For the people who play survival horror...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

redmangoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 redmangoose
Member since 2006 • 397 Posts

...were any of you guys scared ****less at thought of doing so prior to your first horror game?

Like me, I get scared easily and I just recently started playing Dead Space, my first survival horror, cause
I heard it was a pretty solid game with an interesting story.
Did you guys naturally adapt to it? Cause as someone that's naturally jumpy when it comes to these
things, I want to know how much longer and I can keep this up(I'm on Ch.2) and whether I should play
other horror games(I've taken in interest in RE series, for the story of course).

Do you think survival horror is something only for those who can stand it?
Or can everyone eventually get used to it with experience?

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
I guess everyone deals with the horror element differently, I've got a friend who's played quite a few horror games, but he still craps himself when he sees the smallest of scary things.
TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
Nah, wasn't too scared with Resident Evil 2. Apart from that, the only 'survival horror' games I've played were the Onimusha games and there you're so strong it's only a matter of survival for the zombies and demons you slaughter in the dozens.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts
yes, I know how to make it scary for me it starts by waiting until everyone else is asleep to start playing, then I crank up the surround sound, or use headphones so I'm more immersed, lights off, no XBL party chat with friends to distract me, nobody around watching me play to distract me, they ease the tension and I don't want that, no music playing in background, no distractions basically, just me and the game anyhow, my first survival horror game was Alone in the Dark on PC many many years ago, I didn't think I'd get scared playing that, thought never occurred to me, but one day in the middle of it I did get scared playing it, but enjoyed being scared, by today's standards it is totally tame but then not so much, I think the violent thunder and lightning outside helped though
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

...were any of you guys scared ****less at thought of doing so prior to your first horror game?

Like me, I get scared easily and I just recently started playing Dead Space, my first survival horror, cause
I heard it was a pretty solid game with an interesting story.
Did you guys naturally adapt to it? Cause as someone that's naturally jumpy when it comes to these
things, I want to know how much longer and I can keep this up(I'm on Ch.2) and whether I should play
other horror games(I've taken in interest in RE series, for the story of course).

Do you think survival horror is something only for those who can stand it?
Or can everyone eventually get used to it with experience?

redmangoose
lol, way to just jump into it with a game like this, you'll eventually get numb to it, but it'll still be somewhat tense there has been times I had to stop playing games because I couldn't stand being terrified all the time though, had to give it a break, but I'll always come back, sometimes quite willingly and other times reluctantly
Smug_Duckling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Smug_Duckling
Member since 2011 • 333 Posts
I'm playing Dead Space for the first time also. Scary games used to give me horrible anxiety. I remember being too scared to play Doom 3 when I first got it. Now I'm more captivated by the action, I'm almost too focused to be scared.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

I wasn't particularly scared of my first survival horror game...but then again, my first survival horror game was the first 'modern' survival horror game (Alone in the Dark, 1992), and I guess I was too young to even think it was scary. I used to really love zombies and werewolves as a kid, so I always thought it was pretty cool. :P

Nowadays I'm just too desensitised to horror games to be scared by them, with a few exceptions (like Thief 3's Cradle, or Amnesia).

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

After some time, I did not feel fear from Dead Space. I was bussy fight off the nercomorphs to feel scared. There were some jack in the box moments.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'm not a person who's easily scared. I enjoy survival horror because it creates a tense atmosphere, and that tension keeps my interest.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
While you may get a little tougher to them, meaning you get scared but not to the point where you throw the controller away and run screaming out of the room, there are always games that will make you do just that regardless of how many you've played. Amnesia : The Dark Descent has already scared the bejebus out of me and I don't think I've gone halfways through it yet, Dead Space also scared me a bunch of times when I first played it.
XCNormX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 XCNormX
Member since 2010 • 466 Posts

I've been playing survival horror games for awhile and there is games that'll still freak me out. It seems like developers are stepping it up adding all kinds of new elements and features to freak ya out....and it works haha. Now I'm not really scared of any game...I use to be when I was younger but not anymore, but like I said I do get a little freaked on certain games with certain parts. Which I don't know if it's just me but F.E.A.R. 1&2 flipped me out sometimes. But I got use to it.

I'm more freaked out and scared about spiders then I am with any video game.

ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts

The only recent game that really scared me was Dead Space, and that was the first time I ran through it at 3 am with all the lights in the house turned off. The second and third times were more me just blasting away baddies. I can't wait for Dead Space 2 though!

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

The last game i played that actually scared me was Resident Evil 1, the long hallway where out of nowhere the dog's jump through the window. Since then, no horror game has scared me, some have gave me a nice unexpected jump but not scared me. But part of the reason could be resident Evil 1 was the first of it's kind and i was like 12 when i played it.

yuri19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yuri19
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts

yeah im the same jayQ. My first survival horror was playing Resi 1 round my uncles house when i was 10. That brief cutscene of the zombie turning round and the dog hallway will haunt me till i die. Horrors games today do not really scare me at all, i dont think i was scared once through dead space. But strangely if i play the original resi it still makes me uneasy, it is as if i get "nostalgia fear" if there is such a thing.

MrSolvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrSolvo
Member since 2011 • 101 Posts
I think everyone can get used to horror games, but I think you kind of have to have a little mental toughness to deal with the more psychological games out there. Some games can really mess with your head. I usually just take a non-serious approach to horror games and laugh at them most of the time.