Do you think that shooters should have a longer campaign?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rutzfuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Rutzfuz
Member since 2010 • 1202 Posts

When I play shooters I instantly play single player. It is fun to know the characters and then have feeling for them when they die. But the problem is that most shooters today have campaigns of 6-8 hours. That is REALLY short. I can complete the game in a day if I tried. Wouldn't you want a shooter that had good story and long campaign? I would. Thoughts?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts
some shooters are better to play on harder difficulty settings, though sometimes I wish the way they made games more difficult is just throw a ton more guys your way to kill, not just keep everything the same except you take more damage and deal less (or something like that)
Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

If the single player campaign is the primary aspect of the game then yes it should be longer. I expect at least 20+ hours out of single player games to make them worth the expense, unless the game's plot is good enough to merit the purchase on its own. This being said, I usually play action RPGs and platformers with RPG elements which last well over the 20 hour mark.

If multiplayer is the primary aspect of the game, then I don't really care if it even has a single player. As long as it has a tutorial and some abiilty to practice offline I find that the rest of the resources put into making the game should be focussed on the multiplayer.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#4 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Given that most shooters come equipped with a multiplayer component these days, I'd say the 6-8 hour campaign is an acceptable length. Most sink their time playing shooters in the multiplayer side of things, anyway, so lengthy campaigns become rather unimportant in the eyes of the developers from that perspective. That's the real problem here. If everyone weren't so focused on throwing multiplayer in with every shooter available we'd probably see more strong single-player campaigns in shooters. Unless it suddenly dies out overnight or something, however, that likely won't happen.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I don't see a problem with the current average length of shooter campaigns. I really don't know how you could make it longer and keep the game exciting as well.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I don't know how long Dead Space was, but it had a lot going for it - it kept me immersed.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

i don't know about anybody in this thread....but i dont wanna play a 30 to 40 call of duty campaign....i feel like the lenths just fine

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

When I play shooters I instantly play single player. It is fun to know the characters and then have feeling for them when they die. But the problem is that most shooters today have campaigns of 6-8 hours. That is REALLY short. I can complete the game in a day if I tried. Wouldn't you want a shooter that had good story and long campaign? I would. Thoughts?

Rutzfuz

I think 10-15 hours is a good campaign length for a shooter.

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
For games where single player is the primary mode, such as Dead Space and Bioshock, I feel that the game length is more than acceptable. It only becomes an issue when the online mode is considered the primary mode. However, when you consider how much game play time is given with online gaming, it becomes less of an issue then. I'm not adverse to having longer campaigns but only if it doesn't detriment the game itself. I'd much rather a slightly shorter but more exciting game than a longer one for the sake of being longer.
phealeyh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 phealeyh
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I think shooters are fine just the way they are (length-wise).
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

I dunno, seems to me 8-12 hours is pretty standard for most single player games these days in any genre. The FPS genre in particular may be on the low end of that average, but they are still in the range.

But I do think some are far too short yes. Halo: ODST and the last few CoD games being obvious picks.

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

Hot-Tip!!!!!

Its possible to double or even treble the length of a game by playing it twice or maybe three times. its a misconception that its only possible to play agame once.

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts

I tend to play shooters on harder difficulties, not because I'm super pro, but because it makes the game last longer. :P Your 6-8 hour average shooter tends to take me around 10-12 hours.

But it's easy to see that most shooters (especially the popular ones) put an emphasis on multiplayer, so that's a part of it too. Honestly, the only shooters I see lasting longer than the 6-8 hour mark and remaining fun and interesting are hybrid shooters such as Bioshock,, the new Deus Ex, or Fallout 3 (only partially a shooter) because those games add in different dynamics to enrich an lengthen the experience.

But hey, sometimes it's nice to play a game and be done with it after a week. Nothing is wrong with that in my eyes as long as you didn't drop too much money on it.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

i don't know about anybody in this thread....but i dont wanna play a 30 to 40 call of duty campaign....i feel like the lenths just fine

youngmurk911

well...thats why god and valve made half life...im sorry but i was kinda sad with the campaign ended...i kinda enjoyed the beefed up gravity gun...i never got tired of the campaign in that game...it was awesome...its not a perfect game but its a d*** good canon to measure to...if more fps games had good story like hl2 and good gameplay like it...with stuff to break up the gunplay (puzzles) then id have a hard time buying games...thered be too many to choose from

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

Hot-Tip!!!!!

Its possible to double or even treble the length of a game by playing it twice or maybe three times. its a misconception that its only possible to play agame once.

dog_dirt

While this is true, many shooters lack gameplay variety or well written story, so after playing though the campaign 3-5 times at the most there's little reason to go back to them.

When considering how often I replay games I've come to expect 100+ hours out of a game to make it worth the purchase. Of course this isn't the only deciding factor, but the game had better be damn good if I'm only going to get 10-20 hours out of it in total.

This being said I really only like shooters for multiplayer, so well designed multiplayer modes easily make the game worthwhile.

Samcro810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Samcro810
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

I'd prefer longer campaigns in Call of Duty games, but I don't want the developers to sacrifice quality for quantity. Gears of War and Gears of War 2 on the other hand have decently long and brilliant campaigns. Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5 are also similar in that aspect.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts
Well if the game comes with a bunch of other modes then I can understand short campaign modes because it all takes resources to make the other various components in the overall package. I don't think they should just throw in filler simply to make the campaign longer either. I'm pretty satisfied with what I get with the campaign modes of FPS I've played recently.
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Hot-Tip!!!!!

dog_dirt

I doubt anyone misconveived whether or not it is possible to replay a game. When it comes to shooters, they often have minimal to moderate replay value due to the fact that the campaign does not change.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

When I think long shooter campaigns I think Borderlands. When I think Borderlands I think boring. So, no thanks. If there are developers who think they can make a campaign that has enough variety and a plot good enough to fill up 20 hours they may try. But I'm sure that is extremely difficult without making the game primarily a RPG, like Mass Effect or Fallout.

Niks-Greed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Niks-Greed
Member since 2011 • 87 Posts
So far all the shooters I've played had been a satisfying length. Enough content and great gameplay, then of course i charge right into MP, but that's just me.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I think a campaign should end when it runs out of fresh interesting things to throw at you. I'd rather play 6 hours worth of fun than 15 that drag on