Do or die- can older MMOs survive the changing times?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

csveiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 csveiman
Member since 2012 • 42 Posts
Though Tera is not a great game in itself, due for the most part to uninspired quest content, it has set a new standard for MMO combat, a feature that has allowed those who have played Tera to overlook dull questing and stay invested on the game. With Teras escalating popularity and how combat alone pulled an otherwise bad mmo into stardom, game developers are soon likely to follow in its footsteps and MMOs are bound to get far more active, action-wise. But what about the MMOs already out there such as World of Warcraft or Lord of the Rings online, even the newly arrived Star Wars The Old Republic; would developers be able to, somehow, redesign their games to meet the new standards of action and combat?. Certainly in the game developers have observed and known how fast the industry is evolving and must have known that there would be a point where such games would need to be modified. Or was it always expected for MMOs to have a limited life span?
SnuffDaddyNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 SnuffDaddyNZ
Member since 2002 • 1133 Posts

I don't wanna give an opinion about a game I haven't played, but I think Tera is in a weird spot. There's gonna be better action only games out there, and there's gonna be better traditional rpg's.

What I feel is the biggest problem though, is if you go the route of where you aim is where you shoot, well then the game becomes either too easy, or too difficult. How do you tune a boss fight when player "skill" is going to vary so much?

Also, net latency is going to kill the game. There's a reason I play Battlefield 3 on local servers and not ones in europe for example.. TERA will get a base, but it will never go beyond that because of net latency...unless they decide to pull a SWTOR and put servers in other countries, that could do it.

elcortino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 elcortino
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I haven't played tera (just never got to put me to it ;) ) I do know some MMO's or MMORGP's who are real oldskool still work for players. Like a game i played like 12 years ago The fourth coming (T4C) sometime i still go and check the game and find interesting new things.. keeps the gamers mind happy ;) I do think some games still survive in the up rise of new games.