Do u guys think collectors Ed are worth it???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fralee3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fralee3
Member since 2010 • 104 Posts
My bro bought ff13 for $130 AUD ( $140.99 USD, 86.49 GBP) I think it's a waste of money!
fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts
Depends on the collectors edition and how much it costs. I thought the Killzone 3 collectors edition was pretty cool, with the Helghast mask (also considering the fact that you could find it for as cheap as 50 dollars after a few months of release).
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

It always depends on what's in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Not to me. I use my money on things others would find dumb though.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Just like someone has said before me, it depends on the collector's edition.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

It depends on the game, what's in it, and what the game/series means to you. I mean I think my Fallout 3 / NV collector's editions are worth every penny I paid for them but then I'm a huge fan of the series.

disneyanime91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 disneyanime91
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts

Depends on who you are, and your preferences. To avid fans and collectors like me, collector's editions are almost always worth it; if not for the exclusive merchandise (statues, soundtracks, action figures, artbooks, etc. that line my shelves), then at least the resale value. From personal experience, a collector's edition can easily jump to twice or thrice its value in a matter of years - I had aHalo 3collector's edition (data/artbook and metal casing) worth SGD90, and sold it off for at SGD180 to a collector about three years later, when they were no longer in print, despite it being an opened copy.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

It all depends on what is given in 'said' collector's edition. So far, the only one I felt was really worth my money was Halo Reach Legendary Edition. The God of War 3 Pandora's Box edition was a POC, imho. My next CE purchase will be Gears of War Epic edition which I think will be worth it, although I think it's slightly overpriced. It should be $99-120, not the $150 they are asking for.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

The first time I ever bought a collectors/special edition was Star Fox 64. It cost me like 140 bucks.

I beat the game in like 3 hours.

Started swearing and returned it.

Last time I bought a collectors edition. Perhaps if they provided some form of permanent benefit to your characters like exp or stat bonus, or unique items that aren't just eye candy like useless pets I'd buy them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Depends on three things for me:

1) what is in the CE? they are not all just the same, and some CEs have some pretty nice AND useful things (mostly ingame items I look at when determing something like that)

2) Is the game developed by a company you really like and want to support? making of vids and so on, CAN be quite intertaining to watch, when its about a dev you care about, and they often offer an insight in how thier game development will evolve.

3) Kind of like nr.2 but If it is a SERIES you like then it might be worth it to support the series (if it swaps, or shifts Devs).

Like with most things, everything is worth it for someone. I rarely buy CE's of games, except if they are games I want to support, or so rare that setting or genre is not often used. Mostly tho, unless the CE offer some nice ingame things (I do not really care about statues and such of gaming characters, or trinkets)? Then I will pass, with the exception that the game has a really nice soundtrack that is packed in, then I might (Ive Preordered the CE of DE:HR due to a mix of Syberpunk being an underused setting, the ingame items look rather fun, and the soundtrack from the trailers sounds really REALLY nice)

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

No.

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
depends on the game and what it comes with
Avatar image for phantomblade220
phantomblade220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 phantomblade220
Member since 2010 • 958 Posts

For me, not at all. The whole action figure/ collectibles mean nothing to me. The only time a CE would be appealing is if it came with added extras in-game. Otherwise I believe its a waste of money.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I'm a huge sucker for collectors editions, especially the ones put out by Blizzard.
mission76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 mission76
Member since 2007 • 673 Posts

I have said in the past that I am probably one of the older people still using this board. But coming from the perspective of someone in thier early 30's I have to say that the Collector editions are the biggest blatant cash grab and waste of moneythat the video game industry ever came out with. I guess if your an early teen having a cheap plastic toy gun from Gears of War or a Batarang from batman might be something you would want to put on your shelf...but you will get older very quickly and that thing will just be some childish toy that's collecting dust.You'll realize how much money you wasted on these things rather than saving up for something worthwhile..like a nice car or vacation or one of the 1,000 other things more worthwhile. 60 dollars for a game is more than enough

I won't even say what I would think of a 20 something or someone my age who collects and displays these things so as to not offend anyone

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44453 Posts
That's a pretty broad question as it depends on a number of factors such as if your a really big fan of the game, what extras are included, the quality of the extras, the overall cost, etc. I've purchased a few CE's of game I really liked and have been happy with those and I also plan to get more CE's of some upcoming games. Right now I'm really digging the Gears of War 3 Epic Edition.
koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
CE's are the best way to satisfy the inner nerd in me :P I absolutely love owning statues and trinkets of my favorite game characters and such.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

In my opinion, no, at least 95% of the time.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Obviously that depends entirely on the game, whats included and the cost. I'm willing to shell out an extra $20-30 for something I know I will enjoy and hold onto for quite a while. I've never payed over $100 for a collectors edition though, and I don't plan to.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#20 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Almost never. They cram some extras that cost next to nothing to produce and jack up the price $10-$30 (or more), selling it to gamers who thrive on the collecting aspect of gaming or who just want what appears to be the 'best' version of any given game. Suckers.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#21 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Quick, tell me I'm insane for ordering both the CE of the 360 version of Catherine and the regular PS3 version of Catherine so that I cancel one of them like a normal person.DJ_Lae
ahem....>.>
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#22 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Quick, tell me I'm insane for ordering both the CE of the 360 version of Catherine and the regular PS3 version of Catherine so that I cancel one of them like a normal person.Allicrombie
ahem....>.>

I plan on dressing my girlfriend in the contents of the CE, though. The pillowcase I'm throwing away.

edit - I'm still a sucker though

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Quick, tell me I'm insane for ordering both the CE of the 360 version of Catherine and the regular PS3 version of Catherine so that I cancel one of them like a normal person.DJ_Lae

ahem....>.>

I plan on dressing my girlfriend in the contents of the CE, though. The pillowcase I'm throwing away.

Send the pillowcase to me and I'll sew your name "DJ_Lae" onto it. (:
greendayR0cks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 greendayR0cks
Member since 2010 • 238 Posts

Well, it really depends on the Collectors Edition and if your really into the game series or not. To me, I think they're a waste of money. All I need is the game and thats it.

ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

For me, no. But Im not much of a collector so perhaps Im not the best person to answer such a question.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Depends on the price difference and the content. I don't mind paying an extra $10 for a psp game with a soundtrack and some cards, but I don't even look at the PS3/360 ones that cost $80.

kingkarl123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kingkarl123
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

Well i have pre orderd the Dark souls Collectors edition which is actually only £40 and you get a guide, sound track, bonus dvd and artbook

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#28 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Most often than not, they're not worth they money, but some are REALLY interesting, like the 300 dollar version of Dirt 3 that includes the RC vehicle. If I had that much money, I'd definitely get it.
GammaTru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GammaTru
Member since 2011 • 84 Posts
I'll echo previous comments and say it depends. It also depends on what you want from the game. I've bought a few collectors editions before, such as Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fable 3. I personally loved the Oblivion one as it came with the coin, and it was nice for me to have a physical object from the game, such as a coin. I did like the Fallout 3 collectors edition as well, especially for the bobble head. But, that one ended up being somewhat of a regretted purchase, as I paid 50 for it and only a few weeks later did I start seeing shelves and piles of the collectors edition selling in game shops for half of that. I really disliked the Fable 3 one though, biggest waste of money. It came with ingame DLC and some cards. The cards were never opened and the DLC was a rip off. I basically paid extra for a nice box. I'll certainly not do that again.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

nope, i just want the game but honestly if i had extra cash to throw around and a collector edition had really cool stuff i would buy it

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

as a collector: Yes they are most of the time, there's rarely a CE I don't get ^^

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#32 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
I'm a collector, but lately it seems that collector's editions haven't really been worth it. Catherine is the only one that I really wanted...but sadly bills come first. :(
findan133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 findan133
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I personally believe the collectors editions of games are a waste of money ever since someone (grandma) bought me the halo legendary edition. The legendary came with the following items *game *behind the scenes cd 1 *behind the scene cd 2 * helmet (that you cant even wear even though its full sized!) * halo legends story board booklet All of these things aside from the actual game have been sitting in the closet ever since the first 2 days I had it. and if I had the choice of buying the game for 60$ or buying the collectors for double that amount for a couple of items that will sit in my closet, I would chose the normal edition any day.
SirRiffAlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SirRiffAlot
Member since 2008 • 256 Posts

It depends on what the Collector's Edition has in it. If it's just early access to DLC, then no, the extra $10-20 bucks is a waste but if it's got something nifty like a statue then I'd say, go for it. I also believe that the worth of a collector's edition depends on how much the person wants the game; I'm really excited for Batman: AC, so I know I'll be grabbing it's collector's edition but I can live without the Saint's Row 3 CE.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Depends what's in it and how significant the game is to me. I am planning on getting the Epic edition of GOW3 since its a game that has pretty much revolutionised the current console gen and I would like something to remember it. But I would not just buy it for any old game.
IDeedItDaBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IDeedItDaBest
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
They're certainly worth having if you're a fan of the franchise. They're overpriced though. The Infamous 2 Hero Edition sold for an outrageous $100, and now not two months later Gamestop lowered the price to $60, which I found to be a perfect price so I jumped on it. Clearly they overshot the level of anticipation.
fralee3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fralee3
Member since 2010 • 104 Posts
They're certainly worth having if you're a fan of the franchise. They're overpriced though. The Infamous 2 Hero Edition sold for an outrageous $100, and now not two months later Gamestop lowered the price to $60, which I found to be a perfect price so I jumped on it. Clearly they overshot the level of anticipation.IDeedItDaBest
Lol man hero edition over here in Aus is like $188 don't know why u complaining.
gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

i only ever got the infamous 2 one, which came with a backpack, which i am always using. so totally worth it.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#39 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

personally I thinkcollectors editions are just a scam, but that's just my opinion.. everyones different!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Quick, tell me I'm insane for ordering both the CE of the 360 version of Catherine and the regular PS3 version of Catherine so that I cancel one of them like a normal person.DJ_Lae

ahem....>.>

Buy to CE and ship one of them to me. It isn't released in Europe :(
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

For me, they're not worth it. I'm not big on "toys" that come with games, and usually the extra content in the games is usually pretty lame. But a bigger reason for me is that I often trade in games after I've beaten them a few times -- and collectors editions aren't accepted as trades at many places.

Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Morrdecai
Member since 2011 • 587 Posts
I can't remember the last time I bought a collectors edition. I'm happy with the game and a box.
Evolution-X0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Evolution-X0
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
Some are, most are not.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Depends on the game and contents. I'll get them for a game I REALLY want (assuming the price is ok) like Mass Effect 3, or for games published by Atlus or NISA. The ones by Atlus and NISA tend to become expensive and hard to find after awhile.

Most other CE usually drop in price shortly after release, making them a waste to buy immediately.

Rheinmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 1

#45 Rheinmetal
Member since 2008 • 1235 Posts

No and never. As a general principle: a true collector's item never has any stamp on it that reads so.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Quick, tell me I'm insane for ordering both the CE of the 360 version of Catherine and the regular PS3 version of Catherine so that I cancel one of them like a normal person.Allicrombie
ahem....>.>

Actually I was wondering last night if the collector's edition of this game might actually turn out to be worth something someday, given the difficulty I had finding the game in general