Gobernockles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gobernockles
Member since 2016 • 7 Posts

I have had many discussions with my girlfriend over whether I have technically completed a video game or not. We both have very different views on who is right on this matter. She feels that a game is not completed until all collectibles and side missions for the game are complete. But if that's the case, then the trophies for each game must be complete as well. My personal views for completion is completing the main story mode of the game. Most video games now a days have so much extra stuff incorporated that sometimes I feel it would take months to get 100% completion. Looking for others thoughts on this matter.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@gobernockles: Off-Topic is for non-gaming discussion, so your thread has been moved to Games Discussion.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

I feel a game is completed when I get bored of it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

A games completion and (a) ending are two different achievements.

Ending/s equal closure from the gameplay and story point-of-view. If credits role? Chances are it's the/ or one possible ending.

Completion however, by its very definition is summed up as 'particular process finished with no loose ends'. As in, you've taken care of additional tasks the game added as 'bonus content'.

You still get satisfaction for reaching those credits, and if that's enough for you? No shame in bowing out at the credits. Infact completing games, 'depending on the game' can take away the joy of playing and turn into a chore. However, that is what completion is. I don't consider this debatable to be honest.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4230 Posts

I don't feel it is necessary to 100% a game to say that you've completed the game. There are a lot of Easter eggs and secrets that go unnoticed for decades. Take super Mario world and Mike Tyron's punch out.

I feel like whenever I get to finish the game and I've done enough challenges, I've completed my missions. But that's only my view.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#6 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I don't need to play a game 100% in order to feel like got the full experience.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

It's very rare that I'll 100% a game. Why anyone would care about collecting stupid feathers in ass creed is beyond me. There's too many other games waiting for me to start. I say once the credits roll, it's done.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Agreed. You don't need to 100% a game to complete it.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I guess you could say that once you've finished the main story you've "beat" the game and 100% completion can be defined as "completed"?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I agree with you over the gf. 100% is a different thing from "finishing" a game. There have been few games I have ever 100%ed. I usually can't do it - I don't care about finding that random kitten in a tree. The game's done when I'm done with it - which usually is not too long after the main and major side objectives are done. The super menial stuff is usually an "as needed" or "if it tickles my fancy" thing. This is, incidentally, why I think I enjoyed da:I more than some - I simply ignored 75% of the boring fetch quests

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm on your girlfriend's side here. Completing a game means getting everything. I personally don't count trophies though.

Why waste all that great content? I personally try to rush through the campaign so that I can focus on the game itself. Most great games are far better after the credits roll.

Almost every Nintendo game and The Batman Arkham games are great examples of games that excel after the story is done. These are generally the games I like the most.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58315 Posts

Nah, completing a game is when you finish the main story. I disagree with your girlfriend I guess. With that said, the game may be complete, but it does not mean you are finished. I completed Skyrim's main story pretty on, but it's world is filled with rich side missions that span many many quests that provide both good story, loot, experience, and exotic locales.

Collectibles are just incentive to play more; imo they don't really count as the base game, as they don't really contribute anything to it except pointless (but sometimes fun) exercises. I feel they are just put in there by unpaid interns working at the company to provide some reason to keep customers playing a game they'd normally uninstall.

Not a big fan of collectibles/achievements/etc, personally. Side missions are cool if they provide some reason to go (such as a story, equipment, or stuff like that).

@Pikminmaniac said:

I'm on your girlfriend's side here. Completing a game means getting everything. I personally don't count trophies though.

Why waste all that great content? I personally try to rush through the campaign so that I can focus on the game itself. Most great games are far better after the credits roll.

Almost every Nintendo game and The Batman Arkham games are great examples of games that excel after the story is done. These are generally the games I like the most.

It is rarely that great, though, and more often than not leads to frustrating repetition. You're telling me I didn't finish a game because I didn't spend 10 hours and 1000 attempts to jump on this one platform that leads to some glowing token that doesn't do anything? Doesn't unlock any lore, or concept art, or anything of that nature?

You did cite a couple good, rare examples of games doing "extra" content well; Arkham games do provide quite a lot of non-campaign content that actually provides the player with some reward.

In the past I would say "Play the game for the game's sake" but now I feel like I need some other form of motivation lol. I think I'm getting old, I want my games to motivate me to play; gone are the days where I'd just jump in and hunt some random thing for the hell of it :(

Leon-Strife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 385

User Lists: 2

#13 Leon-Strife
Member since 2016 • 490 Posts

@Yams1980: second that

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

I usually try to get all single player achievements (because I care little about multiplayer), which are usually a good indication that I've 'seen' everything. I'd say I'm somewhere in-between getting to the ending and 100% a game. Getting to the ending is usually not enough for me, but 100% a game is often too tedious and can end up being frustrating. With some platformers for example, I usually don't bother going for the 'no deaths' achievement, because I know I'm not actually going to have fun with that.

Anyway, for me it's much more about having seen it than actually achieving it. For example, I got all the achievements for Dark Souls, but that was simply because I looked a lot of that stuff up. Odd as it may seem, that didn't diminish my enjoyment at all. I can now safely say I've seen everything in that game and I never have to play it again. ;-P Similarly, in Fallout 4, I had found 17 of the 20 bobbleheads after I had basically explored the entire map. I then simply looked up where the other 3 bobbleheads were (which turned out to be at places I had already been, but where I missed them). I suppose I should still play some companion side quests (I only played one), but I can't be bothered, because I don't like traveling with companions and I've pretty much sucked that game dry to the point that I can't play it anymore.

In short: when it comes to collectibles and other missable content, I try to be as thorough as I can during my first playthrough, but after that I feel no shame in simply looking up the rest and doing one more playthrough with guides to sweep up any missed content.

So yeah, it's completed when you feel it's completed.

sam_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sam_p
Member since 2015 • 16 Posts

Agree with a few of the above, you don't need to 100% a game to feel as if you've completed it.

For me, once I've done the final mission/quest/whatever, I consider the game "complete". It's rare I'll go after the collectibles and what have you unless I really enjoy the game.