Favorite boot up sequence, and boot up sound from retro consoles

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

I love the boot up sound that the Sega Saturn makes! Maybe because it brings back so many memories, which lead me to start this topic, as odd as it is, just to see everyone else's opinion on it. Saturn is my fav, followed by the Dreamcast. Didn't really care for the annoying SEGA! boot from the Genesis.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Mega Drive all the way. It's legendary.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

PS1 for me. The PlayStation logo popping up after the white screen was just so epic, even today. It still stands as my favorite boot up sequence. After that, I'd go with the Saturn.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 godzillavskong
PS1 for me. The PlayStation logo popping up after the black screen was just so epic, even today. It still stands as my favorite boot up sequence. After that, I'd go with the Saturn. amari24
Yeah, the PS1 sounds nice too! It's very distinct. I wonder how many people up here could be blind folded and still recognize which platform was booted up? I bet a lot can, which leads me to believe that the boot sequence is more important then some think. I also like the 360's boot sound, with it breathing and all, but it isn't a legacy system, so it doesn't get to compete.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
For me it would be the Playstation. The start up sound is just so mesmerizing.
yoshisgirl2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 yoshisgirl2000
Member since 2011 • 33 Posts
definately the sony ps1, it was so cool! it just caught my attention and kept me hooked. I'd often turn it off and on just to hear that boot up noise.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

It would have to be between the NTSC Sega Saturn and NTSC Sega Dreamcast opening. Best intros ever!

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#8 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I'd go with PSOne.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Sega CD, just listen to that music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8UwgP-cQE

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

WOW WOW WOW WOW wow wow....... DINGALOG

That's the text version of the original Xbox startup sound if anyone wondered.

CD-i_ownz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CD-i_ownz
Member since 2009 • 494 Posts

Gamecube or PS1. I can't decide.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 godzillavskong

JuarN18
Forgot about that one! It's been so long since I heard it. My Sega CD is broke, the freakin round thing that your disc snaps down on is messed up, causing the disc to sit too low. Man, no Sewer Shark for me! lol
M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#13 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

The PS2's boot screen is so awesome. I'll never get tired of it.

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
PS1 really touches my soul. It reminds me of my childhood.
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I really liked the GameCube boot up screen. Also, I've always been a fan of the distintive chime of a GameBoy being turned on.

Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

gameboy chime was good, the SEGA Choir on some of the Genesis games was great. Xbox I remember the most, as I played it more.

Gamecube I didnt care for, Dreamcast had a cool intro, Saturn was ok. PS2 was cool, PS one was good but didnt look cool to me.

the end

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 godzillavskong

gameboy chime was good, the SEGA Choir on some of the Genesis games was great. Xbox I remember the most, as I played it more.

Gamecube I didnt care for, Dreamcast had a cool intro, Saturn was ok. PS2 was cool, PS one was good but didnt look cool to me.

the end

Sportyfamilycar
Yeah, Gamecube was one of the worst. You could even hold down the Z button @ boot to get a different, more rather annoying sound. Xbox was pretty cool.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

The PS1 boot-up sounds awesome. It's like the old Dolby Surround Sound trailers you'd get right before the movie would start in the theater in the 80s and 90s.

The Dreamcast one sounds very nice, as well.

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

Seeeegaaaaa

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

JuarN18

sounds totally different to the PAL Mega CD , which I honestly think is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWXKoxYZ1rc&feature=related

Branmuffin316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Branmuffin316
Member since 2009 • 1208 Posts

PS2 for me. I had an N64 in the 90's so I never played PS1 that much.

SpikeyAss777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SpikeyAss777
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts

My favourites (I like these a lot mostly due to the boot up sounds):

-PS1

-PS2

-PS3

-Master System - it scared me as a kid for the first time cos it's just a black screen and then the boot up sequence suddenly pops up out of nowhere :P

-Sega CD

-Both the JPN and the US/PAL Saturn boot up sequence

-Dreamcast

-Sega Naomi

-Neo Geo

-Jaguar

-Casio Loopy

-Original Xbox

-Gamecube

If I had to pick a favourite boot up sequence it'd probably be the JPN Saturn's

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#23 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
I actually find the Sega CD boot-up pretty awesome for some reason, very distinct. I also like the PSX, it sounds awesome in surround sound.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
[QUOTE="godzillavskong"] Yeah, Gamecube was one of the worst. You could even hold down the Z button @ boot to get a different, more rather annoying sound. Xbox was pretty cool.

the GC intro is so chessy, but the xbox intro is awful too (imo)
NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

The PS1....as soon as you heard that...it felt like you were in a brand new world.....a brand new world of 3-d polygons.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#26 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

The PS1 drives me nuts. I hate it! I use mine as a CD player (they are actually well respected in this regard, by the way) and I get sick of hearing it before I listen to my tunes. Maybe if I was still gearing up to play games on it, I'd like it.

My first thought was that Game Boy chime. Really stirs the hearstrings of this old gamer. I also dug the varried "Sega" intros before Genesis games. I think they were built into the carts themselves rather than the Genesis firmware so there was frequently a different one for many games.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Darkman2007

The PS1 drives me nuts. I hate it! I use mine as a CD player (they are actually well respected in this regard, by the way) and I get sick of hearing it before I listen to my tunes. Maybe if I was still gearing up to play games on it, I'd like it.

My first thought was that Game Boy chime. Really stirs the hearstrings of this old gamer. I also dug the varried "Sega" intros before Genesis games. I think they were built into the carts themselves rather than the Genesis firmware so there was frequently a different one for many games.

logicalfrank

actually the PS1 isnt that great for sound quality, the first models (the 1000 series) had better quality circuitry and thus had margianaly better sound, but even then , the PS1 is nothing special in terms of sound quality,

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

PSX!!!!!!

honorable mention to the Dreamcast and original Gameboy.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Darkman2007

PSX!!!!!!

Heirren
I wonder, have you ever seen the boot up for the Dreamcast devkit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaOIqwLRvMU its using the PAL logo but you get the point. though personally I like the normal console one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

PSX!!!!!!

Darkman2007

I wonder, have you ever seen the boot up for the Dreamcast devkit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaOIqwLRvMU its using the PAL logo but you get the point. though personally I like the normal console one.

Yeah that's just too much. The orange one is much better.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

PSX!!!!!!

Heirren

the European consoles have the same bootup as the US and JPN systems, just with a blue logo. apparently it was due to a company in Germany having an orange swirl logo , so its a copyright thing. I like the blue logo though .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] I wonder, have you ever seen the boot up for the Dreamcast devkit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaOIqwLRvMU its using the PAL logo but you get the point. though personally I like the normal console one.Darkman2007

the European consoles have the same bootup as the US and JPN systems, just with a blue logo. apparently it was due to a company in Germany having an orange swirl logo , so its a copyright thing. I like the blue logo though .

The blue is certainly more Sega, but the US DC marketing was the best for that system.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

The blue is certainly more Sega, but the US DC marketing was the best for that system.

marketing was indeed one thing Sega did well for the DC, at least in the west, the Japanese marketing was good , but nothing beats Segata Sanshiro :P Ill also give Sega credit on the DC hardware, they listened to developers, as well as their own programmers, and even split up the developement teams to come up with good hardware.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

I'm actually one of those people that likes the DC alot. I enjoyed it more than my PS2, and by far, actually. It had such a diverse lineup, maybe moreso than any system in history--which is why i think it is loved so much. Kudos to whoever directed the DC, at least in the west, and it is a shame it didn't get more support. Unlike the psx to px2, which was mostly prettied up versions of the same games, the DC was truly original and really revolutionized a number of genres.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
PS1 really touches my soul. It reminds me of my childhood.PS2_ROCKS
Many people are saying PS1, but I had to quote this one :). I agree with this and what he said is so true! For some reason I just can't remember what Sega Mega Drive's was like... did it even have one? it's been SOO long since I played on that! I also don't know where it is :(.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"]PS1 really touches my soul. It reminds me of my childhood.Ashley_wwe
Many people are saying PS1, but I had to quote this one :). I agree with this and what he said is so true! For some reason I just can't remember what Sega Mega Drive's was like... did it even have one? it's been SOO long since I played on that! I also don't know where it is :(.

the Mega Drive didn't have a boot up sound, its just that some games had the Sega sound so they get nostalgic about that.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts
GameCube FTW!
TurkInLondon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TurkInLondon
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts

The PS1 was most memorable for me. When I was younger I used to be scared of the boot-up sound though.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#39 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Darkman2007

actually the PS1 isnt that great for sound quality, the first models (the 1000 series) had better quality circuitry and thus had margianaly better sound, but even then , the PS1 is nothing special in terms of sound quality,

Well, I'm not about sound quality in games, in case that wasn't clear, but as a CD player. You can find serious audiophile reviews of it...

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/708play

I think it sounds OK though I listen to most of my music on legacy reproduction equipment aka vinyl. Though I suppse CD is about the same nowadays.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

logicalfrank

Well, I'm not about sound quality in games, in case that wasn't clear, but as a CD player. You can find serious audiophile reviews of it...

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/708play

I think it sounds OK though I listen to most of my music on legacy reproduction equipment aka vinyl. Though I suppse CD is about the same nowadays.

its the general sound quality on both games and music cds, its ok , but there are better options.

if youre wondering why audiophiles like it , its because its popular, its not like they know much about the Saturn or Dreamcast for instance, both of which have better sound quality than the PS1 (and thats speaking from personal experience)

its like asking me which is the best composer of cla-ssical music, most people who are unaware will pick someone like Mozart or Beethoven , when there might be better. though lesser options

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
It may sound laaaame, but the old gameboy *p-ling! Always makes me smile.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

The SEGA! boot from the Genesis is undeniably the greatest boot of any console. I also think the Gamecube is memorable.

fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fadeetoblackk
Member since 2011 • 459 Posts

Gamecube. shutup. then gameboy then sega.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 godzillavskong
GameCube FTW!Litchie
NOOOO!! I thought that was one of the worst, especially the other one, which you hold down the Z button while powering up. I guess it grows on you. Heck, to each his own.
AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#45 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

WOW WOW WOW WOW wow wow....... DINGALOG

That's the text version of the original Xbox startup sound if anyone wondered.

magnax1

I'm with you man! Although I like the Ps1 as well.

kiddoom93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kiddoom93
Member since 2006 • 838 Posts

PS1. It just has so many memories for me.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#47 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Playstation 1. The Memories!

Diarma10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Diarma10
Member since 2009 • 45 Posts

I came here to post Sega Saturn, because of the great memories, but the very first post beat me to it! Awesome! Sega Saturn, Pal and NTSC had great openings. Best console ever, such a shame it was never competiive... sob.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Seeeegaaaaa

nintendoman562

seconded

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="nintendoman562"]

Seeeegaaaaa

sayyy-gaa

seconded

thing is, its not a boot sound, its just used in some games. still iconic though , I would agree with that. Master System has the Sega sound as a boot up , but its not voice.