Embarrasing E3 coverage.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FreddoX12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FreddoX12
Member since 2006 • 623 Posts

I mean, the journalists are terrible. They ask stupid questions just to keep the time going, they ask wrong questions. For instance: Some dude asked a GTA IV developer for his thoughts on the small number of sold downloadable content for GTA IV! It hasn't even been released yet.. my god..

Then many journalists asks the developers the same questions over and over again... This is terrible.. I like IGN's coverage more, G4 are full of douchebags and Gamespot is just embarrassing.

linklb4130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 linklb4130
Member since 2003 • 1737 Posts
i know, why didnt anyone ask them what the DLC for GTA IV was gonna be like? That would of been my very first question.
mathew952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 mathew952
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

They all ask the same BS filler questions. Pretty much

1. What's going to be different about this installment? Uh, Well were fixing alot of the problems from the first game, and were really moving forward and innovating
  2. That's great to hear. How's the Co-op going to work? Well, Your freind can come with you and play the game, and he'll help you kill stuff, solve puzzles. ect.
  3. Cool, Cool. What about Multiplayer? We're (Expanding/Shrinking) The lobby, to focus in on (Larger Scale/ Tactical) Gameplay. It'l have CTF, Deathmatch, TDM, all the standards, plus a new game mode (No one will understand or care about). It has a really cool stat tracker to get matches with players of the same skill.
  4. What about longtime fans who are worried that you'll change too much? We're keeping the basic gameplay and theme the same, but were still innovating.
  5. Well we'll sure to check it out in (Month). Back to you.

Questions That Should be Asked:

What specifically, is going to be changed to warrant another game. Or are you just taking the samee game, making it shiny and new, and shipping it out?

Was the Game designed with Co-op in mind from the very beginning?

Will their be split screen?

Are you going to be testing as much as you can before release, and risk delaying the game, or will you be shipping it out, glitches and all, and patching it up later?

If You not changing anything, then why should I buy it?

Is the company really focused on this, or is this just a side project? Take Two's main games are GTA, but they still have to crank out a new mall tycoon to pay the bills every once in while.

Is the Story a main part of the game?

How long is the campaign?

What's the replay value?

Is realism a main point for the game?

How much was put into the sound track?

Who did the voice acting?

How are the levels designed?

How is the AI, could you show us?

Are you watering down the gameplay in order to make it multiplat?

FreddoX12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FreddoX12

They all ask the same BS filler questions. Pretty much

1. What's going to be different about this installment? Uh, Well were fixing alot of the problems from the first game, and were really moving forward and innovating
  2. That's great to hear. How's the Co-op going to work? Well, Your freind can come with you and play the game, and he'll help you kill stuff, solve puzzles. ect.
  3. Cool, Cool. What about Multiplayer? We're (Expanding/Shrinking) The lobby, to focus in on (Larger Scale/ Tactical) Gameplay. It'l have CTF, Deathmatch, TDM, all the standards, plus a new game mode (No one will understand or care about). It has a really cool stat tracker to get matches with players of the same skill.
  4. What about longtime fans who are worried that you'll change too much? We're keeping the basic gameplay and theme the same, but were still innovating.
  5. Well we'll sure to check it out in (Month). Back to you.

mathew952

Exactly. I seriously smacked my self in the face when a female journalist asked the developer for inFamous about free-roaming and power source for the second time and then all of a sudden it felt like deja vue because they started the conversation that they had about 5 minutes earlier!

mathew952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mathew952

The main issue is that if the journalists piss of a developer, either personally, or by doing things that don't work with the demo, or asking "tough questions" than the Dev acts very mature, and refuses to give said journalist Advanced content, advanced copy of the game, interviews, ect...

Although, if a Dev was "beaten-up" by a journalist, and STILL gives them an advanced copy, that game is probably very good, if they think some one who hates them will like it.

al-128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 al-128
Member since 2005 • 304 Posts
I think it was clear that the GS staff were trying to be, "polite", for lack of a better word. When she called Far Cry "Fallout", notice how she couldn't say sorry enough... they want to stay in the good books. The guy taking questions from the community always seemed to have a nervous expression :P
FreddoX12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FreddoX12
I would recommend you guys to watch the IGN's coverage of E3. For your own good i mean :)
FreddoX12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FreddoX12

I would recommend you guys to watch the IGN's coverage of E3. For your own good i mean :)FreddoX12

http://livewire.ign.com/2008/e3/index.html

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Questions That Should be Asked:

What specifically, is going to be changed to warrant another game. Or are you just taking the samee game, making it shiny and new, and shipping it out?

Was the Game designed with Co-op in mind from the very beginning?

Will their be split screen?

Are you going to be testing as much as you can before release, and risk delaying the game, or will you be shipping it out, glitches and all, and patching it up later?

If You not changing anything, then why should I buy it?

Is the company really focused on this, or is this just a side project? Take Two's main games are GTA, but they still have to crank out a new mall tycoon to pay the bills every once in while.

Is the Story a main part of the game?

How long is the campaign?

What's the replay value?

Is realism a main point for the game?

How much was put into the sound track?

Who did the voice acting?

How are the levels designed?

How is the AI, could you show us?

Are you watering down the gameplay in order to make it multiplat?

mathew952

When you do an interview, you aren't supposed to attack someone. Otherwise, it becomes an interrogation.

mathew952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mathew952

When you do an interview, you aren't supposed to attack someone. Otherwise, it becomes an interrogation.

You have to though. The gaming industry, by far, has the thickest layer of BS in it's advertising.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

You have to though. The gaming industry, by far, has the thickest layer of BS in it's advertising.

mathew952

That's what reviews are for. And sales numbers, to an extent.

crimson_axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 crimson_axe
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts
[QUOTE="mathew952"]

King9999

That's what reviews are for. And sales numbers, to an extent.

Pff... whatever.... Tell that to the people behind firing that dude from GS about Kane and Lynch. It's about making a profit.

They need to be asking the hard questions - especially to the Developers/Publishers who play off all their crap like it's the best thing ever. SOE with any of their games; EA with their yearly Madden, Fifa, NBA crap; Blizzard and their WoW expansions; EA with their dumb expansion for a game that promised the world (Crysis) and didn't deliver anything but a gimick; Not to mention their never-ending Sims expansions; Ubisoft with their Tom Clancey BS....

These games and Publishers dominate the sales charts because at one point in time, their games were innovative and good. Now, they produce these titles off a treadmill. I bet you anything if you asked these question to them.... they would have nothing to say that was interesting or true. If you ask these questions to some people who actually had something real and refreshing (like those guys behind Little Big Planet) then they could answer any question you have for them.

AmnestyErr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AmnestyErr
Member since 2005 • 90 Posts

Quite frankly if it has to fall into that category then yes it should be an interrogation.

When you're churning out the same schpeel and they already know how to SPIN the PR about their games you definately need someone/ something to keep them on their toes. What we get are entirely linear interviews, which some don't mind at all mind you, with far and few 'exciting' interviews from big DEVS who even then don't say anything.

Sure there are some policies enacted to protect their liabilities but c'mon, they're at E3 to show off their game not to be so hush-hush and secretive about other aspects of developing the game.

I don't particularily think they should sway away from questions like asking them if there are any BETTER implementations to yearly titles such as Madden and even Final Fantasy for that matter.

The industry needs to be more attentive towards the attitude of their audiences and some, not all, ask for a more inquisitive approach instead of just being comfy or looking good on camera. MOST gamers would like to know where they're shelling their harned earn 60-100+ dollars and acting coy and cozy only makes it harder for MOST gamers who work/ school/ earn a living to select a decent title to enjoy. But then again some people are just satisfied with buy Madden 'x' or any incrementally increasing titled games.

VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 VegetaJr
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts
That kind of "hardcore" interrogation technique interview smacks of the lame "OMG LOOK AT ME SO EDGY AND DIFFERENT" posers at Edge and Eurogamer, across the pond. That said, the only coverage of the event I've used are the conferences, and a video or two of gameplay, along with the Giant Bomb stuff.. I could care less if Gamespot throws softballs or brown noses tbh, I'm only here so much this week because Giant Bomb is launching the week AFTER the event, and IGN and 1up have the worst freaking message boards on the planet. But I would prefer the type of fun "funny guys who like videogames talking about videogames" coverage they provide. The stuff being discussed here is meant to appeal to the "videogames are serious business" crowd, the people who stay up until three in the morning clubbing each other over the head with their completely subjective opinions on a game in a over glorified internet slap fight of get the last word in disguised as a "debate", who just plain take this hobby too darn seriously. (seriously guys, go outside)