GameTrep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 GameTrep
Member since 2019 • 3 Posts

Big ol' discussion about this in my local gaming group, I want to try and get some ammo about what people really like rather than what the loudest person in our group claims to know what everyone wants lol.

Seems like our group is split between hardcore nostalgia and some wanting things that are so innovative it might be impossible with the current tech.

Questions below that when combined between everyone should have some insights to what we all want as a community.

Google form is best for organizing but even if you reply here I will enter it over into the questionnaire.

(Google Form Questionnaire) https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeSU53C5uS3THFz1zvZscoARu5UJfi-Zk8X4YJ8nwdGR7oEUQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

1. Whats your favorite RPG?

2. What did you really like about that game?

3. What did you dislike about that game?

4. What would've made that RPG even better?

5. What kind of things do you wish more RPGs did or had more of?

6. Describe your dream RPG:

Here is mine so far:

1. Whats your favorite RPG? Skyrim

2. What did you really like about that game? It was incredibly immersive and had really huge scale, at least for the time it came out.

3. What did you dislike about that game? Pretty buggy sometimes

4. What would've made that RPG even better? More impact on the world from your choices, like Nords vs Imperials sounded amazing but was meh. Coulda been alot better IMO

5. What kind of things do you wish more RPGs did or had more of? That your decisions actually change the world more noticeably or more RPG with strategy elements.

6. Describe your dream RPG: Maybe something like Skyrim but you have a world war going on that you help make decisions for and the AI fights it out as you take down key objectives, win strategic territory, etc. Probably an RPG-RTS Hybrid that is more RPG though.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts
@gametrep said:

If this includes Action RPGs? Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is likely my favorite now. Finally took 4G crown for me.

*shout-out to Makai Senki Disgaea: Refine, Deus Ex, Suikoden IV, Divinity: Original Sin II, Dark Souls III, and Chrono Trigger. Other RPGs I adore_

Excellent level design, second to none enemy A.I., extreme replayability, great coop experience, plenty of variety to experiment and play your way, also just fun 'jolly' world to game-in. Many have tried mimicking MH, and they're all second rate in comparison.

MH overall is clearly made by people who want to make fun and enjoyable games. And Iceborne reflects that heavily.

Unskippable cutscenes, and the way that damages multiplayer before end-game content. Gets a tad tedious when wanting to jump-in with friends to slap a returning monster for ol'time sake.

(Namely from my experience with World on P.C.) feel the SOS can be a clutch against good Hunters teaming with lazy hunters that tend to hide at the camp. Feel in future the quest should penalize hunter(s) that don't participate. If people don't want to play the game, perhaps don't buy/ play it. . I dunno, these players are pretty annoying and very ungrateful.

Let's be real, someone at Capcom wants to tell stories so the cutscenes are very intentional, and Capcom can only do so much to fix a people problem (SOS). So_

Moar monsters, moar maps. Less focus on 'character development' cutscenes; keep it about the monsters.

Hmm, I dunno? As mentioned above MH is not something that can be copied without seemingly souless and an inferior product. MH is a series that has evolved and grown for over a decade. The team really does its own things, and plays its own rules. The best games do this and evolve.

Just look at Monster Hunter: Online and MHX, inferior games because it's different teams with lacking the vision and passion.

Rip-offs Dauntless, Toukiden, and God Eater are also in the mix chasing someone else's quality and not doing it justice. Horizon Zero Dawn also began development as a MH clone and changed cause once they realised it was a lost cause to be on par. I respect that they did that but sandbox shooters is quite a fleeting genre at this point.

I think any game (let alone an RPG) can be great so long as they're focusing on the game being a fun time towards the 'intended' demographic, they should make games they want to actually play themselves. Inspiration is good but copy-cats rarely stay alive, just look at Resi-clone Dead Space series. They barely counted to three. .

Many rival companies focus on making as much money as possible, and that's why Anthem, Battlefront 2 and Fall Out 76 exist. Knowing these games are shallow and lifeless so focus towards marketing campaigns convincing easily persuaded buyers its a better product than it actually is.

Don't dream of such things. Just want games that are fun, and to have depth. Not stupid narratives and focus on state-of-the-art graphics. They are welcome so long as the game, is a fun and great game first. Otherwise don't waste my time_

I expect MH to continue evolving and being better so long as the main team is developing it. Look forward to all the events in Iceborne and the next one; whether it be a portable entry or otherwise.

GameTrep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 GameTrep
Member since 2019 • 3 Posts

Nice, gonna add that into the survey, I havent played MHW yet but it does look really cool, by your description I think I will have to give it a shot.

Also for those who havent taken the survey and may want to see some of the other responses here are some not counting RSM-HQ's yet :)

Sample of Responses so far:

1. Earthbound (1 vote)

2. Finally Fantasy 7 (1 vote)

3. Legend of Grimrock II (1 vote)

4. Pathfinder kingmaker with turnbased mod (1 vote)

5. Skyrim (2 votes)

6. Ultima IV: Quest…(1 vote)

1. How the game immerses the player into his character and how it makes him think about what's right and wrong before every action, its open world exploration, non-linearity, and quests with multiple solutions, its keyword-based dialogue system, its simulationistic approach to gameplay and world-building, its (rather subtle) plot about self-responsibility, discovery, and the desire for suffering and conflict of the modern era (distress is necessary!), and its commentary about striving for a higher standard in computer role-playing games (to become "a shining example that there is more to life than the endless struggle for possessions and gold!").

2. It was incredibly immersive and had really huge scale, at least for the time it came out.

3. Amount of skills and customization

4. The dungeon crawling & puzzles

5. The characters

6. Openness to user-made content and the overall gameplay (dialogue system, the combat controls, etc)

7. The story, primarily.

1. The game has many problems, many of which were addressed in Ultima V... But mostly its combat which is too easy and repetitive, and that awful level-scaling that makes random encounters even more tedious the bigger the party is.

2. Pretty buggy sometimes

3. Event and quest triggers are bugged

4. Its difficulty is wildly variable despite being non-linear

5. the mobility

6. Buggyness and lack of consequences

7. Inventory management

1. I would like some better customization options (more differences between the different classes, more useful stats, etc.).

2. More impact on the world from your choices, like Nords vs Imperials sounded amazing but was meh. Coulda been alot better IMO

3. Turn based mod made it better, I would also play the longer game

4. Better difficulty balance

5. better skill descriptions

6. More fleshed out npcs and storylines, more consequences, more openness to player choices, AI that can climb after you.

7. Either unlimited inventory or a better teleport system.

1. Hidden karma meters. Do not show them next to the character's stats, ffs.

2. That your decisions actually change the world more noticeably or more RPG with strategy elements.

3. Extensive character creators that impact the gameplay

4. More sandbox RPGs. Less story, more gameplay & freedom

5. creative stories

6. Consequences, mods

7. More interesting combat. So far I feel like Square-Enix is the only company really trying something new in the realm of combat.

1. I already did.

2. Maybe something like Skyrim but you have a world war going on that you help make decisions for and the AI fights it out as you take down key objectives, win strategic territory, etc. Probably an RPG-RTS Hybrid that is more RPG though.

3. Wizardry 8 with modern graphics and even more character options while having mass effecting mystery storyline

4. Elder Scrolls on the scale of Mount & Blade. Make everything interactible, offer complete freedom in how you do everything, and make sure everything can be tweaked with mods.

5. an rpg where you have diversified party members and you don’t have to juggle between them, unique different weapons,interesting and story and side quests that are related to it, good mobility, hard battles, enemies with interesting designs, different soundtracks,great character development, the ability to romance anybody (with certain limits) and have it effect the story, rewards for skill demanding accomplishment,different choices, rich world map, engaging dialogue,decent humor,large archive, customization, logical leveling system,and a fast paced gameplay

6. Shin Megami Tensei /A Legend of Heroes hybrid. All the depth and world building of A Legend of Heroes with the hopelessness and desolace of SMT. Also, SMT music.