Games similar to Zelda (or Super Metroid / Metroid Prime)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Ok guys. I have asked this question before in a sense, but I am hoping I can find some new and helpful info out by having people put down every game they can possibly think of that has the same open world (not sandbox, but adventure) story based progression as Zelda games and most Metroid games. I REALLY miss games like this and am trying to find a new one to play.

All the games that fit this description that are worth looking into at least that I remember are...

Star Fox Adventures

Goemon 64

Castlevania Arria of Sorrow

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow

Okami

And to a lesser extent than the previous ones...

Batman Arkham Asylum (more actiony and sandboxy)

Batman Arkham City (more actiony and sandboxy)

Darksiders (more hack and slashy)

Banjo Kazooie (more like mario 64)

Banjo Tooie (More like Mario 64)

Donkey Kong 64 (More like Mario 64)

Hell, it could even be an platformer or RPG that has a similar feeling, such as Super Mario 64 or Paper Mario. That small hand crafted world with a great story and plenty of side stuff, that is unique and memorable rather than having thousands of repetitive sandbox quests.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

These are not really open world in the same sense as the collectathons of the N64, but they're similar to Super Metroid:

Gunlord: Classic Game Room's 2012 GOTY

Mega Turrican

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
Shadow Complex for the 360 immediately comes to mind. It has the same elements of Metroid in that the areas of the world you can access grows as you get tools throughout the game. The game also has that slight degree of freedom in it where exploring can lead to permanent character upgrades (more health, ammo capacity etc). The game structure and design is almost directly blood-related to Metroid but the gunplay is its own beast.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NaveedLife

Shadow Complex for the 360 immediately comes to mind. It has the same elements of Metroid in that the areas of the world you can access grows as you get tools throughout the game. The game also has that slight degree of freedom in it where exploring can lead to permanent character upgrades (more health, ammo capacity etc). The game structure and design is almost directly blood-related to Metroid but the gunplay is its own beast.Articuno76

I was going to buy that for PC but they cancelled it when the game was still in developement :(

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Cave Story +
IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

Similar to Castlevania and Metroid ? :
- Unepic (website lets you play the first few hours for free): Sidescroller. I think it's partially inspired by Castlevania and Metroid games. It's an RPG too, and I find its difficulty nice. Enough to be satisfying but not frustrating.
- Volgarr The VikingSidescroller. I guess it's inspired by old games. It's it's in Alpha right now, but looks really good.
- Secrets of Grindea: I think it's an Action adventure / RPG game. The way it looks reminds me of old Zelda games.

Similar to Zelda ? :
- The Witcher 2: I haven't played it yet, but some things I've heard about The Witcher 2 might fit what you want.
The quests being memorable (or at least open/with choices), the world looking handcrafted, and maybe a bit of the combat.
and you have swords on your back. Link has a sword on his back. !!!

- Demon's Souls, Dark Souls: Action adventure / RPG, but I guess more focused on fighting and beating enemies, not fetch quests and stuff. Also pretty challenging, but also rewarding (and, at least in Demon's Souls, I found the difficulty "fair" -- if I lost, I messed up)

Similar to Okami ? :
-Journey: I haven't played Okami or Journey, and I only say it because they both seem like pretty games where you adventure.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaveedLife

Similar to Castlevania and Metroid ? :
- Unepic (website lets you play the first few hours for free): Sidescroller. I think it's partially inspired by Castlevania and Metroid games. It's an RPG too, and I find its difficulty nice. Enough to be satisfying but not frustrating.
- Volgarr The VikingSidescroller. I guess it's inspired by old games. It's it's in Alpha right now, but looks really good.
- Secrets of Grindea: I think it's an Action adventure / RPG game. The way it looks reminds me of old Zelda games.

Similar to Zelda ? :
- The Witcher 2: I haven't played it yet, but some things I've heard about The Witcher 2 might fit what you want.
The quests being memorable (or at least open/with choices), the world looking handcrafted, and maybe a bit of the combat.
and you have swords on your back. Link has a sword on his back. !!!

- Demon's Souls, Dark Souls: Action adventure / RPG, but I guess more focused on fighting and beating enemies, not fetch quests and stuff. Also pretty challenging, but also rewarding (and, at least in Demon's Souls, I found the difficulty "fair" -- if I lost, I messed up)

Similar to Okami ? :
-Journey: I haven't played Okami or Journey, and I only say it because they both seem like pretty games where you adventure.

IcyToasters

Some good thoughts here no doubt, but just so you know, Okami is very similar to Zelda (with some big changes in certain aspects, but the core is the same) and I thought Journey was linear?

The Witcher 2 looks awesome, but more of an action RPG with a world that is somewhat open but not fully explorable later, meaning you cannot go back to old places (I dont think)

Demons Souls was ok, but Dark souls seems better. I bought it for PC and have a controller, so as soon as my MOBO gets repaired and back to me, I will know if I like it or not :).

Secrets of Grindea actually looks pretty awesome. I saw that on Greenlight the other day. Unepic has potential, I will need to try it out.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Castlevania SotN Shadow Complex Darksiders for Zelda-like experience.
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I'm a huge Zelda and Metroid fan. Since you like both of the games Skyrim has a similar first person adventure feel of Metroid. Dark Souls is awesome too it has a bit of Zelda's open world feel and gameplay. I liked bother of these games.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#10 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Both Darksiders and Okami are very Zelda like.

You should check out Mood Diver on psn. There is a demo for it. It's played like Contra SNES but up to 4 players and they all gain xp, gian new abilities and what not.

Also, buy Tomba! on psn. its a left to right platformer like old school Donkey Kong, but it has a open world if that makes sense. You find new weapons and items that helps you reach new areas and progresses the story like Zelda. It has all kinds of sidequests too. It's seriously a one of a kind game. If you don't mind the old graphics, buy it. Look it up on youtube.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

Like the previous poster said Castlevania SoN is VERY similar to Super Metroid. The same can be said for all 3 Castlevania games on the DS. Excellent games that are just like Super Metroid.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NaveedLife

I'm a huge Zelda and Metroid fan. Since you like both of the games Skyrim has a similar first person adventure feel of Metroid. Dark Souls is awesome too it has a bit of Zelda's open world feel and gameplay. I liked bother of these games.

jdc6305

I have Skyrim and enjoyed it a lot for about 50 hours, but then stopped. Thought about playing it again recently (though I probably wont), but cannot until i get my MOBO back.

I cant wait to try Dark Souls when my MOBO gets back :).

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

NaveedLife

I have Skyrim and enjoyed it a lot for about 50 hours, but then stopped. Thought about playing it again recently (though I probably wont), but cannot until i get my MOBO back.

I cant wait to try Dark Souls when my MOBO gets back :).

Another good one I almost forgot to mention is Dragons Dogma. If you get Dark Souls it's hard at first and has a steep learning curve. After you get past the first 3 or 4 hours you start to grasp the mechanics and it gets easyer. Also get the guide right from the start. I would have never beaten the game without it. Also there are tons of tips on youtube.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Metroid Fusion on the Game Boy Advance. Basically a condensed version of Super Metroid, which means all the good is in there which means...the entire time you play, it's fun. Castlevania Symphony of the Night. This is the Castlevania that was first like Metroid. Since you like Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64, I recommend the Jak and Daxter trilogy. Fun platformers with exploration on PS2 design level. Also Sly Cooper trilogy. They are cartoony stealth platformers.

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

Some good thoughts here no doubt, but just so you know, Okami is very similar to Zelda (with some big changes in certain aspects, but the core is the same) and I thought Journey was linear?

The Witcher 2 looks awesome, but more of an action RPG with a world that is somewhat open but not fully explorable later, meaning you cannot go back to old places (I dont think)

Demons Souls was ok, but Dark souls seems better. I bought it for PC and have a controller, so as soon as my MOBO gets repaired and back to me, I will know if I like it or not :).

Secrets of Grindea actually looks pretty awesome. I saw that on Greenlight the other day. Unepic has potential, I will need to try it out.

NaveedLife

Ah, I think I heard that about Okami! I haven't actually seen a lot for it.

Journey might be pretty linear. I want to play it but haven't so far. I get the impression it's got kind of open levels, or at least a feel that you have a huge open area.
I mostly just said it just because it seemed pretty (and Okami seems pretty too). hah

Not sure on The Witcher 2 having places you can backtrack.
I figured that you could. It might be like The Witcher 1 though (I need to beat the first before I play the second one!!), where you get a pretty big area that an "act" takes place, with lots of areas within it and maybe seperate levels you can get to, but then you might not be able to return to a completely separate area that a previous "act" took place in.
But still, it's at least semi-open so it could partially fit the bill!

Unepic was good from what I played of it -- I had some crashing problems, but other than that I didn't notice any huge issues with it.