Games you've regretted buying?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

Here's my selection:

1) Mario Kart 8 - What can I say?. There is a criminally limited number of tracks and it's a bare bones game at best. I thought the tracks would be completely different for each 'difficulty' (i.e. 50CC, 100CC and 150CC), but nope, they're all the same and the tracks on the bottom half are all old remixes that are barely spruced up. Talking of retro tracks, why aren't all of them in this? Also, only Donut Plains 3? Are you freaking kidding me?! The first few new tracks are awesome then everything is plain and meh. I was expecting a whole new array of great tracks and ALL the best tracks from every previous entry in the series! How f**king wrong was I?! The online mode is pathetic. It's so pathetic that I will not ever try it. I have no motivation to. You don't unlock anything new by winning races like decals, kart parts, colour schemes, colours options etc. The draw is supposed to be winning and climbing up leaderboards. This isn't the 90s Nintendo. People want more than that. We want to feel like we've earned something. We want bragging rights. I beat the game on 50CC. I will never touch it again. Great visuals although the pop-in textures and low-res textures on the signs really stand out. Mario Kart 8 is an overpriced demo, a rip off of the highest proportions...

2) Deus Ex Human Revolution - Glitches, glitches and more glitches, especially the bug where the game registers that you've taken someone out pacifically, but the pop-up says otherwise, but there's also object hovering, getting stuck in walls, all that good stuff. Awful dialogue to boot. Repetitive objectives which essentially boil down to you moving from one room to the next in a variety of ways, but ultimately having to do the same crap each time. The game is so linear and dated in terms of mission structure. The hacking, oh the hacking it's so wonderfully...broken. I ended up just hoarding nukes and worms because hacking wasn't thought out very well or I'm a super genius xD. It's child's play and not challenging in the least all the same. The AI is a joke, the graphics are appalling and are made worse by the repetitive en vogue yellow-on-yellow theme everywhere. The skill tree is also pointless as you don't really ever feel like you need the upgrades. They're just there. I really didn't like this game. GOTY contender my foot. Jensen is barely developed as a character. You don't feel for his situation at all and he's very much forgettable. The story trudges along and apart from the main themes which are so very obvious in each setting they otherwise feel bland and lifeless. The lack of environmental interaction struck me as strange too.

3) MGSV: Ground Zeroes - First off the bat, I tested out the combat and it does a brilliant job at emulating the CQC of Snake Eater to a tee which was the last game in the franchise I had played before this...that was their intention right? WHERE IS THE DEVELOPMENT?! The lack of a instant save system drove me insane to the point where I thought "f**k this crap" and put the game away for good, but let me point out why I hate this game in more depth, because it's fun to rant xD. Well, quite simply, it's utterly rigid in its structure. I suspect this was done to add replay value because the game is so short, but will I be buying MGSV: The Phanthom Pain after enduring (just) this horrible, horrible experience? Not until hell freezes over I won't! It's a sin to explore in this game or any game for that matter according to Konami, that's what I've gathered after the torturous ordeal that Ground Zeroes was. I played using a ghost/pacifist play style ATTEMPTING to take out everyone and collecting every item. What stopped me? Enemies wake up. I noticed this after KO'ing virtually everyone on the base (fun times). There's a point where realism destroys enjoyment and this is probably the go-to example, f**k me. The most ridiculous thing is that if you wander into a far off corner whilst an enemy soldier is incapacitated he'll be awake when you return, but he won't ring the alarm. Oh no, he'll have accepted your weird greeting ritual of choking him out as a sign of eternal friendship, but that's only if he doesn't see you. If he sees you then he'll be on that alarm quicker than a hyena. What is the point in torturing the player like that then?! Maybe I have it all wrong. Maybe the game is meant to be played in a pure stealth fashion (as in you're meant to do as little as possible and just focus on the critical objectives), a mix of stealth and a regular shooter or a straight up 'destroy everything' TPS. Well in that case this game is extremely boring and against player expression. It would take an inordinate amount of time to beat this game, regardless of how short it is (my soul was scorched while playing this and thought better of playing it to the end), in the way I've tried to. JUST NOT FOR ME AT ALL. It is FAR too restrictive.

4) Watchdogs - I'll get the visual critique out of the way first. They're horrendous. Moving on swiftly, the physics in this game is like an ongoing joke by the developers. The vehicles either handle like bricks in a pond or something from Outrun. The hacking mechanic gets repetitive far too quickly as there's no depth, all you have to do is complete a bunch of tedious side missions to unlock skills points which then open up 'one click' actions. There's no challenge whatsoever and hacking is most definitely not empowering in the game, it's more like a paper thin gimmick that won't be one of the first things you'll remember after playing the game for any amount of time. Before anyone accuses me of being a noob, I always play games on the hardest setting from the get go. As this is a Ubisoft title Watch Dogs was built using an engine designed for easy cross-platform malleability. The problem is, the game looks like horse manure on consoles. However, at least there's consistency, as along with the poor graphics an array of glitches come included. I like the 'freeze car in mid-air' one best personally. That's my favourite. I said I'd get the visual critique out of the way first...I lied. We need more developers to develop engines tailor-made for consoles, because Watch Dogs on the PS4 looks like a dot-to-dot simulator. The texture resolution and shaodws are appallingly poor. The dialogue in the game is 'wooden' as is the protagonist, Aiden Pearce as character. The player doesn't care about him or his stupid family. He isn't fleshed out very well at all. He seems to care more about different coloured trench-coats than getting a lead on his niece. Anyway, the missions are all pretty samey so if you were looking for variety then you're shit out of luck. They largely consist of chasing a marker down and killing everyone there or if, for whatever reason, you want to go the stealth route and admire the ghastly textures then you can do that too. The world is lifeless and the player has no onus to explore. It really is a pitiful game and Ubisoft conned many customers. Watch Dogs was probably one of my most anticipated titles and it let me down comprehensively. I have to wonder though, were Ubisoft trying to make some kind of social commentary with the pathetic enemy AI in the game. Who knows? The game was abysmal, that much I do know. I never came close to finishing it and that's a journey I do not want to complete...ever.

5) Dear Esther -

6) Duke Nukem Forever -

7) Amnesia: The Dark Descent -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over to you.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I bought Knight Rider on the Ps2 for £39.99, god knows why ?

The game is terrible, practically broken, since then I've always read reviews and watched some gameplay videos before buying games

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Fallout 3. Bored me to tears.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Mass Effect 2. Got bored halfway through.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The few I can remember

Cursed Crusade- One of the worst games I've ever played and had to take it back for a refund the next day

Fallout 3- boring, bland, crappy character creation

Oblivion- same as above

Vanquish- one of the cheesiest stereotypical games I've ever played, the sad thing is I've owned the game 3 times cause I kept on trying to give the game a chance but it was just too bad.

RE Operation Raccoon City- one of the few games I was hyped for, then played it and just despised the people who made it

Aliens Colonial Marines- same as above

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Fallout 3 New Vegas

• It made me want to never buy another Bethesda game again. I would think that after Oblivion, they would've put in some effort to make their games less buggy. But no. Not only is the game boring, the AI is mediocre, the physics still feel unrealistically floaty, and character models look poorly animated.

Fable 3

• I thought I should get it because it was released shortly after I bought a 360. What a waste of time. I can't believe I spent the time to beat that game. Boring combat, limited overworld, and a very forgettable story.

Resistance Fall of Man

• When I first got a PS3, this game was all the rage. So I thought I should get it because everyone was saying it was amazing, so I'm sure I'd love it too, right? WRONG. I can use two words to sum of this game. Repetitive and monotonous. That and the story was practically non-existent.
blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Castlevania LoS2

FFXIII-2

FFXIII Lightning Returns

Fallout 3

Tekken Tag 2

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

@Star0: I actually enjoyed Deus Ex HR Director's Cut and MGS Ground Zeroes since I'm a huge Metal Gear fan. A few games I regret buying are:

Watch Dogs - overhyped GTA V ripoff with a broken Online Invasion

AC 3 - more overhyped crap with a Forest Gump protagonist

Black Flag - better than AC 3 but still quantity over quality

Fallout New Vegas - not what I expected after enjoying Fallout 3, exploration in New Vegas is bland, boring and tedious

Uncharted 3 - a rushed story with an interactive movie, first half of the game is mostly platforming and the game ends just when it starts to pick up steam

Bioshock Infinite - a dumbed down version of past Bioshock games, final version was different from the E3 gameplay, 2 gun carry limit, more linear and no real memorable antagonists, Burial At Sea was actually more entertaining than Infinite

Ni No Kuni - fell asleep on this a few times before finally trading it in

Mass Effect 1 / Assassin's Creed 1- great stories but the gameplay sucks ass, both felt like a chore to finish

AgeThe6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AgeThe6
Member since 2014 • 179 Posts

Tekken Tag 2

GTA4

AssAssin's creed 4

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

It's extremely rare for me to ever regret buying a game. The last one that I recall was quite some time ago, it was Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter for the PS2.

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 alcatraz5953
Member since 2014 • 80 Posts

GRID 2

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

It's extremely rare for me to ever regret buying a game.

Same here. Even if I think poorly of a game, I don't regret buying it in the first place because I now have opinion of said game in mind if a conversation ever arises.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Final Fantasy XIII-3 - total trash

GTA V - wish I'd have waited for PS4 version.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I should have skipped AC 3 to avoid burnout and picked up AC 4 instead.

Prototype, SOCOM 4, Crackdown 2, Ratchet All 4 One...meh, fun enough but perhaps my standards should have been higher.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I have 3 that come to mind.

1. Gone Home - Just a lesbian story!

2. Dear Esther - Just awful

3. Watch Dogs - Just lied to by Ubiscam

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Star0

Holy balls....add Dear Esther to my list! Mindblock! Pointless walking simulator. My body was not ready for the pretentious presentation. Loved the poetic language, but stick to written form next time...

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - bored me shitless and wasn't scary in the least.

Duke Nukem Forever - ...

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@Star0: I quite enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

Deus Ex Human Revolution - Bugs took away from the fun..even kept me from moving on past a certain point unless I started the game over.

Dark Souls - Game was not hard and not fun. (Sorry, but hard does not mean placing save points far apart), and buggy at the worst times.

World of Goo - Game was just plain garbage. Waste of $15.

Every Indie game I have ever purchased except Bastion.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

3rd Birthday

Dragon Power

Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness

FF XIII

Super Metroid (You heard me)

ail_taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#20 ail_taco
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

this may not count but a friend of mine gave me rock band for ps3....i regret ever playing it

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#21 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Funny seeing Deus Ex: Human Revolution so much in here. I never found any game-breaking bugs in it, and it's still a part of my collection (granted I traded my original copy that I've beaten to death for the director's cut). I love the game immensely. I also like Watch Dogs a lot, even though it didn't quite live up to the hype.

One game I kinda regret purchasing is The Legend of Dragoon. I love JRPGs, but this one is so bland and generic and unbalanced. It's not terrible, but I think people left their nostalgia goggles on when they said it's so damn great.

Crysis 2 is another. Cool concept, phenomenal graphics, painfully average story and gameplay.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

resident evil 5 resident evil 6 resident evil revelation dragon dogma two worlds two worlds 2 nba 2k14 dante infermo

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

GTA V

Max Payne 3

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

More than anything, it's Uncharted 2. It's basically a 101 crash course of what not to do in game design.

TPS sections: the enemies are bullet sponges so you have to focus fire on a single opponent in order to down him which drags out the lengthy fire fights to a slog. There is almost no enemy variety to boot and the weapons and ways you can deal with them are equally uninteresting.

platforming sections: what platforming sections? The game has an annoying amount of on rails climbing portions that are no different than fast forwarding or rewinding a prerecorded tape. This constitutes dull and mind numbingly pointless gameplay and guess what? these genius developers thought it would be cool that every one of these portions be dragged out even longer by making absolutely every little thing cinematically break under Nathan's weight.

Pointless gameplay sections: Uncharted 2 is riddled with portions that are worse than merely spectating cutscenes. In most cases you can skip a cutscene, but Uncharted 2 forces you to play through gameplay dead scenarios like the opening sequence where Nathan has to limp through snow after an on rails climbing portion. How about the museum heist where you listen to your friend to do exactly what he tells you to do. God forbid you think for once. How about the ice cave where you are forced to follow a man named tenzen because it's fun to watch somebody play the game one second before you do. What about the chapter called "foreign town" in which you just walk through a town until you trigger a cutscene (that's it)? Even when there's a half interesting puzzle like the one where you reflect light, you have an AI controlled character that plays half of it for you.

Story: It started off somewhat interesting with ties into Marko Polo's travels but devolves into a simple race against an evil military army for magic power juice. It loses it's intrigue and cleverness reminiscent of a good Indiana Jones really quickly. I will admit the characters are enjoyable although very cliche.

I'm not sure I've ever played a game so polished that did everything so wrong before. It suggests that this is the crap the developers actually wanted to make.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

every Ubisoft game

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

More than anything, it's Uncharted 2. It's basically a 101 crash course of what not to do in game design.

TPS sections: the enemies are bullet sponges so you have to focus fire on a single opponent in order to down him which drags out the lengthy fire fights to a slog. There is almost no enemy variety to boot and the weapons and ways you can deal with them are equally uninteresting.

platforming sections: what platforming sections? The game has an annoying amount of on rails climbing portions that are no different than fast forwarding or rewinding a prerecorded tape. This constitutes dull and mind numbingly pointless gameplay and guess what? these genius developers thought it would be cool that every one of these portions be dragged out even longer by making absolutely every little thing cinematically break under Nathan's weight.

Pointless gameplay sections: Uncharted 2 is riddled with portions that are worse than merely spectating cutscenes. In most cases you can skip a cutscene, but Uncharted 2 forces you to play through gameplay dead scenarios like the opening sequence where Nathan has to limp through snow after an on rails climbing portion. How about the museum heist where you listen to your friend to do exactly what he tells you to do. God forbid you think for once. How about the ice cave where you are forced to follow a man named tenzen because it's fun to watch somebody play the game one second before you do. What about the chapter called "foreign town" in which you just walk through a town until you trigger a cutscene (that's it)? Even when there's a half interesting puzzle like the one where you reflect light, you have an AI controlled character that plays half of it for you.

Story: It started off somewhat interesting with ties into Marko Polo's travels but devolves into a simple race against an evil military army for magic power juice. It loses it's intrigue and cleverness reminiscent of a good Indiana Jones really quickly. I will admit the characters are enjoyable although very cliche.

I'm not sure I've ever played a game so polished that did everything so wrong before. It suggests that this is the crap the developers actually wanted to make.

lol youre crazy.. Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games of that gen

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
  1. Demon's Souls. This was an awful game. It's only redeeming factor was the save system, but this was not enough to keep me playing.
  2. Spore. There might be some worse games that I have played, but there certainly aren't any that I have purchased.
  3. Final Fantasy 13. This is the single worst JRPG that I have ever played.
  4. Guild Wars. For some reason I thought the game's boring MMO elements wouldn't bother me as much since there was no monthly fee. I played the game for like a week, so I wouldn't have had to worry about a monthly fee, anyway.
  5. Assassin's Creed 4. This is the worst entry in the series. Nothing more to say.
  6. Skyrim. I found a little bit of enjoyment in Oblivion because I didn't have any of its glaring flaws pegged when I started playing the game. Skyrim fixed nothing, so it pretty much sucked from day 1.
  7. Resistance: Fall of Man. Man, was this game bad.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

HOW? For all the things I listed (with very little that isn't a fact) it deserves no such title. Also, whenever I mention these many qualms, the only response I get is one like yours. A baseless claim about its quality. What exactly makes Uncharted 2 any good let alone one of the greatest of a generation.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Flubbbs said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

HOW? For all the things I listed (with very little that isn't a fact) it deserves no such title. Also, whenever I mention these many qualms, the only response I get is one like yours. A baseless claim about its quality. What exactly makes Uncharted 2 any good let alone one of the greatest of a generation.

Games are subjective. You can make a 4 paragraph list of flaws for any game. If you enjoy the game, you won't care about the flaws and won't even consider them as flaws. If you don't like the game, each flaw will only become more glaring every time you encounter it. Yes, it is basically an interactive movie, but I enjoyed it on the first playthrough.

thecruzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 thecruzan
Member since 2014 • 106 Posts

Gears of War: Judgment

Max Payne 3

Watch Dogs

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Star0

One of the very last games I bought on the recommendation of others was Crysis 2. Bullet-sponge, non-existent narrative, largely silent protagonist, a lack of weapon variety, repetitive enemies in drones, enemy re-spawn, simplistic AI and the illusion of non-linear maps (ultimately, you have to reach the same spot to progress the story)...check, check and check.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

None.

But to be fair, I wait till long after the release date to buy games. Having to spend less money on a game means I'm more tolerant of flaws. Waiting for a while also means I can make an extensive overview of the general reception among both consumers and critics and so far I have never made a wrong choice based on that information. It does of course mean I often miss out on the thrill of a game being completely fresh (due to some narrative and gameplay spoilers), but I rather have that than severely regret buying something... Also, my friends do not play videogames, so I don't have to deal with potentially bad recommendations.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

just cause

'cause I just couldn't get into it.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Deus Ex is probably one of the best games made lat gen :D

As for the recent MGSV demo i'd totally disagree. About 20 minutes of gameplay. Although the CQC was nothing like Snake Eater to me, nowhere near in depth.

There're a bunch of games i've regretted buying, too many to list. Can't think of any AAA titles though.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

i very rarely buy new releases and so, by default, my list would be smaller, but, i only have one: gta4.

as well, since, the nintendo game prices are a joke i'll add: zelda the wind waker.

2 of the most overrated and boring games i've ever played.

karlstech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By karlstech
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Well there are a few I guess:

1. NBA Live 07 (or whatever)
  2. Sim city (one of the first ones)
  3. Civilization 2 (was young at the time so maybe I'm being unfair)
  4. Age of Empires III (not a bad game but a let down unlike it's predecessor)
  5. Resident evil 5 (like wtf?)
  6. Hitman 2 (just no)
  7. Mafia 1 (just plain bad, mafia 2 good though)
  8. Mario smash bros. (never bought it but regretted playing)
  9. Guitar Hero (my brother's game but jeeez I hate that game

And the list goes on so I don't want to bore you any more. But I would then there are many games I never regretted buying like WoW, ESO, Deus Ex, Age of Empires III and so on.

In fact I would really apprieciate if any of you visited my website http://www.karlstech.com/. I just started it and will post articles daily about games, computers, tech, movies and post various links to sites I believe the population should visit. Going to create a registration soon enough as well but anyway, thanks guys for taking the time to read this! :)

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Watch Dogs. It's fun to explore and play the minigames but the main campaign is boring as hell. Even modding it to look nice wasn't enough to keep me interested. Quit after about 10 hours.