Dreamcast running HDMI!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I haven't played my Dreamcast consistently in years but being that there isn't much on PS4 yet I'm thinking about hooking up my Dreamcast but I want to hook it up to my monitor which is HDMI only. Does anybody have any suggestions?

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2 huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

Buy a VGA box from Amazon, it will give you the best image quality for your Dreamcast. I can go back and play Dreamcast games, and the graphics still look awesome. For some reason, I can't say the same thing about the PS2. Graphics just looks...ugly.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RimacBugatti

@huerito323: Thanks for the reply I will have to order one in a week or so. Dreamcast had some great games. I'm looking to buy some more games from Ebay. Some of the best games ever to be released I think are on Dreamcast. I'm so glad that I never got rid of mine as in the past I almost sold it. Ouch! That would have been horrible. I still want to get a Sega Saturn as I never had one and I think it had some good games as well. Shenmue alone warrants the Dreamcast purchase. I will never forget the Dreamcast days. That's when gaming was gaming.

fatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 fatee
Member since 2004 • 371 Posts

Crazy taxi should be on the top of your list - it has the offspring as it soundtrack (the re-release has some nobodies)

Plus it's just a hilariously fun game.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 iamllamapie
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts

@RimacBugatti: If you're getting a Saturn I'd suggest the MK 2. The controller is better than the chubby MK 1. A lot of it's multiplats will look worse in the FMV than it's PlayStation (Some N64) counterparts and more blocky graphics wise (3D). So I wouldn't recommend it for multiplats unless is comes with Saturn exclusives content, i.e Resident Evil's Battle Mode.

A few games, mostly fighting games, will require RAM expansion carts to either unlock more characters or even run at all. Oh, and it's battery will probably be dead, so be sure to replace that. If you're wondering, the battery keeps the language and clock up to speed and also the console's memory. If it has a dead battery and you turn it off for more than 5 minuets the saved data will be wiped.

Come to think of it, the Saturn wasn't anything special for it's time.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

@iamllamapie said:

Come to think of it, the Saturn wasn't anything special for it's time.

other than one of the best shmup consoles to ever be released (the xbox 360 is right there too tho).

battle garegga (this alone takes the cake)
mahou daisakusen (kingdom grandprix)
batsugun
dodonpachi (though there was a ps1 port too)
soukyugurentai
kyukyoku tiger 2
strikers 1945
game tengoku
rayforce/layer section
thunderforce 5 (also on PS)
darius
gaiden (also on PS)

not to mention other classics like panzer dragoon saga, princess crown, guardian heroes, panzer dragoon zwei, shining force 3, etc..

plus, it has some of the best arcade sticks ever created for consoles, like the virtua hss-0130

as for dreamcast thru HDMI, I'm not sure what the best solution would be, but I'd personally rather play it through a CRT monitor.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RimacBugatti

@fatee: I have 22 games already but I want to get games like Crazy Taxi, MDK2, Egg, etc. I don't have Powerstone which I found is pretty expensive. It will be fun to play again for sure.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 iamllamapie

@Some-Mist: Most of those games are Japanese releases, something Europe and America didn't get much of. In fact, if they were released here the lifespan of the console would of been a little bit longer.

As for a variety of games it didn't have as much as the PS1 and N64. Most titles like shmups and those story-like games were all Japanese exclusive (meaning if you didn't have an imported Saturn or an Action Replay Cart) it was tough luck. Developing a game for it was a nightmare too.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RimacBugatti

@iamllamapie: I'm looking to buy a new one which is a little more difficult to find. I didn't know much about Saturn but I thought it would be cool to own one. I was thinking of getting a 3DO as well but I haven't seen any games for that. Did you own a 3DO?

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

@iamllamapie said:

@Some-Mist: Most of those games are Japanese releases, something Europe and America didn't get much of. In fact, if they were released here the lifespan of the console would of been a little bit longer.

As for a variety of games it didn't have as much as the PS1 and N64. Most titles like shmups and those story-like games were all Japanese exclusive (meaning if you didn't have an imported Saturn or an Action Replay Cart) it was tough luck. Developing a game for it was a nightmare too.

action replay = two birds with one stone. solve both the region-locking and additional RAM issues all in one :)

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iamllamapie

@RimacBugatti: I do, in fact. It's a Goldstar 3DO - looks like a fat DVD player and apparently due to different filing limitations and such, some games don't work on this version, although mine seem to run normally (I think). I only have 2 controls and a handful of games: Gex (Also on PS1, Saturn & PC), The Need for Speed (Also on PS1, Saturn and DOS) and Alone in the Dark (Which is on a variety of PC at it's time).

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iamllamapie

@Some-Mist said:

@iamllamapie said:

action replay = two birds with one stone. solve both the region-locking and additional RAM issues all in one :)

I don't know what I would've done without my Saturn and PS1 Action Replays

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RimacBugatti

@iamllamapie: There was 2 models of 3DO and the model I want is the one you have. To me it looks better. The other one is longer and thinner similar to Sega CD I think. I use to have the Turbo Graphics 16. How are the Graphics on 3DO in comparison to PS1?

LeftClick007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 LeftClick007
Member since 2013 • 77 Posts

VGA box will do it, just know that it will be really blurry since it is not native HD

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iamllamapie

@RimacBugatti: Actually, there are 3 models in Europe. 2 from Panasonic and that one from Goldstar. Although the one I have is the cheapest to buy, I wouldn't advise it in case you get a game that isn't compatible with it.

When asking about the 3DO's graphics it depends on the scale of the game. Gex and NFS look good, especially for 1994. While games like Immercenary look like a mess. Seriously, I cannot make much out from that game. It's like flat walls slapped everywhere so I won't be importing that.
Alone in the Dark originally came out in '92 and was release on 3DO in NA in '93. It looks very good for it's time but come the PS1 release this could of easily been done.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RimacBugatti

@iamllamapie: Yeah I saw some screenshots of some games and the graphics were a little messy. I also noticed that it looks as though the 3DO only had one controller port.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 iamllamapie

The controllers plug into one another. So if you're player 1 and you're losing at The Need for Speed, just yank their control and win ;)

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RimacBugatti

@iamllamapie: Lol that's funny that they would design it like that. Have you experienced any performance upgrades when overclocking any of your systems?