Final Fantasy 13: Lighting Returns Battle System

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Here is a video explaining it. Impressed?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/01/23/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-battle-system

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I downloaded the demo for the 360 but haven't tried it yet. Regardless this is an automatic purchase for me as I really enjoyed the first two games and I want to see how this storyline turns out.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Last_Ride

@Archangel3371 said:

I downloaded the demo for the 360 but haven't tried it yet. Regardless this is an automatic purchase for me as I really enjoyed the first two games and I want to see how this storyline turns out.

same here, i actually thought the secone was the better one tbh

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

After playing the second, I think I will skipped it.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I liked the first game. I have liked it less and less with time, but it wasn't bad at all.

I despised the second game, it was a mess. It was boring, and much of the changes they made were actually for the worse. I didn't like the non-linearity, I didn't like the grindy nature of things, I didn't like the time mechanic, (which seemed like a convenient excuse to heavily recycle the exact same handful of assets over and over) I always despise any mechanic that involves capturing and utilizing monsters in battle by default, and the enemies just poofing into existence became incredibly aggravating in the end game and some of the narrow areas where they just keep spawning in right on top of me, dragging into me into constant long and repetitive fights against typical JRPG end game damage sponges.

It was death by paper cut, just a thousand flaws adding up until I couldn't stand it anymore.

Lightning Returns looks like nothing but a vehicle for fan service DLC so they can squeeze a few extra bucks out of their very poorly aging Crystal Engine that they wasted far too much time and money making during the disastrous development cycle of the original FFXIII.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

not sure about this... i haven't had much fun in FF since X. but yet I keep buying them hoping to find something good.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

Doubt I'll get this. I've never cared about the character of Lightning or the world and lore of FFXIII, so I don't see why I should get interested in this.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I agree with Randolph, the first game wasn't so bad, but the second one was a nightmare that I didn't finish. I suppose I should get back to it though before I play the third.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

would i have to play the first 2 to understand this game? I just saw some gameplay footage and I am very intrigued. Looks pretty cool to me.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Not reading not spoiling anything!

I just finished 13-2 which I enjoyed. I would of played it sooner but I forgot it existed. It's good in a way cause i'm still fresh to it in my memory for the follow up.

Shame I think Sarah has grown on me more then ligntning... Would prefer "Serah returns" just cause she's not as obvious a hero as Lightning, and the way she was starting to shape up, until zomg she deads!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Last_Ride

@Evil_Saluki said:

Not reading not spoiling anything!

I just finished 13-2 which I enjoyed. I would of played it sooner but I forgot it existed. It's good in a way cause i'm still fresh to it in my memory for the follow up.

Shame I think Sarah has grown on me more then ligntning... Would prefer "Serah returns" just cause she's not as obvious a hero as Lightning, and the way she was starting to shape up, until zomg she deads!

It was a big cliffhanger for sure

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

I'll get it when it's cheap. Final Fantasy games are still better than a million jrpg the industry churns from time to time. It has

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Last_Ride

@gamingqueen said:

I'll get it when it's cheap. Final Fantasy games are still better than a million jrpg the industry churns from time to time. It has

True, but there are still other great JRPG's out there, like Ni No Kuni and Persona 4 Golden. Hell even Pokemon is awesome

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@gamingqueen said:

True, but there are still other great JRPG's out there, like Ni No Kuni and Persona 4 Golden. Hell even Pokemon is awesome

Oh I lovwe Ni No Kuni! was crying towards the end because I didn't want it to end! But how often do we get jrpgs as good as Ni No Kuni?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Last_Ride

@gamingqueen said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@gamingqueen said:

Oh I lovwe Ni No Kuni! was crying towards the end because I didn't want it to end! But how often do we get jrpgs as good as Ni No Kuni?

We got Tales of Xillia aswell, but yeah you are right that we don't get a lot of them

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16  Edited By Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I played the demo and tried out the battle system. It has a lot of potential, but I don't like the idea of a game that forces you to rush through it because of time becoming a factor against you. I'd rather take my time with a role-playing game than having to worry about beating the clock. I'm sure that there are ways to make time be in your favor though. I'll have to rent it.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I played the demo for 13-2 and 13-3. I want really hard to get into it but it just feels like I am going through linear corridors constantly. I still say to myself I should give it a chance and that it probably would be cheap to start with the first anyways.