Do you think graphics judge a game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

warrenmats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

User Lists: 0

#1 warrenmats
Member since 2008 • 2247 Posts

I think that if a game is really fun, graphics don't really matter. Its my opinion tho

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Whatever anybody says, graphics do affect how much one likes a game, the game can be fun, but nobody likes looking at something crappy, so they obviously matter. I do however agree graphics shouldn't have the same importance as gameplay/storyline (if it exists)/etc. So yes, it does have an effect on how a game is "judged".
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Absolutely not. Depending on the game, graphics can enhance the experience, but all the amazing graphics in the world wont make up for crap gameplay or controls. In the end, graphics have very little, if any weight in me wanting to own/play a game.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Absolutely not. Depending on the game, graphics can enhance the experience, but all the amazing graphics in the world wont make up for crap gameplay or controls. In the end, graphics have very little, if any weight in me wanting to own/play a game.

Shenmue_Jehuty

This. Graphics are a great enhancement, but it always comes down to the gameplay and content.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I'm sort of torn about this. Graphics are important, they really are. However, graphical prowess cannot replace solid gameplay.

The biggest thing I'm torn about is my evolution as a video gamer with RPGs, nowadays they have to look really nice or it's tough for me to get into them. I've sort of started thinking this, if I want a grand story I'll read a book. I want to play games for an overall experience, and the visuals are a fairly large part of that experience.

I can't walk away from legacy games though, many hold a special place in my heart. For instance, I'm playing Xenogears again, no matter how the game looks I will enjoy that experience.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

"Tetris". 'nuff Said.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

As long as it has at least 8-bit graphics, it doesn't really matter to me.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

I think that if a game is really fun, graphics don't really matter. Its my opinion tho

warrenmats
Your opinion is just like mine! :)
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Whatever anybody says, graphics do affect how much one likes a game, the game can be fun, but nobody likes looking at something crappy, so they obviously matter. I do however agree graphics shouldn't have the same importance as gameplay/storyline (if it exists)/etc. So yes, it does have an effect on how a game is "judged".

this, if a game looks bad for its time, it will lose a few points in my book . at the same time, just because it might not be the best in its generatioon doesnt mean I wont play it.
Revixe06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Revixe06
Member since 2008 • 1021 Posts
No. Minecraft proves it.
amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts
Personally, I think it varies with each system. For example, a Genesis game with Atari 2600 graphics would be a little unacceptable. However, graphics are the most overrated aspect of any game. Sure, they're nice and all, but they really don't boost the experience. The Halo: CE remake on the 360 with its improved graphics didn't make the game anymore fun. That goes for the MGS HD collection, too. Pong is just three lines and a ball, but it's still an addictive game to play. Would changing the graphics make it any more enjoyable? Probably not.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
Personally, I think it varies with each system. For example, a Genesis game with Atari 2600 graphics would be a little unacceptable. However, graphics are the most overrated aspect of any game. Sure, they're nice and all, but they really don't boost the experience. The Halo: CE remake on the 360 with its improved graphics didn't make the game anymore fun. That goes for the MGS HD collection, too. Pong is just three lines and a ball, but it's still an addictive game to play. Would changing the graphics make it any more enjoyable? Probably not.amari24
well , in regards to MGS HD , its not just better because of the visuals , its better because the games run at 60fps (which in MGS3 makes a difference over the 25-30fps it was on the PS2), so in there, its also a gameplay thing.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Graphics matter to me, otherwise i wouldn't spend a good portion of my time modding the hell out of games to squeeze every bit of my PC's hardware, for the games to look absolutely breathless.

But i can easily play anything, in general, otherwise i wouldn't have kept my older consoles. As long as the framerate is decent and the controls are solid, there is no game which i wouldn't like if it's fun to play.

J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 J-Man2244
Member since 2012 • 85 Posts
NO. Gameplay will always be the most important thing when playing a game, and graphics are a mere afterthought. Some games (like DOOM on the Super Nintendo, for example) have visuals that make the game nearly unplayable, but aside from game-breaking graphics, nice visuals are usually just an added bonus.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#15 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I voted no and by that I mean having top of the line, current generation graphics mean very little to me. That said, graphics are really important but what's important about them isn't that they have the least jaggy lines or most detailed textures but that they artisically and stylishly done in such a way that compliments game play. I think Minecraft, for example, has great graphics because they fit in w/ the gameplay.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Depends on what type of game. Tetris is an example of a game that graphics are not as important as the gameplay. My favorite tetris is still the original Gameboy pack in game. But other games graphics are more important.

For me it depends on the genre.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Sometimes it depends.

Part of the reason I don't have fun playing many PS1 games is because the PS1 doesn't do 3D very well. 3D graphics on the PS1 look horrible in some games. A game with horrible 3D graphics isn't very fun because it takes away from the immersion.

I feel as though the PS2's graphics are perfect. Not overly detailed, and not overly pixelated. PS2 graphics are believable enough.

luckykoopsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 luckykoopsie
Member since 2012 • 345 Posts

i think that as long as the graphics are good and meet the standards of other graphics during that time period then its fine. but a game like turok evolution on gamecube for example looked terrible while mario sunshine set a standard with its good graphics on the cube.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#19 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
The gameplay does make up the whole game and if it's fun the game is worth playing, but the graphics matter too. Games with horrible graphics can be annoying to play.
Scarebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Scarebaby
Member since 2008 • 1273 Posts

No, for the same reasons a really good movie is worth watching even on a crappy VHS copy. If it's done properly then technicalities can be looked past.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Only according to reviewers. I'll take a good game with mediocre graphics over a crap game with awesome graphics any day.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

Only shallow people judge a book by the cover. Graphics don't make game (although they're pretty to look at), it's the quality of the gameplay & mechanics that make a game.

NostalgicRoyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NostalgicRoyal
Member since 2012 • 33 Posts
I depends. Bad graphics can ruin a game if it hinders gameplay with massive glitches, slowdown, unreadable text, or unidentifiable objects, or headache inducing mess. Whether a game is 'state of the art' or not though doesn't matter to me. The gameplay is most important.
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#24 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
To me, graphics matter to a medium level extent. I don't focus on them too much, but if they are terrible they can be quite distracting. As for old games, I judge their graphics on whether or not they were good for the time. I give older games a bit more of a break, but there are some out there that are buggy and glitchy just like today. Summery: Anything that interferes with my gameplay is not a good thing and is an aspect a game should be judged on.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#25 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

As long as I know what the hell I'm looking at I'm OK with graphics.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

No..... just no...

as a matter of fact that is what is wrong with newer generations of gaming... all graphics no originality.

Now, dont get me wrong, some of the genres today could not have been pulled off as well before 3d graphics, and nobody wants their eyes to bleed these days, but graphics do not make the game, playability and fun factor make a game for me.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Yes since not everyone is willing to look at something that isn't visual appealing to the eye. I started out that way, but as I started to play more games with various types of graphics, I grew out of caring about them so much. Now I can just enjoy a game for what it is.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#28 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Emerald_Warrior

This. Graphics are a great enhancement, but it always comes down to the gameplay and content.

respect you both greatly friends, and I understand/appreciate your point, but I think I'm on the other side.

see, my favorite genre is rpgs, and personally, I find that for that genre specifically, graphics do matter to me greatly.
I guess its due to the reason I play rpgs; I like the sci-fi and fantasy settings, and if they don't look attractive and interesting, I bore quickly.

now, thats not to say the graphics matter the most, or that great graphics can overcome poor gameplay/design.

also, there is a distiction to be made between "great graphics" and "artistic/aesthetic design".
sometimes I like games in which the graphics perhaps aren't technically speaking top-notch, but maybe the game had a really unique art design, or some memorable areas that stuck out.