Do these games still hold up?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Josiah49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Josiah49
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I'm thinking about getting these games for the ps2, do they still hold up? Max Payne Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy Hitman 2 Red Faction Socom 3 Turok Evolution Deus Ex Thanks for the help.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I'm thinking about getting these games for the ps2, do they still hold up? Max Payne Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy Hitman 2 Red Faction Socom 3 Turok Evolution Deus Ex Thanks for the help.Josiah49

Max Payne 1 on the PS2 isn't a good port, you'll just taint your opinion by playing it.. the PC version is much better and it has aged gracefully. Great gameplay, excellent story, great characters and a good lenght.

Deus Ex is a horrible port on the PS2. On the PC version is also infinitely better, but technically it had mediocre graphics, mediocre gunplay and a bad AI in 2000, let alone today. It's still a great game if you're not bothered by these cons, but if you are, check the link in my signature and apply every mod there.

Thus you'll have much better graphics, much better AI, better gunplay and all the bugs fixed. So there's nothing that's going to hinder your enjoyment with it. And it is one of my favorite games of all times.

It would a damn shame if you start with the PS2 versions of these games, these are excellent games on the PC but unfortunately the ports to the PS2 are just bad.

Don't know about the rest.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Get Red Faction 2 instead of Red Faction. It's a much better game...
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Get Red Faction 2 instead of Red Faction. It's a much better game...superclocked

Agreed.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Josiah49"]I'm thinking about getting these games for the ps2, do they still hold up? Max Payne Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy Hitman 2 Red Faction Socom 3 Turok Evolution Deus Ex Thanks for the help.Lucianu

Max Payne 1 on the PS2 isn't a good port, you'll just taint your opinion by playing it.. the PC version is much better and it has aged gracefully. Great gameplay, excellent story, great characters and a good lenght.

Deus Ex is a horrible port on the PS2. On the PC version is also infinitely better, but technically it had mediocre graphics, mediocre gunplay and a bad AI in 2000, let alone today. It's still a great game if you're not bothered by these cons, but if you are, check the link in my signature and apply every mod there.

Thus you'll have much better graphics, much better AI, better gunplay and all the bugs fixed. So there's nothing that's going to hinder your enjoyment with it. And it is one of my favorite games of all times.

It would a damn shame if you start with the PS2 versions of these games, these are excellent games on the PC but unfortunately the ports to the PS2 are just bad.

Don't know about the rest.

this man speaks the truth. Hitman 2 on the PS2 is a decent port, and its a decent version , though the Xbox or PC versions would be better, and the PC version does work on a new PC. Jak and Daxter is still a good platformer, its not quite as good as Jak 2 and 3 , but it is a fun game (even if it does have a bit of a collectathon feel to it)
Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

[QUOTE="superclocked"]Get Red Faction 2 instead of Red Faction. It's a much better game...Emerald_Warrior

Agreed.

Nonono NO!

Edit: Maybe because i played the first one on PC, and the second on the PS2,

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I'm thinking about getting these games for the ps2, do they still hold up?

Max Payne - I still enjoy it, though by some folks' view it hasn't aged well. I would still buy it for a dollar or two.

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - Haven't played it.

Hitman 2 - Good stuff. I'd go ahead with this one.

Red Faction - Pass on this one.Well, maybe. I'm torn, honestly.If it's cheap enough, buy it.

Socom 3 - Wasn't very good when it came out, so again, Pass.

Turok Evolution - Stink-O, Pass unless you're a BIG Turok fan.

Deus Ex - I'm one of the few people who feels this game is good on the PS2. People who say "Get It For PC" drive me nuts. Some of us just don't game on PC. I'd say go ahead and get this one, it's still one of my favorite games on PS2, and I just played through it earlier this year so my opinion is fresh. I Like it a lot. It's not a perfect port, but it's VERY enjoyable none-the-less.

Thanks for the help. - Any Time.Josiah49

Uloset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Uloset
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

I'd get the original Jak which is one of the best pure platformers on teh system, the rest of the games can be played on any old PC at a much better resolutions.

I loved Red Faction but was disappointed with the sequel since Geomod was put to better use in the original game and secondly the single player campaign was infinitely better in the RF1.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I loved Red Faction but was disappointed with the sequel since Geomod was put to better use in the original game and secondly the single player campaign was infinitely better in the RF1.

Uloset

Really? I felt the sequel improved on a lot of areas. It was awesome to blow through the walls for the first time in the orginal. But that was really the main hook in the first game. The 2nd game improved immensly in the story department. The missions were fun. And the world in which the game resided seemed to have it's own personality. What was really great about it, is that while it was a serious story about revolution, the game also had a great sense of humor at times.

They also really improved on the whole "blowing through walls" thing. There were many spots in the original where you wasted bombs and ammo trying to blow through walls that just led to a solid unblowable wall in the end. That got frustrating at times. In the sequel, it was a little easer to spot where it would actually be useful to blow through walls.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#10 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Red Faction 2 is better than the first.

Jak and Daxter, and I know I'm the minority with this thinking, is my favorite of the trilogy.

Max Payne, while the PC version is better, is still a good game. It hasn't aged so well, but it is still a good game.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

[QUOTE="superclocked"]Get Red Faction 2 instead of Red Faction. It's a much better game...Emerald_Warrior

Agreed.

WAT?! Yeah for multiplayer maybe but the singleplayer from RF2 is a complete joke, nothing compared to RF1. RF1 was much longer, had much more diverse locations, had more use of the destructable environments, a better story, more enjoyable weapons (arguably), ...
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Turok Evolution didn't hold up back then. The Max Payne games are still fun shoot 'em ups.

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
Max Payne - it's a terrible port, regardless its worth a dollar or two. Jak and Daxter - still a lot of fun, but jak2+3 are better. Hitman 2 - great port, holds up well along with the rest of the hitman games Red Faction - had lots of fun with this back in the day, multiplayer holds up better then the campaign. Socom 3 - probably the best socom, not sure what the online community is like these days. Turok Evolution - i hated it and for some reason played the hell out of it. if i popped it in now i'd probably get a headache, the n64 games are less awkward. Deus Ex - haven't played the ps2 port, heard its not god awful but its a bit dumbed downed.
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Stay away from the PS2 port of Deus Ex,it´s terrible,super choppy framerate,having to pause the game to use augmentations completely breaking the gameplay flow that is key on DX,lack of certain parts of levels and side missions and constant long loading times almost everywhere throughout the levels,not to mention that,even though DX was never a looker,it looks absolutely dreadful on the port.

Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="superclocked"]Get Red Faction 2 instead of Red Faction. It's a much better game...PetJel

Agreed.

WAT?! Yeah for multiplayer maybe but the singleplayer from RF2 is a complete joke, nothing compared to RF1. RF1 was much longer, had much more diverse locations, had more use of the destructable environments, a better story, more enjoyable weapons (arguably), ...

Red Faction had the better multiplayer.

chaosclown17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 chaosclown17
Member since 2010 • 307 Posts

I'm thinking about getting these games for the ps2, do they still hold up? Max Payne Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy Hitman 2 Red Faction Socom 3 Turok Evolution Deus Ex Thanks for the help.Josiah49
I can only speak for a two of these.

I didn't much care for Max Payne. If you want something I found to be better get Dead to Rights, I loved that game.

There was a collection released for the Jak and Daxter series, it contained all three of the main games but on next gen consoles. I personally have only played the other two so I can't say otherwise.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
I think most of them will, minus Turok .
bkong0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bkong0
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Deus Ex still holds up really well, I played that one again maybe a year ago. Plus if you feel like it, you can get texture packs and the like to make it look way better.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Deus Ex still holds up really well, I played that one again maybe a year ago. Plus if you feel like it, you can get texture packs and the like to make it look way better.bkong0

He said PS2 games.