Essential Sega Saturn games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I want to know what game or games you feel are essential to own if you have the honor of owning a Sega Saturn console. I feel like the Saturn is such an amazing, underrated system and I have been trying to collect for it for several years now. While I am definitely no authority on the Saturn or its library, I feel like the following games define the greatness of the Saturn and represent the best of the best for that console. fyi they are in no particular order.

Panzer Dragoon

panzer_cover_jap.jpg

Nights into Dreams

1194476179-00.jpg

Virtua Fighter Remix

ssvirtuafighterremix.jpg

Radiant Silvergun

Radiant_silvergun.jpg

Gardian Heroes

guardian-Heroes.jpg

Daytona USA: Circuit Edition

daytona-circut-f.jpg

Virtual On

Cyber%20Troopers%20Virtual-On%20(J)%20Fr

Virtua Cop 2

Virtua_Cop_2_SS_Sell.jpg

Shining Force III

shining_force_iii_sega_saturn_box.jpg

Panzer Dragoon Saga

198258_14812_front.jpg

X-men vs. Street Fighter

X-Men_vs_Street_Fighter_Sega_Saturn_cove

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Glad you mentioned Virtual On. I agree with all of the ones you listen (especially Panzer Dragoon, Virtual On and Nights into Dreams) and I'd like to add Fighting Vipers, Sonic Jam, Princess Crown and Astal.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shenmue_Jehuty

Glad you mentioned Virtual On. I agree with all of the ones you listen (especially Panzer Dragoon, Virtual On and Nights into Dreams) and I'd like to add Fighting Vipers, Sonic Jam, Princess Crown and Astal.Dudersaper

Astal is one of those great Saturn games I have never had the pleasure of playing. I found a copy at a garage sale several months ago, but after buying it I found out it didn't work (it was pretty scratched). All well, it was only $2, but I still really want to play it eventually.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I'd agree with all of those picks. Good job. I'd add a couple:

SonicRcover.jpg

g0892084kyr.jpg

Darius-Gaiden-Saturn-Cover.jpg

Astal_Coverart.png

225px-Die_Hard_Arcade.jpg

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shenmue_Jehuty

g0892084kyr.jpg

Emerald_Warrior

YES! I totally forgot about this game! It is such an overlooked 2D action game. lol I'm seriously shocked I forgot to mention it :p

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

g0892084kyr.jpg

Shenmue_Jehuty

YES! I totally forgot about this game! It is such an overlooked 2D action game. lol I'm seriously shocked I forgot to mention it :p

One of my favortite Saturn games. It was among the first games I got with my Saturn. Which unfortunately are getting harder and harder to come by and getting pricier and pricier each day. :(

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

g0892084kyr.jpg

Emerald_Warrior

One of my favortite Saturn games. It was among the first games I got with my Saturn. Which unfortunately are getting harder and harder to come by and getting pricier and pricier each day. :(

Aint that the truth. That's why I've started collecting for the Japanese Saturn since most of the same games on it that for for over $50 in the US can easily be bought for less then $20 for NTSC-J consoles. The unfortunate downside to this is trying to play text-heavy games like Panzer Saga and Shining force, however I've come to find that you have little to no problem playing 80% of the Saturn's Japanese library even if you don't speak any Japanese. I have saved a lot of money by choosing that region to collect for.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts
Shinobi Legions is great. I don't like it as much as its Genesis predecessors, but it's a highly underrated game. There was a game I played called Worms on the Saturn. Pretty innovative game for its time.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

the list above is actually quite good, though Panzer Dragoon and VFRemix? odd choices, I would have gone for Panzer Zwei and VF2.

also, possibly replace XvsSF with MvsSF , and replace Radiant Silvergun with Street Fighter Alpha 3 , and youve got a closer list to what I would pick

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I wish I never traded my Saturn in after the Dreamcast released :(

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Shenmue_Jehuty
No Dragon Force? I am disappoint
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
Quite a good list. Though I do feel that Panzer Dragoon RPG has gained a cult status without having the substance to back it up. The lack of availability for that game has allowed the opinions of a very select few to dominate discussion on it, creating an aura of mysticism/legend. The game isn't bad, and it is certainly unique,but honestly, it is one of those games that you are likely to finish, think is kinda neat and then never touch again.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Not bad, I would add these: Astal Darius Gaiden Dragon Force Fighters Megamix Panzer Dragoon Zwei Shinobi Legions Shining the Holy Ark
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

I will add torico, or lunacy in the usa. best fmv/myst type game ever made

0m39AX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#15 0m39AX
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts

I would add two fighting games that, although not critically well-received as Virtua Fighter, still are great, at least for me.

LAST BRONX

(can you imagine a Virtua Fighter with weapons? It's called Last Bronx. It has deeper gameplay than Soul Edge.)

ANARCHY IN THE NIPPON

(It has amazing graphics. And also the art direction has some key elements that will appear in Shenmue. Notice, for example, that the blond girl's stage - I don't know her name, the menus are in japanese - appears to be exactly the same harbor that Ryo Hakuzi finds his part time job in Shenmue 1)

And, concerning shmups, I'd add

LAYER SECTION II

(Also, amazing graphics and effects. Solid gameplay. Nice challenge. There's a remake on PSN. But I prefer to play it on my Saturn)

THUNDER FORCE V

(same reasons from the one mentioned before)

Last, but not least, in the action genre I'd add

PSYCHIC KILLER TAROMARU

(An underrated gem. Great art direction.)

0m39AX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 0m39AX
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts

Did anyone mention

SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP

?

I don't think so. It's such a great game, even nowadays. I mean, along with Daytona USA, its mechanics and gameplay remain as enjoyable as within the moment it was released back then. Simple to pick up, but difficult to master - in a way that will trully hook you up. Its mechanic and playability still impresses me nowadays, and I keep playing it.