Do you like last gen more than this gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Synctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Synctor
Member since 2012 • 31 Posts
Anyone prefer last gen to this gen?
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
No not at all. I enjoyed back then and the games are still good but there is so much that this gen has brought that I love. Stuff like proliferation of online multiplayer, achievements, dlc, patches, improvements in the games themselves, ability of systems to do so much more then gaming, new control methods, etc.
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

I honestly cant tell. I think they're for the most part, identical. Though I must say my top5 games ever are composed of last gen games w/e that means...

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

No not at all. I enjoyed back then and the games are still good but there is so much that this gen has brought that I love. Stuff like proliferation of online multiplayer, achievements, dlc, patches, improvements in the games themselves, ability of systems to do so much more then gaming, new control methods, etc.Archangel3371

Thing is, many of those pros you point out are abused

overpriced DLC

unfinished games released before their time so that they can be patched later on

oversaturation of MP based games in detriment of SP experiences

I liked when things were simple. Gaming is turning too much mainstream for my taste (not to sound an hipster but the growing popularity of the medium is ruining it for the most part)

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Nope. This gen is my favourite gen, and I've been gaming since the mid 80s. There are things that need to be fixed (with regards to DLC mostly) but there's also the widest variety of games there's ever been (indie games are such a boon to the industry) and the big budget games are nice showy pieces when you just want to shut your brain off and kill stuff. JRPGs are a bit pokey these days, of course, but there's so much other stuff out there to play I don't mind too much.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#6 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

The only machine I enjoy more than last gen is the PS3. With many great titles getting HD remakes, I get a chance to play games I never had the opportunity to before. Plus HD visuals and wireless controller, I'm a happy camper.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Absolutely! Fighting games were better with strong output from Tekken, DOA, GG. Survival horror was booming with SH and Fatal Frame plus platformer variety with Jak and Daxter, Sly and Ape Escape. Also JRPG'S were FAR superior and overall developers were not afraid to experiment.

That's not to say this gen is terrible though it was a disappointed for the first 2-3 years. Developers only in the past year or two have grasped current gen tech and making unique experiences, this gen has plenty of offer that's why I think it needs more time to flourish.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Thing is, many of those pros you point out are abused overpriced DLC unfinished games released before their time so that they can be patched later on oversaturation of MP based games in detriment of SP experiences I liked when things were simple. Gaming is turning too much mainstream for my taste (not to sound an hipster but the growing popularity of the medium is ruining it for the most part)4dr1el
Well I just don't buy dlc if I feel it's overpriced. I haven't ran into any problems of unfinished games myself. I even played through and immensely enjoyed Skyrim on the 360 before it was patched. I still find many enjoyable SP experiences so I'm fine in this area as well. I love that gaming has become so mainstream myself. Having been an avid gamer for 30+ years I feel that the evolution of gaming up to now has brought way more good to it.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

yes just for the sole reason multiplayer wasnt the number one focus

on top of that all we have is action shooters this gen

where as last gen had variety

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
No, this gen lead me to playing many more games than I ever have before. Plus the huge jump in graphics was really nice.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Gaming is one of the few media that has consistently improved over time; so no.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I think the games from this generation are great. I think what IS sad is that too much time was spent fvcking around with inferior control mechanisms and that if the focus had been strictly on honing conventional experiences, this generation could have been the greatest one yet. As it is it was still superb, even in spite of the mountains of Wii and Kinect shovelware stinking everything up, but the title still goes to the PS2, PS1, and SNES eras, which were just godly (and several years shorter, btw).

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Last generation was way better. Back then games were about games, and now they're mostly about extracting revenue from idiots for stuff that used to be free and making vaguely interactive movies which regard the player as an inconvenience.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I think last gen it was quality over quantity, and vice-versa this gen. We've had a lot of good games this gen, and less great games last gen.

Having said that, I think this generation is overall better than last because I'd rather play more good games than less great games.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

There is far less different between last gen and this gen than many claims.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Of course. Back then we didn't have on-disc DLC, day-one DLC, online passes, motion control and 3D gaming.

The games were a lot better back then. There was more creativity and originality. Today, every developer is trying to make the next Halo or Call of Duty killer. Meaning the evil empire of the shooter genre has taken over the market, and game consoles today are full of boring CoD and Halo clones.

There aren't enough good platformers and JRPGs this generation. Because of the way things have been going, I'm not gonna continue to support the gaming industry after this generation ends. :\

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#17 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

actually youd have to go back to the snes gen for me ,

-because last gen was exactly like this gen just with a little more variety and difficulty in games

and the gen before that left me w only one good console of the 3 - that the n64 , so ya im going with snes era ,,

snes is soo damn good i play it today with no problem the diversity inthe library is whats missing this gen and this started last gen as well ,

to many first person shooters way less split screen games

more focus on ripping the consumer off w dlc

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I dunno, gens are just a dumb console term.

I still play older games if that's what you mean.

Newer stuff like Mass Effect I enjoy alot.

Also I like new (first person) Fallout better than old (top down) Fallout.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#19 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

'Gen' is a silly term in the first place...

I don't prefer one over the other, really.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Yes and for many reasons:

• Stealth games were stealth games.
  • Survival horror games were survival horror games.
  • It wasn't all about money and copying, there was actually variety.

And the main reason why last gen was better:

• There was a line that seperated movies and games, that line no longer exists.
dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts
Tbh, the 16-bit era had better quality titles and more variety than this gen
naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

Both generations were very good. Both had amazing games and their fair shair of crappy clones. But I still love the last gen more that the current one, mainly because of the PS2.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
Heck no. I've been gaming 35 years and this is my favorite generation ever. There is more variety in the console market than ever before and the Internet makes dipping a toe into the water (in the form of demos and betas) easier, quicker and cheaper than ever.
Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

I've definitely set more fond memories during the PlayStation 2 era than this generation. At this point I don't even own a PlayStation 3 anymore, or any console for that matter. I guess to me the previous generation just had better games and more split-screen so I could have my buddies over. I sure enjoyed the current consoles (owned them all at some point) but the fun gradually just wore off. Could be due to age maybe?

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

No, I enjoyed every gen... despite its downsides......

Zonno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zonno
Member since 2012 • 69 Posts

Are there generations for PC as well?

northernrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 northernrage
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts

07-26-2012

nah they had limited online features and most games had poor graphics

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Archangel3371  Online
Another reason why I love this generation is because of how quickly and deeply games get to discounted. It's incredibly easy to find tons of great games at cheap prices. Also thanks to systems having mass storage devices it's becoming increasingly easy and affordable to get classic games from previous generations that would have been very difficult and costly to obtain otherwise.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Its not that simple a question for me, but I suppose I will answer like this:

The mainstream big tier games I liked ALOT better last gen, they were more diverse, and not as comform.

The obscure game titles built for niche audiences I like atleast as much this gen as the last gen, so that part I like better.

So if you ask me if the big major players did a better job this gen then last gen, I would say Not even in the same ballpark at "close" but smaller devs and Pubs have picked up my interrest more and more. I have been really surprised in Square Enix ability as a Publisher, they have published ALOT of games I really like this gen, and a great deal of eastern European games, have been far better then what I was expecting.

But the main players and publishers, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, MS, Sony (notice the lack of THQ and Ninty on here) Have been a huge letdown, removed alot of genres, or mutilated genres for the sake of "a larger audience" has basicly all but killed off alot of the genres I liked, coupled with the complete absense of difficulty (and no making enemies buletsponges does NOT count as difficulty) pretty much underlined that most of the big players, really don't care about the long term audience of gaming, and systimaticely forsakes playerbases for quick cashins. Running franchices to the ground by oversaturation to please shareholders.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

In terms of games, they are fairly close, but I will have to go with last gen for sure. So many classics were born last gen that I still enjoy more than their current releases.

In terms of business practices and the industry in general, I miss last gen so much. I miss knowing that I could buy a game and it was complete, no patches, no DRM, no DLC, just a full game that I could enjoy. Developers and Publishers have gotten so greedy and petty that they are single handedly destroying what I loved about video games. I can't buy a new game anymore without worrying about it needing a ton of patches, or the story being incomplete unless I buy a DLC pack, or that if I buy a new game it will have DRM/online passes preventing me from fully enjoying the game. I haven't completed decided to stop playing new games, but if this practice continued (or gets worse), I'm going 100% retro.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#31 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

God no, this gen has brought many more great games than any other gen in history. The amount of games that are about 8 is mind blowing, easily a couple hundred worth playing. Nostaglic glasses aren't that sweet.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#32 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69474 Posts

This gen has some great games but the variety feels severly lacking.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69474 Posts

This gen has some great games but the variety feels severly lacking.

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts
Yes I like last gen more, this gen's games seem more problematic than less gen.
brandon2802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 brandon2802
Member since 2004 • 1773 Posts
I play more games from last gen, mostly because games now are so multiplayer focused and my friends don't care for games. Plus I can get all the older games dirt cheap.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I like this generation more. The revival of fighting games has really made the fighting game community much stronger. And I'm sure me not playing Final Fantasy XI10-15 hours a day like last gen, giving me more time to play games from this gen, has something to do with it.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I like this gen better than last gen.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

No but with the way things are shaping up, I'm fairly confident I will cherish this gen more than the next. I will admit last gen spawned many classic franchises compared to this gen's constant upchuck of sequels and rehashes. Don't get started on the nightmarish milk factories known as 'DLC' and 'multiplayer'.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

IMO last gen was a bit better. It just seemed liked games offered more variety, creativity, and challenge. The only things I like alot about this gen are multiplayer, online stores, and of course the better graphics. Development costs have gotten so high this gen that a AAA title needs to sell several million copies to turn any kind of profit.

My biggest gripe is that this gen didn't really add anything new gameplay wise. In some ways it took a big step backwards. Motion controls be damned!!!!

Maybe I'm just getting old. :(

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I did for awhile, and I still kind of do. However, in the past few months I've been able to get into some great games, and I'm having an overall good time gaming. I think there are plenty of good games to find for this gen, though you might have to put some effort into finding them.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

This is my favorite generation ever.

• Third person games finally control well. As much as i liked the MGS games on the PS1 and PS2, they controlled like sh*t. Gears and Uncharted have redifined third person shooters.
  • Multiplayer is more fluid, well integerated and better than ever. Playing Resistance online was my first experience with MP this gen and I was blown away by the lack of lag and how smooth everything felt. CoD, Battlefield, Uncharted, Killzone and MAG have pushed it even further. I have put in over 1000 hours playing MP this gen.
  • Amazing variety in titles. Yes, there have been way too many shooters, but there is something for everyone. LBP, Flower, Journey, Limbo, Shadow Complex, Braid, From Dust and dozens of other
  • Graphics have finally reached movie styIe presentation. God of War 3 looks better than last gen's CGi, hell it looks like CGi. MGS3 ran like crap on the PS2, but MGS4 is smooth and gorgeous and is bettered by the Uncharteds, Killzones and Gears.
  • I have never seen massive open world games like Assassin's Creed, Red Dead and Crysis.
  • Achievements/Trophies. Finally a system where you get rewarded for finding every last secret in the game.
  • Motion Controls. I know most people despise motion controls, but after playing FPSs and third person shooters with the move controller, I can never go back.
  • Metal Gear Solid 4.

I have some problems with this gen including games that feel too similar to their predecessors, yearly CoD/Halo, Assassin's and Battlefield entries, day 1 DLC and safe sequels but for every safe sequel like CoD, Gears 3, Uncahrted 3 or God of War Acsesion , there is something like Batman AC, LBP2, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Tomb Radier or Bioshock Infinite.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i thought i was the minority, but i think the current gen games are better...but its not a slam dunk. this gen has its annoyanceswhat i love most is that the controls and a lot of game mechanics have been tightened up. the clunkiness of games are getting less and less.graphics and storage have allowed for more immersive gameplay. voice acting games have come a long way since last gen. i like patches because they fix games post launch. people say they make incomplete games, but how many games were delayed last gen? i remember gt4 was delayed a couple months, so at least games are getting released on time. i didn't really get into multiplayer games on consoles because of the internet connection (pc gaming for that) but now i can play fps at home without going to a pc place or buying an expensive gaming pc

what i miss most about last gen was the price of games and budgets to make them, which led to a lot of creative constraints on games.its why theres no variety. death to good jrpgs is a very sad thing.