Favorite JRPGS of all time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MarsLumo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 MarsLumo88
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hi so I put a list of my favorite JRPGS of all time the other day and decided that there are six that for me are simply above all of the rest out there.

1. Chrono Trigger

2. Xenogears

3. Final Fantasy VI

4. Final Fantasy VII

5. Suikoden 2

6. Final Fantasy IV

What do you guys think about these games and which order would you put them in of your favorite. Also if you haven't really played most or any of these games explain which JRPGS are your favorite and why.

BlackGenjii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By BlackGenjii
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

I don't know if you'd consider the Zelda franchise to be JRPG, but if you did, which I think they're worthy of that title, then I would say the Zelda's.

Also, I would say Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger, and the early Final Fantasy's... as well as the early Dragon Quest's.

Guess you could say that I'm a sucker for old school JRPG's, as well as for old school games in general.

One JRPG that is sadly underrated, though extremely difficult, is Lagoon. It has great boss battle music, as well as a highly memorable opening score... which I still fondly remember.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

FF VI

Chrono Trigger

FF IV

Why? Simple but well written and enjoyable stories,memorable and likable characters and a kickass soundtrack

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'd say my top 5 are

1. Persona 4 Golden
  2. Chrono Cross
  3. FF6
  4. Persona 3 FES
  5. FF12

As for your list TC, it's pretty decent and glad you put FF6 on that list.

MarsLumo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MarsLumo88

Yea I'm actually replaying FF6 right now. Still so amazing.

The reason I put the two above it that I did is because to me Xenogears story is the best story I've played through of any game as far as the grand scope of it, plus I'm a huge fan of the battle system as well along with the fact that all the villains of that game are very interesting in their own way. Chrono Trigger is just an amazingly crafted game from start to finish and in every aspect of it is just a tiny bit better then FF6 imo.

FF6 was the precursor to FF7 and what a lot of rpgs nowadays and after it seem to go based off of. Some of the moments in that game such as the opera scene, figaro castle going under, the fights with ultros etc are still some of the best moments in gaming history. That game never gets too old to play from start to end.

The persona series I liked some but could never really get into them more then one casual playthrough of all of them. My favorite persona esque game was shin megami nocturne which was very good but still wouldn't make my top ten list. Not to say that none of those games aren't top ten worthy. I've seen all of them on quite a few others list but for the most part that series as a whole never struck a great chord with me like it seems to many others.

MarsLumo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MarsLumo88

@ShepardCommandr said:

FF VI

Chrono Trigger

FF IV

Why? Simple but well written and enjoyable stories,memorable and likable characters and a kickass soundtrack

Absolutely!!

FF4's Dreadful Fight still remains my favorite boss battle song of all time outside of final bosses(One Winged Angel). Red Wings and Within the Giant is classic final fantasy music.

FF6 of course has the ultra famous Terra's Theme which is a little odd because some people confuse Awakening for Terra's Theme because most of the game that's the one that plays when Terra is front and center in the story.

Of course Chrono Trigger has two of the very best in gaming music imo with Frog's Theme and Corridors of Time. Absolute classics.

Maybe I'll start another thread on that here :D.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

FF9.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

grandia 2(dreamcast) skies of arcadia(dreamcast) final 10 ps2 xenoblade tales of vesperia dark souls demon souls ni no kuni lost odyssey last story

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

FF Tactics

FF VII

FF XII

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

FF7 and FF Tactics Advance on GBA

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

I'd replace your #6 with Secret Of Mana. Never played FF4. I'd also add Vagrant Story

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

@marslumo88 said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

FF VI

Chrono Trigger

FF IV

Absolutely!!

FF4's Dreadful Fight still remains my favorite boss battle song of all time outside of final bosses(One Winged Angel). Red Wings and Within the Giant is classic final fantasy music.

FF6 of course has the ultra famous Terra's Theme which is a little odd because some people confuse Awakening for Terra's Theme because most of the game that's the one that plays when Terra is front and center in the story.

Of course Chrono Trigger has two of the very best in gaming music imo with Frog's Theme and Corridors of Time. Absolute classics.

I actually liked Cyan's theme and Gau's Wild West theme had a great beat to it. Frog's theme is great too. I catch myself whistling it once in awhile

SlyRoxas97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SlyRoxas97
Member since 2014 • 59 Posts
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Dark Souls (it technically is a JRPG)
Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14 Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

Legend of Dragoon, Dark Cloud 2 always come to mind when a question like this is asked so I suppose those two I enjoyed immensely.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#15 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts
  1. Kingdom Hearts
  2. Kingdom Hearts II
  3. Xenoblade Chronicles
  4. Grandia
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Final Fantasy X, Ni No Kuni and Persona 4

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

interestingly, I have never played a jrpg, though, rpg's are my favorite genre, lol.

I've been thinking about getting a couple for my xbox/360, but, haven't really done my research yet.

I do not like real-time combo fighting, but, turn-based strategy I like a lot and, for me, lots of options and customization is almost mandatory.

which couple of lengthy games would you guys suggest?

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 12, Final Fantasy 9, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7, Kingdom Hearts 1, Kingdom Hearts 2, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch.

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Ryagan
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

Persona 4, Tales of Vesperia, Persona 3 FES, Tales of Symphonia... I still have yet to finish a Final Fantasy game. I'm in the middle of FFX, and I like it, but right now, I'm addicted to Tales of Graces f. Once I beat it, though, I'll probably get back to FFX. I also own FFVI, FFVII, and FFXIII. I'll get around to them...eventually. I'll also get around to Chrono Trigger...eventually. I have it, but I haven't played them because I have a hard time old school RPGs.

widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

Final Fantasy IV, FInal Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Persona 3 FES, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Terranigma, EarthBound, Kingdom Hearts and Suikoden are probably my favourites.

widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#21 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

@marslumo88 said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

FF VI

Chrono Trigger

FF IV

Absolutely!!

Yasunori Mitsuda created something truly special when he recorded the soundtrack to Chrono Trigger. Every song he composed was absolutely perfect for the situation. Corridors of Time has been my favourite song of the soundtrack from the moment I heard it.