LiamBeran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 LiamBeran
Member since 2021 • 30 Posts

Only I seem to like Half-Life in my friendgroup.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Only I seem to like Half-Life in my friendgroup.

That's weird for a highly acclaimed game series, Black Mesa was very hype last year as was the VR game.

I suppose pre-Gen5 no one on Gamespot community seemed to care about the Monster Hunter series despite getting near perfect reviews, positive fan reception, and selling millions of copies. Luckily most my friends and communities elsewhere enjoy the series even before World. Felt early 2000's and even in 2010's GS was very pro- Blizzard, EA, Bethesda and Activision; nothing else may as well exist. Very transparent community for the longest time, despite it having way more active users at the time.

---

Onto the question_

Mother Russia Bleeds, very flawed game but not even my friends that enjoy Bem'U games want anything to do with the game.

More recently Battle Axe but I think time may change that. More people just need to play the game for it to get a more positive reception.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Gotta go with turn-based console roguelikes like the Shiren the Wanderer series and Izuna. Tried getting a friend into Shiren and I guess it was too slow for him.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Gravel. Seemed to either get bashed for not being Dirt Rally, or not being Sega Rally. I enjoyed it for what it was, an arcade rally game with a sprinkling of sim sensibilities. Speaking of...

Dirt 5. They probably should have called it Dirt Showdown 2. But with the Rally spinoff having the sim angle so well covered, I think it made sense for the main series to get more over-the-top.

Override: Super Mech League. The first was overlooked to begin with, but the second alienated much of it's already small fan base for changing up some mechanics. I for one enjoy the faster paced fights, but do understand when people say the slower movement of the first game made it feel more like controlling an actual Kaiju robot.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Hmm, back then I was the only one in my group of friends who played Persona 3 and Persona 4, I tried so hard to convince them the greatness on Persona but nobody cared. Bit of backstory, We all played Persona 1 (maybe Persona 2 as well) but all of us dont really like the gameplay so many of us dropped it. So when Persona 3 released I was hooked with SMT: Digital Devil Saga (another fking masterpiece nobody plays) so when I saw the moniker "SMT" on Persona I just grab the copy and buy. One of the best decision I ever made, bought all edition of the game and finished them all at least twice (PSP edition FeMC is best route).

- - - -

@RSM-HQ:eh I disagree, only MH4U got great reviews all around pre world. If I recall all other MH games pre 4 scored around 5-7 here and back then Gamespot forum is linked with Gamefaqs. Gamefaqs users can reply on post made by Gamespot users but Gamefaqs post cannot be seen on Gamespot (idk why). There was a lot of discussion over on gamefaqs regarding the games and there used to be a few union for the series here.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
@sakaixx said:

@RSM-HQ:eh I disagree, only MH4U got great reviews all around pre world. If I recall all other MH games pre 4 scored around 5-7 here

When I state the games have near perfect reviews I never associate that purely from Game Spot, who frankly I have called 'clowns' for a review and preview standpoint. Even outside Monster Hunter this is the site that was roasting D00M IV as a bad game while praising Fall Out 4 as the best thing to come to gaming. .

Loading Video...

If you call that an eye for quality you are on your own. . (you may notice more people disliked Game Spots impressions for D00M IV than liked too)

Back onto MH. Portable 2nd received 9.5 and 8.5 elsewhere and that was a 2nd generation entry. One would even state the first must have MH game, and many bought a PSP just to play that game.

We've talked before and am aware you are very vocally against the handheld entries, though it cannot be ignored that the series did not get the following and reputation it had from being a bad series. It was/is enjoyed well before Gen4, ever evolving, sure some aspects did not improve for the better (swimming/ weapon arts) but overall the series is well received. And the infamous bad port of Gen3 to Wii was bad. Even then I would state you are misinformed. Even if the Game Spot bubble only cared for Mass Effect and Fall Out 3 at the time, MH was doing well. It's just now doing even better.

And sure I'll agree Generation 4 was a big upgrade for the Monster Hunter series but the same could be stated from many on-going franchises.

Before deeming Game Spot as law though. Worth noting. This is the same site that literally had its Monster Hunter 'fan' go on a tantrum about Iceborne's Alatreon in a blog deeming it unplayable.

here was a lot of discussion over on gamefaqs regarding the games and there used to be a few union for the series here.

GFAQ was pretty good for Monster Hunter in some aspect but always found it holding some of the worst for the player-base. I played a few times with a few people on the old boards, including games such as Armored Core, Tekken, and Souls.

I dropped GFAQ like a bad habit because it is now just about troIIing. And I want nothing to do with that.

----

As for Game Spot having a handful of people enjoying that game it is true but too few and rarely was any of them active outside review comments. Active users on the site had very different opinions for the series. Ever since joining I've brought up Monster Hunter and had namely been reacted with distaste. Never minded when users state "never heard of it" though that was not the general note, it was usually mocking the game in some way that showed users never gave the series a chance.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@RSM-HQ: while I agree on gamespot inconsistent reviews, the point regarding nobody cares about MH here in gamespot community I disagree. Game might be scoring bad pre MH4 here but there was active discussions within the game specific board due to Gamespot connection with Gamefaqs board. The problem with MH4u to world lack of massive discussion is because Gamefaqs board is no longer connected to here, so all games discussion is deleted or achived somehwere and this forum dying after 2013 redesign. The game specific board is gone, now many that stayed is for system wars.

While I am very vocal against handheld MH. I myself started on PSP and enjoyed it. I just think the series must move on from hardware limitations.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
@sakaixx said:

@RSM-HQ: while I agree on gamespot inconsistent reviews, the point regarding nobody cares about MH here in gamespot community I disagree.

I'lll agree those words I wrote are an over-exaggeration on my end for sure, I will not deny that, MH had a fandom of some sort even here on GS. Though it was an easily dismiss series by majority. I'm still salty after all these years with people calling Monster Hunter a World of Warcraft clone though, lol. Pre World someone called it an Evolve clone as well. .

Game might be scoring bad pre MH4 here but there was active discussions within the game specific board due to Gamespot connection with Gamefaqs board.

Even then I would state those that would associate with the GFAQ board preferred to be separate from Game Spot users in my experience. Then again back then Game Spot active users didn't really use the forums but instead just commented on every article and review and that is how they had the bulk of conversations. Some seem to try and continue that tradition. Even I comment every now and then but typically do not enjoy talking with majority that crowd.

GFAQ in 2021 is just a mess and worse than it has ever been. I tried having a few conversations for Rise, Village, and Streets of Rage 4 and they turn ugly immediately.

While I am very vocal against handheld MH. I myself started on PSP and enjoyed it. I just think the series must move on from hardware limitations.

I understand your point of view though I do enjoy when developers make the most of those limitations and look less at power and more at moving a game forward in other areas. The jump from just Gen 3 and Gen 4 was big, not graphically, though in areas that matter in my view. And that was all on the same hardware.

4K isn't going to make MH better after all. Though I will buy whatever the main team is likely working on for the current generation big bois. Have no issue with buying stronger hardware but always found the argument of "holding gaming back" for majority of games, to be false, it's what people state to belittle other gaming alternatives.

Astro Playroom for as much as Iiked that 2020 game, was very possible on a PS4. And Crysis didn't make shooters better than ever back in the day, it was just shinier. Development has a focus on what they spend time with and fund.

Againstcurent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Againstcurent
Member since 2021 • 147 Posts

some game I played when I was a child ,likes Plants vs Zombies,Millionaire ,many people liked and played them,but I still play and like it now

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Management and "factory" games. Games like Factorio, Satisfactory, Two Point Hospital, and so on.

I know people play these games because they have a very strong but humble following, I just don't know anyone that does, either in real life or on here.

Also sims. Like real sims. DCS World and Uboat and so on.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

It's hard to say. If I was to think of one genre that the majority of my friends who play games aren't into specifically, I'd say JRPG's. They're more of a single player experience anyway. Think they're kind of turned off by a lot of the Japanese/Anime clichés that come along with it at times.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Nobody I know seems to like turn based strategy games or co-op RPGs

LiamBeran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LiamBeran
Member since 2021 • 30 Posts

@vagrantsnow:

I actually enjoy Strategy games its a could way for the brain to keep in focus

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

JRPGs that has a simple storyline and great gameplay. Games like Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and Golden Sun 1 and 2 are games that I could replay over and over again without getting bored.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Remember Me 2013.

Loading Video...

Invonition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Invonition
Member since 2021 • 23 Posts

@vagrantsnow: JA2 is my favourate game of all time.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (the Xbox 360 version). It had a lot of problems, but it was still a blast to play. The Story mode was OK and the online play was really fun. Moreover, it had some of the best levels the Tony Hawk series has ever had. It was one of the best 360 launch titles, in my view.

Vaativids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vaativids
Member since 2021 • 337 Posts

The Forest

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@speeny said:

It's hard to say. If I was to think of one genre that the majority of my friends who play games aren't into specifically, I'd say JRPG's. They're more of a single player experience anyway. Think they're kind of turned off by a lot of the Japanese/Anime clichés that come along with it at times.

@omegamaster said:

JRPGs that has a simple storyline and great gameplay. Games like Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and Golden Sun 1 and 2 are games that I could replay over and over again without getting bored.

Pretty much both of these. None of my friends in real life play JRPG's or the majority of the stuff that I play. I'm like the only person I know that plays and will continue to play the Persona games. The average gamer is really casual only playing COD, NBA 2K, maybe a fighting game here or there, or whatever had a cool commercial. My tastes are pretty niche.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts
@valgaav_219 said:
@speeny said:

@omegamaster said:

Pretty much both of these. None of my friends in real life play JRPG's or the majority of the stuff that I play. I'm like the only person I know that plays and will continue to play the Persona games. The average gamer is really casual only playing COD, NBA 2K, maybe a fighting game here or there, or whatever had a cool commercial. My tastes are pretty niche.

I can relate to this. Of all the people I have met, not met a single person that loves the JRPG genre (that excludes Pokemon). I feel JRPG's are underrated or underappreciated in this day and age. Pretty much all of the people I have met are mainstream gamers, except I am different.

The average gamer sees JRPG's as weird. I could go on an name some niche titles that 90% of the gaming demographic have never played

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

Blood Bowl. Football with Orcs, Elves, Dwarves and other fantasy races. Turn based with RPG style skill progression.