Game requlation: How is this fair again?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mathew952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 mathew952
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

Game regulation:

Games are this evil devil spawn, that ruin lives and families. If even one person dies from games, Jack Thompson Revs up the tard-mobile, and gets up on his moral high horse ( which is contradictory to the fact he is a corporate lawyer), and starts saying "Bu bu bu he owned an NES and played contra once and teh trauma and please give me attention NOW".

But what about that kid who jumped over the side of a boat because he wanted to see spongebob?Do we ever look at the fact almost all americans own a television? Their were a total of 110 million PS2s sold WORLD WIDE, not counting replacements. Their are 300 million americans, plus the fact a television is about 100 bucks, whereas a game system is 300 bucks plus games. But most every home has a television set.Why is it that games are the problem, when we have3 or 4,24-hour news channels. Why is it fine for all of the world, children included, to hear and see carnage from Iraq? Why is ok for a 12 year old to watch:

• Health report: The sun gives you cancer,so does sunscreen, and if you don't go out side you get depresseddue to vitamin D deficency.
  • Iraq: 27 people were killed today in a carbombing, all of them are vegtables, they will never be senteint again, blah blah, disembodied limbs balh blah, Internal organs splatered every where.
  • Carcarshes every where, people are being burned alive, and4 people are dieingslowlybecause the ambulance can't get to the hospital.
  • A ladycrashed into a lake and 12 newborns died due to the carseats.
  • A newdisease that makes your brain slam into your skulluntilyou die of internal bleeding was just discovered.
  • DEATH DEATH DIE DIE BLOOD CANCERMAIM RIP TEAR!!!!!!! GLOBAL WARMING!!!!! NUKES!!!!!
  • Enzyte comercial.

How doesour culture justfiy that? Howdo we say that its ok to see all of that, with out being told that their might be blood and gore? How is it ok to go from a story about hot dogs, to a story about Iraq and seeing blood and gorewithin 2 seconds,with no control over it,but some how: paying 60 dollars, having a clerkcheck your ID, seeing big ESRB ratings plastered all over the box, and voluntarily letting your Xbox load the game for 2 minutes, and deciding of you own free will to play it, is worse, and is morally wrong.

So we know that TV sin't perfect. But neither is music. We allowour teens to listen hour long loops about doing drugs, cutting your self, death, andrape, drive bys, and howmuch every thing sucks. But we don't care about that.

We have fear mongers from all walks of life, telling you about how we're all going to die, roaming the media.

So why is it that games are seen as this sort of bad egg.

Which brind me to my next point: WTF is the difference between AO and M? None, they're almost carbon copies of each other, worded differently. Who gives these ratings: ESRB.But ESRB is nothing more than a group of normal people. and for some reason, the opinions of that gruop of 10 is then the law for all the retailers.Wouldn't make more sense to use people who are experts in Game design, or at least gamers?Nope. And they don't even PLAY the games. They watch some footage look at some screenshots, and make a general idea. So A games rating just depends on the trailers and camera work. Aint that dandy? So why should a panel of people who don't game, who don't even PLAY the game, decide to dole out the Censor of AO. They say they don't do that, but giving an AO rating effectively bans a game from all the major retailers, and removes it from being Console published.

HostileEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 HostileEffect
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts
I don't think I really understood your post but I think I agree that people need to suck it up and quit crying. This world is full of weak people that are so scared of dying that they will do ANYTHING to stay alive. Recent world events kind of reflects this.

Its hard to keep this post on-topic.

People don't want to take blame for their own actions... If I said anymore then I would probably hijack this thread and turn it into a religion thread. Really, people need to lighen up on games...
mathew952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 mathew952
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

My main point is that:

We treat games as if they are worse than other forms of media, but they really arent, and that Jack thompson ate paint chips as a kid.

Coldplay07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Coldplay07
Member since 2002 • 4513 Posts
I don't watch the news for that exact reason. When I have kids I won't want them watching it.
ehDawGeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ehDawGeh
Member since 2004 • 964 Posts
wow you spent all that time writing that.....anyway, movies and music are censored as well, it's not just videogames. plus, videogames are much more interactive, which makes it justified to be a bit more strict with this form of media.
Clan_Crushbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Clan_Crushbone
Member since 2007 • 1501 Posts
Video games are a lot newer than most other forms of media. Movies/books/comics/music etc have all gone through this mediation and regulation before. Just need to keep proving video games arent ''evil devil spawn'' as you say. Im not to worried about it, eventually the media will realize video games arent any worse than books, movies or television.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#7 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

the only reason i can think of is because people might look at violent games as a way of "venting" anger, something which has been shown to make people more violent.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts
Vidoegames are considered bad because they are new and people are afraid of them. Once more people start to understand that games are form of entertainment just like movies or music, this problem will disappear.
Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#9 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts
Ya its true, you can watch CNN for an hour and see just as much violence than you can in most games... if you ask me, there are some movies which are way more violent than any game.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c417b73d1ba4
deactivated-5c417b73d1ba4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 deactivated-5c417b73d1ba4
Member since 2003 • 5236 Posts

the only reason i can think of is because people might look at violent games as a way of "venting" anger, something which has been shown to make people more violent.

BuryMe

But that really makes no sense, because if I vent my anger, then I'm not angry anymore. Imagine if we had no vents and all we could ever do was bottle up everything we feel all day, every day until we snap and go on a killing frenzy. :P

The only ones who kill because of video games had problems before they ever touched a controller, and they'd have done what they did regardless, it was only a matter of time.