of quantity they can't be beat. Quality, on the other hand is debatable to say the least.Jimmi323

Welcome to PGD. The worst forum on the internet after System Wars. Dont confuse it for GGD which was awesome. now it's s***.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 c_rakestraw  Moderator

What would be even more amazing is if Gerstmann returned to a GS editor spot sometime in the future. That would be full circle.topsemag55

Honestly, I'd prefer if he and the rest of the Bomb Crew stay at Giant Bomb. They do some awesome work there. I'd rather they keep it up there rather than go back to things are here.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 King9999

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]What would be even more amazing is if Gerstmann returned to a GS editor spot sometime in the future. That would be full circle.c_rake

Honestly, I'd prefer if he and the rest of the Bomb Crew stay at Giant Bomb. They do some awesome work there. I'd rather they keep it up there rather than go back to things are here.

At the very least, GS and GB will collaborate on stuff.

madrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 madrunner
So, people who are deep into GameSpot: who is still working on GS that was working here in 2008?
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 c_rakestraw  Moderator

At the very least, GS and GB will collaborate on stuff.King9999

Yeah, that should be interesting.

tealmantis793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tealmantis793

Heads up! Alex Navarro is leaving Screened to join Giant Bomb in their move to CBS. No news on Rorie.

madrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 madrunner

Heads up! Alex Navarro is leaving Screened to join Giant Bomb in their move to CBS. No news on Rorie.

tealmantis793

I believe Rorie will still work on Screened for a while.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 King9999

Giant Bomb will be revealing all at 4PM PDT. Gamespot will be streaming.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Heads up! Alex Navarro is leaving Screened to join Giant Bomb in their move to CBS. No news on Rorie.tealmantis793

He's not writing for Screened anymore? Wow. Thought he'd keep writing for both sites.

BoG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BoG_
Member since 2003 • 2155 Posts

[QUOTE="tealmantis793"]Heads up! Alex Navarro is leaving Screened to join Giant Bomb in their move to CBS. No news on Rorie.c_rake

He's not writing for Screened anymore? Wow. Thought he'd keep writing for both sites.

Well, both sites are going in different directions, so it makes sense that he'd have to pick a side. Video games make more sense for Alex, though, and I'm glad he's staying with GB.

madrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 madrunner

[QUOTE="tealmantis793"]Heads up! Alex Navarro is leaving Screened to join Giant Bomb in their move to CBS. No news on Rorie.c_rake

Screened and Giant Bomb have been acquired by two different companies, so it would be crazy if he kept working for both.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mfpantst
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Awesome to see a familiar person (even if youre not zombie pie here). Somehow I've been using my same userID since I was 16 (that's a decade if you're counting) so mfpantst is still mfpantst. Not that that means anything. I guess I'm new here then

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Well if anything maybe we will finally get the full scoop of "Gerstmannsgate" from the horses mouth, that will be interesting at least.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 S0lidSnake

Well if anything maybe we will finally get the full scoop of "Gerstmannsgate" from the horses mouth, that will be interesting at least.GodModeEnabled

why would the reveal it now?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Well, both sites are going in different directions, so it makes sense that he'd have to pick a side. Video games make more sense for Alex, though, and I'm glad he's staying with GB.BoG_

Same here. I just figured he'd find some way to keep writing for both, like some infrequent freelance gig or something.

Screened and Giant Bomb have been acquired by two different companies, so it would be crazy if he kept working for both.madrunner

But crazy is what Alex does best!

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 King9999

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Well if anything maybe we will finally get the full scoop of "Gerstmannsgate" from the horses mouth, that will be interesting at least.S0lidSnake

I guess because he can now? Most people concluded it was because of the whole Kane & Lynch issue, but maybe there was more to it than that.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Well if anything maybe we will finally get the full scoop of "Gerstmannsgate" from the horses mouth, that will be interesting at least.King9999

I guess because he can now? Most people concluded it was because of the whole Kane & Lynch issue, but maybe there was more to it than that.

If CBS fired him and made him sign a non-disclosure agreement then i dont see why hiring him back would nullify it.

but like you said, there is probably more to it than that.

tealmantis793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tealmantis793

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="tealmantis793"]Heads up! Alex Navarro is leaving Screened to join Giant Bomb in their move to CBS. No news on Rorie.BoG_

Well, both sites are going in different directions, so it makes sense that he'd have to pick a side. Video games make more sense for Alex, though, and I'm glad he's staying with GB.

Hey BoG! I see you have an animated .gif as your avatar! You should be ashamed of yourself. Dave is staying with the Giant Bomb team. People on Gamespot would know him as the primary designer behind MP3.com and TV.com when the first became Cnet sites.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 c_rakestraw  Moderator

If CBS fired him and made him sign a non-disclosure agreement then i dont see why hiring him back would nullify it.

but like you said, there is probably more to it than that.

S0lidSnake

Maybe he was refusing to talk about it out of courtesy?

madrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 madrunner

I believe that the management from back then is not the same as today so that's why they can talk more freely. That's what I assume is the case.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Well if anything maybe we will finally get the full scoop of "Gerstmannsgate" from the horses mouth, that will be interesting at least.S0lidSnake

Stop being so contrary, jesus. I don't know why... because I wanna hear it that's why :P