Do you guys think old video games were better then nowaday games?

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Old games made more impact because they were new at one time. Personally, I'll play games based on the mood I'm in, and how much time I happen to have available, on any of several different systems. Android, PC, Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, GBA SP, and any of a dozen other systems. Old, or new, if I'm entertained, that's all I need.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#152 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]

That's the thing about Doom levels - they were complex, but being complex doesn't automatically make the level design good. It's not like you would beat the levels by solving puzzles or anything. It was just "wander around aimlessly until you finally find the key/switch you're looking for".

I love Doom, it's one of my favorite games. It's just that once I get to the second episode, almost every level from there on out makes me think "oh damnit, I hate this level because of all the running in circles I know I'm going to do". Doom II can be even worse in that regard; some of the levels in that game are atrocious.

JML897

Some of the best and most memorable levels in FPS history, not sure where you are coming at.

This level is complete garbage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwBnJ5UAiRs

Not my favorite level, and certainly not the most memorable, but for every 1 average level (and it isn't that bad a level, despite the whining of the guy in the video, who really does seem to be whining) there are 5 outstanding memorable levels in the game.

Still the best FPS of all time.

If you want a DOOM game with bad level design, check out Final DOOM, now THAT is a game with some weak levels.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I don't like that old level design. It's just confusing for no reason. I don't care about navigating the map. JML897

That's the thing about Doom levels - they were complex, but being complex doesn't automatically make the level design good. It's not like you would beat the levels by solving puzzles or anything. It was just "wander around aimlessly until you finally find the key/switch you're looking for".

I love Doom, it's one of my favorite games. It's just that once I get to the second episode, almost every level from there on out makes me think "oh damnit, I hate this level because of all the running in circles I know I'm going to do". Doom II can be even worse in that regard; some of the levels in that game are atrocious.

Some of the best and most memorable levels in FPS history, not sure where you are coming at.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I don't like that old level design. It's just confusing for no reason. I don't care about navigating the map. AFBrat77

This level is complete garbage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwBnJ5UAiRs
voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I don't like that old level design. It's just confusing for no reason. I don't care about navigating the map. In MP especially, just keep it fairly open so it's not cover spam. Tribes Ascend does it nicely.

Just quit tribes.. fire up quake 3 arena and play on map Q3DM17.. u will know what i mean