Do you like the idea of HD versions?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#1 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Not really, I don't care one bit about graphics as far as my opinion of a game, so I'm good playing them the way they were made. Not that I avoid all HD re-makes, but I don't think there should be as much of a push for them as there is.

ZhugeL1ang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 ZhugeL1ang
Member since 2012 • 115 Posts

No, I mostly consider HD updates to be a double-dipping scam. While there are a few exceptions, hopefully it will be a passing fad that dies off sooner than later until publishers start taking it more seriously.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Do you buy the games that are re-released in HD? Do you like the idea about them?

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Yes. I didn't play God of War, Sly Cooper and Jak & Daxter on PS2, so it's really pleasant that I'm able to play them in HD on PS3.

------

Oh, and old Metal Gear Solid games too.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
It depends on the quality. Not all HD re-releases are done well.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I like Final Fantasy X so much that I might buy a Vita specifically because of the HD remake (depending on how well the remake is done, of course)
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#7 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

When done well, yes. Okami HD made an already gorgeous game even more beautiful while keeping the base game completely intact. It's a perfect example of the good HD remasters can do.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44369 Posts
Yes I very much love the idea of HD remakes and I buy them if I feel that they've been well done.
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#9 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Obviously it's a way for developers to make even more cash..

But it's also a great way for gamers to play much loved titles from last gen consoles on current gen consoles with better graphics..

So basically both parties win!

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Yes great idea.. upgraded graphics and lets people play old classics they may have missed.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Quite a few of the HD collections and re-masters have been excellent and in some cases, such as the God of War Collection and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus remakes, the games actually play better because of increased and stable frame rates.

Other than rushed and crappy efforts, I can't imagine a viable argument against these types of remakes and re-releases.  

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Sorta, For the most part it is the old classics that get enhanced textures and models. And since many seem to put more weight on graphics today then it means they'll easier enjoy the classics that some of us older gamers grew up with. Of course like all things it can either be a success like Resident Evil Remake, Or a flunk like TMNT : Turtles in time Re-shelled
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

Do you buy the games that are re-released in HD? Do you like the idea about them?

The_Last_Ride

I like HD re-releases for games that I'm interested in that weren't previously available for the current platform. The first MGS I played was MGS 4. The MGS HD collection gave me the opportunity to go back and play the older versions in the chronological order of the story, which made it all the more interesting. I also enjoyed the Doom 3 BFG edition because I had a blast playing that one on the PS 3 as well, even though I had played Doom 3 on the PC when it was originally released. I've seen some criticism of the graphics of Doom 3 BFG, but it looked good enough to me.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

yes i enjoy them and have bought a few. RE4 HD, MGS HD Collection and the Silent Hill Collection

antiAntag0nist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 antiAntag0nist
Member since 2012 • 62 Posts

I like HD remakes as it allows me to play older games that I didn't have a chance to play originally. It is also easier, and cheaper, than tracking down an original copy of a game and the console it was on. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 is coming soon. I never played it on PS2 (or the other games) so I am looking forward to playing it.

txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 txr302
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts
Personally, no. Graphics is the least important aspect for video games. It's convenient for the gamer if they don't own the previous platform, but I don't see any other reason or purpose for it.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It is not new. They done things just this with games many times before but named it other things.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
i hope all games get a hd remake
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i like the idea of remakes that stay true to the original while increasing playability
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44635 Posts
Yes and no. YES: Yes because I like the idea of playing the games I used to love on new systems so I don't always have to hold on to older stuff. Sometimes they actually improve on original games in the process and that's good. Though sometimes I wouldn't mind if it just came the way I used to love them. Just depends on the game really. NO: And no because many times they simply waste the talent of the original studio remaking it. Just hand it off to another studio to work on. There's lots of struggling studios that couldn't make a good original game to save their life, however they may be more than enough to simply get games that are already finished in its design, that simply need new coding to work with new systems, give those games to them. I don't think Silicon Knights was that great of a developer but even they could port MGS1 to the GameCube, and make some upgrades to it in the process. I think if publishers revitalized their previous works through smaller studios they can keep an active catalog available that will continue to bring in revenues.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]

capaho

I like HD re-releases for games that I'm interested in that weren't previously available for the current platform. The first MGS I played was MGS 4. The MGS HD collection gave me the opportunity to go back and play the older versions in the chronological order of the story, which made it all the more interesting. I also enjoyed the Doom 3 BFG edition because I had a blast playing that one on the PS 3 as well, even though I had played Doom 3 on the PC when it was originally released. I've seen some criticism of the graphics of Doom 3 BFG, but it looked good enough to me.

there are old games i like that i really like having as an hd release. I am looking forward to a game like FFX hd
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

I haven't purchased any HD titles. But I support the idea. Going back playing old titles usually isn't ideal on a new idea.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 capaho
there are old games i like that i really like having as an hd release. I am looking forward to a game like FFX hdThe_Last_Ride
That's why I like HD re-releases. If you're a fan of a particular series, it's nice to be able to play earlier editions that predate the current platforms.
usernamenoway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 usernamenoway
Member since 2012 • 43 Posts
Overall, I do like it. It gives me a chance to play games that I missed on other consoles (like RE CV on the xbla) I know they dont add much to the game....but honestly....if the game was successful enough to call for an hd version it probably wasnt that bad right?.....I suppose they could add a few things and some hd versions do.....I like them though.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

the only HD game i have bought was doom 3

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
[QUOTE="lamprey263"] NO: And no because many times they simply waste the talent of the original studio remaking it. Just hand it off to another studio to work on. There's lots of struggling studios that couldn't make a good original game to save their life, however they may be more than enough to simply get games that are already finished in its design, that simply need new coding to work with new systems, give those games to them. I don't think Silicon Knights was that great of a developer but even they could port MGS1 to the GameCube, and make some upgrades to it in the process. I think if publishers revitalized their previous works through smaller studios they can keep an active catalog available that will continue to bring in revenues.

Are you referring to remakes or HD remastered collections? Most HD collections are handed off to smaller dev teams (Ico/SotC was handled by Bluepoint, Zone of the Enders by High Voltage, etc.) while the original teams are working on new projects. It's not always the same devs working on remakes, either. Halo: Anniversary Edition and Ocarina of Time 3D were both done by different developers, for instance.
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Grammaton-Cleric

I don't think Silicon Knights was that great of a developer but even they could port MGS1 to the GameCube, and make some upgrades to it in the process.

lamprey263

Silicon Knights made the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain so bow your head and show some respect. :P

(okay, so they made Too Human as well...)

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]

I don't think Silicon Knights was that great of a developer but even they could port MGS1 to the GameCube, and make some upgrades to it in the process.

Grammaton-Cleric

Silicon Knights made the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain so bow your head and show some respect. :P

(okay, so they made Too Human as well...)

And a crappy X-Men game, supposedly. Nowadays, SK is a smaller version of Rare: their glory days are long gone.
Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I do, but not for the HD part. I buy them again, because I dont have an Xbox/Playstation anymore and I love the tropies/achievement support. Plus, alot of the games Ive gotten the collections for, I never played the first time around.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blueresident87

It depends on the quality. Not all HD re-releases are done well.Yagr_Zero

Precisely. I would be more interested in the idea of HD remakes if more time and care was put into them. As it is, they're hit or miss.

gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

there were many games last gen that i wanted to get but never ended up getting that are getting re-released now. 

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]there are old games i like that i really like having as an hd release. I am looking forward to a game like FFX hdcapaho
That's why I like HD re-releases. If you're a fan of a particular series, it's nice to be able to play earlier editions that predate the current platforms.

oh yeah, it's also nice to get a graphical improvement, i just hope there will be a Battlefront 2 HD soon though, Then my three favorite games of last gen have been released for HD
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grammaton-Cleric

And a crappy X-Men game, supposedly. Nowadays, SK is a smaller version of Rare: their glory days are long gone.

1PMrFister

Yeah, I bought that XMEN game for ten dollars.

I wasted ten dollars.

bagelrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bagelrj
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
HD re-releases are just an excuse to make more money
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Last_Ride
HD re-releases are just an excuse to make more money bagelrj
don't you like them at all?
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Blueresident87

That is probably true to an extent, but they have great value to people who want to play the games again and even more so for people who never played the game initially.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="bagelrj"]HD re-releases are just an excuse to make more money Blueresident87

That is probably true to an extent, but they have great value to people who want to play the games again and even more so for people who never played the game initially.

my thoughts exactly
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 capaho

MGS 1-3 were not available for the PS 3 or the Xbox 360 until MGS HD, so I'd say you're wrong on that assessment.

BTW, is that link you're using for a signature legit or is it trading in illegal registration keys?

CursedChamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CursedChamp
Member since 2013 • 485 Posts
In a way I like these HD collections.
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Grammaton-Cleric

All products are made to generate revenue so kudos on that revelation.

I look forward to your next blog: Water is wet.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Grammaton-Cleric

BTW, is that link you're using for a signature legit or is it trading in illegal registration keys?

capaho

I was wondering that myself...

Game_Guy567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Game_Guy567
Member since 2009 • 3427 Posts

I wouldn't pick an HD remake over the original game. I bought the MGS HD collection because of the collection of games rather than HD graphics. Although I could see some obvious upgrades from the PSP version of Peace Walker.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#44 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I think it's great idea, I brought the sly cooper hd remake when it came out since I never played sly cooper before that. I only buy if I never played the game. FFX remake doesn't interest me since I beat that game to death and beyond

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 The_Last_Ride

I think it's great idea, I brought the sly cooper hd remake when it came out since I never played sly cooper before that. I only buy if I never played the game. FFX remake doesn't interest me since I beat that game to death and beyond

da_illest101
same here, but it's been over 5 years for my part, and i want to get the magus sisters and Anima again. I would also take a crack on the dark aions again
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 capaho

[QUOTE="capaho"]

Grammaton-Cleric

I was wondering that myself...

It's a link aggregator site for websites that are selling prevously registered keys for PC games.  I suspect the member who posted the link is getting paid per click on the links.  It looks rather dubious.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 capaho

I wouldn't pick an HD remake over the original game. I bought the MGS HD collection because of the collection of games rather than HD graphics. Although I could see some obvious upgrades from the PSP version of Peace Walker.

Game_Guy567

I bought the MGS HD collection because the original games were released before the PS 3 existed.  That's where the value of HD versions comes in for me, being able to play older games that are updated for the newer platforms.  I expect to see a lot more of them after the next gen consoles are released.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#48 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

It looks rather dubious.capaho

Yep. Removing it now. Better safe than sorry...

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 capaho

[QUOTE="capaho"]It looks rather dubious.c_rake

Yep. Removing it now. Better safe than sorry...

I agree, I can't imagine that it's possible to sell previously registered software keys without violating IP rights.  Most SLAs for PC software expressly prohibit the re-distribution of PC software or registration keys.

Heavenlysix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 Heavenlysix
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

i really only buy the HD remakes of games i once played when i was younger. age of empire for example i played that back in its day, liked it alot and sadly i lost it, so when the HD remake of it came out i was exctatic and bought it almost straight away.