Do you hate first person shooters?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

earlaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 earlaps
Member since 2008 • 221 Posts

I would like to see game reviews that consider the fact that some people absolutely can't tolerate specific types of games. For example, I hate seeing Nascar games reviewed by people who spend half the review making fun of oval tracks and left turns.

On the other hand, people have the right to hate Nascar, hate sports games, etc.

I think that there is a silent majority of people who hate first person shooters but are afraid to say so. Anyone want to stick their neck out on this one?

BIGPIMPING187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BIGPIMPING187
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Yes i will stick my head out there i hate first person shooters, well not all of them but most. I'm more of a rpg gamer, eventhou most of the rpg games have sucked lately, they need to go back to the good old days of rpg game.
Axel_rocks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Axel_rocks14
Member since 2007 • 780 Posts
I hate the direction that FPS's are going and most of the people who play them. The people who are FPS fantatics have obviously not played a FPS before Halo.
prasath_amd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 prasath_amd
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts

I would like to see game reviews that consider the fact that some people absolutely can't tolerate specific types of games. For example, I hate seeing Nascar games reviewed by people who spend half the review making fun of oval tracks and left turns.

On the other hand, people have the right to hate Nascar, hate sports games, etc.

I think that there is a silent majority of people who hate first person shooters but are afraid to say so. Anyone want to stick their neck out on this one?

earlaps

If it wasn't for First Person Shooters I won't be here @ this forum.......

My Favorite Games were:-

1.Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (Most Favorite)

2.Crysis

3.Half-Life 2,All Episodes,Portal

5.Quake 4,Doom 3

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

I don't hate first-person shooters, but I hate the high pedestal we've all put the genre on. It's sad to see that first-person shooters are being put ahead of platformers and adventure games.

I do enjoy Metroid, CoD4, and even Halo's multiplayer occasionally, but I would rather play a variety of games instead of the same-old shoot-and-kill games we hype today.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I hate how most of them are just like every other shooter that came out before it. Games like TF2 still give me hope that there is some creativity left in the genre.
cjgangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cjgangsta
Member since 2004 • 1095 Posts
Most of them I hate but I like third person shooters better.
Ishdul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ishdul
Member since 2005 • 85 Posts
It's not that I hate them, it's that I don't like them the same degree that everyone else seems to. I can't imagine getting BioShock, Halo 3, CoD4, Orange Box and Crysis in the same year... It just seems like a total overload. I got Half-Life and Unreal Tournament in 1999 and then Half-Life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004 in 2004 and I really don't feel the need to try much more than that.
earlaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 earlaps
That is a good point. It seems like the professional reviewers are happy to be playing five FPS games in one day, and many of us are looking for a mix of all types of games, or at least several types.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts
I really enjoy first-person shooters, but I will admit that the market is a bit saturated with them. I think the genre needs some more changes to keep it fresh. Games like Portal have reinvigorated my interest, but that can hardly be classified as an FPS.
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#12 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
well FPS is one of my most favorite types of games but there has only been a few great ones lately
Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts
FPS is my most played genre, but I don't think its necesarily my favorite. Every genre has good games and bad games, and the FPS genre has SO MANY games and most of them are bad, that's the problem. Games like Half life 2, Half life 1, Crysis, Team fortress and such deserve to be called good games, regardless of what genre they are in
mickymanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mickymanga
Member since 2007 • 31 Posts

I don't exactly hate FPS games, but this genre is definitely the most disliked one in my books.

I can have games with swords and magic to slash and blow up people. But not guns and knives. Comes way too close to today's world's violence that I so despise.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
Only FPS games I've ever enjoyed where Halo CE,Halo 3,Half Life series and Bioshock, and trust me when I say I've played my share of FPS they can get old faster than 3 day old milk.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Anyone who hates Half-Life 2 probably also hates snow on Christmas Eve, getting an extra McNugget and kittens.

Lisaanne30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Lisaanne30
Member since 2007 • 1472 Posts
yes i do, i am more into RPG and action adventure games.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
I enjoy FPS when I'm playing against other people. I still say that in over 10 years of online gaming, some of my favorite online gaming was playing Quake CTF. However, I won't bother touching an FPS if it's just me playing. I won't say I hate it, but I do pretty much consider it a waste of time.
prasath_amd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 prasath_amd

I hate how most of them are just like every other shooter that came out before it. Games like TF2 still give me hope that there is some creativity left in the genre.foxhound_fox

I feel crysis has more creativity.......

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Well its probably my favorite genre overall besides RPGS and most played so no I enjoy them, lack of creativity or not. Its more about the immersion, atmosphere and action for me thats the most enjoyable aspects of the genre. I dont really like sports games but I dont go hating on them.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Anyone who hates Half-Life 2 probably also hates snow on Christmas Eve, getting an extra McNugget and kittens.

UpInFlames

Truer words have never been spoken!
prasath_amd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 prasath_amd

Well its probably my favorite genre overall besides RPGS and most played so no I enjoy them, lack of creativity or not. Its more about the immersion, atmosphere and action for me thats the most enjoyable aspects of the genre. I dont really like sports games but I dont go hating on them.GodModeEnabled

Same pinch with U

Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

I asbolutely don't care about FPS as long as they don't twist any RPG.

Indifference is been told to be worser than hatred. At any rate, whatever is fine, just not for me. EQ and CoV are the closest thing to FPS that I enjoy...and as you can see, I am still extremely far.

Tabula Rasa is an example of a RPG twisted by FPS...not that I blame it...I just...don't care and pass on. I don't see how THAT could be refined to make it entertaining to me.

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
No, actually I love them and FPS is one of my favorite genre
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Show me a more immersive game than an FPS, I'll play it daily.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I love FPS. I've been playting them since the day of Wolfenstein. Over the years I've gotten to see the stories in these games improve, but on a negative note a lot of them these days tend to be a bit like the one before.
patriots2871

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 patriots2871
Member since 2007 • 21445 Posts
i love fps
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

I hate the direction that FPS's are going and most of the people who play them. The people who are FPS fantatics have obviously not played a FPS before Halo. Axel_rocks14

Heh, what are you trying to say? That people who like FPSs nowadays didn't play FPSs before Halo? I've played FPSs since Doom and it's still my favorite genre.

Dreski83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#30 Dreski83
Member since 2003 • 1104 Posts
I don't hate shooters, I love'em!! But they are wearing thin on my tastes... being exposed to them so much compared to other genre's just doesn't seem fair. Maybe if more FPS's were well made like HL2, things could balance out in the genre ;)
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts
I dont hate FPS, just grown tired of them.
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#32 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts

I hate bad FPS. if your gonna make one, with so many, make it right.

earlaps
Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts
I like FPS shooters but I just can't play them for a long period of time, I might get into one and then finally beat but after spending a decent amount of time w/ an FPS I need like a month or two break before I have the urge to get invovled with another one. So I don't hate FPS games, but too much of them at once is sickening to me
kyuss015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 kyuss015
Member since 2006 • 293 Posts

I hate bad FPS. if your gonna make one, with so many, make it right.

[QUOTE="earlaps"]

ocdog45

Very true. I too like First person shooters, but I might have to hold out on any more. I'll admit that there are a bit too many of them, but in the end, they are good gamesgenerally.

T-Law

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 T-Law
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts

When I had an N64 way back when all I played was Goldeneye and Perfect Dark! However I've not liked any FPS since as much as I did them. I just can't get into FPS anymore.

FPS are ok, but I think nowadays I prefer the multiple views you get with 3rd person games. Games like Hitman (also Oblivion, although not a shooter) where you can swap between 1st person and 3rd person view I always think work really well. They just feel less limiting than a purely 1st person perspective. Although FPS are supposedly more immersive as in you seeing through the characters eyes, there is no peripheral vision which is a major part of how we see, and also the way the gun is always held up, just bobbing about a little (even when running) seems kinda stupid. Killzone offered one of the most well done 1st person perspectives in recent years, but alot of others don't seem to work as well.

earlaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 earlaps
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You paint a very vivid picture with your comments.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
I hate average first person shooters, more than I hate other mediocre titles. Still love good ones, though.
mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
I've always like FPS, since the days of Duke Nukem and medal of honor frontline. I've never been a fan of RPG's (except oblivion and ocarina of time). I guess it's all about opinion
theslimdavylp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 theslimdavylp
Member since 2003 • 1151 Posts
FPS are the $*&%... I love them but I love other games too... why does everybody wanna hate? If you like them, play them, if not, then go play something else wtf... we do have a lot of FPS but they are all different and unique in their own way... look at Bioshock, COD4, Halo 3... they are all different and great. Dont you guys remember Golden Eye!!
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
I love FPS, but there's too many mediocre ones being released.
Conker36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Conker36
Member since 2006 • 101 Posts
Some of them are pretty fun, but I really don't prefer them.
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
No, I love FPS, but they are almost over played out at this time.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
No, I do not hate first person shooters.
PS2gamer1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PS2gamer1013
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I like to play a variety of games but FPS arn't my favorites. Probably TPS and RPG.

ravens4life75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ravens4life75
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
no i enjoy playing first shooter games these are the types of games that i have always been into - i like going through solo mission campaigns - i have been into these ever since i was in my early 20s and i still play them i know i am going to get some haters and that is fine they are just what i prefer - if i dont like a game i wont rent it - and it goes the same with everyone else if they dont like a certain type then dont rent or buy it and get ones that you enjoy isnt that what we all want to do - play the games that we enjoy playing :)
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
no i enjoy playing first shooter games these are the types of games that i have always been into - i like going through solo mission campaigns - i have been into these ever since i was in my early 20s and i still play them i know i am going to get some haters and that is fine they are just what i prefer - if i dont like a game i wont rent it - and it goes the same with everyone else if they dont like a certain type then dont rent or buy it and get ones that you enjoy isnt that what we all want to do - play the games that we enjoy playing :)ravens4life75
Please don't bump old threads, especially ancient ones like this.