Do you ever skip the first game in a trilogy and move onto the second or third?

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

I don't play every title, but sometimes skipping a game can be to severe detriment. Mass Effect, for example.

heljar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 heljar
Member since 2016 • 176 Posts

I don't purposely do it, but I've often played later games in the sequel because I don't discover them until the sequel arrives. Like Zelda, or Metal Gear Solid. FFVII was the very first FF game I played. Haven't gone back and played the others. I think my first Hitman was Blood Money.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Heavily depends if the first game is needed to understand the mechanics or world of a game, and how late I am to the party.

Resident Evil I started with Outbreak, felt the need to go back and play older titles.

Divinity: Original Sin II is based some two hundred years after the first game. And the world changed heavily, so feel no need to go back.

So overall it varies. I've played every mainline Monster Hunter game, even though I don't think it was needed for continuity reasoning for many of the games. However for those who only just dived in with World. A few of the characters and even the Rotten Vale are linked to MH4.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

I don't like to do that but I have. I never played the original witcher but I bought the Witcher 2 on 360 and Witcher 3 on PS4. I also never played a monster hunter till MH: World. But other then those games.. no.

Edit: My first Resident Evil was RE2 on PS1. But I played the first one after it was remade on gamecube.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I honestly try not to but sometimes you discover things that have been out for so long that it's kind of hard to go back.

- Only played The Witcher 3.

- Persona 4 Golden was my first Persona. Then I went back and played Persona 3 Portable then Persona 5. Eventually I'll get to the original Persona then the two Persona 2's (Innocent Sin & Eternal Punishment) The first game looks so bad, though.

- Fallout 4 was my first Fallout. I really don't like it but I will try Fallout 3 & Fallout: New Vegas to see the series at it's best. I won't go back any further.

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

@valgaav_219 said:

- Fallout 4 was my first Fallout. I really don't like it but I will try Fallout 3 & Fallout: New Vegas to see the series at it's best. I won't go back any further.

Play 3 and NV only on the PC. You will want mods to fix them. The engine for 3 was a buggy mess and NV in particular suffered for it.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

It may happen if I get interested in a series due to a sequel whereas the first game either was out of my radar or never appealed to me. Like others, I only played the Witcher 2 and 3.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#10 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Usually if each game has a standalone story then yeah, sometimes. Games like FF come to mind or the Tales of series.

I was going to skip the original Rayman only seeing as I heard how hard it was but I ended up beating it anyway. I feel as if sometimes it's more rewarding playing each game in a series and experiencing everything there is to offer.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#11 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts
@baelnergal said:

You will want mods to fix them. The engine for 3 was a buggy mess and NV in particular suffered for it.

Bethesda Studio and even the New Vegas game you mentioned use Gamebryo as its game engine which hasn't had a relative update since 2003.

It's also worth noting that both the next The Elder Scrolls and StarField will also be using Gamebryo.

Play 3 and NV only on the PC.

Or you know. . Play Morrowind with Overhaul 3.0 because it's a better game and easier to install the mod-kit. Basically fixes itself.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

The original Dead Rising is the only Dead Rising I enjoyed.

The Witcher storyline is actually pretty good, definitely better than the second. I also prefer the combat which is more of a paper/scissor/rock style - not great, but better than 3, imo. It also features Geralt in his most controversial form, and I am morbidly curious how a game like that if released today would fare in the press and on twitter.

skipping AC1 is probably a good call.

I feel like games are more likely to fall apart in the sequels than they are to get better. Prince of Persia, Dead Rising...like imagine if you started with DMC2.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Usually only if it's a really old series I never got into when I was younger. Never played any of the Elder Scrolls games before Skyrim or any of the Divinity games before Original Sin.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

I did this with Uncharted. Heard the stories can stand alone and that Uncharted 2 was an improvement in every way and the best game in the series. It was not a good game though and I dont think I'll touch the others.