Do You Still Buy Games With Low Reviews But You Think Youll Like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Me_Ann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Me_Ann
Member since 2007 • 1079 Posts

And how far low of a score do you still find acceptable?

TreyRust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TreyRust
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

yes... a lot.

most games I buy get bad reviews because they are not mainstream, and they "suck" because they are not a FPS... I am not a big fan of mainstream, so I commonly ignore scores...

another thing is, if it got a bad review, that does NOT mean its a bad game... it all really boils down to the reviewers opinions, and everyones got a different opinion, so I tend to ignore just about everything in a review, and just read the stuff thats fact, as most is just opinion...

Trey.

Me_Ann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Me_Ann
Member since 2007 • 1079 Posts

yes... a lot.

most games I buy get bad reviews because they are not mainstream, and they "suck" because they are not a FPS... I am not a big fan of mainstream, so I commonly ignore scores...

another thing is, if it got a bad review, that does NOT mean its a bad game... it all really boils down to the reviewers opinions, and everyones got a different opinion, so I tend to ignore just about everything in a review, and just read the stuff thats fact, as most is just opinion...

Trey.

TreyRust
What games for example?
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Yeah, I still bought White Knight Chronicles and I'm enjoying it so far. I buy Dynasty Warriors games from time to time as well.
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

Depends on the game and the price.

For example I bought Tenchu Z which got 4.9 on GS. Wasn't going to get it, but friend convienced me and 2 other guys to get it so we can LAN it during the summer.

wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

yes... a lot.

Trey.

TreyRust

Wow, couldnt have said it better myself. Ya I buy whatever looks good to me. Only thing I use reviews for is to see if a game has any technical problems like glitches and whatnot.

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
Yes. But not often. I like to try them first and see if they're worth it.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

yeah, I think i have one or two thta got bad critic reviews that I really enjoy. Howver, if a game has a lot of bad reviews from critics and users, I'll reconsider.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Depends what you mean low reviews. On this site people have a hissyfit if a game gets a 7 without actually looking into what that number means and forgetting that its a 10 point scale. I play lots of games that get 6s or 7s and enjoy them.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Yes. I tend to form my own opinions about a game rather then to follow a complete strangers opinions.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I don't really worry about scores. If a reviewer talks about game design/gameplay stuff thatmatters (poor AI, little enemy variety, sloppy combat, bad camera, etc) then I give weight to what they say, but if reviewers talk about meaningless stuff (talking about loving the butt of the character in PN03 for two pages or spending one's review talking about one's dislike of Kratos) than I disregard what they say.

Also, reviewers sometimes either dislike or don't get certain genres. Most reviewers kicked Carnage Heart (an exceedingly original strategy game where one built and programmed mechs) for not being an action game.

I know their are gamers who talk about metacritic numbers as if they are badges of honor (or shame) and publishers that hand out bonuses based on metacritic scores, but that strikes me as a strange way to run a railroad.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Well, the lowest rated game I've bought this gen is MAG, which is currently at 75%. But tbh, I would've bought it even if it was rated 50%. I played the beta, loved it. Then watched some vids of the gaf clan playing the game on youtube, and was impressed enough to go out and buy it then and there. I did read almost every major review for it, but only because I am interested in knowing what others think about the game.... whether I agree or disagree with them. I view reviews mainly as entertainment or opinion pieces, and sometimes as a lenghty ad for it. That's one reason why i like how Gametrailers does their reviews. They spend a good 7-10 minutes pointing out the features of the game with corresponding video footage.

The_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_89
Member since 2009 • 594 Posts

Story is currently the most important aspect of a game for me, so when I look at reviews I don't look at the overall score right away, but instead the presentation score on IGN and the story score on GameTrailers. If the story is scored somewhere around an 8, I'll most likely be looking forward to it. I don't always agree with reviews though, so I usually go by my own impressions on gameplay videos

Grandotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Grandotaku
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts

Depends on the price and as long as it atleast got above a 6.4

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I know what kind of games I want, and I go by previews and what the critics have to say. There are some games that score really high that I'm not interested in. I wish every game had a demo I could try out. It would make my decisions a lot easier.
WhiteWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 WhiteWorld
Member since 2004 • 326 Posts

If BioShock 2 got like 50 or 60 at Metacritic I wouldn't buy it even though the first one was one of my favorite games. I'm not that way with movies though because I've liked so many movies that got panned by critics but movies are a lot more personal and also they don't leave me 80-100 dollars poorer (games are expensive in my country). Games usually get low scores because of generally low quality which is a lot less subjective than quality is in movies or bugginess and I have a really hard time overlooking big flaws or a lot of small ones and if all the critics agree it's poor my money's too precious.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Absolutely. The only time I trust the press any more is for advice that is basically incontrovertible, like the game has massive bugs that cause it not to work, or that there's planned day one missing content being sold as DLC -- stuff like that. The opinion of the press at large has become so myopic and so transparently corrupt that I'd rather watch politicians speak. I read forum impressions and rely on demos for my information now, and there have been plenty of games that scored low that I've bought that were dynamite experiences.

But then again, I don't buy games based on reviews anymore, good or bad, so I'm not really in a position to say either way.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
well i had the Godfather 2 preordered and it got low scores but i enjoyed the game, i have bought a few others that had low scores and enjoyed them aswell.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Reviews don't really influence me, but I think I have good tastes and with over 20 years of gaming experience and reading mags/sites I can spot out a quality game that i'd like. Most of the games that I'm excited for and end up purchasing get good reviews. Lost Odyssey is the only game I got excited for that didn't get good reviews, but it's a great game imo. One thing about reviews though, is that you really need to do a little bit of research first. You should have a couple of games in the genres that you like where you can say, "If this reviewer didn't think game x is good or likes game y more than game x, then we have incompatible taste in games of this genre." And it shouldn't be something super obvious that almost 100% of people agree with like, "They have to think Uncharted 2 is good."
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
If a game receives a low metacritic score, I'd take a careful look on its theme and then the player reviews. Darkest of the Days for example received horrible reviews, however since the theme of the game seems interesting and most of the player reviews considered the game "fun", albeit giving low scores, I ended up buying the game. In general though, if a game I was previously interested in during its production turns out sour, I would only touch it if it has at least a 5/10.
Avatar image for Cerberus_Legion
Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cerberus_Legion
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

Reviews do not deter me from buying any game. Most of KOEI's Warrior games are getting 5s across the board for lack of innovation, and yet, I buy 'em anyway because I love 'em, and have loved 'em since Dynasty Warriors 2. Same goes for many games in the 5 or 6 range. I've even bought games in the 3s or 4s, and TBH, it doesn't really matter to me so long as I enjoy the game. I don't even believe a 5 is bad, and it's not. It's just not compelling, and most Dynasty Warriors games are mindless, not compelling, but I still play 'em. I don't care for reviews - these reviews aren't attuned to my tastes in gaming, and thus, I never listened to them. If I'm disappointed in a game I purchase, it's on me, and it's not because a reviewer gave it a 4 or 5 or 6. It's because it wasn't to my tastes.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Well what do you consider a bad score? Every game I bought that had a score
Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

I guess I am swayed by reviews when it comes to buying games. If a game is getting below average reviews, I usually don't purchase them. I may rent the game, but its very rare I'll buy a game that is getting below average reviews.

Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cerberus_Legion

Well what do you consider a bad score? Every game I bought that had a score Diablo-B

I believe a bad score is a 4 or below. I'm of the opinion (relatively minor one) that a five is passable and works, its mechanics are not inherently broken, but it's definitely not cream of the crop. I agree with GamesTM's scoring method, in that a 5 is given to a game that simply performs to an adequate standard, but is not overall a magnificent title. I don't agree with many North American gaming publications and websites' scoring measures. A 7 is average? I believe a 7 to be a good game. A 5 is simply average, IMO.

Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Well what do you consider a bad score? Every game I bought that had a score Cerberus_Legion

I believe a bad score is a 4 or below. I'm of the opinion (relatively minor one) that a five is passable and works, its mechanics are not inherently broken, but it's definitely not cream of the crop. I agree with GamesTM's scoring method, in that a 5 is given to a game that simply performs to an adequate standard, but is not overall a magnificent title. I don't agree with many North American gaming publications and websites' scoring measures. A 7 is average? I believe a 7 to be a good game. A 5 is simply average, IMO.

I consider a 6, 60% or a C to be an average game.

Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cerberus_Legion

[QUOTE="Cerberus_Legion"]

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Well what do you consider a bad score? Every game I bought that had a score TheRaiderNation

I consider a 6, 60% or a C to be an average game.

Well, everyone is different. :) I don't, though. For me, a 5 is average and performs what it does adequately.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts

I prefer reviews that don't attach some number to the end. For example, Joystiq.

So on topic, yes. If it looks good to me, I'll buy it.

cdav89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cdav89
Member since 2006 • 381 Posts

Review scores don't matter to me, it's the things they talk about in the review that I'm interested in. Sometimes if a game interests me I'll look at a few sites to see what the general consensus of the game is and check out what kinds of problems it may have. If the game's been counted down for problems that don't bother me (graphics, story, etc) then I'll head to the forums and see what other people think about it. After taking into account the pros and cons of the game I check to see how cheap I can find it and usually pick up a copy. There's been a lot of games I've played that haven't had good reviews but I thoroughly enjoyed (Dynasty Warriors, WET) and of course I'v played my fair share of games that have had great reviews that I found to be broken or way overrated (MW2 anyone?)

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I like to rent a few games that don't do too well review wise.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#30 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I like to rent a few games that don't do too well review wise.Yagr_Zero
Ive bought RPGs that GS has given 6-7s, I havent met an rpg that I didnt like.
ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

Yeah I still buy them. If a game looks good to me I don't really care what score it has, I still will probably end up liking it. A lot of games I love have some really bad scores. I do the same with movies too. I don't care if critics gave it a bad score, has nothing to do with my personal opinion of it.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#32 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Well, I got a crazy feeling I might like White Knight Chronicles...
Avatar image for VigilanteArtist
VigilanteArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VigilanteArtist
Member since 2004 • 699 Posts

I try to look at the content of the review, rather than the score. If one reviewer after another slams a game's story, polish, combat, etc., then chances are they're right. The main two things I look for in a game are story and polish. I can forgive lackluster combat if those two aspects are good enough to keep me coming back for more playtime.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
If I find a game with a theme that is interesting to me and the price is low enough, it'll give it a go. I have willed to risk it with games that have gotten 7-6 and have found them surprisingly good. Reviews are a guideline, not rules to follow. Of course, if a game gets a score below 4 I won't buy it regardless of the discount.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
Reviews are certainly a factor, especially in an age where there can be up to 60+ new releases (across all platforms) in one week... having said that, I have on occasion bought a game that received low to average scores just because the game appealed to me in some way...
hangeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hangeer
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts

buying dante's inferno. This score thing is just so outrageous. If you watch gamespot's past reviews, you noticed that absolutely the most horrible games would get a 5.5-6.0 score, and this game scored at 6.5 is just crazy.

marcl18123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 marcl18123
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts
Of course, and some games could get a 1 and i would still get it if i liked what i saw.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yep. I'm playing WKC right now and really like it. One of my favorite games this generation is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. I also love the Harvest Moon games as well.

Avatar image for TIE_Elite_Pilot
TIE_Elite_Pilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 TIE_Elite_Pilot
Member since 2004 • 829 Posts

usually a 7.5 is a good game. if I'm at all on the fence with a game, I'll rent it first... think the lowest scoring game I bought this gen was Mercs 2, and loved every second of it. I'm sure AvP won't score well, but I've got that pre-ordered already.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
All the time. Glory of Heracles, Sands of Destruction, Nostalgia, etc. I still enjoy these games even though they got mediocre reviews. I also enjoyed Bullet Witch. Ultimately, reviews really don't matter if they're games that match my taste. I only look for reviews if it's for games that I don't know anything about.
gbpackers94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gbpackers94
Member since 2008 • 685 Posts
Yeah I buy a few if some reviews seem to really like them. An example of this is 50 cent blood on the sand which got a 72.
Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Archendrus
Member since 2010 • 306 Posts
Absolutely, the score doesn't mean a whole lot to me anyway. When I read a review I'm lookin' for info about the game, not whether reviewer X liked it or not. I don't care if he/she thought the story sucked, or the characters were flat, or that the game failed to reinvent the wheel. The only thing that might deter me from buying a game is if most of the player reviews are also low. Still I took a chance with Sonic the Hedgehog for PS3 and wished I hadn't, super crazy uber broken controls.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Definitely, for sure.