Favorite Castlevania game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for XxshadowgamerxX
XxshadowgamerxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 XxshadowgamerxX
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts

I love Castlevania as many others, and I would like to know what is your favorite RETRO! Castlvania game, for me the original is beast, but nothing beats Super Castlevania 4 for the Super Nintendo, that game is just awesome. So what is your favorite castlevania game?

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Symphony of the Night, by far.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Castlevania: SotN

Symphony of the Night, for sure. I'd be willing to bet that SotN is gonna be the most popular answer on this thread.

Simon's Quest Nintendo Power

However, my 2nd favorite title in the series is one that seems to garner scorn from fans. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. I blame a lot of that hate on The Angry Video Game Nerd, which far too many people take far too seriously (it's all a joke, people!). I will admit that it does get annoying that everytime it changes from day to night in the game there is a this text box that appears that completely halts gameplay for like 10 seconds. But that really is small complaint against what is a great game otherwise. I love the fact that this game is open-world (well as "open-world" as 2D side-scrolling games go). I love the fact that it has a lot more RPG-elements than the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit games. And I love the sense of accomplishment you'd get when you'd defeat a boss or find a new secret in that game.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) is my favorite!:)

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

Rondo of Blood on TG-CD. Definitely the best Castlevania game, from top to bottom.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

The more nostalgic I say the original Castlevania. The more rational I say Castlevania IV. But really, Castlevania I, III, IV and Bloodlines are pretty much on par in my book, they're not drastically different from each other. I never cared for the RPG-platformer-Castlevanias, where it's more about about having enough patience to level up than anything else.

Castlevania II was kind of an interesting game - or so I used to think, until i got stuck in it with no real clues on how to proceed. It had ridiculously cryptic, moronic puzzles. I'm thankful that I had magazines that gave me help with it, or else I wouldn't have gotten to the end of it. But there's no excuse for bad game design. Oh yeah, and as was mentioned earlier by Emerald_Warrior, the frustration in relation to the changing day/night-cycle... It made me furious. AVGN:s criticism of it is mostly valid. I see no reason to think that he's joking, it's not like he's alone in seeing the flaws that he sees in the game.

The problem with AVGN in general is that a good game, according to him, more often than not seem to need to adhere to some strict formula - to standards set by games such as The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. and other so called classics, which he tend to uncritically praise to the skies. His perspective is therefore limited. Of course, I realise that there's the comedic aspect to his reviews, but he often goes a bit too far, like... "screw this game, let's play the real classics.", falling back to "safe territory" simply because of some small annoying detail, or because he cannot figure something out, because it doesn't fit in to a familiar, established template. And yet, I think that he has much more patience and real interest than most (if that's always a good thing or not, I don't know), and often good points to make.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

SotN, with Aria of Sorrow in at a very close 2nd place.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
... I never cared for the RPG-platformer-Castlevanias, where it's more about about having enough patience to level up than anything else...doubutsuteki
I had to stop here and reply- (let me drop some credentials here, so we know I'm talking from experience) I've successfully completed every handheld Castlevania since Circle of the Moon, including Castlevania X Chronicles on PSP, and Symphony- through the course of those games, I have never been forced to grind out levels in order to proceed(excepting, of course, CVX:C which had no leveling system). I have to admit here, to never having been a fan of the retro CVs; Konami's insistance on having them be the most bone-crushingly difficult games in existence did a great deal to deter me in my formative years. Best Castlevania ever, though, is still Aria of Sorrow, followed by Symphony of the Night.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

CastleVania III: Dracula's Curse.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Out of the ones I've played Symphony of the Night. However, I enjoyed Super Castlevania IV, as well.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I'm jumping on the bandwagon and going with SotN.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
Symphony of the Night, by far.Allicrombie
Hambonexx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hambonexx7
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
As good as they all are, I would have to say that Symphony of the night is the best one.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

1st one on nes..

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

Circle of the Moon, followed closely by Aria of Sorrow and the original game.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 doubutsuteki

[QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]... I never cared for the RPG-platformer-Castlevanias, where it's more about about having enough patience to level up than anything else...El_Zo1212o
I had to stop here and reply- (let me drop some credentials here, so we know I'm talking from experience) I've successfully completed every handheld Castlevania since Circle of the Moon, including Castlevania X Chronicles on PSP, and Symphony- through the course of those games, I have never been forced to grind out levels in order to proceed(excepting, of course, CVX:C which had no leveling system). I have to admit here, to never having been a fan of the retro CVs; Konami's insistance on having them be the most bone-crushingly difficult games in existence did a great deal to deter me in my formative years. Best Castlevania ever, though, is still Aria of Sorrow, followed by Symphony of the Night.

So you didn't have to grind to get through the games, but for anyone else who couldn't simply run through them it meant walking in and out of a room and slaying the same monsters over and over again to level up before heading towards the next area.

I can't say I've played the games as much as you have; I played most of them - except, perhaps most notably, Symphony of the Night - for a while, but quickly grew tired of them. The interesting question isn't whether you had to grind in the games or not, but if there was anything meaningful to do in the games besides that? I find the experience system to be not as much a redundancy, as a sort of a built-in cheat system. If I remember right, you could not only walk back and save your game at any time in a save room, but switch equipment at will - even in the middle of fights. Anyone can grind, go save, grind, go save, and then beat the bosses. What else is there? Role-playing? Hardly. Unsurprisingly, you mention a lack of difficulty. I don't remember there being any challenging platform jumping in the games. At least the old Castlevania games had that - and enemies you had to learn to beat the same as anyone else, whether you liked it or not.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#17 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
While I love Super Castlevania IV, I found it to be just a little too easy. My favorite is Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. Absolutely love it. When I bought it, I also bought a Castlevania necklace that's the cross with the batwings coming out of it.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]... I never cared for the RPG-platformer-Castlevanias, where it's more about about having enough patience to level up than anything else...doubutsuteki

So you didn't have to grind to get through the games, but for anyone else who couldn't simply run through them it meant walking in and out of a room and slaying the same monsters over and over again to level up before heading towards the next area.

I can't say I've played the games as much as you have; I played most of them - except, perhaps most notably, Symphony of the Night - for a while, but quickly grew tired of them. The interesting question isn't whether you had to grind in the games or not, but if there was anything meaningful to do in the games besides that? I find the experience system to be not as much a redundancy, as a sort of a built-in cheat system. If I remember right, you could not only walk back and save your game at any time in a save room, but switch equipment at will - even in the middle of fights. Anyone can grind, go save, grind, go save, and then beat the bosses. What else is there? Role-playing? Hardly. Unsurprisingly, you mention a lack of difficulty. I don't remember there being any challenging platform jumping in the games. At least the old Castlevania games had that - and enemies you had to learn to beat the same as anyone else, whether you liked it or not.

What else is there? Vivid characters and a gripping narrative. Those two qualities(along with the fantastic level design) are what have kept me a fan since Circle of the Moon.
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I grew up on Castlevania 1-4 on the Nintedno platforms. I hated SOTN because it strayed from the oringal formula. To me it aint Castlevania without the whip.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 branketra

I grew up on Castlevania 1-4 on the Nintedno platforms. I hated SOTN because it strayed from the oringal formula. To me it aint Castlevania without the whip.

jdc6305
If you meet certain requirements, you can play as Richter Belmont.
amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts
[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

BranKetra

AFAIK the Saturn version Richter is already unlocked from the start. I think on the PS1 you have to beat the game without killing him or something like that.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="jdc6305"]

amari24

AFAIK the Saturn version Richter is already unlocked from the start. I think on the PS1 you have to beat the game without killing him or something like that.

That's how you do it. I've seen screenshots that show Maria is also playable, but only for the Saturn version.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
castlevania 2 great music, story, rpg gameplay that was new to CV and day & night difference that for its time was a first for that time
kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

Super Castlevania 4 is my favorite, and it had the best music IMO.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

SotN with CV4 and CV3 tying a close second.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#26 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Super Castlevania 4 by far. It´s one of my favourite games of all time!

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 doubutsuteki

[QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] I had to stop here and reply- (let me drop some credentials here, so we know I'm talking from experience) I've successfully completed every handheld Castlevania since Circle of the Moon, including Castlevania X Chronicles on PSP, and Symphony- through the course of those games, I have never been forced to grind out levels in order to proceed(excepting, of course, CVX:C which had no leveling system). I have to admit here, to never having been a fan of the retro CVs; Konami's insistance on having them be the most bone-crushingly difficult games in existence did a great deal to deter me in my formative years. Best Castlevania ever, though, is still Aria of Sorrow, followed by Symphony of the Night.El_Zo1212o

What else is there? Vivid characters and a gripping narrative. Those two qualities(along with the fantastic level design) are what have kept me a fan since Circle of the Moon.

I'm tempted to suggest that you have a vivid imagination. It was completely standard fare from what I gathered.

There's no excuse for not bringing gameplay to the table. I'd rather watch a movie, read a book, or play something that has puzzles or actual gameplay in it than spend hours upon hours on a grind 'n' collect fest just to get snippets of story through dialogue once in a while.

But whatever floats your boat.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Castlevania 1,3,4 and for some reason the Castlevania 64 legacy version.(That one is not cannon but still)

Castlevania Symphony of the night.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 El_Zo1212o
...But whatever floats your boat...doubutsuteki
I guess so.
Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

Super CV4

justhat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 justhat1
Member since 2009 • 458 Posts

symphony of the night.

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
Symphony of the Night
everlong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#34 everlong12
Member since 2008 • 648 Posts

I love Super Castlevania on SNES and Order of Eccelsia on DS. I also loved Castlevania 64. I know there might be a lot of hate for it but its on my favorite list of castlevania.

tequilero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#35 tequilero
Member since 2005 • 9333 Posts

I like a lot the first Castlevania game,the box art is also great.